• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is this raking in so much money? The game barely works when the servers are actually up.

I mean I went on a walk with the intent of catching Pokemon on the way and I'm kinda pissed the server seems to be down...

But I mean I doubt they were buying servers for this game assuming it'd beat twitter and become as big as it is.

Feels shallow to complain the launch hasn't been ideal. I doubt they thought it'd be this big.

mCStcA7.jpg

You can plug in any state right now. It's summer time!!

actheat_600x405.jpg

Pulls out phone after 10k and the app is closed and it only recorded 0.1k - i do love that the battery saver mode doesn't disable the main front buttons when using it (it really should).

There really is some silly design decisions with this game (not recording steps with the app in the background being a big one).

Guessing Android? Are apps allowed to disable the main hardware buttons? Sounds like a massive risk to give apps that kind of power.

They definitely need to get it running while locked/in the background though, but that's something else.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So finally downloaded this. Played it for a bit. Not for me sadly though the social stuff is great, the gameplay is kind of abysmal and it kept crapping out on me. Maybe I'll try it in a few months when its gotten a couple of content dumps and some serious upgrades.

Pejo

So I wanted to confirm that the Evee evolution name easter egg trick worked for me.

Nicknamed my highest Evee Rainer and evolved, and bam, a Vaporeon. I already had one of each of the other two, so this was a nice little thing.

The Cowboy

Man you really can't do much with the pokemon at all. As much fun as scouting for pokemon is, I reaaally hope they add more feature soon

The big one for me is using caught Pokémon to weaken/fight wild Pokémon, it baffles me that isn't in it already - its one of the main things from the entire series/games/movies.

Blahhh tried to log on during the lunch hour at 1pm PDT and haven't been able to log on at all since lunchtime.

Missing out on fishing for magikarp from my desk at work...

The white pokeball never stops spinning for me. Does that mean it's not properly communicating with the server? Usually it only spins for a second or two and then it goes away.

Durden77

Yeah, it's totally understandable that they could not prepare for this. No matter how popular Pokemon is, this type of phenomenon is unprecedented.

However, now that they've seen the masses go absolutely nuts over it for over 2 WEEKS and it basically added 9 BILLION DOLLARS to Nintendo's bottom line in 1 WEEK, you'd think they'd have everyone they fucking could working 24/7 on this shit to get it working and capitalize on that and do everything they could possibly do for it. I mean shit, this is a once in a generation type of event, and the servers/bugs are killing it much quicker than it should. They are killing their own revolution.

The Cowboy

Simplicity.

That's the issue - Its way to simple, bar going to a gym you can do nothing at all with your Pokémon.

You can catch loads of Pokémon, power them up and then basically do nothing with them if you aren't near a gym, it would nice to just do something as basic as fighting wild Pokémon.

Wasted like 20 Balls on a Pidgeot.

I'm surrounded by Pokestops so it isn't that bad.

This is a bad thing about the game for me. Enemy cp and your trainer level doesn't seem to have any effect on them escaping balls. I've had 15 CP pidgey and magikarp escape balls multiple times, but other 300+ CP Pokemon don't put up a fight.

I seriously haven't seen server bullshit like this since vanilla WoW in 2005. At least back then Blizzard was constantly apologizing and compensating people left and right.

Got to go back 11 years to find a comparison for this mess, that's an accomplishment.

I seriously haven't seen server bullshit like this since vanilla WoW in 2005. At least back then Blizzard was constantly apologizing and compensating people left and right.

Got to go back 11 years to find a comparison for this mess, that's an accomplishment.

To be fair, has there ever been an online game launch at anywhere near this scale?

Doesn't even remotely excuse the total lack of communication (serious, Niantic, community team NOW), but as far as server issues go, we are kind of in uncharted waters here.

So, I just spent good money on materials needed to make a 2000 mAH USB charger for a prop Pokeball that I ordered.

Going to swap out the stock plastic button with a metal angel eye LED one to make it look more realistic.

It'll be good for one full charge of a phone before I need to recharge the LiPo, and if I mess it up that's like $40 down the drain that could've been spent on in game items, but hell if it won't look AWESOME when I finish it.

Nothing else to do with the servers down...

Hoping to go to the park tonight. Servers better be up then.

ghibli99

To be fair, has there ever been an online game launch at anywhere near this scale?

Doesn't even remotely excuse the total lack of communication (serious, Niantic, community team NOW), but as far as server issues go, we are kind of in uncharted waters here.
Yeah, Niantic isn't charging every user a $15/mo subscription either. Things will get sorted, but folks are acting like you can just snap your fingers and resolve issues like this quickly. It takes time, especially if you want to do it right. I do wonder how many potential purchases/users they're losing due to the server problems, though...

elguero

Damn, servers were finally stable for me so I figured I was safe to pop an incense and start walking... get three blocks from the house and the game crashes

Visceir

Got another Growlithe from a 5km egg, 700 CP. 25 more candy and I can evolve one into Arcanine. It's a shame I never encounter them out in the wild.

foladar

Idk but will it really impact servers worldwide? I might not be thinking about it properly but I would have thought it should be very regional except for the exceptional cases of people traveling between different server regions.

its crashed every time they've added another country

EL CUCO

Dang, servers start working just as I walk into my house. Couldn't run my Pokestop routes. #FirstWorldTrainerProblems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom