• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

MrPliskin said:
Can anyone help me out? I've been trying to breed a BAYLEEF (Chikorita?) so I can give it to a friend, but I can't get this damn thing to get busy!

I thought they wouldn't breed only if the DC Man said "they like playing with others"? It's been like 2 hours maybe, and no egg still. Maybe I need to catch another pokemon? Ditto isn't working, and I've got a small handfull of plant types that won't work either.

Chikorita, Bayleaf, and Meganium (Any) + Ditto and riding the bike for like 45 minutes should produce an egg. I have tons of Chikoritas from that way, lol. Time consuming but it does work.

MrPliskin

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
Any of them and ditto and riding the bike for like 45 minutes should produce an egg. I have tons of Chikoritas from that way, lol. Time consuming but it works.

Okay, I didn't do the Ditto that long, I'll give it a shot again, lol. My biggest concern was losing out on some moves from the Bayleef, but now that I know about EV training, it really doesn't concern me since I can start fresh and really build it the way I want later in the game.

BTW, EV training is fucking hardcore, like...I'm kind of blown away by how deep this game is. I've never once played a Pokemon game, and always perceived them as childish...fuck me I was wrong! Love it :lol

Chikorita, Bayleaf, and Meganium (Any) + Ditto and riding the bike for like 45 minutes should produce an egg. I have tons of Chikoritas from that way, lol. Time consuming but it does work.
I'm pretty sure that if you ride up from the pokemon daycare to the national park and back to the daycare you should get an egg about 70% of the time. I could easily have 30 eggs in a little over an hour this way.

Hatching is what takes a long time...even with a magmar in your party.

Wichu

MrPliskin said:
Can anyone help me out? I've been trying to breed a BAYLEEF (Chikorita?) so I can give it to a friend, but I can't get this damn thing to get busy!

I thought they wouldn't breed only if the DC Man said "they like playing with others"? It's been like 2 hours maybe, and no egg still. Maybe I need to catch another pokemon? Ditto isn't working, and I've got a small handfull of plant types that won't work either.
It sounds like you're simply waiting for them to produce an egg. If you haven't got it already, breeding works using steps taken, not time. This applies to both getting eggs and hatching them.

SolarPowered said:
I'm pretty sure that if you ride up from the pokemon daycare to the national park and back to the daycare you should get an egg about 70% of the time. I could easily have 30 eggs in a little over an hour this way.

Hatching is what takes a long time...even with a magmar in your party.

I guess, lol. Oddly whenever Im breeding Im watching Twilight so I lose track of time, but I just have the D-pad mashed down in which Im just riding up and down right beside the daycare. Though I guess its pretty fast cause now I have like 30 eevees :(

Chinner

Banned
so i started playing pokemon pearl - never got round to finishing it and i want to give it another chance.

what im wondering though is, i think bulbasaur is own. would anyone be able to hook me up/advice me on how to get a bulbasaur (or even a perfect one).

I think I may be almost done with this game... over 230 hours, 360+ in my Pokedex, 200+ Seals, too many Apricorns, all trends, all swarms, tons of Berries, on my third Blue Card from Buena. Safari Zone doesn't really interest me and I'm not really eager to farm BP.

Chinner said:
so i started playing pokemon pearl - never got round to finishing it and i want to give it another chance.

what im wondering though is, i think bulbasaur is own. would anyone be able to hook me up/advice me on how to get a bulbasaur (or even a perfect one).
Bulbasaur would fit best with a modest/timid personality. Getting one of those should be relatively easy, but if you want a "perfect" one then things can get complicated. You'd have to find someone to IV breed one for you with 20+ IV on most stats. I'd breed one for you, but I don't have a bulbasaur at the moment. You'd have to ask around, because IV breeding will go waaaay over most people's heads if they've never bred/trained pokemon for IV/EV.

I would honestly suggest that you look for(or reset the game) a modest/timid bulbasaur. That little personality quirk alone guarantees a nice boost to bulbasaur's strong points.

