• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

you guys some times, while i still want those types i dont think they are the most needed things for this game, i'ld just find it nice to see all the typesa there

plus i'm not really that big of a fan of the fire type and it now having 4 pokemon, i dont like it

Chandelure is still cool though and i'm happy we got a big out of left field pick

Chase17

Fire Emblem type eh

also glad Japan back then loves Joltik
Was looking at the list you posted in the other thread. Interesting stuff. Seeing Zoroark outside of the top 15 surprises me even now. It got a Lucario like push, had good design (to me at least), and has a very fun and unique ability (/gimmick). Yet it didn't even come close to Lucario levels of popularity (maybe too similar?). Makes me wonder what most factors into a pokemon's widespread popularity.

Anyways, I wonder if lists like it have an impact on TPC decisions. Seeing Chandelure in Pokken suggests that they do matter at least a bit.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Official poster

izqToS3.jpg

Now I know Ash sucks at thrashing Pokemon but those were pre-XY Ash. XY Ash thrashed mons like Hawlucha, so maybe he can actually thrash Volcanion now.

Chase17

you guys some times, while i still want those types i dont think they are the most needed things for this game, i'ld just find it nice to see all the typesa there

plus i'm not really that big of a fan of the fire type and it now having 4 pokemon, i dont like it

Chandelure is still cool though and i'm happy we got a big out of left field pick
I was mostly serious with my reply. I could see them using Scizor as a bug rep and Tyranitar for rock. Both are pretty popular and having a mega form seems to help. Diggersby is more of a reach but I'd love to see it happen.

I really hope we do see full type representation though. Would help makes things feel more complete. If there are no bug types I'd be a little let down (one of my favorite types).

Dunsparce could be the perfect normal rep to fill the joke character slot.

I was mostly serious with my reply. I could see them using Scizor as a bug rep and Tyranitar for rock. Both are pretty popular and having a mega form seems to help. Diggersby is more of a reach but I'd love to see it happen.

I really hope we do see full type representation though. Would help makes things feel more complete. If there are no bug types I'd be a little let down (one of my favorite types).

Dunsparce could be the perfect normal rep to fill the joke character slot.

yeah i could see Scizor and Tyranitar getting in and for normal the main two i can think of is kangaskhan and lopunny but really i dont know

Fou-Lu

I feel like playing some Pokemon! The last time I played a game was Pokemon X and I completed a nuzlocke challenge and I greatly enjoyed it. I was wondering if there are any similarily enjoyable challenges out there to consider?

GoldStarz

While I would love a gen 6.5 as it would make up for the low Kalos Pokémon count and give us more cross gen evolution. it's unlikely to happen for "Pokémon Z" as the the "third" version marks an end of the generation basically acting as its' swan song.

Oh I don't think it's going to happen, I just think that if it did, it'd still be Gen 6.5 rather than Gen 7.

Boss Doggie

Way already better than anything TPCi could sing

Wonder what the setting may be this time around. The background looks fairly generic, but it could be a savanna considering Volcanion is supposed to be a kinda-sorta lion.

Summary says it's in a steampunk town

>The official Movie 19 Website has updated. Translations follow:

>Story

>A Pokémon came falling from the sky!

>As Satoshi continued his journey aiming to become a Pokémon Master, a lump covered in white smoke suddenly dropped out of the sky and landed in front of him and his friends.
>As white smoke spread around as far as the eye could see, a shape appeared from within it;
>The mythical Pokémon Volcanion.

>Ignoring the worried Satoshi and his friends, Volcanion, who hates humans, immediately tries to leave the place.
>However, the impact of the fall caused Satoshi and Volcanion to be linked together by a strange device, leaving them unable to separate...!

>Volcanion runs off and Satoshi gets dragged along by it, eventually reaching the Azot Kingdom, a city of super-machinery where gigantic cogwheels are all over the place and rotating.
Why did Volcanion fall from the sky?
>And why did it head to the Azot Kingdom!?
>With the mechanical kingdom of machinery as its setting, the hottest legend in Pokémon history begins!

>What is the power hidden in Volcanion's arms!?

>Volcanion violently expels boiling steam!
>Its arms can move freely and are split in two; the steam launched from them packs a punch! With this steam it is said to be able to blow away mountains and use the thick fog to hide itself. Because it possesses both the Fire and Water type, unlike other Pokémon before it, the water inlets of its arms can launch both Fire type moves and Water type moves. Also, the blue color of the windows on its arms seems to be related to the remaining water in its body.
>For Volcanion, who uses fire and water to create steam explosions within its body and launch moves, water seems to be the source of its energy.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So it's basically that one sitcom plot where two people are handcuffed together...

yzQHFvI.gif

Chase17

Finally got to the point in XY where the first mega evolution episode aired. Would it be better to watch it alongside the series or would I be ok to watch all four now?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I bought Alpha Sapphire used, off of a friend, for $20. He'd paid $35 at EB, plus tax.

Did I buy the right one?

