• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Chase17

To be fair, the localisation times are to blame for this gap year being more "brutal".

2015 was the first year since 1997 where there was no main series game released in the three major territories.

1996: Red/Green (Japan), Blue (Japan)
1997: Nothing
1998: Yellow (Japan), Red/Blue (US)
1999: Blue (Retail - Japan), Gold/Silver (Japan), Yellow (US), Red/Blue (EU)
2000: Crystal (Japan), Gold/Silver (US), Yellow (EU)
2001: Crystal (US), Gold/Silver (EU), Crystal (EU)
2002: Ruby & Sapphire (Japan)
2003: Ruby & Sapphire (US, EU)
2004: FireRed & LeafGreen (Japan, US, EU), Emerald (Japan)
2005: Emerald (US, EU)
2006: Diamond & Pearl (Japan)
2007: Diamond & Pearl (US, EU)
2008: Platinum (Japan)
2009: HeartGold & SoulSilver (Japan), Platinum (US, EU)
2010: Black & White (Japan), HeartGold & SoulSilver (US, EU)
2011: Black & White (US, EU)
2012: Black 2 & White 2 (Japan, US, EU)
2013: X & Y (Japan, US, EU)
2014: Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire (Japan, US, EU)
2015: Nothing

As such, even though the games had been out in Japan for ~6 months, the west had just got them so they were busy there.

This was all due to localisations gradually shrinking down to be nothing. If they were still ~4-6 months, we'd have had 2013 as our gap year in the west, and had XY in 2014 and ORAS in 2015 and this "long gruelling" gap between reveals wouldn't have felt anywhere near as bad.

Still though. We've had longer between release and reveal before

DP launch -> Platinum reveal = 20 months
BW launch -> B2W2 reveal = 17 months

We're currently approaching 14 months since ORAS. Plenty of time.
I always forget that the US got a Pokemon game for six straight years before 2015. No wonder this has felt like a long wait. I think it's the constant teases has something to do with it too (same reason it was tough to wait for smash 3ds/wii u). On the flip side, as there has been very little info on Zelda U, the wait hasn't been that bad.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/movies...departure.html

Wow. I seriously feel for this guy. In some ways, the final paragraph of this article ruins the whole movie for me. What a stupid decision on the script writer's part.

Not to disrespect but...

I'd argue his shit are the things people hate in the anime and I'm glad he's far away from the anime.

Ash as Nobita? Check. Ash not having powered mons? Check. Team Rocket as Doronbo Gang? Check.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Dunno if we can take it at face value, but the Verge article announcing the Twentieth Anniversary stuff reckons we aren't getting a new mainline game at all this year.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/12/10754086/pokemon-20th-anniversary-super-bowl-commercial

For the Verge to be correct they would have to ignore the Animé which is currently focusing on Zygarde and his forms and the fact that Volcanion was recently shown off.

In other words we're totally getting a main series game this year and the writer knows nothing about Pokémon and how the games is released.

Not to disrespect but...

I'd argue his shit are the things people hate in the anime and I'm glad he's far away from the anime.

Ash as Nobita? Check. Ash not having powered mons? Check. Team Rocket as Doronbo Gang? Check.

Yeah Ash during the Kanto and Jotho arc had an underdeveloped team, It took till Sinnoh for him to have an awesome team.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Nendoroid_Red_Trainer.jpg

I WANT THIS

Chase17

Scrolled through the mythical Pokemon events. Mew will be the only one I'm in trouble for since it's gamestop exclusive while I'm at school. Hopefully there will be a work around.

I wonder what the price will be on this championship red.

