• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Roto13

It's simpler than what I was going to go with: "Meow Is The Winter Of Our Discontent Made Glorious Summer By This Sun Of York And All The Clouds That Loured Upon Our House In The Deep Bossom Of The Ocean Buried" and "Meow I Would Give A Thousand Furlongs Of Sea For An Acre Of Barren Ground" because they both really love Shakespeare and puns.

Keep it simple and efficient, Roto. Don't you dare take the Devil's advice!

1920x1080109sq2.jpg

Firestorm

Speaking of FEAR, I ran up against a LV1 Aron during the International Challenge. Goddamn piece of SHIT. Did not realize it got Sturdy so I attacked like it was any random FEAR 'mon. But nope. Sturdy + Berry Juice meant you had to hit it three times x.x Apparently we even have an analysis up for it on Smogon.

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/aron/vgc2012

Also, now that it's over, my final stats:
Did much better than last time, but because almost all my losses were in the latter half of my plays, my rating is only 2 more than Autumn I think!

Final Rating: 1753
Peak rating: 1848
Games Completed: 100 (82-18-9)
Longest Streak: 43

I got a lot of good practice out of this and know of a few team change-ups I'd like to do though. Way better than PO for figuring out a regional team. I hope they do more of these!

I'll probably post something on my team and all that after April 15th.

It's simpler than what I was going to go with: "Meow Is The Winter Of Our Discontent Made Glorious Summer By This Sun Of York And All The Clouds That Loured Upon Our House In The Deep Bossom Of The Ocean Buried" and "Meow I Would Give A Thousand Furlongs Of Sea For An Acre Of Barren Ground" because they both really love Shakespeare and puns.

Your cats like Shakespeare?

I guess you could say they're

1139482_o.gif

Star purrformers.

tumblr_m10gr3dAUM1qe5tqi.jpg

Slermy

Speaking of FEAR, I ran up against a LV1 Aron during the International Challenge. Goddamn piece of SHIT. Did not realize it got Sturdy so I attacked like it was any random FEAR 'mon. But nope. Sturdy + Berry Juice meant you had to hit it three times x.x Apparently we even have an analysis up for it on Smogon.

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/aron/vgc2012

I had always wondered about a strategy like that. I didn't know about Berry Juice, so I didn't realize it could actually work. Glad to see unevolved pokémon being viable!

I got bored and decided it was "P" Day today, so I'm playing Pokémon while listening to Pendulum and watching Parks and Recreation on my laptop. Hurray for random theme days!

Jeez, I remember listening to 99 Red Balloons with my parents as a kid, and I used to think it was a cheery song about balloons. Looking back, it has got to be one of the darkest songs I've ever heard 0.o

Firestorm

I had always wondered about a strategy like that. I didn't know about Berry Juice, so I didn't realize it could actually work. Glad to see unevolved pokémon being viable!

With Eviloite there are actually a number of viable unevolved Pokemon (generally ones that used to have no evolution) like Chansey, Dusknoir, and Porygon2.

MikeMyers

So I'm planning an in-game team for Soul Silver, and need a 6th recommendation.

Meganium (I swear Gamefreak hates Chikorita, almost ever gym resists her)
Red Gyarados
Ampharos
Quagsire
Espeon

I'm trying to keep my team Gen 2 themed, Gyarados is on there because the Shinyness represents something Gen 2 introduced.

So I'm planning an in-game team for Soul Silver, and need a 6th recommendation.

Meganium (I swear Gamefreak hates Chikorita, almost ever gym resists her)
Red Gyarados
Ampharos
Quagsire
Espeon
Rhy-
I'm trying to keep my team Gen 2 themed, Gyarados is on there because the Shinyness represents something Gen 2 introduced.
Oh. Um...I dunno. Gen 2 is shit, so i think you've got everything worth getting before you're able to get Kingdra and Tyranitar.

EDIT: Nearly forgot about Crobat, can't believe myself. Go with Crobat.

MikeMyers

Rhy-

Oh. Um...I dunno. Gen 2 is shit, so i think you've got everything worth getting before you're able to get Kingdra and Tyranitar.

I actually agree with Gen 2 being shit. Whenever I play I ALWAYS use Kanto Pokemon, so this time I'm trying as hard as possible to actually do a Gen 2 theme. I'm already cheating with that Gyarados lol.

Where would I get Rhydon anyway?

Edit: Even the Johto Gym Leaders mostly use Kanto Pokemon, lmao.

MikeMyers

The Johto Gym Leaders use more Kanto Pokemon than Johto Pokemon.

Kanto Pokemon Used:
01. Pidgey
02. Pideyotto
03. Kakuna
04. Metapod
05. Scyther
06. Clefary
07. Magnemite
08. Primeape
09. Poliwrath
10. Seel
11. Dewgong
12. Gyarados
13. Dragonair

Johto Pokemon Used:
01. Miltank
02. Steelix
03. Piloswine
04. Kingdra

MikeMyers

Eh, I didn't like it. It was too complicated for it's own good.

Hmm, how would you rank the remake compared to the original? I havent played much of Soul Silver.

I liked GSC but the Kanto Portion was lacking. Also, I didn't really care for much Gen 2 Pokemon, most of my GSC teams feature Kanto Pokemon

Hmm, how would you rank the remake compared to the original? I havent played much of Soul Silver.

If you're talking about the remake of SoulSilver compared to GSC, then SoulSilver beats it in every conceivable way. If you're talking about the Safari Zone, then I much prefer the original.

