• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Mush

It must suck to be Rory right now.

"Look at me Imma badass
Roman
and my BFF doesn't even know me. Whinewhinewhine."

xSL4INx

Personally, I'm happy to see Salamence go, he was only outclassed by Rayquaza and Garchomp, and with him gone it gives Gyarados even more time to shine now. I'd also run Dragonite over Salamence any day.

Finalow

Firestorm said:
.. you wouldn't really live long enough to KO Salamence with it anyway.
why not? On shoddy a lot of players killed my mence with ice shard, my mence has focus sash, and hardly i've killed the opponent with only one move.

Wiseblade

SolarPowered said:
I'd be up for another tournament if anyone sets anything up.

Meh...I've never really cared for Salamence anyways.

I do find the decision a bit silly, but I guess smogon did it so that people wouldn't have to worry about using at least two pokemon in order to take it out(outside of ice moves I don't think anything can one hit KO without setup). Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I haven't used Suicune in a long time either, but there is no way that it outclasses Salamence.

You're right, but Salamence was only that threatening in specific cirumstances. Salamence isn't that easy to bring in properly and often ends up dying pretty quickly with stealth rock and life orb damage racking up. Probably the most destructive Mence set, DDmence needed one turn of set up. It's not too hard to sniff out the dance and use that turn to switch in something with ice shard to kill it or scare it out. if you can't do that then locking it into outrage and using one of those steel types the metagame loves so much to kill it works too. At any rate, Mence doesn't have anything near the guaranteed kill power or invincibility of Garchomp.

Mush said:
Yeah hi. It's me again, that annoying demanding dude.

Would anyone happen to have a Energy Ball TM?

Look, if you have that many requests, you're best off going to Bulbagarden or Serebii or some other dedicated Pokemon fansite with a trading board. This thread is pretty dead anyway.

Wow leveling up is awfully slow these days, I wish they had listed how much EXP each person in the elite 4 gives both the first time facing them and the time they increase. With elite 4 in original configuration, I Spent 20+ hours getting Ho-Oh, Garchomp, Salemence, and Dragonite to lvl 75!

lol, I must have been crazy to not have noticed that the item coutner goes beyond 99 finally. I have 119 Ultra Balls...

Lone_Prodigy said:
So much outrage over Salamence.
Poor Salamence.

:(
Wiseblade said:
You're right, but Salamence was only that threatening in specific cirumstances. Salamence isn't that easy to bring in properly and often ends up dying pretty quickly with stealth rock and life orb damage racking up. Probably the most destructive Mence set, DDmence needed one turn of set up. It's not too hard to sniff out the dance and use that turn to switch in something with ice shard to kill it or scare it out. if you can't do that then locking it into outrage and using one of those steel types the metagame loves so much to kill it works too. At any rate, Mence doesn't have anything near the guaranteed kill power or invincibility of Garchomp.
Yeah, it's not that dangerous of a pokemon if you've got at least two pokemon with ice moves and a stealth rock set up. I have to agree with the Garchomp comment though. I remember reading somewhere on the internet that Garchomp was so powerful that people decided to make their own counterchomps as insurance.:lol

At any rate...this decision won't kill the mood for me when we've still got flygon, dragonite, kingdra and Gyarados to tinker with. I just wish that game freak stopped making Uber dragons so that we could actually use them in competitive battling again.:lol

Is there any way to get coins besides that ridiculous game? I'd rather not play that game for hours and hours just so I can get Thunderbolt...

Thagomizer said:
Is there any way to get coins besides that ridiculous game? I'd rather not play that game for hours and hours just so I can get Thunderbolt...
Doesn't take hours. All you need to do is get to the upper levels and the coins start racking up.

Use an online solver or something.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Doesn't take hours. All you need to do is get to the upper levels and the coins start racking up.

I know, but I somehow always manage to guess wrong on the 50/50 guesses and I never quit when I'm ahead :(

EDIT: Holy crap, I didn't realize it told you the points in the row as well! makes it so much easier...

EDIT: I also hope that they nerf the choice _____ items and Stealth Rock. You know something is overpowered when you have to have a specific move to be competitive, and the former simply because stall/effect teams are kinda useless when they just get run over by everything.

AdventureRacing said:
Salamence is a really ugly pokemon who epitomises what i hate about recent pokemon design (particularly his gen not so much gen IV). Plus he stopped people from using the infinetly more awesome dragonite.

Salamence is a lazy, but competent design. Personally, I liked more Gen III designs than either Gen II or Gen IV. Dragonite always looked a bit too cute and cuddly for my tastes.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

It still takes forever even with a solver, as even then it's never a sure thing.

Not being able to buy coins directly is probably the worst change they made for this game. I've usually got a spare ~$2 million just sitting around and not being used for anything.

Sixfortyfive said:
It still takes forever even with a solver, as even then it's never a sure thing.

Not being able to buy coins directly is probably the worst change they made for this game. I've usually got a spare ~$2 million just sitting around and not being used for anything.
That's only coz you RNG-spam the Elite 4. Money was a serious problem for me when it came to EV training (since I like to pack the targets full of vitamins prior to grinding and those are like 10 grand a piece).

Thagomizer said:
Since that post, I've been using a solver, and have earned ~900 coins.

...yeah, fuck this shit.
You need to stick with it. As long as you know how to add in your head and know to look for certain patterns (eg. a row where the Points (P) plus bombs (B) adds up to five can be ignored immediately, a row with P+B of six and one bomb has at least one 2, a row with P+B of seven with one bomb has a 3 in it etc.), you eventually get faster than a solver.

Yes, you'll still lose a lot, but you'll occasionally get streaks where you're hovering on about level 5 or so. At that level, you can rack up 10,000 coins in a matter of minutes.