Scrolled through the mythical Pokemon events. Mew will be the only one I'm in trouble for since it's gamestop exclusive while I'm at school. Hopefully there will be a work around.

should be not much different from the original Red nendo

I was excited when I saw it in the trailer then I saw Pokémon Center exclusive and I was like of course why would Europe get it. ¬_¬;

Really hope that Europe gets that.
the only way is to import :<
have a feeling that it will be Pokemon Store/Center exclusive in Japan & GoodSmile Online store exclusive for SEA like other Pokemon nendos

Busaiku

It lasts the month.
You could drop by on weekends or something.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Still not that a lot of catching up, so the gap is still close.

What Strongest Mega Evolution is the dub now?

If Z not being announced was puzzling before, it's outright baffling now. Where the hell is it?

Also, the year-long Mythical distribution may well deconfirm that theory that we were going to get Mega Mew in the Volcanion movie.

Chase17

If Z not being announced was puzzling before, it's outright baffling now. Where the hell is it?

Also, the year-long Mythical distribution may well deconfirm that theory that we were going to get Mega Mew in the Volcanion movie.
They might not want Z to overshadow the other announcements.

JoeM86

Do note that they're hyping Pokémon Day. That's as good a day as any to reveal stuff.

Fun fact, four years ago, Black 2 & White 2 were revealed the day before Pokémon Day.
Dunno if we can take it at face value, but the Verge article announcing the Twentieth Anniversary stuff reckons we aren't getting a new mainline game at all this year.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/12/10754086/pokemon-20th-anniversary-super-bowl-commercial

That really is such a stretch man.

Let's all just remember that they are not going to miss two calendar years without a main series game. Especially as Yo-kai Watch exists.

Chase17

I would lose my mind if Z was announced/teased in the Super Bowl ad.

It won't happen since it's US centric and the press release makes it pretty clear that it's just hyping the 20th year. Hopefully Z is announced on Feb 27th or soon after though.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I wonder if Google will have Doodle for when Pokémon turns 20?

also the dub is starting up again on Feb 20th and we have a logo for it

Z looks like its' spooning Y with X going "What the hell man?"

"Pokémon Z" announcement will be a big thing, so better to hold it back so it doesn't overshadow the other news.

Do note that they're hyping Pokémon Day. That's as good a day as any to reveal stuff.

When is Pokémon Day?

I would lose my mind if Z was announced/teased in the Super Bowl ad.

It won't happen since it's US centric and the press release makes it pretty clear that it's just hyping the 20th year. Hopefully Z is announced on Feb 27th or soon after.

They might as well, since the 20th celebration was US centric.

I just don't understand why they would explicitly hype up the games coming out in the twentieth anniversary, and then not mention the centrepiece.

It would have overshadowed the other announcements if it was announced today, that much is true, but that just means they should have announced it beforehand.

JoeM86

I just don't understand why they would explicitly hype up the games coming out in the twentieth anniversary, and then not mention the centrepiece.

It would have overshadowed the other announcements if it was announced today, that much is true, but that just means they should have announced it beforehand.

Because it's not out on the 20th anniversary.

It's coming. I assure you.

Not to disrespect but...

I don't think Ash having underpowered mons is his fault at all. If anything, he's the one responsible for making Team Rocket as beloved as they are. All of your other complaints should go to the other staff. The episodes he did write were pretty damn good.

Chase17

I think it would make most sense for the super bowl ad to have a big focus on Go. That's a huge audience watching, many of who would probably be willing try out a free download if they heard about it.

Depends on when Go will launch though I guess. Then again, the reveal trailer came out of nowhere and that spread around just fine.

Gengahrrr

No release date for the Champion Red figure?

I love the use of all the starters for the 20th anniversary logo. Hypothetically, if we were getting Gen 7 this year, it would have been cool to leave three missing spaces in the logo to be filled in later with the Gen 7 starters upon announcement.

Chase17

No release date for the Champion Red figure?

I love the use of all the starters for the 20th anniversary logo. Hypothetically, if we were getting Gen 7 this year, it would have been cool to leave three missing spaces in the logo to be filled in later with the Gen 7 starters upon announcement.
The logo is fantastic!

Top Bottom