• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Wiseblade said:
I hold firm in my defense of the 4Kids dub. Outside of assuming kids were too dumb to know what a rice ball is, there's nothing really wrong with it. It's only when tPC took over that things went really downhill. And it looks like BW is a (small) step up from the dark days of Battle Frontier/DP.
Admittedly, I was curious as to why Brock was holding what was clearly NOT a donut, but I figured it was some sort of wacky Pokemon World donut.

Izayoi said:
I seriously hope you guys don't actually watch dubs outside of maybe checking them out to mock them.
?

Without dubs, I would have never really entered the world of anime. I loved the Pokemon dub ... up until the voices got changed.

Edit: Oh, I didn't read your statement properly. =( Nevermind.

Professor Beef said:
Admittedly, I was curious as to why Brock was holding what was clearly NOT a donut, but I figured it was some sort of wacky Pokemon World donut.
I figured it was a Japanese style donut back in the day, yep.
And that episode of pokemon is one of the very best episodes for reasons so obvious that I need not explain them.

Wiseblade

I was actually referring to Ruby/Sapphire episodes where 4Kids replaced the rice balls with sandwiches, but that episode was probably a little more patronising.

Nocturnowl said:
I figured it was a Japanese style donut back in the day, yep.
And that episode of pokemon is one of the very best episodes for reasons so obvious that I need not explain them.
That episode had everything: donuts, rice balls, the origins of Ash's hat, monkeys going berserk, Brock getting sent flying, Charmander being a badass...

Easily in my top 3, if not my #1.

Professor Beef said:
That episode had everything: donuts, rice balls, the origins of Ash's hat, monkeys going berserk, Brock getting sent flying, Charmander being a badass...

Easily in my top 3, if not my #1.
Just one more thing to add, Professor Oak reciting his poem with Krabby. Truly a great episode.

Primeape is so boss he goes on to win a fighting tournament against the odds of outside interference, with no training (just his wild instincts because Ash wasn't man enough to withstand the beast) and then it abandons Ash for greater heights. Meanwhile Brock enters the same fighting pokemon tournament with his geodude which I find hilarious.

Charizard and Magmar doing battle over a volcano is the next best thing for me, that seismic toss is too awesome. I love how Blaine just kind of scoffs at the notion that his Magmar may have just murdered Ash's Charizard, apparently it's okay because the rules say you can fight in the lava, good thing Ash didn't use pikachu for that one...

Wiseblade

Highlights
  • Krabby's Pokémon League debut
  • All of episode 9
  • Charizard vs Magmar
  • Ash vs Tyson
  • Ash vs Paul, Pokémon League (JP dub only)
  • Charizard vs Articuno

Lowlights
  • Every time Swift misses
  • "Finish him off with False Swipe!"
  • "Pikachu! The Horn!"
  • THUNDER ARMOUR

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Izayoi said:
I seriously hope you guys don't actually watch dubs outside of maybe checking them out to mock them.

Why? Nothing wrong with it (outside the fact that it's a giant bland advertisement for the games, which also affects the original version.)

Not like watching subs makes you a more intellectual person or anything, sheesh.

Wiseblade said:
I hold firm in my defense of the 4Kids dub. Outside of assuming kids were too dumb to know what a rice ball is, there's nothing really wrong with it. It's only when tPC took over that things went really downhill. And it looks like BW is a (small) step up from the dark days of Battle Frontier/DP.

I didn't think any of the voices in D/P were bad. Ash was rough at the beginning but got better. And I will be more thankful for TPC for giving the Rocket motto a pretty accurate 1:1 translation.

However the biggest problem I have with TPC's dub is the opening songs. They're half as long and barely 10% as good as the Japanese ones are. They either need to dub the Japanese songs, or get David Rolfe back to make some rocking new themes. And stop cutting them in half.

Honestly, probably 75% of the reason I watched Pokemon as a kid was the rocking openings. No lie. The series needs to get that back.

Lunchbox said:
uberchu killed a rhydon in that episode, no balance
I almost forgot, that would explain Blaine's murderous commands in the second battle. Imagine my disappointment in the 3rd gen games when Rhydon's lightning rod ability didn't cause the git to topple over instantly from electric attacks.
Though Ash finding ways to cheese battles is like a joy in itself.

