• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Chuckie

There was a Tauros in a gym, so now my seen total is up to 144.

Hopefully they switch around the region exclusives soon.

They dont have to switch...but I'd love some sort of event that gives you the change to catch a regional exclusive.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
They dont have to switch...but I'd love some sort of event that gives you the change to catch a regional exclusive.
Or finally implement trading so I can trade the extra Tauroses I brought back from my holidays in the US for a farfetch'd and à Kangourex.

EDIT : Finally got a Ditto this morning I can stop catching ratatas and pidgeys again.

Oxx

Just crawled up to level 31.

Hopefully I can make real progress towards level 32 before the event finishes.

Nah fuck that noise. One of the unique things about the game is the travel aspect. Hopefully they stick to their guns and keep some those Pokemon region exclusive. I hope they add more as more gens come in too. Whether it's exclusive to whole continents, or just parts of certain continents. For one it'd be cool if you could only get Abomasnow in higher elevations where it snows. Or something like Hippowdown only in more extreme desert locations.

darksagus

Nah fuck that noise. One of the unique things about the game is the travel aspect. Hopefully they stick to their guns and keep some those Pokemon region exclusive. I hope they add more as more gens come in too. Whether it's exclusive to whole continents, or just parts of certain continents. For one it'd be cool if you could only get Abomasnow in higher elevations where it snows. Or something like Hippowdown only in more extreme desert locations.

They could also charge you $5 every time you open the game, that's unique. Unique doesn't mean it's good.

Joni

How does Ditto work? If I put it against a 2500 CP Dragonite, will it actually raise Ditto's CP up to 2500?

If your Ditto is Level 26, it will turn into a Level 26 Dragonite. If the opposing Dragonite is Level 20 for instance, the Ditto will be stronger than the real Pokémon if I understand correctly.

border

If your Ditto is Level 26, it will turn into a Level 26 Dragonite. If the opposing Dragonite is Level 20 for instance, the Ditto will be stronger than the real Pokémon if I understand correctly.

When people talk about the "Level" of a pokemon, do they mean its IV, its CP, or some other combination of values?

So presumably a low-CP Ditto that has its progress maxed out can take down a 2500-3000 CP Pokemon when it transforms?
It's a Pokemon of the type you're battling but of a level as high as your own Ditto. If someone leaves a Pokemon with good moves as a first in a gym, it wouldn't be a bad idea to just push ditto and see how far it can go.

I mean, a Max level Gyarados or Dragonite is a beast and can easily take down half a gym.

The double Xp event is pretty much the only way to lvl in the 30's - I managed to get to 31 and close to 32 with the lucky eggs I got from lvl 30 (and some from the shop).

On top of that, doing it with either your first spin/catch of the day or on day 7... man it's so good. Don't think i'll seriously do any lvls at least during day 7's. Otherwise I'll be saving up pidgeys/rattata's for events - pretty much expecting an Xmas one.

The announcement wasn't part of the event announcement, so we can assume Ditto is here to stay.

Thanks.

Ugh. I just caught like 50 Pidgeys and Rattatas and no Ditto. =/

I'm sure the rate is probably smaller than that though I'm sure they don't want people being able to capture a million dittos easily.

Joni

I found a Rattata that immediately popped out of curved PokéBall, then did Great Ball with Razz, then did five Ultra Balls with Razz Berry. Turned out it was just an annoying rat.

JavyOO7

Practice throwing curve balls and getting 'great' on the rat and Pidgey. It will be worth it. 320 XP for the event going on.

except CP and IV does not matter? only lvl?

IVs matter. Ditto's default CP is only relevant when fighting another Ditto (as Ditto doesn't transform when fighting another Ditto and can only use Struggle).

Transformed Ditto:
- Ditto's IVs
- Ditto's level
- Opponent's species

(all three of which combine to form Ditto's new CP)

- Opponent's move-set

But it a transformed Ditto really as strong as the Pokemon it transforms into? Because I once fought a Ditto with my Rhydon that was 1849CP and the Ditto transformed into a Rhydon with 2100ish CP and he didn't have any chance at all.

fisheyes

So there's a park like 2 minutes from my house with 10 Pokestops in a 15 minute walking loop. Its always been amazing for Pokestops, but the actual Pokemon have been pretty samey. However, it now looks like it has become a Scyther nest - I got 5 or so in 15 minutes. I'm figuring I might as well try and load up on Scyther candy ready for Scizor.

Does anyone know...

1) How long, roughly, are nests sticking around now? I know they are changing a lot more now.

2) Has anyone datamined and found out how much candy the gen 2 evolutions will need? As a two stage Pokemon it should be 50, but I'm wondering if gen 2 will do something different.