It's been so long since I've touched my copy of SS, I don't even know how to explain the new Safari Zone. All I know is that it's needlessly more complicated then "go to this area and catch stuff." It involves putting items in areas, then waiting 24 hours before you have a slight chance of seeing a new Pokemon in that area, and if you didn't put the right items or enough of those items in, then you had to do it again and wait another 24 hours.

MikeMyers

If you're talking about the remake of SoulSilver compared to GSC, then SoulSilver beats it in every conceivable way. If you're talking about the Safari Zone, then I much prefer the original.

It's been so long since I've touched my copy of SS, I don't even know how to explain the new Safari Zone. All I know is that it's needlessly more complicated then "go to this area and catch stuff." It involves putting items in areas, then waiting 24 hours before you have a slight chance of seeing a new Pokemon in that area, and if you didn't put the right items or enough of those items in, then you had to do it again and wait another 24 hours.

I mean comparing the games in general. GSC doesn't even have a Safari Zone

With Eviloite there are actually a number of viable unevolved Pokemon (generally ones that used to have no evolution) like Chansey, Dusknoir, and Porygon2.
It justifies my preference of Dragonair over Dragonite, if nothing else.

Dragonair should have been final form, Dragonite a legendary in his own right. The anime totally hyped him up as one earlier on, anyway.

Wiseblade

I mean comparing the games in general. GSC doesn't even have a Safari Zone

Then yeah, HGSS goes a long way towards fixing the empty shell that is GSC Kanto. Johto get fleshed out a bit too, but it's still the smallest region by a good margin. I really wish HGSS changed it so Cinnibar Island never erupted and The Pokémon Mansion/Seafoam Islands still existed, even if that would change things significantly from the originals.

MikeMyers

It justifies my preference of Dragonair over Dragonite, if nothing else.

Dragonair should have been final form, Dragonite a legendary in his own right. The anime totally hyped him up as one earlier on, anyway.

Well he was pretty much the "big bad" of Season 2/Orange Islands.

The Gen 2 roster is 90% shit.

Or are you actually bold enough to challenge this fact? Bear in mind that the only Pokemon worth mentioning in Gen 2 have already been mentioned, so those are excluded.

You forgot Octillery, Feraligatr and Scizor
and Dunsparce.

That's about it, though. Gen II had an amazing world, but some weak Pokémon.

It ain't Gen III, though!

Hoenn was an amazing region. Haven't any of you gentlemen considered how deviously clever the very concept of Fallarbor Town is? It feels like a wintry setllement, yet it's snowing ashes and leaves are falling! The music just seals the deal, really, and what we all got was this crazy-cool combination of two seasons, autumn and winter, perfectly complementing each other. There's been little like that since, except Snowpoint for obvious reasons.

Gen II is rather gimped, suffice to say. Both because of limited memory storage on the cartridge and because of a lack of both resources and man-power. Remember that Game Freak was also making two other big games + new versions of the original Pokemon games, all within 3-4 years.

Firemind

Playing through Blue right now, and dang, Starmie is streamrolling everything with Surf/Psychic/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt. Poor Pinsir. Doesn't even learn a bug move.

Also, I have no idea how resists work in this game anymore. Sometimes it's neutral, sometimes it's not very effective. Poison is super effective against bugs and not very effective against grass/poison. wut

It ain't Gen III, though!

Hoenn was an amazing region. Haven't any of you gentlemen considered how deviously clever the very concept of Fallarbor Town is? It feels like a wintry setllement, yet it's snowing ashes and leaves are falling! The music just seals the deal, really, and what we all got was this crazy-cool combination of two seasons, autumn and winter, perfectly complementing each other. There's been little like that since, except Snowpoint for obvious reasons.

Gen II is rather gimped, suffice to say. Both because of limited memory storage on the cartridge and because of a lack of both resources and man-power. Remember that Game Freak was also making two other big games + new versions of the original Pokemon games, all within 3-4 years.

I'm not denying that Hoenn was fantastic, because it was. As you may or may not know, my opinions on Johto (and G/S as a whole) are very biased, due to it being the first region that I was truly able to experience. It's kind of like when you go back to an amusement park that you loved as a kid, and even though it's kind of crappy and outdated, it's still magical in your mind.

That being said, Hoenn is definately my favourite region. Even today, I can still remember the joy I felt when I ran down Route 101 for the first time, the awe of exploring the Sunked Ship, and the frustration of trying to find the Regis. Yes, Hoenn was a region that was jam-packed with memorable areas, secrets, and creativity. It is, and hopefully always will be, the best.

Frost_Ace

I'm not denying that Hoenn was fantastic, because it was. As you may or may not know, my opinions on Johto (and G/S as a whole) are very biased, due to it being the first region that I was truly able to experience. It's kind of like when you go back to an amusement park that you loved as a kid, and even though it's kind of crappy and outdated, it's still magical in your mind.

That being said, Hoenn is definately my favourite region. Even today, I can still remember the joy I felt when I ran down Route 101 for the first time, the awe of exploring the Sunked Ship, and the frustration of trying to find the Regis. Yes, Hoenn was a region that was jam-packed with memorable areas, secrets, and creativity. It is, and hopefully always will be, the best.
So you want the next games to suck? :p

Coversely, I'm not bad-mouthing Johto for its in-game mythos and setting. But I do think Hoenn was a more worthy successor to Kanto, nonetheless. I'm a sucker for exotics.

SD's most likely referring to the inevitable Hoenn remakes when he says he wants it to remain the best, not necessarily keeping any newer regions down in the process.

Top Bottom