• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

AdanVC

Ahh, crazy. Yeah Spearow is super common here. Still haven't seen a damn Magnemite anywhere =/

I would totally change Pidgeys to Spearows as the most common pokemon anyday! So sick of seeing Pidgeys all day here D: Magnemites used to be pretty common here back in July but from one day to another they vanished from existence... Now it's Sandshrew, Growlithe land here!

Azole

Neo Member
Is their a way to look cp caps up? Still holding back most of my stardust. Lvl 22. Looking forward to Nidoking and Queen.

Just look up IV calculators. I have both those and have yet to spend my dust on them (dust went to vap, exeggcutor, lapras, gyarados, polliwrath, arcanine, and saving rest for snorlax and dragonite).

I would totally change Pidgeys to Spearows as the most common pokemon anyday! So sick of seeing Pidgeys all day here D: Magnemites used to be pretty common here back in July but from one day to another they vanished from existence... Now it's Sandshrew, Growlithe land here!

We still get lots of Pidgeys. They're nice for the mass leveling.

Although, I could use Sandshrews and Growlithes! Never seen a wild Sanshrew here, just had one hatch from an egg, and occasional Growlithes pop up, but not nearly enough for me to even be half way to an Arcanine =/

ta9qi

2 months later and finally found my first Grimace Grimer!
Woot, this guy was waiting for me at the train station. No crash!
is this a coincidence, cuz i got my grimer today too when i was going to work at morning, maybe 100 meter outside my home, never saw him before ANYWHERE!!!!

also...Got my first snorlax, Finally! T_T

JerkShep

Is there a website or an app that's basically a more extended version of pokemesh in scanning range? It would be really useful to me to find some of the last mons I need. I guess I'm asking a bit too much though

Just look up IV calculators. I have both those and have yet to spend my dust on them (dust went to vap, executor, lapras, gyarados, polliwrath, arcanine, and saving rest for snorlax and dragonite).

Did already, pretty good ones. Just 20 candy away. Would like to have all you listed but waiting for some good iv.

is this a coincidence, cuz i got my grimer today too when i was going to work at morning, maybe 100 meter outside my home, never saw him before ANYWHERE!!!!

also...Got my first snorlax, Finally! T_T

Later that night a second Grimace spawned 5 minutes from here, and then after it de-spawned, it spawned right back in the same exact spot!

Yeah, not sure it's a coincidence, maybe Niantic is sending Grimer's around for some reason.

Oh, and congrats on the Snorlax. :)

ta9qi

Later that night a second Grimace spawned 5 minutes from here, and then after it de-spawned, it spawned right back in the same exact spot!

Yeah, not sure it's a coincidence, maybe Niantic is sending Grimer's around for some reason.

Oh, and congrats on the Snorlax. :)
Thanx! after many maaany depressing 10km eggs (i have a country of magmars) !
about Grimer maybe he was too rare b4 and they decide to spread him more.. i wish i see more of him and ghastly :/
this week was very good in filling my pokedex, snorlax,grimer,lapras, and the guy with the long tongue

AdanVC

We still get lots of Pidgeys. They're nice for the mass leveling.

Although, I could use Sandshrews and Growlithes! Never seen a wild Sanshrew here, just had one hatch from an egg, and occasional Growlithes pop up, but not nearly enough for me to even be half way to an Arcanine =/

Maybe Niantic truly selects certain pokemon to spawn frequently depending the city and it's climate characteristics. My city it's mostly dry and hot through most of the year so... Sandshrews and Growlithes feel like home in here and pop out like crazy lmao. Maybe it's just pure coincidence but it's still a nice touch

Maybe Niantic truly selects certain pokemon to spawn frequently depending the city and it's climate characteristics. My city it's mostly dry and hot through most of the year so... Sandshrews and Growlithes feel like home in here and pop out like crazy lmao. Maybe it's just pure coincidence but it's still a nice touch

Good chance of that. I live really close to Lake Erie, so we have a couple Squirtle Nests here, and right by the Lake changed from a Ponyta nest (weird) to a Staryu and Tentacool nest. So pretty water based.

Only ever seen one Wild Charmander ever, got super lucky with a Gengar last week and a couple Snorlax.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finally found a decent enough Eevee to evolve to Vaporeon, but of course it has Water Pulse as a secondary move. Is it useless now, or should I just spam the regular attack instead and not bother with charging? Its stats are 15att,14def, 10stam.

Firemind

Finally found a decent enough Eevee to evolve to Vaporeon, but of course it has Water Pulse as a secondary move. Is it useless now, or should I just spam the regular attack instead and not bother with charging? Its stats are 15att,14def, 10stam.
It's a great defender.

Though those stats aren't anything special.

