• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Caterpie is not very common so it would take a while to get a Butterfree via evolution. The super common ones that pop up every few minutes are Pidgey, Weedle and Rattata.

Both Wartortle and Butterfree have shitty IVs according to my appraisal guy though ("room for improvement as far as battling goes"). Damn.

Caterpie is not very common so it would take a while to get a Butterfree via evolution. The super common ones that pop up every few minutes are Pidgey, Weedle and Rattata.

Both Wartortle and Butterfree have shitty IVs according to my appraisal guy though ("room for improvement as far as battling goes"). Damn.
Apparently the IVs of wild Pokemon are partially dependent on their placement on the pokedex. Earlier listed mons (like the starters and the worms) almost always have poor IVs while later listed Pokemon (like Eevee and Dratini line) almost always have much higher IVs. The only way to really get a decent IV starter is with an egg. Hopefully this is fixed soon.

Double D

So with the appraisal system, will it tell you if you get a 'perfect/100%' pokemon? I would assume that if you get the best first message, then tells you all 3 stats are great, then the best second message that means it is perfect?

GulAtiCa

So with the appraisal system, will it tell you if you get a 'perfect/100%' pokemon? I would assume that if you get the best first message, then tells you all 3 stats are great, then the best second message that means it is perfect?

Yeah. It will tell you that 1 of your stats is the best, then matched by X and matched by Y. Then the message after it, if it's the "15" message, you got a perfect Pokemon

Surprised at Wigglytuff's Dazzling Gleam: My 1208CP one beat a 2.3k dragonite without sweating.
Sitting on top of 510k stardust, waiting until reaching L35 or so to start spending it. Once you understand your pokemon won't stand a chance at a gym no matter how much you try, you start appreciating Pincers and Raticates to take them down without spending revives.

Defending pokemon don't stand a chance, which is why high CP defenders are actually more important than high CP attackers: so you can find an established high level gym in a low foot traffic area, add your pokemon and not be near the bottom. Since I've started taking gyms seriously, I've only gone below 8 by the time my cooldown was up once.

IVs and movesets are nice and all, but when it comes down to it, the most valuable defensive attributes are gym level, CP and the right defensive typing for your area to discourage attackers in the first place.

and moveset

fury cutter is hilariously bad

poor scyther

Defensively, moveset doesn't matter as much as people like to think (usually to rationalize how their prized high IV or rare pokemon with a bad moveset is still good). Once someone has decided to attack, it's over for you if you're at the bottom and they are remotely competent. The two most important things are discouraging people from attacking to begin with and not being at the bottom of your gym when they do.

Ha! I forgot Butterfree exists, I've evolved like 50+ Caterpie's into Metapods but then I delete them all after the lucky egg runs out.

Firemind

move set absolutely matters when you're at the top as not everyone is lvl. 25 and above. i've seen people who are 20 and lower take over gyms that had 2000+ cp dragonites. they don't have infinite resources, they just do it just because.

when you have good moves you can make them waste revives and potions since usually the bottom few will get beaten by his or her six and the top few will sweep his or her remaining ones, resulting in less prestige loss. the less prestige loss the more your top can stay and batter them. even when only the top three remain, when you have a good move set it will make it tougher for them to reach the final boss and beat it without losses. they can run out of revives or potions at some point. it happens.

move set absolutely matters when you're at the top as not everyone is lvl. 25 and above. i've seen people who are 20 and lower take over gyms that had 2000+ cp dragonites. they don't have infinite resources, they just do it just because.

when you have good moves you can make them waste revives and potions since usually the bottom few will get beaten by his or her six and the top few will sweep his or her remaining ones, resulting in less prestige loss. the less prestige loss the more your top can stay and batter them. even when only the top three remain, when you have a good move set it will make it tougher for them to reach the final boss and beat it without losses. they can run out of revives or potions at some point. it happens.

Well if you're going that deep then everything "matters". Congratulations, Moveset, you matter more than IVs (arguably not even though, since IVs contribute to CP, which is more important). Still makes it the second (or absolute) least important thing to think about when deciding where and how to defend.

It was... he un-faved it and transferred. Vape is not really all that hard to get (it was my 2nd one) and I caught my 1st Dratini this morning to make up for it but it still stings.

Almost as bad as when he got into my Destiny character and started deleting legendary weapons... at least you get some good powerups for trashing rates in that game not one evee candy lol.

Yikes, some things just weren't meant to be. Or your kid is a dick.

Flo_Evans

Bruh, favorite ur best mons so ur kid can't transfer them away. ��

It was... he un-faved it and transferred. Vape is not really all that hard to get (it was my 2nd one) and I caught my 1st Dratini this morning to make up for it but it still stings.

