• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. It seems weird to expand a broken product. I mean, yay, it's technically in another country. But what good is that if nothing in the game works?

Right. Saw a post on Reddit today where a guy figured out why the tracking for paw prints isn't working and he assumed that niantic disabled it to alleviate server load. Post got taken down I think, but if true, wtf are they doing

Chopper

Why do people defend the company and devs still?
They keep adding countries including sponsored locations - as if IAP was not enough - but stability for launch countries has if anything got worse
They don't communicate (a typical Google trait)
They remove features (maps and tracking).

Basically they are doing *nothing right* beyond the idea of the game itself.
It's not about defense. It's about perspective.

deoee

They keep adding countries including sponsored locations - as if IAP was not enough - but stability for launch countries has if anything got worse

Worst thing is, they are not fixing shit.

The tracking system was broken for how long now...? 1 week?

Kyrios

Right. Saw a post on Reddit today where a guy figured out why the tracking for paw prints isn't working and he assumed that niantic disabled it to alleviate server load. Post got taken down I think, but if true, wtf are they doing

Panicking and booking vacations.

Chaos17

The money you spend on stuff can be wasted due to bugs but the errors are never in your favor everything used is deducted.

They didn't added yet sponsored adds.

Panicking and booking vacations.

Or at least you'd think that because, despite pulling in millions a day, they can't shell out 40k for a community manager to at least reassure people they aren't doing that. Genuinely think servers could be this bad and people would be 50% less upset just by being given a heads up about what's going on.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
It's like, why you're letting the negative vibe grow? Appease your clients ffs. There's no direct update from them since 2 days ago (thru Twitter).

They didn't added yet sponsored adds.

That's the only bit of news that has leaked out of them though: sponsored locations in Japan
Or was that crap that fills the vacuum they have left?

And as for perspective vs defense, screw that. From the perspective of a player/customer they have done nothing right so far. Yes it's only been two weeks however all it would take is some messages explaining their perspective. Although I would love to see their perspective on adding countries when they can't cope with the ones they have. What is it, is it the adding countries guys are unqualified to help with improvements so they mayaswell copy the server files globally while the river of money is still flowing?

Vipu

Banned
I DID name it Pyro but I am very skeptical of the theory considering people have tried it before with all the troubleshooting and it didn't work. We'll see.

It work first time at least, after that not always.

My guess is you can select the order to have 1 of each, then start new cycle again.

Chaos17

That's the only bit of news that has leaked out of them though: sponsored locations in Japan
Or was that crap that fills the vacuum they have left?

I hope that you understand that so far, it's just a rumor because the game isn't released yet in Japan and TechCrunch is kinda the only source that everybody have... I know that you're salty but seriously get a break from the game because Niantics is planning to release in 200 countries. The bs we're going true will continue for a moment.

Defending ?
No, just telling ya how mmo launch is.
It's HORRIBLE for any game in general.

Customers want flawless service, that's normal.
Just stating the fact.

Kyrios

Or at least you'd think that because, despite pulling in millions a day, they can't shell out 40k for a community manager to at least reassure people they aren't doing that. Genuinely think servers could be this bad and people would be 50% less upset just by being given a heads up about what's going on.

I meant to run away :p

But seriously, I definitely agree with you communication is everything.

ghostmind

Just started playing this over the weekend with my son. Lots of fun so far, even though I've been away from Pokemon for over a decade.

Caught a Scyther at home last night... apparently it is rare?

IMG_3239_zpshjmsaph1.png

IMG_3240_zps37yehv7u.png

My Eevee glo'd up!
Water Pulse though... :'(

zulux21

Man it's raining hardcore out right now, want to go out and see if I can get some good water types to appear.

I just want to get back in.

I was in for about 5 min before the server died again :/

I have been trying constantly for the last 6 hours to get in :/

johnsmith

remember me
I really hope that when they enable trading you're only allowed to trade with people in your immediate physical vicinity. Collecting them all will be trivial if you can trade with people anywhere in the world.

I hope that you understand that so far, it's just a rumor because the game isn't released yet in Japan and TechCrunch is kinda the only source that everybody have... I know that you're salty but seriously get a break from the game because Niantics is planning to release in 200 countries. The bs we're going true will continue for a moment.

Defending ?
No, just telling ya how mmo launch is.
It's HORRIBLE for any game in general.

Customers want flawless service, that's normal.
Just stating the fact.

I'm not salty, I stopped playing. Just observing now. With some degree of amusement to be honest.
My point is that if they don't communicate then BS fills the gap. That is their first mistake. Even bad MMO launches communicate the desperation their teams are in and try to explain how they are working behind the scenes. And no, they are not all horrible. Overwatch was not horrible. Clash Royale was not horrible. Etc.

Secondly, bad MMO launches tend not to throw petrol on the fire by opening things up further, which increases their support load, while they are struggling with stability.

Third. I don't think anyone wants flawless service but anyone can see that this game is very simple. Trivial, even. It is more simple than draw something, or any supercell title. It doesn't even have notifications, or a proper background mode. It doesn't need to show other players, it is just a database of locations taken from Ingress, with a daemon that warps in pokemon, and a capture mechanic. Yet it eats the battery up and has appalling notification of bad connectivity or bad server responses.

One thing they have got right is the monetisation. It will unfailingly allow you to spend money on IAPs and unfailingly deduct for attempts to use them. However after that, it falls to pieces.

I don't see why Niantic should be given the benefit of the doubt because they don't communicate their own perspective and you can only judge them as devs by the actions which are: no communication, add territories, subtract features, no attempt to compensate for outages, no improvement in server reliability.
It sounds like I'm raging, I'm not at all. I spent $9.99 on day 1 and I don't want a refund and had my fun. However I don't understand why anyone here gives them the benefit of the doubt, while they remain silent. This is no longer day 1 through day 5 after all.

Guys, I've hatched two 10KM eggs and got an Eevie both times. Damn near cried when the second one popped up. The PokeGod's have failed me.

I read a couple of days back about the rumor of being soft banned. Three days I was not able to get any items from pokestops and every Pokemon I tried to catch would escape and vanish right after the first click of the pokeball. I have not done any GPS spoofing, and I have caught Pokemon while riding in a car. I chalked it up to being a glitch. Not sure if the soft ban theory is confirmed, just wanted to mention it.

Also, someone a few pages back had a theory that the Pokemon that is week to your starter would be highly uncommon for you. I can go ahead and shut that down as I started off with Charmander and have caught plenty of Bulbasaur's. I've only caught one other Charmander since then and two Squirtal's.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I really hope that when they enable trading you're only allowed to trade with people in your immediate physical vicinity. Collecting them all will be trivial if you can trade with people anywhere in the world.

This is probably how they'll implement it. Airports are your best place for trading exclusive region Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom