• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Mr-Joker

Banned
Wait, didn't he have a bunch of Oak warmers like Tauros, Muk and Kingler?

iirc his team that maxxed out first was Pikachu, 3 starters, Pidgeotto and Butterfree. Then he caught Krabby, Muk and Tauros later on after Butterfree left, with the Krabby catch being a plotpoint about being his 7th catch.

While Ash did catch Tauros, Muk and Krabby they never officially joined his team and instead were shipped off to Oak, they never join the team when Ash's 6th slot was free.

Plus Tauros and Muk were caught as a gag joke with Tauros popping up to ruining Ash catching a Safari Pokémon and Muk being so smelly that it could be smelt from the Pokéball.

They didn't officially became active member till much later, Muk being used in the Kanto league and Tauros during the Orange Island league because Ash couldn't wake Snorlax up and needed to swap him out.

And speaking of which, I realized what a terrible premise that episode started with. "Ash didn't catch a Pokemon on his own". WELL DUH, TRAINERS CATCH POKEMON WITH THEIR POKEMON. What the fuck.

The point they were trying to make was that Charmander, Bulbasuar and Squirtle joined Ash's team out of their own free will.

Though the point is moot since,

A. Ash caught Pidgeotto on his own. B he battled Bulbasuar first before he joined the team and C He caught Catapie on his own without any Pokémon.

Then again Misty was a jerk and this lead to Ash catching his one time deus ex machina Krabby.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
While Ash did catch Tauros, Muk and Krabby they never officially joined his team and instead were shipped off to Oak, they never join the team when Ash's 6th slot was free.

Plus Tauros and Muk were caught as a gag joke with Tauros popping up to ruining Ash catching a Safari Pokémon and Muk being so smelly that it could be smelt from the Pokéball.

They didn't officially became active member till much later, Muk being used in the Kanto league and Tauros during the Orange Island league because Ash couldn't wake Snorlax up and needed to swap him out.

The point they were trying to make was that Charmander, Bulbasuar and Squirtle joined Ash's team out of their own free will.

Though the point is moot since,

A. Ash caught Pidgeotto on his own. B he battled Bulbasuar first before he joined the team and C He caught Catapie on his own without any Pokémon.

Then again Misty was a jerk and this lead to Ash catching his one time deus ex machina Krabby.

Oh right, there was no auto-fill back then.

And the episode was poorly written anyway. It wasn't just the three starters, it was ALL of his Pokemon agreeing on Misty and Brock that Ash didn't catch "legitimately" a Pokemon, which was a stupid and downright lie.

kyo2004

Oh yeah, data broadcast time

13-14 we already know the eps (Ash vs Shota with a side of Alain, TR finding Blue Core who was being chased by Team Flare who then fights Alain)

Curious on the later eps though, especially the Sylveon one, since it seems Eevee will evolve earlier than episode 19.

Eevee will evolve in ep 12 in the Double Battle at the Dance Party (according to New Years Eve Special) so maybe that ep will be their first performance at Contest (or whatever they call in this season, I always forget how they call these events... XD)

Boss Doggie

Hmm I guess you're right. Next ep is followed by Delphox too so either Braixen is evolving or it's Elle's Pokemon.

Also I can't wait for the ep this week

QKQfvli.jpg

JoeM86

wow no save states, GF really like the idea of one save file

I think it's more to stop people cloning. Kind of ruins the concept of trades if people can just revert to a previous point and get that Pokémon back.

This also has nothing to do with having more than one save file. That's not what restore points are for.

I think it's more to stop people cloning. Kind of ruins the concept of trades if people can just revert to a previous point and get that Pokémon back.

This also has nothing to do with having more than one save file. That's not what restore points are for.

huh fair point

SeppOCE

K guys here's what's up this is happening within the next 3-5 years.

Pokemon's 20 this year. They're hyping up some nostalgia for the older fans. Red/Blue/Yellow/Green are all coming to VC soon, Gen1 themed DS's running wild next month and Pokemon Go is bringing Pokemon to the pockets of all the Pokemon fans too old to game. But that isn't enough.

Gamefreak gonna drop Pokemon Red/Blue 2 on us. The true sequel to Red and Blue. Kanto 20 years later changed even more than when we saw on G/S/C. I'm predicting the future here who's with me?

CassSept

There is so much merchandising already around Pokemon Z that it's gotten bizarre that it had not been announced yet. That's what's happening next.

CassSept

Next 3-5 years

Oh sorry, most of your post seemed to be about the nearer future. Pokemon Z this year, Gen VII for NX next year, Gen IV remakes around 2018-2019, that's the nearest future for sure unless they slip from their usual schedule with Gen VII.

Now, will there be a RBY sequel? That's... doubtful really. And would be kind of boring if we got that instead of a new game.

Now as some sort of bonus? We've seen Kanto in every Gen from I to IV and not one since, so it would make sense... however, things have changed and fitting Kanto in would require much more development time and resources than before, so it's getting more and more difficult every generation to waste it for a revisit of Kanto.

Chase17

I just noticed that Ken Sugimori was recently involved in an event for Final Fantasy Legends: Crystal of Space-Time (aka FF Dimensions 2). He drew a special Chocobo named Chocobo α. Pretty neat.
What will Chocobo's type be. Normal/Flying?

No save states are not a big deal. Unless you were planning on reloading every time you got crit or something.

Oh sorry, most of your post seemed to be about the nearer future. Pokemon Z this year, Gen VII for NX next year, Gen IV remakes around 2018-2019, that's the nearest future for sure unless they slip from their usual schedule with Gen VII.

Now, will there be a RBY sequel? That's... doubtful really. And would be kind of boring if we got that instead of a new game.

Now as some sort of bonus? We've seen Kanto in every Gen from I to IV and not one since, so it would make sense... however, things have changed and fitting Kanto in would require much more development time and resources than before, so it's getting more and more difficult every generation to waste it for a revisit of Kanto.

I just noticed that Ken Sugimori was recently involved in an event for Final Fantasy Legends: Crystal of Space-Time (aka FF Dimensions 2). He drew a special Chocobo named Chocobo α. Pretty neat.

Let's be crazy.

Pokémon x Final Fantasy Red Z and Blue Z

Mr-Joker

Banned
K guys here's what's up this is happening within the next 3-5 years.

Pokemon's 20 this year. They're hyping up some nostalgia for the older fans. Red/Blue/Yellow/Green are all coming to VC soon, Gen1 themed DS's running wild next month and Pokemon Go is bringing Pokemon to the pockets of all the Pokemon fans too old to game. But that isn't enough.

Gamefreak gonna drop Pokemon Red/Blue 2 on us. The true sequel to Red and Blue. Kanto 20 years later changed even more than when we saw on G/S/C. I'm predicting the future here who's with me?

I don't buy that a "Red and Green 2" will happen but if it means less gen 1 pandering in the gen 7 games then I am all for it.

Man Sugimori's art style so easy to recognise... and er *clears throat*

-"It looks a like a Digimon"
-"They are totally running out of ideas"
-"Man the Pokémon after original 151 sucks."
-It just looks like an animal"
-"I haven't play the games past gen 1 but this new Pokémon sucks be fuck you nostalgia ruuuuuuules"

;p

Chase17

Dedenne is the best pikaclone

CZEj7xyUkAAy0zu.jpg
Yep. Didn't think much of it until watching the XY anime but Dedenne/Bonnie are amazing. The episode where they and Pikachu dress up as ninjas solidified this.

Got a few episodes into the Korrina arc. Funny to see Pikachu get beat down in two straight battles for some reason. Korrina certainly has big presence already. Kind of interesting to see a negative effect of mega evolving too. Hopefully when she leaves the group Serena will start getting some things to do. Kind of thought she'd be on the fashion show path, or whatever it's called, by now.

Chase17

I haven't watched that episode but what was the negative effect of going mega?
Mega Lucario went out of control (they made Lucario's animation look creepy, would post but I'm on mobile). Wouldn't listen to Korrina. Went for the kill against Pikachu/Ash. I assume everything will work out fine in a couple episodes though. Still think it's kind of cool that there was some sort of consequence to the power boost, even if it's only in the short term and they just went with the standard can't control their own power thing.

The way they talked about it made it sound like a Lucario only problem. Something about aura focusing in on only attacking.

Boss Doggie

Yeah it's a Lucario-only problem, particularly her Lucario.

Final Pokemon XV

Follow Ash as he roadtrips through the country and fight trainers while trying to save his kingdom from Mewtwo.

That sounds like Kingdom hearts.

EDIT: that anime thread

Mr-Joker

Banned
Mega Lucario went out of control (they made Lucario's animation look creepy, would post but I'm on mobile). Wouldn't listen to Korrina. Went for the kill against Pikachu/Ash. I assume everything will work out fine in a couple episodes though. Still think it's kind of cool that there was some sort of consequence to the power boost, even if it's only in the short term and they just went with the standard can't control their own power thing.

The way they talked about it made it sound like a Lucario only problem. Something about aura focusing in on only attacking.

Huh that interesting, I wonder if her Lucario was reacting to the dead Pokémon's souls and his aura sensing ability just went into overdrive.

I'll never understand complaints about Ash still being ten.