So there's a park like 2 minutes from my house with 10 Pokestops in a 15 minute walking loop. Its always been amazing for Pokestops, but the actual Pokemon have been pretty samey. However, it now looks like it has become a Scyther nest - I got 5 or so in 15 minutes. I'm figuring I might as well try and load up on Scyther candy ready for Scizor.

Does anyone know...

1) How long, roughly, are nests sticking around now? I know they are changing a lot more now.

2) Has anyone datamined and found out how much candy the gen 2 evolutions will need? As a two stage Pokemon it should be 50, but I'm wondering if gen 2 will do something different.

I dont think we know a bit about how evolutions will work once another generation drops...

Hell how will "pre"volutions work? Questions will be answered once we get there, I doubt they will put new gen stuff in updates for stability or so...

Red Fire

Unplayable right now for me :( map doesn't load pokemon models so i only see white circles i can't click on. Can't battle gyms either :(

Probably because i ran out of high speed data. Bad timing damnit!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've been getting that loading problem I mentioned even more frequently now. This morning I had to restart twice before the stops and gyms loaded. Problem is that nothing works when the game loads in that state: pokémon don't appear on nearby and your distance doesn't track. Went to walk the dog yesterday and about 1km didn't track because of that loading issue.

GeoGonzo

Performance wise this game is a mess. Drains battery like crazy and every patch seems to run worse and worse... except when by mistake it switches to 60fps (which is hilarious, more games need this "bug"). I really can't imagine how much worse it would run if had to keep 100 pokemon more in its memory.

And the issues with sound are awful too: This is literally the only game I have with both sound and music disabled and even then it still annoys me by lowering the volume of whatever else I'm listening to.

Apologies for the ranting but playing a good iOS port like Steamworld Heist (which not only is tons of fun but also runs flawlessly) makes Pokemon Go's deficiencies even more evident. :-/

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Performance wise this game is a mess. Drains battery like crazy and every patch seems to run worse and worse... except when by mistake it switches to 60fps (which is hilarious, more games need this "bug"). I really can't imagine how much worse it would run if had to keep 100 pokemon more in its memory.

And the issues with sound are awful too: This is literally the only game I have with both sound and music disabled and even then it still annoys me by lowering the volume of whatever else I'm listening to.

Apologies for the ranting but playing a good iOS port like Steamworld Heist (which not only is tons of fun but also runs flawlessly) makes Pokemon Go's deficiencies even more evident. :-/
For what it's worth, the volume thing has been happening with other games too on iOS 10. And yeah, it's pretty annoying.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The connection is pretty ass right now for me (on wi-fi). "Unknown error" while transferring pokemons, blank map, slow loading.

edit: and now it's smooth. the old bitching on gaf trick.

The gym nerf has finally caught up to me. People botting have made it pretty much impossible for me to keep more than a few gyms every time I play.

Yeah it's pretty dumb IMO. Only ever take a gym for the coin bonus, cause good luck keeping it more than like 15 minutes.

So many GPS spoofers too, even in my little podunk town.

Hit 28 with a massive 130K EXP lucky egg yesterday. I think that's the fastest I've leveled up since the early run from 1-15 during launch.

Part of me wants to try and grind to 30 by the end of the year, but part of me knows I'll be lucky to hit 29. 300K EXP is no joke.

Even factoring in the EXP gained by catching them, that's like 100 Pokémon evolutions which would take me about a month to prep. I can do about 20-30 pidgeys a week if I'm lucky.

I only really play for two hours twice a week though, so eh. Maybe there will be another double EXP event or something.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I didn't even know about the ditto thing and saw my Ratatta turn into one and freaked the fuck out, lol.

So I have a ditto now I guess?
Seriously. I threw a ball at some random thing and then put my phone down as I usually do during the whole ball wave/animation thing.

The next time I look at my phone, it was showing a ditto. I was like "....okay, cool"

Saw my first Snorlax yesterday and the game froze.

Rebooted and he popped up again and ran away like a bitch. :(

So excited to get my 3DSXL today so I can finally fully play a Pokemon game since the early GBA era

I might be checking out from this game for a while

Final Stats and Dex:
LVL 29
Caught - 126
Seen - 137

Ditto has a Base Capture Rate (BCR) of 16%, among the lowest in-game for an unevolved Pokemon. In comparison, the common Pokemon it disguises as all have BCR of 40% or 56%. This means Ditto is 3-4 times harder to catch. If you throw an excellent curved Ultra Ball and that Pidgey still breaks out, it might be a Ditto (or knowing your luck, it might not).

holy shit I didn't know this. I got really lucky then. I found a Ditto on my second Pidgey after the Update and caught it with a berry+greatball

Top Bottom