• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

billy.sea said:
Also, am surprise there is no comparison screenshots of the old vs. new.
there's one of new bark town in the OP.
But these are only the first screenshots right? It might be hard to compare until more are available.

Gravijah

shanshan310 said:
Hey check it out! I found my ol' GBA under my bed and rekindled my love for crystal. I haven't touched this in years. Apparently my old team was:
Pidgeotto, Suicune, Typhlosion, Jolteon, Rapidash, and Cubone.
Am i the only person who gave Pokemon nicknames?

2usym8g.jpg

I used to have a GBP but it was red... and pokemon was red... and when it died pokemon went with it =(

How the fuck did your battery survive. :mad:

Gravijah said:
How the fuck did your battery survive. :mad:
aren't the batteries replacable? i didn't realise this battery-dying thing was such a widespread problem. Is that why everyone's bummed out? You can't play the original anymore? Fear not GAF, for i will not take my GBA for granted!
even though it was under my bed...
Can you not buy GBAs anymore? anywhere?

Liam92

Banned
shanshan310 said:
aren't the batteries replacable? i didn't realise this battery-dying thing was such a widespread problem. Is that why everyone's bummed out? You can't play the original anymore? Fear not GAF, for i will not take my GBA for granted!
even though it was under my bed...
Can you not buy GBAs anymore? anywhere?

I believe he's referring to the battery in the game, used to store saves and such, not the one in the GBA.

shanshan310 said:
=( that sucks. i didn't know that...
does that mean you have to start over, or does it just stop working altogether?
Means you can't save your game anymore. You can do some surgery and replace the battery, but naturally you will lose whatever saved game is on there.

upandaway

shanshan310 said:
Hey check it out! I found my ol' GBA under my bed and rekindled my love for crystal. I haven't touched this in years. Apparently my old team was:
Pidgeotto, Suicune, Typhlosion, Jolteon, Rapidash, and Cubone.
Am i the only person who gave Pokemon nicknames?
Most of the time I don't give them a nickname directly. I find it nicer to let them do their thing, then give them a nickname later (always before E4 though).

It's never something really creative though. Most of the time it's a shorter version of the nickname or something (RK9 OH HO HO I'M SO HILARIOUS) or a jumbled up version of it (girafariG OH HO HO I'M SO CLEVER).

PBz0r

Banned
The battery problem was fixed for Crystal if I'm not mistaken, so it only applies to Pokémon Gold and Silver.

And screw battery replacement; once your save is gone, what's the point? My Gold cartridge died during a vacation in Norway back in 2006, after 1400 hours of playtime. I had beaten Ruby and Emerald but still I only went back to Gold. :D But yeah, a part of me died inside when that happened. For what it's worth I had transported some of my best Pokémon to my Crystal cartridge, but eventually I just went hardcore on Diamond.

upandaway

PBz0r said:
The battery problem was fixed for Crystal if I'm not mistaken, so it only applies to Pokémon Gold and Silver.

And screw battery replacement; once your save is gone, what's the point? My Gold cartridge died during a vacation in Norway back in 2006, after 1400 hours of playtime. I had beaten Ruby and Emerald but still I only went back to Gold. :D But yeah, a part of me died inside when that happened. For what it's worth I had transported some of my best Pokémon to my Crystal cartridge, but eventually I just went hardcore on Diamond.
I can't imagine how it's like losing a save having your while play time on it. My sister loved dropping my Gameboy as hard as she could, and somehow my save file will get deleted every time. I must have restarted the game up to endgame at least 100 times, I feel nothing regarding my save files.

I don't know about the battery being a 'problem', you sure about that? I just thought the battery died because it.. well, died. It's not like batteries last forever.

Nah, Crystal's got the same issue as Gold/Silver, uses a battery for the save and clock, clock drains the battery like crazy.

R/S/E use flash for the save game but the clock is on a battery which can die but doesn't take your save with it. Subsequent installments just use flash.

PBz0r

Banned
upandaway said:
I don't know about the battery being a 'problem', you sure about that?
Sure it makes sense and Game Freak was beware of it beforehand, but it's still a problem to me since it bricked my favourite game at the time. :lol

Segata Sanshiro said:
Nah, Crystal's got the same issue as Gold/Silver, uses a battery for the save and clock, clock drains the battery like crazy.

R/S/E use flash for the save game but the clock is on a battery which can die but doesn't take your save with it. Subsequent installments just use flash.
I checked and you are completely right.

I always thought they removed the day and night cycle in RSE because of the risk of internal battery failures, but now you mention it there were some time-based events in there. So I guess the reason was just widespread retardation among Game Freak's designers.

NightHawk17 said:
Did anyone's day/night system get messed up after awhile in the original G & S?
Never noticed this, no.

upandaway

NightHawk17 said:
Did anyone's day/night system get messed up after awhile in the original G & S?
Me! Me! Me!!