Same, it's rarely a plot point or mentioned, plus they think about it logically that the reason Ash is ten is so Kids can relate to him.

After all no kid is going to relate to a 20 year old dude going on a Pokémon journey.

You'd think the country that consumes The Simpsons would realize that.

They don't care, they haven't watched the animé since the Kanto arc and since they won't dare complain about their nostalgia they just throw mud on the later seasons.

Nightbird

You'd think the country that consumes The Simpsons would realize that.

This was never a good comparison tbh.

While I agree that it's stupid to question Ashs aging (I mean do we really want to see an ash in his thirties in a kids show?), the comparison with the Simpsons is not that great because the sense of continuity there is not as present as in Pokémon.

Every episode of Pokemon is ash coming one step closer to his goal for the run of the Anime he currently is in. He even carries over experience and friends he made over in the next run (except in BW, but we don't talk about that).

Simpsons on the other hand is more "what will happen today in Springfield?" IT doesn't happen often that new things from an episode stay in the series. Most episodes end with everything being like in the beginning at the end of the episode. And when someone dies, he's back in the next episode like nothing happened.

That's why I think Simpsons is a bad comparison. :v

Grexeno

Usually, Fantina is a huge jerk in Platinum because of her Mismagius.

Until you trade over a Shadow Ball TM from HeartGold and give it to your newly evolved Roserade, that is.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Usually, Fantina is a huge jerk in Platinum because of her Mismagius.

Until you trade over a Shadow Ball TM from HeartGold and give it to your newly evolved Roserade, that is.

Ha ha I know that feeling, every game I trade in a Charmander Egg and he has Flamethrower and Dragon Pulse while not OP for early game but he isn't too weak.

Now normally when I first play a new generation game I use either the fire starter or a fire type Pokémon to act in Charmander place until I have the mean to trade his egg in, but in Pokémon Y I decided to use the Charmander Professor Sycamore, since why not and my god he didn't hold a candle to my Charmander.

He didn't have Dragon Pluse and couldn't learn it as it wasn't a TM and no move tutor and he wouldn't learn Flamethrower till level 47 so I was stuck with Ember till he learn Fire Fang which was rubbish on a modest Charizard.

So when I next replayed Y I made sure to trade in my Charmander egg and rejected Professor Sycamore's weak Charmander.

I also did the same with Froakie and traded in a Froakie with Protean...he was amazing.

Only example I have currently are the treehouse of horror episodes, but I'm pretty sure there have been smaller instances outside of that too.

The treehouse of horror are fun episode and aren't part of the continuity, yes Simpson actually has one, and any character dying in a regular episode have never come back to live.

So Maud Flanders is still dead and will remain so.

Boss Doggie

Simpsons on the other hand is more "what will happen today in Springfield?" IT doesn't happen often that new things from an episode stay in the series. Most episodes end with everything being like in the beginning at the end of the episode. And when someone dies, he's back in the next episode like nothing happened.

That's why I think Simpsons is a bad comparison. :v

Not really, despite the "status quo" Simpson likes to pull, they actually have a continuity. Like when people die in Simpsons, they stay dead. There have been people who received severe injuries but manage to get back fine (Dr. Nick), but otherwise a character pronounced dead remains dead.

They have long arching plots that wouldn't make sense if there was no passing of time as episodes aired with gaps between them. Homer's mom for instance had a huge year gap between their episodes. And there have been plot references that wouldn't make sense if the passing of time is not acknowledged.

JoeM86

Not really, despite the "status quo" Simpson likes to pull, they actually have a continuity. Like when people die in Simpsons, they stay dead. There have been people who received severe injuries but manage to get back fine (Dr. Nick), but otherwise a character pronounced dead remains dead.

They have long arching plots that wouldn't make sense if there was no passing of time as episodes aired with gaps between them. Homer's mom for instance had a huge year gap between their episodes. And there have been plot references that wouldn't make sense if the passing of time is not acknowledged.

Yep, there have even been numerous references to the Elon Musk episode which almost bankrupted Mr. Burns, and the repercussions of that. After the Futurama crossover, Bender is often spotted in the Simpsons basement. There's definite continuity, despite most episodes being standalone.

Boss Doggie

Ahahahaha

XY&Z12 summary from Adamant:
>Satoshi and his friends went to a dance party. There, four of the party attendants get selected to have a tag battle! And Satoshi and Serena get selected for this...!?

>Summary:
>Serena is practicing in order to get her third Princess Key. At that point, she receives an invitation to a dance party for Pokémon performers. The rule for the party is that performers and Pokémon both pair up one male and one female, so Serena participates together with Eievui, Citron and Horubee. But when they reunite with Millefeui in front of the party grounds, she suddenly asks Satoshi to pair up with and participate with her!?

