• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Gen VII's region to be based on Germany confirmed.

Or the UK please god.

I still want Gen VII to be based on Australia.
Australia is just so damn perfect for a Pokemon region, from the land itself to the animals that live there. I guess Kalos being post game could still work with that, have the Australia region be to the west across the ocean and you go to Kalos on a boat or something.

JoeM86

Maybe they'll do a half generation/Gen 6.5.

No such thing. If there's new Pokémon, it's a new generation.

I still want Gen VII to be based on Australia.
Australia is just so damn perfect for a Pokemon region, from the land itself to the animals that live there. I guess Kalos being post game could still work with that, have the Australia region be to the west across the ocean and you go to Kalos on a boat or something.

orre.jpg

Not based on Australia, of course, but it's basically it. Cities on the edge by water and then deserts of nothing and various things trying to kill you in it.

orre.jpg

Not based on Australia, of course, but it's basically it. Cities on the edge by water and then deserts of nothing and various things trying to kill you in it.

Ehhh, that's not really that similar to Australia, Australia has lots of diversity, from sandy deserts to lush jungles and just about everything in between.
Also a water route based on the Great Barrier Reef would be godly and the Sydney Opera House is just begging to be a gym.

I think that IF (and emphasis on if here) Z isn't happening this year, it'll be because plans changed, not because they never planned to do it in the first place.

If, for example, Game Freak decided to make a concerted effort to get onto Nintendo's next console as early as possible this time in order to establish a foothold on the platform before any pressing competition *coughYokaiWatchcough* could make the jump, and were then told that Nintendo were pressing forward with the plans for the NX earlier than they initially intended, I could imagine them sacrificing Z in order to ensure that they are able to turn more resources towards getting the next generation out as soon as possible, leaving them with a variety of formes that they have to give an anime arc to in the absence of them getting their own game.

Hey, it's all just speculation, but that's the fun of it!

If that were the case, I'd prefer that not to happen. We've seen what Game Freak is like when coming to new hardware, with the exception of the GBA (although animated sprites weren't added until Emerald). The first set of games are generally poorly optimized. If they were to release a new game within months of the new system, especially if "Z" was canned in the process, therefore being rushed, I'd dread to see how it would turn out.

Funnily enough, Diamond/Pearl were delayed an entire year and I don't think Game Freak ever specified why. Though I'm sure the game's slow speed might have had something to do with it.

Chase17

I'd be upset if there isn't another Kalos game. I think it could really benefit from a 3rd iteration (or even XZ/YZ), maybe more so than past gens.

Then again, it would mean gen 7 is sooner than later so I'd probably get over it pretty quick.

Pokken roster gets better and better. I'm really surprised by Braixen being chosen. I'm glad they are willing to go with a middle evolution.

Magni

Get an email from TPC about a bunch of events this year... and cry because I'm moving to Japan on January 31st.

It's 20-fucking-16, why do I need to go to a physical location to get an event Pokémon? Why can I not get any event Pokémon with my US 3DS when I live in Japan?

:'(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Would they really "affect the entire world", though? Maybe if Bond evolutions are a wider thing than just Greninja, but even then formes and Megas aren't normally hyped up this much unless they're something genuinely new and big like Mega Mewtwo Y was. Hell, even the Mythical legendaries aren't generally built up like this.

I mean, I've expanded on why I think we're probably getting a Gen VII Pokémon at some point this year elsewhere, so it wouldn't shock me if it was next month it was happening.

Mega was hyped up though, I remember it being called "Scoop of the Century".

JoeM86

Get an email from TPC about a bunch of events this year... and cry because I'm moving to Japan on January 31st.

It's 20-fucking-16, why do I need to go to a physical location to get an event Pokémon? Why can I not get any event Pokémon with my US 3DS when I live in Japan?

:'(

Event distributions mostly don't exist to give you a Pokémon. (Granted, these ones do)

Besides, only 4 of the 11 are in store. The rest are Nintendo Network distributions.

Mega was hyped up though, I remember it being called "Scoop of the Century".
Well, yes, that was for the reveal of the whole Mega concept, which was undoubtedly a huge reveal. Individual Megas haven't had that kind of promotion, and unless they work significantly different than how we've been led to believe I don't think Bond Evolutions would either- Ash-Greninja is being treated like Mega Greninja by another name.