EDIT:
If you want a little more in depth analysis on what kinds of moves work best on bulba then you can take a look at this. It'll also show you bulbasaurs with different "personalities" that work with other move sets.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/venusaur

Chinner

Banned
thanks for the advice mang. i'm letting my friend do all the breeding stuff (and hes into getting perfect pokemon and IV breeding and all that stuff...whatever it means) so all that is important for me is actually getting one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lone_Prodigy said:
I think I may be almost done with this game... over 230 hours, 360+ in my Pokedex, 200+ Seals, too many Apricorns, all trends, all swarms, tons of Berries, on my third Blue Card from Buena. Safari Zone doesn't really interest me and I'm not really eager to farm BP.

That's just about where I burned out, although I did invest a lot of time into the Safari Zone and plan on seeing that through. I'm only two away from 400, I can't stop now!

Sagitario

What's that trend thing?

I plan to:
- Beat Red
- Try Battle Frontier
- Get the Legendary Pokemons
- Re-battle gym leaders

And I think I'll be done with the game unless there are some cool/important sidequests... Care to list any?

I don't actually care about CATCH'EM ALL, IV or competitive play.

I do nature/EV training because of OCDs and I don't want to be burnt out of PKMN because I still have Platinum to do [I only did the first gym to activate WFC] and some LeafGreen post-game stuff to complete...

Is there any chance of Nintendo ever activate again the Rotom key in Platinum or Pokéwalker routes for HH/SS?

Lone_Prodigy said:

Thats great those 230 hours could have been spent on so many other games, lol. I only have that many hours in my pokemon Diamond file. I wish there was a mass pokemon transfer utility. Im not going to spend 10+ hours recatching all of the Unown again in HG/SS, lol.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So I've started participating in Smogon's weekly wi-fi tournaments, which alternate different metagames each week (Smogon OU, VGC09, VGC10, etc). The turnout isn't that big but it's nice to have a group to play with at a regular time each week regardless.

This week was VGC 2009. For those who aren't familiar with the rules, they're basically the same as VGC 2010 (double battle, 4v4, item clause, level 50) with two key differences: no ubers (as defined by TPCI) and no autoleveling. That last part is important, as it means that you can't use moves that can only be learned at level 51+ and you can't use Pokemon that evolve past level 50. So, to be more precise, that means it's a metagame without Kyogre, Groudon, or Tyranitar. Considering that I have about half a PC box full of competitively trained ice Pokemon, I figure this is a key opportunity to spam Blizzard and abuse Snow Cloak like it's going out of style.

The following is a collection of some of the most lol-worthy PKMN matches I've had to date. I'd like to have something to show off my skill as a battler, but that is most definitely not what is on display here.

MATCH 1: vs DrCossack

The first round gets off to a facepalm start right off the bat. My opponent forgot there was a level 50 cap, and I forgot to check for it until the battle was halfway over anyway. Whoops!

MATCH 2: vs Cybertron

Your Pokemon will be at my mercy when they are frozen solid! This guy was raging a little in IRC. Can't say I blame him that much!

Couldn't upload my 3rd round video 'cause the guy was using a hacked Pokemon! It had legal stats, so I didn't really care and let it slide. This was the least luck-driven match of the day, but had Glaceon not flinched from a Rock Slide I could have grabbed the win. He still straight-up outplayed me though.

MATCH 4: vs Cybertron (Loser's Finals)

So I'm in the loser's bracket finals and it's a rematch of the guy I played earlier. At this point it's just getting silly. Observe my poor prediction skills and the sheer madness that the match devolves into.

MATCH 5: vs Tyler422 (Final Round)

And the final match of the tournament comes down to another rematch, this time the guy I lost to earlier. At this point some peeps in the IRC channel are sick of me terrorizing everyone and this guy puts a stop to it with a fierce counterpick. We didn't have to use the same teams every match. Oh well.

Much lulz were had after the tourney.

Mael

Well since it's the active Pkmn thread might as well post my progress on Diamond here...
119h and I'm finally with the 8 badges!
I just realised that the Luxray species are crap because they're so slow >.<
I can't progress at all toward Victory Road it seems and I refuse to use my only legendary now (since I might as well train it properly).
So I don't know if I'll train my pokes to finish the game or get the lake trio...

