• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

GulAtiCa

Scizor is the better choice, presuming that you have enough candies to get it powered up. A Scizor with two Bug attacks will shred through Exeggutors.

Are Exeggutors even used that much anymore? I rarely see them in gyms much anymore. Same with Arcanines. They don't seem as much as a threat anymore.

border

Finally got a King's Rock.. So would you guys recommend Politoed or Slowking? I can't decide :-/ Maybe just wait to see if one of them should randomly spawn before I get another King's rock? Would suck to evolve one and then catch that same one a few days after, and then have no King's rock for the other..

They seem roughly equal to me. Both would be good if you got Blizzard, both would be kinda junk if you got any other Charge Move. If you get Blizzard then they are semi-viable Dragonite killers when powered up.

I would have a hard time being excited about either one, to be honest. The CP bump you get from evolving is not that significant, and it will take a ton of Dust/Candy to make them really viable attackers. Whichever one you have more candy for is probably the better choice. Or whichever one is more common in your area.

Hycran

Banned
Are Exeggutors even used that much anymore? I rarely see them in gyms much anymore. Same with Arcanines. They don't seem as much as a threat anymore.

That's because they aren't. Even if you see one, Arcanine with Bite/Fire move absolutely massacres it.

At the end of the day, none of the stone evolutions are currently competitive in the meta. Maybe one or two will get the rhydon treatment and get juiced at a later date, so make sure you evolve a top tier guy who you can juice up in a pinch. Otherwise don't sweat it.

border

Exeggutors aren't as common as they used to be, which is kinda strange to me. I think it's because it's just harder and more costly to get their CP up to competitive levels......many towers now start at 2300-2400 and only go up. Easier to just find a 700CP Evee and hope it evolves into a 2300-2400 Vaporeon. It's still nice to have a high CP double bug attacker for those times when you do run into an Egg.

At the end of the day, none of the stone evolutions are currently competitive in the meta. Maybe one or two will get the rhydon treatment and get juiced at a later date, so make sure you evolve a top tier guy who you can juice up in a pinch. Otherwise don't sweat it.

Yeah, I have no idea why Niantic tried to gate these new evolutions when none of them are really all that useful. Since they require a special item you'd think you're going to get something special when you use it. But instead the evolution items are just a really transparent attempt to gate your progress, and the end result is usually another 1200-1600CP Pokemon that isn't worth powering up.

Skarnet

Banned
They seem roughly equal to me. Both would be good if you got Blizzard, both would be kinda junk if you got any other Charge Move. If you get Blizzard then they are semi-viable Dragonite killers when powered up.

I would have a hard time being excited about either one, to be honest. The CP bump you get from evolving is not that significant, and it will take a ton of Dust/Candy to make them really viable attackers. Whichever one you have more candy for is probably the better choice. Or whichever one is more common in your area.

Thanks for the answers.. I will go with Politoed then.. Have most candy and highest IV.. Hope for Blizzard!

Edit: here it is: Got Hydro pump..
screenshot_20170314-1bsysw.png

Oxx

Pinaps are doing good work.

I'm running-into a few wild gen 2 starters, but the IVs are usually terrible.

I'll end-up with a decent amount of candy due to the berries, but I need starter eggs to actually get one over 80%.

Welp, caught my first wild Tyranitar last night.

It spawned in someone's neighborhood and the person who posted gave the exact address. There was a 3 car lineup outside this random person's house all catching the Tyranitar.

As for the specimen himself, 1197Cp, around 50% IVs, Bite & Fire Blast. Not good for much beyond a dex entry and a candy boost. Maybe I'll use it to prestige against some Eggs with psychic moves.

I've caught a Larvitar on this street before, so they don't have split biomes like the Dratini family. Kind of crazy to think that Dragonite and Tyranitar might share the same biome. This is only the 7th confirmed Tyranitar in the area though, we get about 5 Dragonites a day.

I've caught a Larvitar on this street before, so they don't have split biomes like the Dratini family. Kind of crazy to think that Dragonite and Tyranitar might share the same biome. This is only the 7th confirmed Tyranitar in the area though, we get about 5 Dragonites a day.

As someone who has seen two Dratini in town since launch and zero Larvitar since gen 2:

Fuck you.

:(

Grats!

Joni

So I have 113 evolvable Pokemon and only 7 open spots left. They really need to bring a double xp event or I need to manage my available Pokemon better.