Boss Doggie

I dunno, it has that "affects the trainer" thing.

I can feel that it could be one of Z's selling features.

so it would basically be a stronger mega that if it gets knocked out you lose the match right there, yeah i don't really like that

also do we have a high rez version of the coloured version of the 20th logo yet?

I dunno, once you've got past the concept of new temporary forms for old Pokémon, all else is window-dressing really. There may be some extra mechanic to it, but it is just a different type of Mega, by and large.

JoeM86

I dunno, once you've got past the concept of new temporary forms for old Pokémon, all else is window-dressing really. There may be some extra mechanic to it, but it is just a different type of Mega, by and large.

Yep. I rewatched the September 2013 Pokémon Direct the other day and they way they were explaining Mega Evolution was pretty much the same concept as Ash-Greninja

-Horizon-

I don't remember when I got into the series, I was a wee boy, but I remember I had been begging my parents for Pokemon for a long time (I didn't even have my own GameBoy, I was just going to play it on my older brother's) and then come Christmas 99 I got a GameBoy Color and Pokemon Red, I went crazy.

Man, I've been wondering for a long time how I got so into Pokemon without having the channel the anime aired on or having any of the games. It wasn't through one of my brothers and I know it wasn't through any friends because I didn't make any friends that were into Pokemon until after I already had my GameBoy. The only think I can think is that maybe I saw something in a store or a commercial and it grabbed me. I guess it might have been the TCG too though, but for some reason I want to say I didn't start getting Pokemon cards until 2000.

The games didn't actually get me into the series. It was definitely the anime and card game craze at recess that got me. And then the teachers banned them "pokeman" cards because they were getting stolen or there was fighting over them and that the kids weren't playing at recess anymore and were just huddled in a circle staring at shiny cards lol.

I don't know if anyone remembers but there used to be lunchables or something like that that had pokemon themed boxes. On the back of the box were a whole grid of different pokemon that you could get a pair of scissors to cut out and then on the other side there would be info on the pokemon. I remember I got a mewtwo and some other thing given to me haha.

I don't think they cancelled Z to speed up gen 7. I think the fact they released ORAS with all legendaries except the mystic ones, was already a hint that they were not even thinking in Pokemon Z.

The fact that Thousand Arrows/Waves have been in the data since XY and that Zygarde has a noticeably lower BST compared to Xerneas/Yveltal means that they very likely do/had something big planned for Zygarde, and I would put emphasis on "do".

Both points are extremely similar to what happened with Kyurem, in that Freeze Shock and Ice Burn were left unused in Black/White, as well as Kyurem having a slightly lower BST than Reshiram/Zekrom.

I'm also pretty sure that you could catch all Pokemon in Gen III before Emerald was even released.

The fact that Thousand Arrows/Waves have been in the data since XY and that Zygarde has a noticeably lower BST compared to Xerneas/Yveltal means that they very likely do/had something big planned for Zygarde, and I would put emphasis on "do".

Both points are extremely similar to what happened with Kyurem, in that Freeze Shock and Ice Burn were left unused in Black/White as well as Kyurem having a slightly lower BST than Reshiram and Zekrom.

I'm also pretty sure that you could catch all Pokemon in Gen III before Emerald was even released.
I don't think you could get the Johto starters.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Nope, one of the biggest things about Colosseum was the fact you could obtain one of the Johto Starters (second form) in it.

Nope, one of the biggest things about Colosseum was the fact you could obtain one of the Johto Starters (second form) in it.

Yeah, and it seems like a lot of the Shadow Pokemon in Colosseum were purposefully left out of FRLG since they were released within a few months of each other in Japan. Emerald later filled in that gap.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Gen VII's region to be based on Germany confirmed.

Or the UK please god.

I would love them to do a region based on the UK.

Pokemon is a major system seller and if the NX is really a console-handheld hybrid, then it makes perfect sense to release it with Pokemon 7 in it's line up.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=168941342&highlight=#post168941342

I don't think they cancelled Z to speed up gen 7. I think the fact that they released ORAS with all legendaries except the mystic ones and all move tutors, was already a hint that they were not even thinking in Pokemon Z.

We aren't getting gen 7, because it makes no sense to cut Gen 6 life short unless Game Freak plans to tie gen 6 to gen 7 which is also unlikely.

