• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

ORAS has the minigme stuff but it also has Dexnav which is very useful if you are looking for a certain pokemon. And even if you aren't it shows outlines of pokemon you can see on the route which is cool (fills in sprite when you catch it). Dexnav is one of my favorite things to come out of ORAS.

Thanks, that actually sounds useful! I'm more likely to buy it now. After I finish Platinum, White and Y that is... :p

Not having owned a DS really gives me a lot to play through. It's nice knowing there's more to play after finishing a game, but it also means I don't spend as much time on post-game content.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
644.gif

ash_ag

A new Pokémon book based on the Kūsō Kugaku Dokuhon series has been announced. I hadn't heard about these books before, but apparently they analyse aspects of popular culture icons (there are editions for Godzilla, Ultraman, Shingeki no Kyojin, for example) through a combination of science and pseudo-science. I'm not sure I understand if the aim is lore analysis or a comedic / alternate-reality interpretation of it (or a combination of both), but apparently there's some educational aspect.

Is anyone familiar with the series? I don't imagine there's any chance we'll ever see an official (or even unofficial) translation considering it appears to be tailored for Japanese audiences, but I wonder if it'll contain anything interesting.

Theorymon

So I ended up catching an... interesting Zygarde. Brave with IVs of 31/31/31/21/31/1. I kept it in case Zygarde-Perfect ends up not gaining any speed, maybe I could use it under Trick Room lol... I also soft reseted a Brave Arceus with IVs of 31/31/31/0/31/0. Why am I getting all these Trick Room SRs while Cresselia continues to be a bastard about it ;_;

Anyways, because of that, I basically sucked Y dry of any legendaries, and have now erased the game so I can soft reset for a new Yveltal (probably either Adamant, or a better Hasty one than I have now).

To make things a bit less boring since I've gone through this game like 4 times now, this runthrough will only consist of perfect bred Pokemon I got in trades and never trained. This has made the team a bit... weird to say the least!

I currently have: Sheer Force Totodile / Braixen / Protean Shiny Frogaider / Shiny Seismic Toss Kangaskhan with its mega stone / Milotic / Roserade. So far, they're basically destroying the game, probably because of their perfect stats and the fact that I Super Trained them just so they could be EV trained without being high level lol.

Here's hoping I can blast through the game and not spend too much time soft reseting for Yveltal! Also, I nicknamed my character Softresetti with an angry face because I actually hate soft reseting...

Busaiku

So since every region will be playable on 3DS, who's interested in doing a full run?
Red/Blue/Yellow to Heart Gold/Soul Silver to Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum to Black/White to Black 2/White 2 to X/Y.

I'd consider Black 2/White 2 separate and Platinum not cause frozen Unova is very different.

Chase17

So since every region will be playable on 3DS, who's interested in doing a full run?
Red/Blue/Yellow to Heart Gold/Soul Silver to Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum to Black/White to Black 2/White 2 to X/Y.

I'd consider Black 2/White 2 separate and Platinum not cause frozen Unova is very different.
I'd be down to do this. Would be a good way to celebrate the 20th year.

Hopefully Z will be out by the time I get there.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Man Serena reminds of a girl that I once knew who had a crush on Ash.

I did my Red playthrough last year and I am currently doing Yellow, so far I just arrived at Cerulean City yesterday and my team are;

Pikachu/Pika
Nidoran female/Rina
Butterfree/Felix
Sandshrew/Sand
Bulbasaur/Saur

Will take on Misty later today and get Charmander.

My Pokémon game that I will be playing after Yellow;

-Soul Silver
-Crystal
-Ruby
-Fire Red
-Emerald
-Diamond
-Platinum
-Heart Gold
-White
-Black 2
-White 2
-Omega Ruby
-Alpha Sapphire
-Y

The reasoning behind the order is that's how they flow with my head story that I have running, with Soul Silver just acting as my original Silver version.

Nightbird

People seem to think the only reason to get a Super Bowl ad is to reveal a game and are perplexed that marketing is for a brand rather than a specific product.

To be honest, I also expected a new, more concrete date for Pokémon Go, but I am happy with that.

This is an ad they can use all year long, everywhere, even after Pokémon Go/Pokken/whatever got released.

I know the purpose of the ad but it feels pointless.

It literally just says "hey, we still exist!"

...And that's absolutely fine.