Almost as bad as when he got into my Destiny character and started deleting legendary weapons... at least you get some good powerups for trashing rares in that game not one evee candy lol.

Yikes, some things just weren't meant to be. Or your kid is a dick.

He is only 5 :p If you are going to let your kids play with your games you have to accept some losses.

Oersted

Getting a Jinx out of a 10km egg is quite disappointing when you catched 3 wild ones in the 20 minutes before

But I got a Charmander out of a 2km egg, so its okay

Double D

He is only 5 :p If you are going to let your kids play with your games you have to accept some losses.

I feel you, man. My daughter went nuts on mine one day and used an incense, a lucky egg, and was evolving all kinds of stuff. Ultimately it worked out since I was hoarding lucky eggs so not such a big deal.

That reminds me though, my 8 yr old son uses my wife's phone when we're out because his wifi only mini doesn't cut it as far as the gps goes. Is there a cheapo android device that has gps and can run this game decently? Data isn't an issue as he can hotspot off of my phone. It would really just be benefiting my wife as this means she could have her phone back, lol.

Pachimari

What can I possibly do to find new Pokemon......

I have 99 different ones. And I might have about 7 stage 1 mon left, the rest are evolutions.

And I live in the capital!

AdanVC

Bruh, favorite ur best mons so ur kid can't transfer them away. 😱

Top notch tip right here. Didn't know this! The other day I throw an Eevee by accident whan I wanted to use the appraisal button! Yes even with the warning message! My mind was not calibrating at that moment lmao

Oersted

Your Pokemon won't reach far in battle.

Its attack stat is the best part about it.

The stats are so high, they can't be calculated.

Very helpful

My 10 km egg gave me a Dratini. ;_; Oh well, more candies for my first Dragonite I guess. Almost got enough.

I'd love to have that. Dratini and Dragonair are super rare here. Sucks that two of the highest CP's (Arcanine and Dragonite) are pretty rare in my area =/

cHinzo

Damn, u got a pretty smart kid over there. :"D Or he will become the ultimate troll later in his life.

I'd love to have that. Dratini and Dragonair are super rare here. Sucks that two of the highest CP's (Arcanine and Dragonite) are pretty rare in my area =/

Same here man. I'm able to catch some Dratinis occasionally using Pokemonnearby. :D Gonna cry if I'm getting a steel wing Dragonite. Really want an attacker for once, since all my Pokemons are defensive. >_>

Eklipsis

No iv calculator has been able to come up with an iv for this Charmander cp 25 hp 11 and 200 stardust ...anyone have a clue why?

Pachimari

I must have driven 5km as a passenger and not a single Pokemon turned up. Only when the GPS had put me somewhere entirely else, and I couldn't press on the Pokemon that appeared... Whyyyyyyy.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think he means an extra reward for staying in the gym a long time?

At least I hope that is what he means and not that he didn't collect for the last 10 days.

That I don't know. I haven't seen any achievements or bonuses from it. Same 10coins/500 stardust per Pokemon. The one I have left will be two weeks on Thursday. I figured if there was an achievement it would have been at one week.

No iv calculator has been able to come up with an iv for this Charmander cp 25 hp 11 and 200 stardust ...anyone have a clue why?

They aren't 100% perfect. Was it from an egg?

Also it takes some levels to narrow down the range of IVs it could be at. You want to level it up a bit if that's the case.

Finally got myself a Cellphone that's compatible and started playing! Today went into a long walk and catch a few of them. The first was an Arcanine, but that's about it in rareness lol

I'm lvl 5 at the moment, any advice to a begginner ?

cHinzo

hW77QLP.jpg

Woot, this time I just went out late at night to catch him. Last time I saw him was more than 2 weeks ago, not gonna miss him this time!

You shoud redo it to see if you have left any number wrong or unchecked etc
I get that a lot and just redo to get the result again.

Flo_Evans

Man team mystic has my hood on lockdown. 3 gyms are visible from my house have been lv10 for at least a week. I could go knock them down but I only have like 4 revives. I threw out so many damn revives levying up, now I am throwing out balls to get more revives.

My phone is killing this game for me. Spent nearly two hours and 70 items to win two battles that should have taken me two minutes. Then it crashed on me so hard as I was about to cap my 10th gym that I'm STILL rebooting (it's been nearly an hour of reoptimizing apps).

bryt

Man, why does opening this game stop my music from playing. That's my number one complaint about this game.

So today I had a 10km egg hatch and it gave me an 1800 Snorlax!

Zen Headbutt and Body Slam. Thought Body Slam was terrible, but I guess it's a really good defense moveset.

Already jave a 1750 Snorlax too for offense (I'm Level 22)

Man, why does opening this game stop my music from playing. That's my number one complaint about this game.

