• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Boken

Banned
Wiseblade said:
Really? The split was a real "about time!" moment for me. The Elemental Punches doing special damage always rubbed me the wrong way.
It made it harder to form defensive/stall based teams because the split nerfed most of the defensive walls. E.g. Physical fire vs skarmory.

It increased the aggressiveness of the metagame so much and added a lot more to memorise D:

Izayoi said:
Now we just need to remove them from the game entirely and replace them with key items!
Cut=Shears
Flash=Torch
Strength=.....Golden Gauntlets? Power Glove?
Surf=Raft
Fly= Hot...air...balloon?
Defog= Why did this even exist?

Wiseblade

Boken said:
It made it harder to form defensive/stall based teams because the split nerfed most of the defensive walls. E.g. Physical fire vs skarmory.

It increased the aggressiveness of the metagame so much and added a lot more to memorise D:
Which was much needed. Gens II/III suffered competitively from having stall teams be too powerful.

It's not like stall died out completely, it just became more dynamic and stopped Blissey from trolling half the meta.

Ezalc

Chet Rippo said:
Wprt8.png

Thank you kind sir.

OMG Aero

Nocturnowl said:
Cut=Shears
Flash=Torch
Strength=.....Golden Gauntlets? Power Glove?
Surf=Raft
Fly= Hot...air...balloon?
Defog= Why did this even exist?
I really wouldn't mind Defog if they at least made it a good move in battle. As it is, it lowers evasion by 1 and gets rid of things like Light Screen and Reflect which I guess is kinda okay but it also gets rid of Stealth Rock, Spikes and Toxic Spikes on the opponent's side of the field which makes no sense at all.

Hell, they should just make Defog get rid of weather so there's finally a counter to Drizzle/Sand Stream teams that doesn't involve you having your own weather team.

Roto13

Dice said:
I watched a bunch of videos and I don't like the aesthetic of White. I also think triple battles might be a bit too much for me.
The triple battles are awesome but there's only like four of them in the whole game. >_>
Winnie the Pimp said:
never played either of these so which one should i go with purely for the story/experience?

HeartGold or Diamond?
Never play Diamond. It sucks. Play Platinum if you want to play one of those games.

Winnie the Pimp said:
no the only Pokemon game i played so far is Black, so i'm wondering at this point which is the best one to go back to?
Diamond and Pearl are absolutely insufferable after playing Black and White. They're so slow it's almost like it's being intentionally frustrating. I mean, look at this shit. Notice how they do one move each and then the video just skips the rest of the battle because it's against a level 5 Starly and it's still too long to actually show.

OMG Aero said:
I really wouldn't mind Defog if they at least made it a good move in battle. As it is, it lowers evasion by 1 and gets rid of things like Light Screen and Reflect which I guess is kinda okay but it also gets rid of Stealth Rock, Spikes and Toxic Spikes on the opponent's side of the field which makes no sense at all.

Hell, they should just make Defog get rid of weather so there's finally a counter to Drizzle/Sand Stream teams that doesn't involve you having your own weather team.
Those are some good ideas, I actually had no idea that it removed Light screen and reflect either.

People mentioning triple battles have saddened me, I wanted more of them but all I got was like 2 since I have Black version which throws the inferior switch battles at you instead.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
omg I just realized they have full seasons on dvd now

best cartoon evarrrrr

Anth0ny

Dice said:
omg I just realized they have full seasons on dvd now

best cartoon evarrrrr

Yeah I love my DVD

170px-Pokemonseason1DVDBoxSet.jpg

Horrible packaging, pulled episodes are nowhere to be found, and the original Japanese audio would have been nice... but on the whole still a great release. The dub of Pokemon was really good.

Wiseblade

Anth0ny said:
Yeah I love my DVD

Horrible packaging, pulled episodes are nowhere to be found, and the original Japanese audio would have been nice... but on the whole still a great release. The dub of Pokemon was really good.
The 4Kids dub was good at least. tPC's VA replacements are almost universally inferior and somehow manages to use even less of the original soundtrack.

Anth0ny

Wiseblade said:
The 4Kids dub was good at least. tPC's VA replacements are almost universally inferior and somehow manages to use even less of the original soundtrack.

Yeah. I stopped watching sometime in the Johto arc. I was flabbergasted at the new voices when I first heard them years later. So bad.

Wiseblade

Anth0ny said:
Yeah. I stopped watching sometime in the Johto arc. I was flabbergasted at the new voices when I first heard them years later. So bad.
You have no idea how rough it was at the beginning. Battle Frontier was almost unwatchable. Ash got a little better of the course of DP, but Brock never improved.

MarkusRJR

With all this talk about the anime I'm going to start watching Pokemon Best Wishes, but I can't decide if I should watch the Sub or the Dub? Hmmm.....

Wiseblade said:
You have no idea how rough it was at the beginning. Battle Frontier was almost unwatchable. Ash got a little better of the course of DP, but Brock never improved.
I remember the first movie they showed on Kids WB with the new voices (I think it had something to do with Mew/Mewtwo and holograms, it was just bad all around). I thought I was freaking out.

Wiseblade

Yaceka said:
With all this talk about the anime I'm going to start watching Pokemon Best Wishes, but I can't decide if I should watch the Sub or the Dub? Hmmm.....
The group subbing Best Wishes irritate me. They translate attacks properly, but refuse to translate Pokémon or character names. "Professor Ookido" NO. it's Oak. Makes me cringe every time.

The dub's got it's own issues. The recurring characters still don't sound right, but at least it seems like they're using more of the OST. The intro SUCKS, however. It's probably the better way to watch the series, especially if you can't remember how everyone used to sound.

