• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

It feels like there's always something made really rare at Pokestops at all times. Right now it's berries. I'm barely seeing any berries.
I don't even use them much, if at all anymore. If it's something I'm afraid is gonna run away I'll just throw an ultra ball at it. Currently sitting at 140 berries. I'm actually debating on trashing some of them to make room for more potions, revives, etc.

I don't even use them much, if at all anymore. If it's something I'm afraid is gonna run away I'll just throw an ultra ball at it. Currently sitting at 140 berries. I'm actually debating on trashing some of them to make room for more potions, revives, etc.
You really should try using them against pidgey and ratattas. Saves on pokeballs.

AdanVC

Walk! At least you'll have a cool buddy!

I will in the future. Right now I'm giving priority to other Pokémon to evolve them. Hope it takes me less time to get enough to evolve this perfect lil dinosaur :c

Do IVs really even matter in the grand scheme of things? Is a 100% Charizard going to be appreciably better than an 85% Charizard?

It just seems like this tedious min-maxing stuff might have been useful in competitive play for the GBA/DS games, but what difference is it really going to make in Pokémon Go?

I think you're right... I for example, have a 68 IV Vaporeon wich is my main attacker when I take down gyms and I use it pretty comfortably and it's powerful since it has 2068 CP, and I haven't even powered yet!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
You really should try using them against pidgey and ratattas. Saves on pokeballs.
This is how I see it too. Doing berry+pokeball on a 400-500+ cp pokemon potentially saves me either a great ball or a second/third regular pokeball.

I'm always short on pokeballs so I've learned to use berries often.

GulAtiCa

Whenever I do get around to hatching my 9 10k eggs, I really hope to get some of the following in this order:

Lapras - Only missing Pokemon from gen 1 (besides Dewdong which I'll have by Friday)
Snorlax - Already have a few, but could use some to place in gyms. Hopefully get good moves and not another Lick / Body Slam..
Dratini - Could always use more Dratini candies! 3rd Dragonite be cool.
Chansey - Already have 1, but need more candy to evolve once Blissey comes along.
Onix - Already have 1, but getting more candy will help me get Steelix later on.
Scyther - Just short of 50 candies. Need just a bit more for Scizor!

My last 10k egg was received on Monday morning. So I guess there is a small chance, likely not, that it could be a 10k baby pokemon. That be neat.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Why can't I hold all these Santachus!

Real glad they made them semi-common, at least in my area. My previous 2 pikachus were both hatches iirc.

New Hat version has been popping on my way and I had luck with them not escaping. I hope I can find one 82%~100% before the event ends, but if I don't it's no big deal as the two non-hat ones are in that range.

c-murph

Everyone catch their Christmas Pikachu?

I turn my game on for the first time in months and I had a new exp system and a Chirstmas Pikachu waiting to be caught. Took me like several berries and 5 ultra balls though.

BowieZ

Banned
Everyone catch their Christmas Pikachu?

I turn my game on for the first time in months and I had a new exp system and a Chirstmas Pikachu waiting to be caught. Took me like several berries and 5 ultra balls though.
And then the app is closed again for another few months.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Jealous of y'all with a Santachu. They don't seem to be more common here at all. I've seen more Snorlax since the event started!

border

It absolutely matters for gym position. Having slightly faster killing time on something like Snorlax is also not irrelevant.

How does IV matter in Gym position? As far as I can tell, your rank in the gym is related only to CP.

It isn't to say that IV is irrelevant, but since so much of your damage mitigation and attack power comes from active abilities that the very passive stats ultimately don't matter as much.

The 100% perfect IV Arcanine that you put on a tower isn't going to really matter much because anyone with a 50% IV Vaporeon is going to murder it.

JavyOO7

Son of a bitch... nests changed a few hours ago. Thought that'd be tomorrow. Fak. Hopefully Omanyte nests don't get too far away when I check tomorrow.

Joni

Son of a bitch... nests changed a few hours ago. Thought that'd be tomorrow. Fak. Hopefully Omanyte nests don't get too far away when I check tomorrow.

Exeggcute turned to Seel for me, too bad. And it means my local one spot Charmander nest is probably also gone, even worse as I was getting close to 125 candy. I could walk the remaining 19 but I need a good Charmander to evolve.

This is how I see it too. Doing berry+pokeball on a 400-500+ cp pokemon potentially saves me either a great ball or a second/third regular pokeball.

Wasn't it confirmed that berries don't increase the catch rate but just decrease the flee rate? So they don't help with keeping a pokemon in the ball but they reduce the chances of it fleeing after breaking out?

Firemind

How does IV matter in Gym position? As far as I can tell, your rank in the gym is related only to CP.

It isn't to say that IV is irrelevant, but since so much of your damage mitigation and attack power comes from active abilities that the very passive stats ultimately don't matter as much.

The 100% perfect IV Arcanine that you put on a tower isn't going to really matter much because anyone with a 50% IV Vaporeon is going to murder it.
IVs influence the max CP of your current trainer level. You don't compare an Arcanine to a Vaporeon. You compare a 100% Vaporeon to a 50% Vaporeon and the difference is more than 150cp at level 30. That's a huge difference. I don't know how many times I've seen more than a few Pokemon in a gym within 50cp of each other. Yes, sometimes if someone wants to take down a gym, they will. Sometimes, they won't or they can't because of lack of resources or time. I've personally seen lvl. 7+ gyms get taken down, leave it at lvl. 3 with my Pokemon in the third spot and it gets rebuild to lvl. 7+ again by fellow teammates.

Finally got enough candies to evolve another Machoke (why are Machomp's so rare...?). Now I have everything apart from Hitmonchan and Aerodactyl for a living dex. Not that I think I'll ever catch either but getting a few of those missing secondary evolutions again has given me something to do in the game at least.

Hatched an Elekid from a 10k egg and he's number 239 in my Pokedex.

So now I suddenly have 96 blank spots in my dex, which is both exciting and daunting!

tauke

Got my first Aerodactyl just now and finally caught enough Seel for Dewgong!

Now left Kabutops, Chansey, Lapras and Hitmonlee to complete Gen 1 Pokemon for my region...

I very much imagine the next line of Gen 2 Pokemon will be the new Gen 1 evolutions.

That would be cool. I'm sitting on so many Evees right now and also all the other Pokemon that got a new evolution in Gen 2.
It would also be cool if they start with the Gen 2 starters.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Crobat will be cool because regardless of nest changes I'm always surrounded by Zubats and Golbats.

GulAtiCa

I'm less then 4km away from having my Dewdong. After this, I think I'll put my lone Porygon as my next buddy. Help get it ready for Porygon 2. I really doubt I'll hatch another anytime soon. Esp when I need 40 candies... lol

I'm less then 4km away from having my Dewdong. After this, I think I'll put my lone Porygon as my next buddy. Help get it ready for Porygon 2. I really doubt I'll hatch another anytime soon. Esp when I need 40 candies... lol

I've caught one Snorlax ever and am in dire need of candy but I can't bring myself to use him as my buddy. I'm too impatient to have to wait so long in-between candies.

GulAtiCa

I've caught one Snorlax ever and am in dire need of candy but I can't bring myself to use him as my buddy. I'm too impatient to have to wait so long in-between candies.

It's not actually that bad. I've done my Dratini for the Halloween quad candy for buddy event, and even walked him an extra 100km after that for the next month and half (140km total). So I would get a new candy basically every other day.

It being much colder outside now would limit things of course. If there is a double candy event around the week of Christmas or New Years, I wouldn't be as productive of course.

jts

...hate me...
After putting it down for months I felt slightly compelled to get back into the game because of all the updates and festivities stuff.

But in real life I found it unacceptable to go back into that "open app, stick phone in pocket upside down and pray you don't accidentally lock it or exit the app, and if this wasn't inconvenient already, enjoy the battery drain".