The Super Bowl audience is absolutely rammed with people who will remember Pokémon without having given it a second's thought for more than a decade. Targeting that audience with "Hey! Remember Pokémon? It's still a thing!" is the best use of that time- far better than revealing Z, or whatever the fuck.

JoeM86

...And that's absolutely fine.

The Super Bowl audience is absolutely rammed with people who will remember Pokémon without having given it a second's thought for more than a decade. Targeting that audience with "Hey! Remember Pokémon? It's still a thing!" is the best use of that time- far better than revealing Z, or whatever the fuck.

Revealing Z at the Super Bowl would result in millions of:
get

Chase17

Revealing Z at the Super Bowl would result in millions of:
get
Would be hilarious if they just flashed an image of Perfect Zygarde at the end. Everyone would be so confused.

Super bowl commercials are always over hyped so this is no surprise. This gets the job done.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh I'm not expecting it to be Z or anything, I know my expectations.

I was just hoping it was a bit more... Pokemon-centric.

You know that ORAS commercial? That one was good.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I know the purpose of the ad but it feels pointless.

It literally just says "hey, we still exist!"

It was more like "Hey genwunner remember gen 1? Well it's our 20th anniversary so come and play some more gen 1 greatness"*

*Oh we have new Pokémon after the original 151 but pffft who cares gen 1 is where it's at.

Honestly it's just frustrating and it just feels that they are going after people who played the original gen 1 rather than rewarding players who stuck with them for 20 years and I just want to celebrate 20 years of the Pokémon series as a whole but they seem to be more interested in just celebrating gen 1 and only gen 1, which just makes me feel left out.

Hopefully they have more celebration that isn't just gen 1 pandering.

Nightbird

Honestly it's just frustrating and it just feels that they are going after people who played the original gen 1 rather than rewarding players who stuck with them for 20 years and I just want to celebrate 20 years of the Pokémon series as a whole but they seem to be more interested in just celebrating gen 1 and only gen 1, which just makes me feel left out.

It makes me sad that I have to disagree on this part my Friend.

I think it's good to try to get back the people who jumped off after Gen 1. This was when Pokémon was at its peak in terms of popularity, so even just gaining back a fraction of those people back would do wonders.

I do agree that they need to show off that there are a few more than just the original 151 though.

I can also see where you are coming from, since the Gen 1 pandering didn't start here. However, I think that in this situation it's rather justified to have a lot of Gen 1 pandering. Let's just hope that this year's Pokémon game won't follow the pandering, or even worse, double down on it.

Hopefully they have more celebration that isn't just gen 1 pandering.
I generally am sympathetic with people who get annoyed at the lionisation of Gen I over everything else, but I've got to think it's kind of justified in this case. This is a trailer with a very specific target audience, and that audience is overwhelmingly unlikely to have any affinity or interest in what came after I. Also, the whole point of an anniversary is to reflect where a series comes from, and the fact that Pokémon's early days are far and away its most popular ones mean that it's absolutely natural that that's where the focus is.

It's not like the anniversary is excluding the rest of the series, what with all of the Mythicals being distributed and all, but Gen I is, and should be, the focus.

Chase17

This is all of the original characters right? Oh and Blaziken.

There is still at least one character to be revealed though. They probably would had said if Chandelure was the final one.

Firestorm

Super Bowl commercial tries to evoke similar feels as a Coca Cola commercial but fails unfortunately. The kids should have been speaking their native languages. The CG should have been better than what they showed. It just seemed... sloppy?

Busaiku

Even in Coca Cola ads, they at least have Coca Cola bottles or something.
Despite Coca Cola being widely recognized for being a drink, they include that imagery.

This ad lets people Pokémon exists, but there is nothing to incite further action.
I mean, they didn't even have to show Pokémon Go logos or anything, but they could've included people with their phones or something.

So you can do that, but we don't know what that is.

Chase17

I'm a bit after where Goomy was caught. A Pokémon that has PTSD is certainly one way to go (at least thats how I've interpreted the flashbacks. It may just be a "too weak" thing). Interested to see if they show what happened in the flashbacks (I would guess they do).

Goomy being scared of Dedenne is pretty great.

Busaiku

Ash beats Trick Room by increasing Hawlucha's Speed and using X-Scissor on it.
The show is back to aiming for the horn levels of ignoring mechanics.

Top Bottom