Luxray's may be slow, but if you get one with a Brave nature they can tear shit up even harder.

Now if only they had a STAB move that was more than 65 bp...

Mael

Pureauthor said:
Luxray's may be slow, but if you get one with a Brave nature they can tear shit up even harder.

Now if only they had a STAB move that was more than 65 bp...

Goes to show how little I know about pokemons....
Heck I found the last gym way harder like they kept using some strategy that wasn't so daft this time.
Usually I just use the elemental advantage to deplete their hp the quickest possible but since I sucked so much with pkmn of the ground/rock type :/

Lunchbox

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
MATCH 4: vs Cybertron (Loser's Finals)

So I'm in the loser's bracket finals and it's a rematch of the guy I played earlier. At this point it's just getting silly. Observe my poor prediction skills and the sheer madness that the match devolves into.

thats just sad. dude got frozen multiple times, missed attacks, thawed out and missed again.

you mind posting that team? might be fun to annoy people with it

Sixfortyfive

Lunchbox said:
thats just sad. dude got frozen multiple times, missed attacks, thawed out and missed again.

you mind posting that team? might be fun to annoy people with it
Abomasnow - Scarf, Blizzard, WH, EQ, HP Fire
Froslass - Sash, Blizzard, Shadow Ball, Taunt, Protect / Destiny Bond
Mamoswine - Life Orb, Blizzard, EQ, Rock Slide, Ice Shard
Glaceon - Sitrus, Blizzard, Shadow Ball, HP Fighting, Protect

Snow Warning + the 3 Snow Cloak Pokemon. A metagame in which Hippowdon is the only other auto-weather Pokemon? Yes please!

Lunchbox

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
Snow Warning + the 3 Snow Cloak Pokemon. A metagame in which Hippowdon is the only other auto-weather Pokemon? Yes please!
im guessing speed+special att evs on all (for blizzard spamming) or did you go with hp on some

Sixfortyfive

Obama: hasty, max speed, split atk/spatk
Frosslass: timid, max speed/spatk
Mamo: naughty, max atk/speed
Glaceon: modest, max hp/spatk

Enigma Stone event coming July 31.

Players of Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver will shortly have a chance to catch two Legendary Pokémon. Beginning on Saturday, July 31 and ending Friday, August 27, players will have the opportunity to receive the "Enigma Stone". This item will give players a chance to catch Latios in HeartGold, or Latias in SoulSilver.

The Enigma Stone can be acquired via the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Only players who have beaten the Elite Four, claimed the National Pokédex and have two or fewer Wonder Cards will be able to solve the Stone's riddle, however.

Solving said riddle will allow players to get their hands on a level 40 Latios or Latias. This means that they'll be able to get their hands on a Legendary Pokémon not normally available in the game they purchased. Latios is normally only available in SoulSilver, while Latias is normally only present in HeartGold. The Legendary Pokémon will also come with a special item called Soul Dew.

Lone_Prodigy said:
Enigma Stone event coming July 31.

tumblr_l6a6007VYr1qbxp56.gif

Excite Indeed!

Slermy

That reminds me that after all of the trouble I went through to find an Eon ticket, I never actually caught the Latios/Latias in Emerald. I should do that.

Sixfortyfive

So I just accidentally discovered that you can change the color for the Battle Recorder UI. Useless, but sort of neat I guess.

This week is Battle Frontier week. 539 BP and counting! Still haven't broken 100 Ws on the Tower!

Ok, as someone who's never been into Pokemon before, I'm getting a little frustrated trying to figure out the difference between the 2 versions of the game. The only info I can find online is that Heartgold has 'this pokemon' and Silver has 'this pokemon' but nobody says how else they differ. Or is there literally no other difference?

DidntKnowJack said:
Ok, as someone who's never been into Pokemon before, I'm getting a little frustrated trying to figure out the difference between the 2 versions of the game. The only info I can find online is that Heartgold has 'this pokemon' and Silver has 'this pokemon' but nobody says how else they differ. Or is there literally no other difference?