I agree that it'd be better for harcore pokefans to make coins purchasable directly, but I think it's a deliberate tactic to try to balance out the online and local metagame. By making sure the beams and certain other TMs are rare, you prevent certain high powered moves from becoming ubiquitous and allow them to keep their allure.

That is to say, Game Freak deliberately made it difficult (and in some cases, especially with teams that depend on things like Hidden Power, nigh-on-impossible) to play at the high level that Shoddy and other simulators allow you to. Their aim was to make this kind of high-level play rare to non-existent so as to make the boundary of possibility of what you could do with pokemon seem infinite.

Of course, they don't take into account cheaters :\

Mush

Before PureAuthor notices,
;P
does anyone have a Gible they want to offload? Doesn't need to be anything special.

Sixfortyfive

Mush said:
Before PureAuthor notices,
;P
does anyone have a Gible they want to offload? Doesn't need to be anything special.
I can probably breed something quick.

Add my code and get online with something in the meantime. 4082-7707-6833

Sixfortyfive

That's the one I added. I don't see you.

Are you sure you added my HG code that I just posted and not my Plat one from a while ago?

Mush

Ho-oh - #250 (Careful): 7 / 26 - 27 / 25 / 5 / 31 / 20 - 21

Three resets, none of this RNG bullshit. :)

To add to my Lugia which I got the other day;

Lugia - #249 (Modest): 17 - 19 / 29 - 31 / 9 - 11 / 29 - 31 / 6 - 7 / 12 - 13

STOKED

Fjord

Recently spent alot of time training some decent IV gibles with earthquake and outrage if you're still looking.

Oh speaking of BP farming I need a recommendation for a third team member. I'm making a battle tower team based off some speed records I've seen, so far it is:

Starmie - Timid - Expert Belt - Surf, Psychic, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam
Garchomp - Jolly - ? - Fire Fang, Crunch, Outrage, Earthquake

Any ideas for a third? I'm looking to maximize BP per hour so complicated teams that hit 1000 wins aren't exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe some sort of pokemon to save it if the first two fail, perhaps destiny bond or trick on something?

Balb

So I want to pick up where I left off earlier this year in terms of collecting all the Pokemon.

If anyone here has a good amount of legit Pokemon I'd be happy to trade with him/her.

I have over 400 Pokemon right now, so there's a good chance that I have what you want.

PM me or reply in this thread so we can work something out!

kyo_daikun said:
No new Wifi event?

Thought they would have thrown up the latias/os orb thing

speaking of, when can an American ever get Arceus? I don't know of any theatres that showed that pokemon movie and the DVD doesn't come out until October. I guess a Wi-Fi event couldn't be bundled in a DVD :(

I miss E-reader cards. Thats how I got my latios in Ruby

perfectchaos007 said:
speaking of, when can an American ever get Arceus? I don't know of any theatres that showed that pokemon movie and the DVD doesn't come out until October. I guess a Wi-Fi event couldn't be bundled in a DVD :(

I thought we already did Arceus once? or did I imagine that, lol

perfectchaos007 said:

Toys-R-Us was giving Arceus out last fall for two weeks.

Reticent Rhino said:
Toys-R-Us was giving Arceus out last fall for two weeks.

fuuucck doesn't Nintendo know that TRU filed for bankrupcy and closed hundreds of stores years ago so theres only a few people in driving range of a TRU store? They sould at least move these big events to Gamestop.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
perfectchaos007 said:
fuuucck doesn't Nintendo know that TRU filed for bankrupcy and closed hundreds of stores years ago so theres only a few people in driving range of a TRU store? They sould at least move these big events to Gamestop.

They have been. Gamestop got the Notch-Eared Pichu an another one too, I think.

xSL4INx

The last time they distributed Jirachi (before the wi-fi event a few weeks ago) was given away through Gamestop. It happened right before HG/SS launched in the U.S.

Truly the only way to get ALL the event pokemon is to own a Japanese copy of one of the games and an American copy. So far, having own a Japanese Platinum and SS, in addition to owning an American copy of each game, I've been able to get all the event Pokemon, minus of course the shiny legendary dogs and celebi, which make me sad :( I want a shiny Raikou!

Slermy

So I finally beat the first Elite Four. I haven't ventured to the Kanto Gyms yet but have a question. Were my pokémon supposed to have gotten a champ ribbon for beating the Elite Four? Or is that only after you've beaten all 16 gym leaders and fight them again?

Sixfortyfive

If you use a full team of 6 throughout the game, you probably won't be higher than lv40 for the Elite Four unless you grind a lot.

Slermy said:
So I finally beat the first Elite Four. I haven't ventured to the Kanto Gyms yet but have a question. Were my pokémon supposed to have gotten a champ ribbon for beating the Elite Four? Or is that only after you've beaten all 16 gym leaders and fight them again?
I think you need to beat Red to get that.

Wiseblade

That's only coz you RNG-spam the Elite 4. Money was a serious problem for me when it came to EV training (since I like to pack the targets full of vitamins prior to grinding and those are like 10 grand a piece).
I never really felt the need to buy Vitamins. pokerus+ power items means that one pight gives the same amount of EVs, so I just kept my money for TMs and other random crap.

MrPliskin

Banned
Can anyone help me out? I've been trying to breed a BAYLEEF (Chikorita?) so I can give it to a friend, but I can't get this damn thing to get busy!

I thought they wouldn't breed only if the DC Man said "they like playing with others"? It's been like 2 hours maybe, and no egg still. Maybe I need to catch another pokemon? Ditto isn't working, and I've got a small handfull of plant types that won't work either.

Top Bottom