• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Conquest |OT| Gotta conquer 'em all

Teknoman

I will play it cause it's Pokemon but I know it will suck cause it's an SRPG

i0gU5fe4UCDdW.jpg

:O I heard about this but didn't realize it was coming out this month in NA! I will try to pick this up for sure. I probably haven't played an SRPG since Advance Wars Days of Ruin (if that counts) or FFTA2 (if that counts).

They count, but you should play Devil Survivor 2 at some poiint. Seriously.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, er, can you get the Gamestop Powerup Rewards 'mons in the game? I don't want to pre-order and want to pick this up when it's cheaper so I'm curious.

Cheska

I'm glad I didn't look at too much information before this or it would have made the wait unbearable. And now, only a week left, YAY!

MLH

Note: This game is DSi-enhanced. Europeans looking to import can still play it in a DS or DS Lite. Won't work in a DSi, DSiXL, or 3DS because of the region lock.

FUCK. I had this game on pre-order thinking it would work and since I only have a DSi and a 3DS, I'm pretty much screwed.
So what are the DSi enchanced features, or is it just to take advantage of the region lock?
Also, when/will Europeans get to play this?

Kazerei

Banned
So, er, can you get the Gamestop Powerup Rewards 'mons in the game? I don't want to pre-order and want to pick this up when it's cheaper so I'm curious.

The Pokemon passwords are universal, so once someone shares the passwords on the internet, we'll all get access to those bonus Pokemon :D

FUCK. I had this game on pre-order thinking it would work and since I only have a DSi and a 3DS, I'm pretty much screwed.
So what are the DSi enchanced features, or is it just to take advantage of the region lock?
Also, when/will Europeans get to play this?

Did you pre-order the Aussie version? There's a good chance it'll work on a Euro DSi/3DS.

I don't think there are any DSi features, it's just for the region lock :(

Forkball

I'm a bit sad that this is only an SRPG and doesn't have any nation-building aspects. I'll definitely check it out though.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
A bit odd that there is no European release date. Maybe this will be another Chibi Robo Park Patrol and only come to the US/AU.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
The Pokemon fan in me wants to preorder this immediately to tide myself over until B2/W2, but the SRPG fan in me wants to play a legitimate tactics game. How is the actual gameplay? Is it standard fare with a Pokemon twist, or is it a decent (maybe deep) SRPG in its own right?

MLH

That's actually a good point. The Aussie version might work on European hardware. Somebody with money to spare test it and let gaf know.

the cheapest AU option I can find is $49.95 AUD(~£32) from games101. Its hard to justify that price when 365games is doing the US version for £22.99.
The manufacturer code for this game is TWLPVPYT, so it's confirmed to be DSi enhanced. (Note: games beginning with NTR are DS cards while those with TWL are DSi cards) But I imagine Europe and Australia share the same region encoding like we do for everything else.
Oh well, I have a feeling NOE will announce this at a later date for Autumn release.

XeroSauce

Why do I get a feeling like this is a babies day out SRPG?

Well it's Pokemon, and while Pokemon games can have a surprising amount of depth,they appear to be simple monster fighting games with types.

We don't know if there are some crazy mechanics behind the battles so how can you feel like this will be simple?

gerudoman

Come on NoE, I need my traditional Pokémon dose in summer! I highly doubt that we'll ever get to see it here, honestly. It's such a weird crossover that the sales prediction must be really poor and they aren't even bothering to translate it into several languages :(

Is it 100% developed by Tecmo or is Game Freak or any other Pokémon studios involved?

Hold on a sec, this isn't out until June 18th?

I think a store near me may have broken street date. I was there yesterday and saw this with an actual pricing sticker and actual box, not a display box or anything.

I shall investigate!

XeroSauce

Because Hero's evolved form is way more awesome than Heroine's evolved form
1-3.png

Yes, you still control the Pokemon, it's not AI. What I meant was, the Pokemon move around the battlefield and attack each other and stuff (as you can see in the screens). The Warriors just kind of hang back, use items, or use their special abilities.

Oh god it's Persona 4 Golden

Kazerei

Banned
The Pokemon fan in me wants to preorder this immediately to tide myself over until B2/W2, but the SRPG fan in me wants to play a legitimate tactics game. How is the actual gameplay? Is it standard fare with a Pokemon twist, or is it a decent (maybe deep) SRPG in its own right?

I have a feeling the gameplay mechanics are pretty simple, but good strategy is still required. And there's probably enough variety to keep things interesting. For SRPG vets the main story will probably be easy, but hopefully the extra content will pose a challenge. The mainline Pokemon games are easy too, but still lots of fun IMO.