It really hasn't mattered since gen 4, but if you want to ignore the ease of the internet I'd say that...OR has a slightly better selection. Regular Sapphire destroys Ruby so this is a reversal.

Sandfox

I might try to complete a living dex for 6th generation and completion for the older games. Let's see how far I get before I give up lol.

It really hasn't mattered since gen 4, but if you want to ignore the ease of the internet I'd say that...OR has a slightly better selection. Regular Sapphire destroys Ruby so this is a reversal.
I would say it matters for legendary Pokemon.

Regular Mewtwo having X as his Mega in Pokken is super disappointing, it feels pointless to have two Mewtwos in the game and have them have the same Mega...

Chase17

Regular Mewtwo having X as his Mega in Pokken is super disappointing, it feels pointless to have two Mewtwos in the game and have them have the same Mega...
Yeah it's weird. At least Mewtwo Y gets represented in Smash. Charizard Y gets nothing (but the cover of super mystery dungeon I guess).

I'm not going to play it to 100%, and just want to beat the main campaign. I'm not the type to grind, mate, etc. and beat the Elite 4 in the post credits stuff.

I'll likely beat the campaign then sell it.

But I was curious if it is better than OR. I like the Pokemon on the cover of OR better. I normally use a fire team, though, and if the baddies are a water team, that's out the window.

brinstar

I figured the deal was Y got Smash, so X gets Pokken, but yeah it is odd now that there's two Mewtwos in the game. Oh well...

Chase17

I'm not going to play it to 100%, and just want to beat the main campaign. I'm not the type to grind, mate, etc. and beat the Elite 4 in the post credits stuff.

I'll likely beat the campaign then sell it.

But I was curious if it is better than OR. I like the Pokemon on the cover of OR better. I normally use a fire team, though, and if the baddies are a water team, that's out the window.
I'd recommend that you do the delta episode in the post game before selling. It starts immediately after you beat the elite four and is only a couple hours long. It was one of my favorite parts of the remake, but part of that may be since it was new content.

Alongside is better :)
Ok thanks! Watched first episode and thought it was really good. Looking forward to watching the next parts of it, although that will be a while down the line.

Mr-Joker

Banned
What is the power hidden in Volcanion's arms!?

I misread arms as ass. >_<

But Y gets the lion share a lot.

Oh yeah they fixed it as Azoth Kingdom.

That's interesting as there was a book in Team Magma/Aqua base with talking about Primal Reversion and Megas and the letter A,Z,O,T,H was mentioned.

I wonder if this is a connection and what it will mean for "Pokémon Z"?

Watch Da Birdie

So I played Pokemon TCGO a bit today and, wow, there's really no way to come back when your opponent has a strong Pokemon out, huh? Was playing against this guy and I got Magcargo out on turn three and totally destroyed him as he was incapable of doing anything.

Also I forgot how many coin flips this game has. Geeze.

Firestorm

So I played Pokemon TCGO a bit today and, wow, there's really no way to come back when your opponent has a strong Pokemon out, huh? Was playing against this guy and I got Magcargo out on turn three and totally destroyed him as he was incapable of doing anything.

Also I forgot how many coin flips this game has. Geeze.
Magcargo doesn't look that strong? With stuff like N and whatnot you can come back decently well. The issue is if you have no Supporter in hand and don't draw one for a while. Pokemon is a very draw-heavy game.

I was only able to do one City Championship this season due to work and other commitments :( It's my favourite TCG tournament series as they're somewhat small but still competitive making for a fun but not mentally exhausting experience. I borrowed my friend's Xerneas + Ho-oh deck was was a lot of fun. Absolutely hilarious though I made some ridiculously stupid moves.

Firestorm needs his coffee in the morning :(

Boss Doggie

That's interesting as there was a book in Team Magma/Aqua base with talking about Primal Reversion and Megas and the letter A,Z,O,T,H was mentioned.

I wonder if this is a connection and what it will mean for "Pokémon Z"?

to be fair though "azoth" is an alchemy term

Grexeno

Running back and forth to make sure I have a Roselia before Lvl. 19 is PAINFUL. Fuck friendship evolutions + a line's best attack for awhile being exclusive to one evolution.

So I went away for a few days and managed to finish Red in the meantime (I consider finishing Red as everything up to catching Mewtwo).

Team:
Spr_1b_009.png
Spr_1b_034.png
Spr_1b_059.png
Spr_1b_106.png
Spr_1b_103.png
Spr_1b_145.png

Ditched:
Spr_1b_022.png
Spr_1b_026.png

Here are some of my thoughts.

- While not as bad as Diamond/Pearl Red is very slow. Having to go to the menu to use HM moves does not help much
- The Pokémon League is pathetically easy, especially Blue. I was around 12-18 levels below Blue when I beat him (highest member was Zapdos at 53)
- Some Pokémon are just not worth using if you don't give them certain TMs (Nidoking in general and he needs a lot of TMs, Arcanine needs Dig otherwise he's just a worse Charmander, Exeggutor needs Mega Drain/Psychic)
- Nostalgia trip is pleasant but I imagine a lot of people that buy these games on 3DS are going to realise how far behind Red & Blue really are

Mr-Joker

Banned
to be fair though "azoth" is an alchemy term

Oh I didn't know that.

Running back and forth to make sure I have a Roselia before Lvl. 19 is PAINFUL. Fuck friendship evolutions + a line's best attack for awhile being exclusive to one evolution.

Ah that brings back memories when I caught a Budew and was trying to get it to evolve before level 19.

In the end I said fuck it I am not hanging around trying to evolve Budew and hold the adventure back and if Roselia ends up sucking I will just dump it for somebody else.

The next battle it got to level 19, evolved into Roselia and gain Magical leaf, she ended up becoming my strongest member and really carried the team.

So I went away for a few days and managed to finish Red in the meantime (I consider finishing Red as everything up to catching Mewtwo).

Team:
Spr_1b_009.png
Spr_1b_034.png
Spr_1b_059.png
Spr_1b_106.png
Spr_1b_103.png
Spr_1b_145.png

Ditched:
Spr_1b_022.png
Spr_1b_026.png

Here are some of my thoughts.

- While not as bad as Diamond/Pearl Red is very slow. Having to go to the menu to use HM moves does not help much
- The Pokémon League is pathetically easy, especially Blue. I was around 12-18 levels below Blue when I beat him (highest member was Zapdos at 53)
- Some Pokémon are just not worth using if you don't give them certain TMs (Nidoking in general and he needs a lot of TMs, Arcanine needs Dig otherwise he's just a worse Charmander, Exeggutor needs Mega Drain/Psychic)
- Nostalgia trip is pleasant but I imagine a lot of people that buy these games on 3DS are going to realise how far behind Red & Blue really are

Agreed, Gen 1 has not aged well at all.

Watch Da Birdie

I was playing BW2 and trying to get Azurill to evolve before he lost out on all the attacks----pulled it off just right where he evolved, learned the powerful Aqua Tail, and then evolved the next level.

Boss Doggie

I just realized that in Ash's XY team, only Noibat hasn't had a chance to fight in a gym battle.

Would be neat to see him in Wulfric's fight.

Boss Doggie

I know in OS he got his 7th mon earlier since it was a plot point, and he kept rotating around his mons throughout OS.

I forgot how early he filled his team in BW.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Did Ash always took so long to catch his last Pokemon?

Kanto- He filled his team up early, but once Butterfree left he replace it with Primeape...who then left and it was left empty until he caught Snorlax in the Orange Island.

Johto- Again he filled it up quickly but that was due to the fact he took his Kanto team with him.

Hoenn- Didn't get his last Pokémon until before the last gym.

Sinnoh- Had his team filled up after he got his second gym badge.

Unova- had it filled after the first gym but he caught a lot more after and rotated his Pokémon around.

Kalos- Still waiting for his 6th member to pop up.

It took him awhile for Ash to fill his 6th slot in Hoenn.

I know in OS he got his 7th mon earlier since it was a plot point, and he kept rotating around his mons throughout OS.

He didn't exactly rotate his Pokémon in Kanto, once Butterfree left his 6th slot was empty and later fulfilled by Primeape. Which he then left it behind with a trainer to train for the P-1 and for the rest of the Kanto arc it was left empty and didn't get filled until he caught a Snorlax in the Orange Island.

CassSept

Ummm didn't he get Tauros before Orange Islands?

Off the top of my head, by Kanto League he had Pikachu, 3 starters, Krabby, Pidgeotto, Tauros (well, 30 but he only used one), that's 7 Pokemon.

Boss Doggie

He didn't exactly rotate his Pokémon in Kanto, once Butterfree left his 6th slot was empty and later fulfilled by Primeape. Which he then left it behind with a trainer to train for the P-1 and for the rest of the Kanto arc it was left empty and didn't get filled until he caught a Snorlax in the Orange Island.

Wait, didn't he have a bunch of Oak warmers like Tauros, Muk and Kingler?

iirc his team that maxxed out first was Pikachu, 3 starters, Pidgeotto and Butterfree. Then he caught Krabby, Muk and Tauros later on after Butterfree left, with the Krabby catch being a plotpoint about being his 7th catch.

And speaking of which, I realized what a terrible premise that episode started with. "Ash didn't catch a Pokemon on his own". WELL DUH, TRAINERS CATCH POKEMON WITH THEIR POKEMON. What the fuck.

Oh yeah, data broadcast time

>XY&Z13 - Sceptile
>XY&Z14 - 50% Zygarde
>XY&Z15 - Chesnaught
>XY&Z16 - Dragonair
>XY&Z17 - Zapdos
>XY&Z18 - Binacle
>XY&Z19 - Sylveon
>XY&Z20 - Delphox
>XY&Z21 - Buneary

13-14 we already know the eps (Ash vs Shota with a side of Alain, TR finding Blue Core who was being chased by Team Flare who then fights Alain)

Curious on the later eps though, especially the Sylveon one, since it seems Eevee will evolve earlier than episode 19.

Top Bottom