Growlie19

Went on an item re-stocking walk to a local park, and while there was nothing special in terms of wild Pokémon, my egg hatches were pretty good. I had a Charmander hatch from a 2K, which gave me just enough candies for a Charmeleon. Then my four 5Ks gave me two Psyduck, a Tentacool, and a Bellsprout. Those hatches got me my first Golduck and Tentacruel, along with being 3 candies away from Victreebel! My Pokédex now sits at 95 seen and caught!

AdanVC

Good chance of that. I live really close to Lake Erie, so we have a couple Squirtle Nests here, and right by the Lake changed from a Ponyta nest (weird) to a Staryu and Tentacool nest. So pretty water based.

Only ever seen one Wild Charmander ever, got super lucky with a Gengar last week and a couple Snorlax.

It's such a nice touch finding Pokemon on certain locations according to it's type. The other day I catched a Charmeleon exactly in a gas station! So dangerous lol.

Gengar and Snorlax are one of my fave pokemon and I still don't have none of the two :( Currently hatching a 10km egg so hoping for a Snorlax to pop out from there :)

Oh yeah just googled this, apparently water pulse makes it good as a defender because the AI constantly spams it. I'll try to plant it at a gym sometime.

I have a Vaporeon like that too! Water Gun, Water Pulse and my appraisal guy says that he can battle with the best of them which is the best response.

I guess I should power this one up? He's at CP 711 right now and Eevee Candies are common. Got like 78k star dust from saving it all, heh.

jotun?

Your standards are too high if 87% isn't good enough for you.

Yeah, it's hard to maintain perspective on the stats.

Especially for strong pokemon, the IVs are only a small fraction of their total stats. A Vaporeon with 50% IV is still like 96% as good in total as one with 100% IV

I have a Vaporeon like that too! Water Gun, Water Pulse and my appraisal guy says that he can battle with the best of them which is the best response.

I guess I should power this one up? He's at CP 711 right now and Eevee Candies are common. Got like 78k star dust from saving it all, heh.

You're better off waiting to catch or hatch a 600+ Eevee with decent IVs and hope it gets Hydro Pump before dumping stardust into it. I have an 88% Vaporeon w/ Hydro Pump and it wrecks everything. He was about 670 CP as an Eeevee and after evolving and a few power ups is now at 2160.

Another golden rule it to not spend any stardust until you hit trainer level 20, as anything you invest in during the lower levels will be useless by that point and you will most likely catch a better wild variant. I would kill to get back the 30K or so I put into Pidgeot, Golduck, and other junk during the first week.

GulAtiCa

Good day so far. Went to lunch in Historic Roswell. Was able to hit up 2 at once while eating. Went walking a bit and now have nearly 700 items. Found a Dodrio, my 1st, a Pinsar, Scyther and a Grimer!

JavyOO7

I hatched a Spearow who ended up being 15/15/15. Evolved him and it has peck and aerial ace.

Not ideal according to this but I'll take it anyway. Never actually put a Fearow to fight so I'll try it tomorrow.

Firemind

Your standards are too high if 87% isn't good enough for you.
This is Eevee we're talking about. They have such a high spawn rate that it's really not difficult to get good specimen. On the other hand the opportunity cost to evolve is low. Personally, I'd only train a Vaporeon with 87% or lower perfection if it has Hydro Pump.

To everyone who says IVs give a negligible advantage: bollocks. At some point those few points will matter and you will be happy you waited and used stardust to train the higher IV species.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This is Eevee we're talking about. They have such a high spawn rate that it's really not difficult to get good specimen. On the other hand the opportunity cost to evolve is low. Personally, I'd only train a Vaporeon with 87% or lower perfection if it has Hydro Pump.

They don't have that high of a spawn rate everywhere though, especially not here. They're actually closer to rare than common here. Like now I have a Vaporeon but only 17 extra candies, and that's my total since I started playing. Whenever there's an eevee nearby I make sure to get it. For me right now that 87% was good enough. But soon I'm heading out to a park that's known to be an eevee nest, I really want to stock up on them. But closeby? There's no place where I can find a bunch of them in a short time.

tbh I even want an eevee out of a 10 km egg, so I have a higher chance of getting a high IV one.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Rainy day, could only control a gym from the bus so claimed 10 gold coins today. Then didn't walk to/from work, which means 30k less experience, 50/70 less pokemon. Was kind of down, but then this buddy was waiting for me at home.

Crn0TUzWYAAotJ3.jpg:small

Crn0VDjWIAA-5d2.jpg:small

Second time a Snorlax spawns at home. Waiting for Dragonite now.

To everyone who says IVs give a negligible advantage: bollocks. At some point those few points will matter and you will be happy you waited and used stardust to train the higher IV species.