My tablet runs fine with the game and music on the bg though. Did you check no music option?
It may stop the music when the game starts but you can replay it after.

KingBroly

Banned
Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charmander need to not be so damn hard to catch.

And Pikachu needs to be less fucking rare than Dratini. FFS

so damn annoying when a Vaporeon is at the lowest rung of a gym

Yup, along with Snorlax, Wigglytuff, and especially Chansey. I don't bother trying to build a gym against those 3.

Vaporeon is not ideal at all, but you can build off it as long as you have a decent grass type with solar beam within about 100 CP of it. I've used Exeggutor, Venasaur, Victreebell, and even Vileplume.

Replicant

Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charmander need to not be so damn hard to catch.

And Pikachu needs to be less fucking rare than Dratini. FFS

Yes to both points. Those 3 assholes are so annoyingly hard to catch. Even when they have low CPs or IVs. Ugh.

Also, need more 10k eggs and better Pokemon out of it. Stop giving me Eeve from 10k eggs, FFS!

My tablet runs fine with the game and music on the bg though. Did you check no music option?
It may stop the music when the game starts but you can replay it after.

iOS or Android? The Android version seems to have a very common problem where Pokemon Go hijacks the audio service, regardless of whether or not music/sound is enabled in the app. You can restart any music apps or whatever after Pokemon Go is open, but restarting the game will always kill any other sound. You can revoke Pokemon Go's access to the sound service on certain phones, but the only solution that works across all phones involves root access.

It's one of the most annoying things about the game, along with it taking up so much memory that switching to another app for even a few seconds causes the game to reboot, meaning my music stops again, meaning I have to wait for the stupid thing to log in before I can restart my music, and god forbid I spend too long out of the game while doing so, or the cycle starts all over again. It's truly a testament to how absorbing Pokemon Go is, because if any other app was this poor an Android citizen, I'd have kicked it off my phone a long time ago.

Good day today.

Reached level 24. Caught wild Arcanine, Blastoise and Muk. All new entries. Muk specially is very rare and so is Grimer.

Now I need some pidgeys for some mass evolving.

iOS or Android? The Android version seems to have a very common problem where Pokemon Go hijacks the audio service, regardless of whether or not music/sound is enabled in the app. You can restart any music apps or whatever after Pokemon Go is open, but restarting the game will always kill any other sound. You can revoke Pokemon Go's access to the sound service on certain phones, but the only solution that works across all phones involves root access.

It's one of the most annoying things about the game, along with it taking up so much memory that switching to another app for even a few seconds causes the game to reboot, meaning my music stops again, meaning I have to wait for the stupid thing to log in before I can restart my music, and god forbid I spend too long out of the game while doing so, or the cycle starts all over again. It's truly a testament to how absorbing Pokemon Go is, because if any other app was this poor an Android citizen, I'd have kicked it off my phone a long time ago.

My tablet is a Lenovo one with Android. I havent tried restarting the game while playing music though but i guess it'll stop the music like the first time. Fortunately for me i dont listen to music while playing the game so at least i've got that going for me which is nice :v.
Still hope they'll release a patch for it for you guys :D

Haha, yeah i can feel your frustration :D. It eats so much resources and battery but its so addictive i have no choice but to bear with it.

hirokazu

Apparently the IVs of wild Pokemon are partially dependent on their placement on the pokedex. Earlier listed mons (like the starters and the worms) almost always have poor IVs while later listed Pokemon (like Eevee and Dratini line) almost always have much higher IVs. The only way to really get a decent IV starter is with an egg. Hopefully this is fixed soon.
I have no confidence that they'll fix it anytime soon. The problem was discovered and posted on Reddit almost two months ago. We've had numerous server patches since then and it's still there.

Dishwalla

Banned
Freaking Charizard appeared right behind my apartment building, threw one Ultra Ball at it and it ran. :( Tipped off my roommate and he caught it at least, but damn it would have been so cool to catch him.

hirokazu

Your Pokemon won't reach far in battle.

Its attack stat is the best part about it.

The stats are so high, they can't be calculated.

Very helpful
I'm guessing it's one of the later dex number Pokémon. Defense and Stamina stats combined are 7 or less. I'd just trash it unless it's high level.

Good day today....

Couple Omanyte
Magneton
Tentacruel
1163 Gengar
Lots of Magikarp, Staryu, Psyduck, trash mons
Few Dratini
DRAGONITE! (Only 858 CP but it was outside the Hockey Hall of Fame so that was fun, tons of people were looking for it heh)

Growlie19

Finally got my first failed new capture. A 1064 CP Wigglytuff got away. :(

On the plus side, I found the last Bellsprout needed for a Victreebel! 1400ish CP with Acid and Sludge Bomb. My Pokédex is now at 97 seen and 96 caught.

Top Bottom