That's why I stopped playing when the Pokémon Plus came came out, I ordered one and it has been backordered since.

I have an Apple Watch, so that could fix it as well, but alas, it seems to be just one more Niantic-branded vapourware feature. Or one more lie.

Just venting my frustrations, carry on.

But in real life I found it unacceptable to go back into that "open app, stick phone in pocket upside down and pray you don't accidentally lock it or exit the app, and if this wasn't inconvenient already, enjoy the battery drain".

I think the battery drain is one of the biggest nails in the coffin for Go. It just takes too much up and there's no real convenient alternative besides the Plus. Perhaps if the app didn't have to actively be on, it would be better. I mean, I walk all over too and it doesn't seem to be registering my steps..probably due to the GPS though.

Alternatively I think something that needs to be addressed is the spawn rate. It's clear they can change the types of Pokemon that appear, so there shouldn't be any reason for them to still have fuck tons of trashmons like Paras, Oddish and Venonat appear all over. Even more so now that the game is expanding and there's a wider array of Pokemon to find. I don't know exactly how to remedy this because of the differences for instance in city VS rural areas but it would be nice to go into the game and not see the same 5-6 Pokemon everywhere.

Red Fire

This app is draining more and more data which sucks because it's unplayable without it.

I have 750 mb per month and it used to use like 400 of that per month for pokemon go. Now it uses 750 mb for pokemon go after 2-3 weeks. What the heck i cant play for a week or two now every month. This sucks.

GulAtiCa

So.. Since the Halloween Event ended, I've been hoarding certain Pokemon hoping to cash in on the next potential double candy event around Christmas. (I'll obviously cash them out by Jan 1st if obvious one isn't coming or different type occurs).

Anyways, here is my current stock pile: (In the list might be a few, 80+ IVs I'll likely keep)

Bulbasaur: 18
Charmander: 4
Squirtle: 15
Wartortle: 4
Vulpix: 2
Growlithe: 28
Abra: 6
Machop: 7
Geodude: 3
Exeggcute: 31
Rhyhorn: 4
Dratini: 31
Dragonair: 2

Grand Total: 155.

Before the Thanksgiving event ended, I actually also had a bunch of Nidorans too! I decided to evolve a bunch of them instead. Prob would have added +30 to the list.
I'm basically out of room. I already started to transfer some of the Bulbs & Squirtles. lol

jariw

This app is draining more and more data which sucks because it's unplayable without it.

I have 750 mb per month and it used to use like 400 of that per month for pokemon go. Now it uses 750 mb for pokemon go after 2-3 weeks. What the heck i cant play for a week or two now every month. This sucks.

Make sure to not reboot the app often, with the new update. The models are loaded from the internet data now, but only once in each session.

WPS

Make sure to not reboot the app often, with the new update. The models are loaded from the internet data now, but only once in each session.

Oh. In that case, may as well just cycle through the dex while I'm on wif-

*game crashes*

Never mind.

My Pokedex is so weak guys

I ain't got Snorlax, Aerodactyl, etc; nothing other than base forms of the gen 1 starters.

I've seen some great diversity lately, but I haven't been into Atlanta to check the hotspots there.

Now we've got Gen 2 bearing down on us and I feel wholly inadequate.

I got my Go Plus finally from the Amazon restock from earlier in the month. So far, it's definitely worth it for heading over to the local bar (with a pokestop). I can just pay attention to whatever football game is on and press the button whenever the pokestop refreshes.

68 Pokemon lined up for a lucky egg. Wondering if they will do another double xp session soon.

Indeed. It is worth it. Started doing that recently and saves a couple of balls.

I will definitely be using them now.
Wasn't it confirmed that berries don't increase the catch rate but just decrease the flee rate? So they don't help with keeping a pokemon in the ball but they reduce the chances of it fleeing after breaking out?
I thought the exact same thing too, glad I didn't get rid of them now.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of this.

Top Bottom