Kalos' story is still unfinished and it's clear that "Pokémon Z" is going to be something special we just don't know what.

You could get all the Johto starters in Colosseum just that you could only get one during the main story with the other two post game.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Germany's neat.

I actually like working on little fan ideas for Pokemon games and I've been tossing around Germany---making it based around the idea of "marchen", fairy tales basically, would be cool since I really wanna see them dive into how Fairy Pokemon came about somewhat.

If they went with Germany a wolf, barn owl, and moose would be my Starter animals of choice.

Germany's neat.

I actually like working on little fan ideas for Pokemon games and I've been tossing around Germany---making it based around the idea of "marchen", fairy tales basically, would be cool since I really wanna see them dive into how Fairy Pokemon came about somewhat.

If they went with Germany a wolf, barn owl, and moose would be my Starter animals of choice.

CACTUS OWL LIVES!

Who else remembers that BW2 fake?

Malrend

Rather than Germany, gen VII should be set in Scandinavia, and all of the new pokemon should have three different forms, just because.
Would also open up plenty of surf routes.

Malrend

Why not both?
Think on this.. Three chocolate versions of a Grimer/Muk-esque line of Pokemon, dark, milk, and white..

Perhaps with crunchy bits.

Boss Doggie

We can finally have a chocolate pokemon...

...I'm surprised we still don't have one.

Anyway new anime ep today!

Boss Doggie

Wow, another great, emotional episode. Hahaha and as expected, another traumatic Bonnie episode.

Also this confirmes Z2 (blue core) hates humans and wants Z1 to destroy humans.

Also Noibat ep preview.

So judging by the episode... Breloom is a jerk who wants Floette all for himself and thinks Noibat is stealing her.

...what's with convulted love pairings in the Pokemon wild?

GoldStarz

orre.jpg

Gotta disagree, if we are gonna operate under the assumption that Megas are equal to new Pokemon
although tbh I'm still not sold on that sentiment
, then there's no reason we can't have a Gen 6.5. Just because it's never been done before, doesn't mean it can't be done. We never had a Pokemon game with a direct sequel before B2/W2 but it still happened.

Chase17

The time for Pokken to finally announce a gen 5 pokemon has almost come.

Expecting swampert to be revealed tomorrow. Gen 5 will eventually have its day.

Just watched the Hoopa movie.

How can a movie with pretty much every legendary doing battle in it be so dull?

Probably the worst Pokémon movie I've seen, although I haven't seen the Manaphy or Keldeo movies.

Boss Doggie

Just watched the Hoopa movie.

How can a movie with pretty much every legendary doing battle in it be so dull?

Probably the worst Pokémon movie I've seen, although I haven't seen the Manaphy or Keldeo movies.

Weird, I got a different impression.

Did you watch the dub by any chance?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Gotta disagree, if we are gonna operate under the assumption that Megas are equal to new Pokemon
although tbh I'm still not sold on that sentiment
, then there's no reason we can't have a Gen 6.5. Just because it's never been done before, doesn't mean it can't be done. We never had a Pokemon game with a direct sequel before B2/W2 but it still happened.

While I would love a gen 6.5 as it would make up for the low Kalos Pokémon count and give us more cross gen evolution. it's unlikely to happen for "Pokémon Z" as the the "third" version marks an end of the generation basically acting as its' swan song.

Yes, I did- it was admittedly a rather poor dub even by the franchise's standards, but I didn't get much enjoyment out of any of it, I'm afraid.

The dub has always been bad, even during the 4kids era.

Chase17

Gen V finally getting some love in Pokken. It will be interesting to see what they do with Chandelure. All I'll complain about now is wanting a bug type.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Gen V finally getting some love in Pokken. It will be interesting to see what they do with Chandelure. All I'll complain about now is wanting a bug type.

Yep I honestly thought that we wouldn't get any gen 5 or 6 Pokémon as playable fighters. Here's hoping that we get more Gen 2, Gen 5 and gen 6 fighters.

I also hope that we don't get any more Gen 1 Pokémon 7 is more than enough.

Boss Doggie

CHANDELURE HYYYYYYYYPE!

Yes, I did- it was admittedly a rather poor dub even by the franchise's standards, but I didn't get much enjoyment out of any of it, I'm afraid.

The dub sucks out the energy of the movie. They change the background music, the poor, life-less acting, etc.

Top Bottom