SuomiDude

So I have 113 evolvable Pokemon and only 7 open spots left. They really need to bring a double xp event or I need to manage my available Pokemon better.
Just use a Lucky Egg and go for normal double exp? It's pretty easy to get tons of evolvable Pokémon in a week's time (next double exp event is most likely a week long), so you're just sitting on some free exp right now.

GulAtiCa

I have 700 Pokemon spots now, I'm good for a while. Actually, currently have 214 pidgeys on me now. All ready for mass evolution! Still have 100 more I can easily catch before I hit my limit. Hell, I'm sure I can shave off a good bit of other Pokemon too. I have like 50 Eevees ready to evolve as well.

Just use a Lucky Egg and go for normal double exp? It's pretty easy to get tons of evolvable Pokémon in a week's time (next double exp event is most likely a week long), so you're just sitting on some free exp right now.

Yup. Everytime I hit 50-60 pokemon to evolve, I lucky egg it up.

Joni

Yup. Everytime I hit 50-60 pokemon to evolve, I lucky egg it up.

You should go for 75. You are underusing it by a lot.

I have nothing to gain on the short term while I have to use any event as optimally as possible. One lucky egg on double xp could put me to the next level. If I have a supply I can maybe fit in three during that week.

You should go for 75. You are underusing it by a lot.

I have nothing to gain on the short term while I have to use any event as optimally as possible. One lucky egg on double xp could put me to the next level. If I have a supply I can maybe fit in three during that week.

Those are both good points.

I'm at 30 now so I stopped being super optimal with my eggs. Keeping Pokémon around for a double XP event seems smart though.

Honestly I do lucky egg evos during my youtube / twitch watching so I rarely hit 100% efficiency on them.

Let's hope for an amazing one year anniversary event with double everything.

Luxorek

Met him on my way home. Wasn't on the radar obviously. Ran away after fourth ultra ball+razz berry.

Oh, well... I'm 40 candy away from Tyranitar so it doesn't hurt that much. Walked 120km with my buddy Larva, hatched three of them, caught three as well. Hopefully I hatch one more soon.

UberTag

Man, after a bit of a slow spell due to the weather, I made out like a bandit in an hour on my way to work today. Hatched a Dunsparce, Scyther, Qwilfish and Girafarig. Caught an Electabuzz and Shuckle. Scooped up an Up-Grade pickup (only my 2nd evolution item). Evolved a Nidorino. And leveled up to 21.

Pokedex now stands at 133. Not too shabby seeing where I was two weeks ago when I last posted in this thread.

Pokemon Go finally sank its clutches into me a little over a week ago.

Since then I've ... boots up app... ranked up to Level 16, caught 89 pokemon... oooh, is that a wild Crobat? ... back in a sec.

<leaves desk to catch Crobat, hatches a newly discovered Sandshrew and a previously caught Phanpy on the way>

Caught 91 pokemon and gotten a ton of exercise in the process.

My only question is... why the hell didn't I start playing this sooner?

Oxx

How's everyone's stats in the game, if anyone's interested in such info. I think it's at least interesting to see the different type of Pokémon types, which can be very different in different regions. For example I rarely see dragon-types at all, but some types I have thousands of.

Here's my current stats:

Level 31

Jogger: walked 1455,5km
Kanto: 141 1st gen Pokémons
Collector: 6654 Pokémon caught total
Scientist: 1097 Pokémon evolved
Backpacker: 5826 stops spun
Breeder: 388 eggs hatched
Battle Girl: 567 gym battles won
Ace Trainer: 459 times trained my team
Youngster: 72 tiny Rattata caught
Pikachu Fan: 60 Pikachus caught
Johto: 56 2nd gen Pokémons
Fisherman: 11 big Magikarps caught

Schoolkid: 3023 normal-type
Bird Keeper: 1849 flying-type
Punk Girl: 2179 poison-type
Ruin Maniac: 243 ground-type
Bug Catcher: 1585 bug-type
Swimmer: 1059 water-type
Gardener: 670 grass-type
Psychic: 554 psychic-type
Fairy Tale Girl: 279 fairy-type
Black Belt: 75 fighting-type
Hiker: 110 rock-type
Hex Maniac: 185 ghost-type
Kindler: 148 fire-type
Rocker: 166 electric-type
Skier: 106 ice-type
Depot Agent: 38 steel-type
Dragon: 19 dragon-type
Delinquent: 25 dark-type

I won't go through my entire stats, but I'm pretty happy with:

Jogger: 2,472.3km walked/run
Collector: 12,955 pokemon caught
Backpacker: 16,998 pokestops visited

My gym battling/training stats are pretty low.