EDIT: The mark of DEATH is upon us...

joelseph

Is it okay to ask for links to manga translations and sub/dub groups? I have not done this in ages but I have a strong urge to view this pokemon shit!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Delio said:
Surf better be turned into a TM then.

And Waterfall, probably the only worthwhile Physical water move.

Wiseblade said:

The TPC dub is a bit more faithful to the original in a couple places, and the voices have gotten better and grown on me. Whenever I think of Ash now, it's the new voice. By the time BW finishes up he'll have completely grown on me. The TPC-only characters like Dawn, Cilan and Iris are done very well I think.

Wiseblade said:

I thought Meowth and maybe James were the only ones that were trying (and failing) too hard to emulate the old voices. Brock never bothered me, but he's not in the show anymore so he shouldn't bother you anymore either. :p

MarkusRJR

Wiseblade said:
The group subbing Best Wishes irritate me. They translate attacks properly, but refuse to translate Pokémon or character names. "Professor Ookido" NO. it's Oak. Makes me cringe every time.

The dub's got it's own issues. The recurring characters still don't sound right, but at least it seems like they're using more of the OST. The intro SUCKS, however. It's probably the better way to watch the series, especially if you can't remember how everyone used to sound.

I'm trying to know the names of all the new Pokemon, so I guess maybe the dub would be best? Is there any subbing groups that use the english Pokemon names or no?

Gravijah

Wiseblade said:

i hate subbers/translation groups that refuse to localize shit. there are multiple versions of pokemon special that are like that.

Wichu

Yaceka said:
I'm trying to know the names of all the new Pokemon, so I guess maybe the dub would be best? Is there any subbing groups that use the english Pokemon names or no?
I found that I could remember almost all the names after beating White... Maybe I just have a good memory for that sort of thing?

Wiseblade

joelseph said:
Is it okay to ask for links to manga translations and sub/dub groups? I have not done this in ages but I have a strong urge to view this pokemon shit!
It is forbidden. You'll just have to use google to find out what station in you area is broadcasting Pokémon Black/White and tune in every week.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
Brock never bothered me, but he's not in the show anymore so he shouldn't bother you anymore either. :p
You have no idea how glad I am that he's gone. Now they just need to put Oak on a bus and the dub will finally reach "good enough" levels.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wiseblade said:
It is forbidden. You'll just have to use google to find out what station in you area is broadcasting Pokémon Black/White and tune in every week.
I believe the offical ruling is you can name any fandubing/scanlator group. I should read Pokemon after I am finished with Yugioh (Which may be soon if GX isn't any good, Yugioh R is the worst thing ever)

So, any of you have some preferred albums to the game soundtracks? Love the 1998 soundtrack "Can you play Pokemon?"
http://vgmdb.net/album/14883

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:
You have no idea how glad I am that he's gone. Now they just need to put Oak on a bus and the dub will finally reach "good enough" levels.

Oak is slightly annoying but I find him humorous after I learned that he's being done by the original (and current) voice of Gary. I just chalk it up to, they're family, they sound similar. :p

Doesn't sound like the old Oak is doing much anymore though, TPC should really try and rehire him.

Well in any case Oak is barely apart of the anime anyways.

Nocturnowl said:
I have a soft spot for the 4kids villain voices, I blame One Piece Grand Battle for that
Oh. That reminds me, they didn't do a good Nico Robin voice either. I bet if they didn't give her that ridiculous southern accent it would have been great.

otakuderek

I just finished watching the first season again. I remember most of that whole season! Never saw any of the other seasons though for some reason. Is it worth it to go through all the others to the current or should I just skip some?

Wiseblade

spindashing said:
4Kids did One Piece voices decent honestly.

Well, minus Sanji.
The only good voice in the 4Kids One Piece dub was Zoro. Luffy and Usopp were "appropriate", but took things a step too far and landed firmly in "ear-bleedingly awful" territory. The atrocious script didn't help either.

I can't stand to watch the first couple of seasons. Awful battles, blatant rule-ignoring (at least Hoenn-onwards TRY to stay reasonably consistent), terrible art, "gym battles" that barely pass for such, etc.

Eh.

spindashing said:
Oh. That reminds me, they didn't do a good Nico Robin voice either. I bet if they didn't give her that ridiculous southern accent it would have been great.
I blame her hat, with 4kids at the helm it was destined to happen.

Now since we're talking dub voices and this is the pokemon thread, that ginger guy in one of the big tournaments (I think it was the series based around the 3rd gen) had quite possibly the most annoying voice in pokemon anime history. I think he was Ash's friendly rival as well for that matter.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
not too bad. i still think dawn has the best of the english voices.

Cilan has been pretty good. Maybe not Miyano level, but still good. Iris ranges from great to OK, but that's dependent on the script.

otakuderek

Electivirus said:
I can't stand to watch the first couple of seasons. Awful battles, blatant rule-ignoring (at least Hoenn-onwards TRY to stay reasonably consistent), terrible art, "gym battles" that barely pass for such, etc.

Eh.

I watched the first episode from the most recent season and I was shocked about the voice changes. I caught up on that at Bulbapedia.

Wiseblade

Izayoi said:
I seriously hope you guys don't actually watch dubs outside of maybe checking them out to mock them.
I hold firm in my defense of the 4Kids dub. Outside of assuming kids were too dumb to know what a rice ball is, there's nothing really wrong with it. It's only when tPC took over that things went really downhill. And it looks like BW is a (small) step up from the dark days of Battle Frontier/DP.

Top Bottom