Edit: did someone say pony?
077Ponyta.png

Since where talking about the anime, found this on serebii:

Out of all characters in the show , Kasumi's(Misty) existence was the least justified. She was there to draw attention of girls, because anime with boys only would be "tasteless" for them.

And why she left the show. After the show got longer, there was a decline in ratings so they thought of changing something about the main characters and the villains.

Because justification of Kasumi's existence was the weakest, she was the most endangered to leave. He says that it wasn't like he wanted to substitute her, but they needed someone with fascinating personality, whose existence was neccessary. Also stated that Kasumi didn't have a good role as a female protagonist.

Link

Takeshi Shudo, writer for the Pokemon anime series talks about Misty and "behind the scenes" stuff.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
openings/endings are short because of american tv, no? they have to cut something to fit it all in.

I'm sure that's the reason, but I can still complain about it.

They ruined FMA B's openings and they're ruining DRR's openings, while Bleach still gets 1:30 to itself! Admittedly, Bleach has pretty great openings (only good thing about the show), but still.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:

Eh it was pretty good, my favorite flips back and forth between Johto Champions and Master Quest.

I do like the one Green Scar posted though. Best of the Sinnoh bunch. Advanced Challenge was the best of the Hoenn bunch.

Wiseblade said:

Eww, why the band version?

My first pick is the original version, my second is OP9/Battle Frontier.

Best Wishes is pretty good too, although the TV version is better than the full one.

Wiseblade

udivision said:
I thought that was a One Piece song for a second there...

Uh... so...
Anyone here like the Hoenn rap?
Kanto Pokérap >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Unova PokéRap

Other pokéraps? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Spurt! > Battle Frontier

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Can't Stop Catching Them All is easily just as good as the Kanto Pokerap. Suck it Wiseblade. ^_^

udivision

Andrex said:
Can't Stop Catching Them All is easily just as good as the Kanto Pokerap. Suck it Wiseblade. ^_^
I just youtube'd it.
Andrex, you've invoked the "Your Opinion is Factually Wrong" clause.
You're opinion is factually wrong.
Hoenn > all.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
udivision said:
I just youtube'd it.
Andrex, you've invoked the "Your Opinion is Factually Wrong" clause.
You're opinion is factually wrong.
Hoenn > all.

Embrace the new, you old fuddy duddy. :p

It's a pretty damn catchy song.

I don't even remember Hoenn's, and neither does Wiseblade, so I'll go out on a limb and say it sucks.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
The fact I actually recognise it is a testament to its quality. It loses major points for using less than a third of the Unova dex.

Andrex said:
Embrace the new, you old fuddy duddy. :p

It's a pretty damn catchy song.

I don't even remember Hoenn's, and neither does Wiseblade, so I'll go out on a limb and say it sucks.
Oh, I remember it. That's the problem.

I think it's far better that we pretend these things don't exist.

Pokemon: Master Quest was the last time I watched the anime. 2003, I think? So, right when I started high school. I don't think I did anything Pokemon for a while there. I quit collecting the cards, quit watching the anime, and quit playing the games.

I eventually got Emerald version for Christmas (2005?), and I started playing the games again. I never got back into the anime or cards though...

I find it hard to believe I went four years without playing Pokemon. Crystal (2001) -> Emerald (2005).

Wiseblade

UltimateIke said:
Crystal (2001) -> Emerald (2005).
AW HELL NAW

Generation III Defense Force... Assemble!

Emerald is easily superior to everything preceeding it (along with Diamond/Pearl/Platinum). This is indisputable FACT.

Sagitario said:
The best opening song is movie version the original one (from the first movie), [Latin] Spanish version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNjQjpRPfas

Second place goes for Johto Journeys [also in Spanish :p]:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=KYF4Zu4GiIU
Get your latin moonspeak out of here!

They're actually not bad.

Firestorm

Izayoi said:
I seriously hope you didn't just take an elitist stand on the Pokemon anime of all things.

Top Bottom