Ondore

So is this intended to be the gateway drug to things like FFT:WotL and Yggdra Union?

Because my XL is so ready for this.

So the pre-order unlocks are basically password codes, right?

I was on the fence with this one but those two early reviews are selling me. It's odd to pair Dynasty Warriors with Pokemon, but it looks like a really fun SRPG.

If Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky taught me anything, it's that Pokemon + [insert unorthodox-for-Pokemon genre here] = awesome. Really excited for this.

Blizzard

Banned
According to someone I know, Best Buy's Canada site has like $10 off this game. Tragically I don't know of any discounts for the United States, though!

Tom_Cody

Not a huge pokemon fan and only a casual fan of the SRPG genre, but I am excited about the prospect of a Nintendo published SRPG.

Are there any import impressions floating around? What's the word?

Blizzard

Banned
A third review popped up, 80/100 by EGM:

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-pokemon-conquest/

"•THE GOOD: Interesting blend of turn-based strategy elements with Pokémon.
•THE BAD: Hardcore Pokémon fans will miss the traditional catching and leveling aspects of the main series.
•THE UGLY: Some of the simplest level design you’ll ever see."

Overall it does sound pretty simplistic -- I want it but it sounds like collecting pokemon may be frustrating because each land can only hold 6 trainers at a time, or something like that. I guess I'll wait on more reviews to decide for sure!

*edit* Sorry, I didn't even realize I was already beaten to this particular review.

XeroSauce

A third review popped up, 80/100 by EGM:

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-pokemon-conquest/

"•THE GOOD: Interesting blend of turn-based strategy elements with Pokémon.
•THE BAD: Hardcore Pokémon fans will miss the traditional catching and leveling aspects of the main series.
•THE UGLY: Some of the simplest level design you’ll ever see."

Overall it does sound pretty simplistic -- I want it but it sounds like collecting pokemon may be frustrating because each land can only hold 6 trainers at a time, or something like that. I guess I'll wait on more reviews to decide for sure!

*edit* Sorry, I didn't even realize I was already beaten to this particular review.

Still sounds like it'll be one of those games that you'll enjoy whether or not it's simple. Like Epic Yarn.

Rimfya

Banned
I never play phone games. I still haven't beaten Ghost Trick because its on my phone. Considering just buying the DS version.

I don't buy phone games because they're phone games. Quality games I would buy and play ... thanks for the reminder on Ghost Trick :)

Alchemy

I'm in for a copy day one since I don't trust there will be very many copies for this floating around. It will sit in my queue but I can't wait to get to this. First side Pokemon game I'm actually excited for.

Blizzard

Banned
Still sounds like it'll be one of those games that you'll enjoy whether or not it's simple. Like Epic Yarn.
Epic Yarn bothered me because of the creepy announcer, and how ultra simple it was, but when I played it with a second player it was actually pretty awesome. I am a big Kirby fan but I don't know that I would enjoy it very much in singleplayer.

QP3

This will probably be one of the few SRPGs I'll be able to get into. So hyped.

Same here. Never really enjoyed the SRPGs that I have come across, but have hopes this will change it. Looks fun, plus it is Pokemon so I think I might get a kick out of it.

So if I like:

Fire Emblem
Advance Wars
Ghost Recon 3DS

but don't like:

strategy games that take out all the strategy by allowing grinding

Will I like this? I completely passed on Mario Tennis and might be taking a trip for July 4th. A new portable game would be perfect about now.

Busaiku

IGN gives it a 9.
Pokémon Conquest represents a complete re-imagining of the Pokémon universe - a thoughtful, masterful take on what a Pokémon RPG can be. The high stakes and bountiful characters of Nobunaga's Ambition strengthen and add flavor to the unassumingly captivating story. The collecting aspect, familiar monsters and healthy peppering of Pokémon concepts only further fuel the experience. With incredibly deep gameplay and some seriously successful world building, Conquest more than stands on its own two feet. The risks the developers took – including the very concept of the game itself - all paid off beautifully, helping Conquest easily live up to the Pokémon name.

Pokémon fans should not hesitate to give Conquest a try. It offers a new and different way to enjoy the Pokémon universe, and is well worth your time and money. The same goes for strategy fans, or those looking to get into the genre. For all these reasons, and for the game’s creative and apt execution, I walked away from the experience thoroughly impressed and amazed. It easily stands alongside the similarly well-executed (and unexpectedly splendid) likes of Pokémon Snap as one of the greatest, most fully realized Pokémon spinoffs in existence.

Top Bottom