As someone who has seen two Dratini in town since launch and zero Larvitar since gen 2:

Fuck you.

:(

Grats!

LOL, if it makes you feel any better, Lapras does not exist out here. I don't think a single one has been sighted in my area at all. I had to drive an hour away and camp at a lakefront park (it was pretty, so I didn't mind much) for 4 hours to get a shot at one.

We also have very few Chansey, Porygon, and the Hitmons. They spawn maybe once or twice a week.

But otherwise, the mountain biome is pretty bad ass. Most of my area is a combination of mountain and grass biome with the occasional small pockets of river biomes. Great spawn variety and we get lots of good stuff.

Replicant

Level 34

Jogger: walked 2,340.7km
Kanto: 143 1st gen Pokémons
Collector: 17,808 Pokémon caught total
Scientist: 871 Pokémon evolved
Breeder: 739 eggs hatched
Backpacker: 29,539 stops spun
Battle Girl: 485 gym battles won
Ace Trainer: 2071 times trained my team
Pikachu Fan: 229 Pikachus caught
Fisherman: 86 big Magikarps caught
Johto: 66 2nd gen Pokémons
Youngster: 43 tiny Rattata caught

Schoolkid: 4029 normal-type
Black Belt: 542 fighting-type
Bird Keeper: 2356 flying-type
Punk Girl: 4894 poison-type
Ruin Maniac: 1178 ground-type
Hiker: 595 rock-type
Bug Catcher: 1607 bug-type
Hex Maniac: 543 ghost-type
Kindler: 740 fire-type
Swimmer: 5299 water-type
Gardener: 1850 grass-type
Rocker: 498 electric-type
Psychic: 1202 psychic-type
Fairy Tale Girl: 1068 fairy-type
Depot Agent: 86 steel-type
Skier: 51 ice-type
Dragon: 133 dragon-type
Delinquent: 80 dark-type

Just hatched another Dratini and now I FINALLY have a (shitty) Dragonite (and my first Dragonair, briefly). Now all I need from the non-exclusive gen 1 Pokémon is Muk (2 candy away) and fucking Aerodactyl. I'll get Muk like, tomorrow, but who the hell knows when I'll get an Aerodactyl. Never even seen one in the sightings.

Stats time?
Level 32

Kanto: 142 1st gen
Collector: 9,764 caught
Scientist: 1,614 evolved
Backpacker: 14,193 pokestops
Jogger: 940km walked (come ooon 1000km for gold)
Breeder: Hatched 386 eggs
Battle Girl: 180 battles won (I really don't find the gyms that fun)
Trainer: 152 times trained
Youngster: 111 tiny Rattata
Pikachu fan: 78 caught
Johto: 71
Fisherman: 28 big Magikarp

All my gold type ones...
Schoolkid: 5,087 normal
Birdkeeper: 4,103 flying-type
Punk Girl: 2,243 poison-type
Ruin Maniac: 403 ground
Bug Catcher: 844 bug type
Hex Mania: 432 ghost type
Swimmer: 2,185 water type
Gardener: 397 grass type
Rocker: 325 electric type
Psychic: 1,0002 psychic
Skier: 290 ice
Fairy Tale Girl: 372 fairy

Silver type ones...
Black Belt: 107 fighting
Hiker: 100 rock
Depot Agent: 131 steel
Kindler: 126 fire

And bronze :(
Dragon Tamer: 22 dragon
Delinquent: 43 dark (well, catching up...)

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
slowly going insane 3 7 day bonuses and about 350-400 stops and not a single upgrade item and about 20-25 eggs in a row and all gen 1 pokemon and mostly paras and goldeens

Stats time!!!

Kanto: 143
Collector: 13000 (lol, what a coincidence)
Scientist: 1213
Backpacker: 14327
Jogger: 1828.5 (thx GPS-lag at work)
Breeder: Hatched 428 eggs
Battle Girl: 565 battles won
Trainer: 434 times trained
Youngster: 201 tiny Rattata
Pikachu fan: 46 caught
Johto: 52
Fisherman: 43 big Magikarp

Also getting a Exeggcute from a 2km egg feels sooooo good.

GulAtiCa

Stats!