Pokemon specificity is the only difference.

upandaway

DidntKnowJack said:
There's a section about version changes on Bulbapedia, and I think also on Serebii.

Those are basically your go-to sites if you get one of the games.

Sixfortyfive said:
So I just accidentally discovered that you can change the color for the Battle Recorder UI. Useless, but sort of neat I guess.

This week is Battle Frontier week. 539 BP and counting! Still haven't broken 100 Ws on the Tower!

How do you change the color?

Milchmonster said:
Told you a week ago. No one cared :(

Can't wait for it, Latios is my last missing non-event Pokemon.

I really don't care. I have so many of them. I owned R/S/E AND had the e-reader event card you could only get in Nintendo power magazine with an e-reader. I just want a freakin Mew, Deoxys, or Manaphy....or Arceus. Give me an event for that Nintendo. And don't make me go to Toys R Us because the nearest one is over an hour away

Fjord

Sagitario said:
Well, getting BP sure is slow... I guess I wont bother anymore...

I thought so too so I set about making a speed BP tower team. Works pretty well, got 30 points in 30 minutes.

Sixfortyfive

My current "speed team" for Tower/Castle/Arcade battles 1-49 is:

Starmie: Life Orb, Surf, Psychic, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam
Garchomp: Yache Berry, Outrage, Earthquake, Aerial Ace, Swords Dance
Heracross: Flame Orb, Close Combat, Megahorn, Earthquake, Night Slash

Starmie basically handles Palmer 21 all by itself. Heracross is almost able to handle Palmer 49 by itself but still needs a little bit of backup. None of these 3 are absolutely dependent on their items, so this makes a pretty good team for the Castle and Arcade in addition to the Tower. In the Castle, I usually put an Expert Belt on Starmie and Heracross when I start buying items (residual damage = very bad in Castle), and if I fuck up on the Arcade event board and get status on my team, Starmie shrugs it off with Natural Cure, Heracross turns poison/burn into a plus with Guts, and Garchomp can't be paralyzed to begin with.

Sagitario said:
Well, getting BP sure is slow... I guess I wont bother anymore...

If you set a goal of putting together a long streak at one of the Battle Frontier facilities, you'll rack up a lot of BP without noticing. Most of my 700+ points came from playing the Castle over and over :lol .

If you're in a time crunch and need BP immediately, your best bet is to replay the first 3 rounds of the Tower.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wichu said:
No, it's available through Wi-Fi for all regions except for Japan :p

Good. It's been a while since they had another US event. So I haven't been playing the game since. Guess it's time to get back into it. Only have... 200 or so caught for my Pokedex. *sigh* :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Really? We just had the Jirachi event in June I though.

While Japan has had Mew, Celebi, and Pikachu in the same time-frame.

Nintendo spacing out the wifi events in the US (and probably not even giving us some of them, I want a US Ash Pikachu event) really kills my momentum for wifi events. It doesn't help that it took Nintendo YEARS (after D/P launched) to even bother with wifi events: up until Platinum they were still using Toys 'R Us and not using the goddamn internet function that was coded into the games. WTF NINTENDO?

My PokeWalker went through the wash today. It broken. I had over 1,000,000 steps on that thing.

My brother has one too that he never uses. Is there a way I could get his working with my cart? Would it transfer over all my stats too? What about the Pokemon that was on my PokeWalker?

xSL4INx

Blu_LED said:
My PokeWalker went through the wash today. It broken. I had over 1,000,000 steps on that thing.

My brother has one too that he never uses. Is there a way I could get his working with my cart? Would it transfer over all my stats too? What about the Pokemon that was on my PokeWalker?

Are you sure it is completely dead? My girlfriend accidentally left her personal trainer walking pedometer in her jeans when I did wash a few weeks ago and it wouldn't come back on. I just replaced the battery and it started working immediately, so a battery replacement may just be what it needs.

xSL4INx said:
Are you sure it is completely dead? My girlfriend accidentally left her personal trainer walking pedometer in her jeans when I did wash a few weeks ago and it wouldn't come back on. I just replaced the battery and it started working immediately, so a battery replacement may just be what it needs.
Tried that. No such luck.

Top Bottom