>Voice Cast:
>Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
>Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
>Mayuki Makiguchi: Serena
>Yuki Kaji: Citron
>Mariya Ise: Eureka
>Megumi Sato: Dedenne
>Megumi Hayashibara: Musashi
>Shinichiro Miki: Kojiro
>Inuko Inuyama: Nyarth
>Yuji Ueda: Sonansu
>Rei Sakuma: Yashio
>Marina Inoue: Elle
>Kei Shindo: Millefeui
>Mika Kanai: Eievui
>Noriko Shitaya: Yancham
>Chinatsu Akasaki: Horubee
>Miyako Ito: Pumpjin
>Kenta Miyake: Maaiika
>Hitomi Nabatame: Peroream
>Yuka Terasaki: Mafoxy
>Unsho Ishizuka: Narration

Chase17

I didn't realize Millefeui was a reoccurring character, that's good. They definitely set her up as a rival for Serena but when I saw Shauna I thought she may replace her in that role.

Enjoyed the gym battle with Korrina. Glad the XY anime has kept Focus Blast true to the games so far. Misses when you need it most.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I didn't realize Millefeui was a reoccurring character, that's good. They definitely set her up as a rival for Serena but when I saw Shauna I thought she may replace her in that role.

Enjoyed the gym battle with Korrina. Glad the XY anime has kept Focus Blast true to the games so far. Misses when you need it most.

Unless you're the AI, they will always hit with an inaccurate attack, get 5 hits with a multi hit move and will never never never hit themselves in confusion.

Nightbird

The treehouse of horror are fun episode and aren't part of the continuity, yes Simpson actually has one, and any character dying in a regular episode have never come back to live.

So Maud Flanders is still dead and will remain so.

Oh all right, I stand correct then :x

Firestorm

Simpsons has continuity but doesn't sell it as one adventure the way Pokemon does (not sure if it still ends with "To Be Continued" or not like it used to). I think that's a lot of the problem people had with the franchise and why the majority of people drop off as they get older. There's no depth in the series. There's not enough development to really feel like they're moving to bigger things. There is little sense of progression. That's largely due to how they want to follow the games I think. It would be interesting if they did what Pokemon Special/Adventures does with each generation being somewhat self-contained with a new protagonist and having the older protagonists make guest appearances. Could do a more defined character arc that way.

It's also entirely targeted at children with little to appeal to adults but that's beside the point. There are lots of other shows that appeal to children and adults alike. Right now the one on my brain is One Piece as I've been going through it for a third time. Other stuff with less continuity like Gravity Falls comes to mind too.

JoeM86

Simpsons has continuity but doesn't sell it as one adventure the way Pokemon does (not sure if it still ends with "To Be Continued" or not like it used to). I think that's a lot of the problem people had with the franchise and why the majority of people drop off as they get older. There's no depth in the series. There's not enough development to really feel like they're moving to bigger things. There is little sense of progression. That's largely due to how they want to follow the games I think. It would be interesting if they did what Pokemon Special/Adventures does with each generation being somewhat self-contained with a new protagonist and having the older protagonists make guest appearances. Could do a more defined character arc that way.

It's also entirely targeted at children with little to appeal to adults but that's beside the point. There are lots of other shows that appeal to children and adults alike. Right now the one on my brain is One Piece as I've been going through it for a third time. Other stuff with less continuity like Gravity Falls comes to mind too.

Even though Ash continues, he has character arcs and the other main characters do, also

I'm currently playing Pokémon Platinum, and I'm really noticing how much the menus improved for HG/SS (HG was my last game). But I still think it's got a better use of the second screen than X/Y. Which actually, along with the camera, turned me off those games and made me play HG instead. Which I greatly enjoyed.

Does ORAS have the same minigame-bullshit on the second screen, or actually useful menus?
I'm not a fan of power training and tamagotchi stuff in my PKMN.

Chase17

I'm currently playing Pokémon Platinum, and I'm really noticing how much the menus improved for HG/SS (HG was my last game). But I still think it's got a better use of the second screen than X/Y. Which actually, along with the camera, turned me off those games and made me play HG instead. Which I greatly enjoyed.

Does ORAS have the same minigame-bullshit on the second screen, or actually useful menus?
I'm not a fan of power training and tamagotchi stuff in my PKMN.

ORAS has the minigme stuff but it also has Dexnav which is very useful if you are looking for a certain pokemon. And even if you aren't it shows outlines of pokemon you can see on the route which is cool (fills in sprite when you catch it). Dexnav is one of my favorite things to come out of ORAS.

Top Bottom