Yeah, after raising some poke at 75% or more since i dont really care about perfection and already have a team, i guess its time to invest in a real 95-100% with best move one.
Im just lv 23 now so theres plenty of time to find such poke when pvp comes out haha.
Gotta save those dust :D

AdanVC

10km update: It was an Electabuzz :( I wanted a Snorlax but hey! Didn't have an Electabuzz before so another one for the Pokedex. 79% IV though...

cHinzo

Rainy day, could only control a gym from the bus so claimed 10 gold coins today. Then didn't walk to/from work, which means 30k less experience, 50/70 less pokemon. Was kind of down, but then this buddy was waiting for me at home.

Crn0TUzWYAAotJ3.jpg:small

Crn0VDjWIAA-5d2.jpg:small

Second time a Snorlax spawns at home. Waiting for Dragonite now.
U have a Pokestop at home... Wtf.

PSFan

Was out Pokemon hunting with my niece, and as we approached a Pokestop, I looked down at my nearby list and saw a shadow I had never seen before. My niece sees it and goes "THAT'S A MAGMAR!!"

We drove around the area and eventually found him:

Is Ember and Fire Blast good moves for him?

HardRojo

Was out Pokemon hunting with my niece, and as we approached a Pokestop, I looked down at my nearby list and saw a shadow I had never seen before. My niece sees it and goes "THAT'S A MAGMAR!!"

We drove around the area and eventually found him:

Is Ember and Fire Blast good moves for him?
I think that's its best moveset. I caught a 1400 CP 96% Magmar yesterday but it has Karate Chop and Fire Blast.

There's certainly a difference between 0% and 100% IV, but 100% is not a major improvement over 87% at all.

I simply evolve when they are at least 80%. The stats are no longer lopsided at that point.

Firemind

I've had a lot of times when I tried leveling up a gym where I either lived just barely to finish it off or died unable to finish the last point(s) of hp.

The latter is the ultimate feelbad moment.

Awayze

Neo Member
I'd like to see a map of which cities have the most active players, seems to be dying out here in UK, maybe except London.
My local gym seems to alternate about three times a week between the same few Valor and Instinct players nowadays.
The variety of Pokemon is sooo trash.

Well yeah, I wouldn't have trained that Eevee either, but that has nothing to do with its IV and everything to do with the moveset. It could have been 100% with that moveset and I wouldn't power it up. I had a 100% Dragonite that I left at 17.5 (used one powerup to confirm it was 100%) forever since I had no want for a defensive Dragonite until last week.

But you said those stats are nothing special, and that's just false.

I've had a lot of times when I tried leveling up a gym where I either lived just barely to finish it off or died unable to finish the last point(s) of hp.

It's much more likely you were better or worse at dodging during the battles than a few extra stats being the difference between dying and living. If/when they properly balance the game and we see what the meta game is like, maybe people can make the argument that 98% is noticeably better than 76%, but I doubt it will ever come to that without significant changes to the core game and it's algorithms.

As for if it makes a big difference now? I absolutely dont believe it does. It's more about aesthetics than it legitimately being the difference between winning and losing.

Biske

Yeah... I know that feel, would be nice if you could get at least a bit of prestige then when its so close. Specially as a lot of the time its just weird gym/battle lag that screws you, or it just wasn't counting any of your hits.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
11 days and my Aerodactyl has returned to me. I stashed it in a tiny town in Colorado's eastern plains.

Originally stashed 3. One lasted 5 days. This one lasted 11.

My brave Rapidash survives.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Wonder when can i reach 25 and 100 register to Dex haha :D
Such a long way, but i should be enjoying it slowly :D

youll get there my main problem started once i hit 120 in my dex started to get new pokemon drought and you go days without getting anything new
and it looks like my main problem will be chansey she is my only real cock block all the rest that i need i can use that buddy system and grind the rest of the candy needed out for them

One downside of having like eight pokemon in level 10 gyms is that when one is sent back to you after a few days, but the gym wasn't taken down, I have no idea where to go to put it back. I'm going to start renaming them after I place them.

Seen my first ever Dragonair today a couple hours after a rare Dratini for my city showed up.

12 Dratini Candies...

...Dragonite's gonna take a while =/

youll get there my main problem started once i hit 120 in my dex started to get new pokemon drought and you go days without getting anything new
and it looks like my main problem will be chansey she is my only real cock block all the rest that i need i can use that buddy system and grind the rest of the candy needed out for them

haha ive never seen a Chansey before :D.
My dex just reached 92 and i already considered its a very good achievement haha
Gotta speed up a little more before Gen 2 arrives or else i'll be thrown into oblivion of despair lol

Top Bottom