Level 32

Jogger: 1,281km
Kanto: 143
Collector: 7,291
Scientist: 1,024
Breeder: 824
Backpacker: 7,913
Battle Girl: 1,270
Ace Trainer: 1,074
Fisherman: 143
Pikachu Fan: 74
Johto: 59
Youngster: 34

q4roel

Level 27 (90797 / 250000)

Kanto: 125
Collector: 3,016 caught
Scientist: 484 evolved
Backpacker: 2,841 pokestops
Jogger: 428,3km walked
Breeder: Hatched 265 eggs
Battle Girl: 109 battles won
Trainer: 106 times trained
Johto: 50
Fisherman: 10 big Magikarp
Youngster: 42 tiny Rattata
Pikachu fan: 25 caught

Schoolkid: 1,722
Bird Keeper: 1,206
Punk Girl: 918
Bug Catcher: 875
Swimmer: 427
Ruin Maniac: 107
Hex Maniac: 63
Gardener: 191
Rocker: 63
Psychic: 170
Fairy Tale Girl: 72
Black Belt: 21
Hiker: 35
Depot Agent: 16
Kindler: 46
Skier: 41
Delinquent: 24
Dragon Tamer: 7

I started playing in July, but never bothered using scanners or actively hunting. I like playing this on my bike, or whenever I have spare time to kill in a city.

Shit I forgot to post my stats:

LucidMomentum
Team Instinct
Level 30
192706 / 500000 XP
Start Date: 7/10/2016

Medals:
Kanto (133)
Collector (5034)
Scientist (777)
Backpacker (5484)
Jogger (407)
Breeder (260)
Battle Girl (599)
Ace Trainer (208)
Youngster (53)
Johto (42)
Fisherman (5)
Pikachu Fan (44)

Schoolkid (2092)
Black Belt (243)
Bird Keeper (1281)
Punk Girl (1016)
Ruin Magic (665)
Hiker (320)
Bug Catcher (856)
Kindler (487)
Swimmer (465)
Gardener (805)
Psychic (316)
Rocker (125)
Fairy Tale Girl (86)
Hex Maniac (48)
Depot Agent (37)
Skier (13)
Delinquent (33)
Dragon Trainer (5)

GulAtiCa

My top 13 most caught/evolved/hatched Pokemon are:

1. Magikarp: 1024
  2. Pidgey: 994
  3. Eevee: 809
  4. Rattata: 300
  5. Weedle: 277
  6. Poliwag: 241
  7. Psyduck: 246
  8. Slowpoke
  9. Jigglypuff: 162
  10. Gastly: 157
  11. Caterpie: 157
  12. Exeggcute: 150
  13. Dratini: 136

Top 13 just so I can do a Dratini brag. lol

HiResDes

I have 700 Pokemon spots now, I'm good for a while. Actually, currently have 214 pidgeys on me now. All ready for mass evolution! Still have 100 more I can easily catch before I hit my limit. Hell, I'm sure I can shave off a good bit of other Pokemon too. I have like 50 Eevees ready to evolve as well.

I don't think I'll ever upgrade that, just need to upgrade my item bag, I'm level 30 and I still make sure my Pokemon never get above 150 lol.

HiResDes

I think Granbull is one of the most underrated attackers in the game right now, very useful against otherwise very trouble Psychic Types and Dragonite as well. Like that's pretty versatile.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
level: 32
pokedex: 195 caught 201 seen
kanto: 143
collector: 7,243
scientist: 1,155
breeder: 970
backpacker: 4,272
jogger: 702.8
battlegirl: 861
ace trainer: 105
youngster: 109
pikachu fan: 88
johto: 52
fisherman: 48

HiResDes

Pobably have the least impressive stats for someone Level 30:

Caught:
Total - 6,266
Normal - 1,946
Flying - 1,167
Poison - 2,151
Ground - 261
Bug - 977
Fire - 213
Water - 1,318
Grass - 914
Psychic - 351
Fairy - 464
Ghost - 154
Rock - 78
Electric - 95
Steel - 10
Dark - 40
Ice - 5
Dragon - 3

Pokestops - 7,254
Walked - 645KM
Pokedex - 190/207

Highest (Went with a hybrid wrestling/hip-hop naming theme):

Android here, seem to have some trouble getting into the game. The loading bar isn't moving on both my wifi (which is fine, I'm typing this out on it) or 4G.

Top Bottom