Sometimes it will be day in the game while it's day outside for me, which didn't make sense because all other times it was day-night flipped. It became messed up after I saved the game and turned the GBC off/on, even when I restarted the whole thing and got my dad to put the times right.
It's actually the first thing that went wrong with my copy, as far as I remember. It was like 6-7 years ago.
But with the abuse that the game got, I doubt it's fatigue. Probably something jumbled up.

zumphry

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

Don't forget the Berry Glitch, which would be fixed if you connected FireRed/LeafGreen, Emerald or any of the Gamecube games from Gen III. Don't remember if it was connected to the clock battery though, think it was just by itself.

Don't ever want to lose another save file again, not after finding my Red cart and having nothing, and losing my Gold cart. :(. One reason I'm glad they changed from Cartridges for the DS.

Oh, and anyone else get somewhat scared whenever it would turn to night in Gold/Silver? I really shouldn't have been, but after MissingNo, I was afraid. :lol

Zilch

Banned
Does it mean I'm old if I'm quite familiar with the term "battery backup" and exactly what it means? Yikes. :|

zumphry

Banned
Zilch said:
Does it mean I'm old if I'm quite familiar with the term "battery backup" and exactly what it means? Yikes. :|

Surprised people didn't know that the cartridges used batteries, with the Game Boy batteries just powering the Game Boy itself.

Also, no. Because that would mean I am old(or that I just know about electronics :lol ), and I can't live with that.

cw_sasuke said:
Famitsu Score

9/10/9/9 - 37/40

If true, it then outscored Diamond/Pearl's 9/9/8/9 - 35/40. And FireRed/LeafGreen only got 9/8/8/8 - 33/40

People love their Gold and Silver remake. Anyone know how the original scored?

FSLink

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
Famitsu Score

9/10/9/9 - 37/40

Whoo sounds amazing. Hype+10.

Just replayed Crystal version recently. Fun nostalgia trip, but WOW, the main game is horribly easy compared to the newer games. Then again, my team was Poliwhirl/Typhlosion/Crobat/HM Slave 1/HM Slave 2/HM Slave 3, which pounded mostly every gym with ease. Maybe it's because I play better now that I'm older, but still, I hope everything gets a bit of a level boost. Especially when re-fighting the Elite Four and the Kanto leaders. The Kanto gym leaders reallly should be harder. Seriously, I think my team only leveled up maybe 3 or 4 times from fighting the 1st Kanto leader (Lt. Surge) to the last (Blue). And leveling up to beat Red is kind of tedious with all the low leveled Pokes around. Gamefreak, please give us new areas like the Survival Area in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum with Level 50+ Pokes to find.

From a competitive standpoint, I hope they add some existing moves to certain Pokemon to make the metagame more interesting, but not too overpowered like Technician Bullet Punch Scizor. It'd also be cool if they somehow added new TMs, but put them in a shiny key item so you can't trade the newer TMs to older games. Or the move tutor route.

EDIT: Maybe it was easier because Poliwhirl's Hypnosis is amazing. The accuracy was higher back then.

billy.sea said:
I wish all Pokemon are balance in their final form. There are many pokemon no one will care to train because they inherently weak, while some are overpower.

Also, am surprise there is no comparison screenshots of the old vs. new.

There's one in the op.

upandaway

FSLink, Pokemon games are honestly kind of easy. You shouldn't expect any challenge or problems if you're fighting most of the trainers which are in your way. You get enough experience and everything, and now that you're older, you can switch between Pokemon for some good strategies. Crobat for example is definitely not a guy that a kid can use.

I played through FR, Emerald and Diamond recently (year or two ago) and didn't have a problem with any of them. Back when I played Red, I already had a Charizard by the time I got into the first Flash cave (I had a Charmeleon before the 1st gym), and when I played FR my Charmeleon evolved right before the 7th gym, yet I had an easier time with FR than with what I remember of the original Red. Age and knowledge makes a huge, huge difference. Knowledge especially because the young me will never use a Persian knowing it's one of the fastest Pokemon in the game that can learn Toxic.

EzLink

Banned
upandaway said:
FSLink, Pokemon games are honestly kind of easy. You shouldn't expect any challenge or problems if you're fighting most of the trainers which are in your way. You get enough experience and everything, and now that you're older, you can switch between Pokemon for some good strategies. Crobat for example is definitely not a guy that a kid can use.

I played through FR, Emerald and Diamond recently (year or two ago) and didn't have a problem with any of them. Back when I played Red, I already had a Charizard by the time I got into the first Flash cave (I had a Charmeleon before the 1st gym), and when I played FR my Charmeleon evolved right before the 7th gym, yet I had an easier time with FR than with what I remember of the original Red. Age and knowledge makes a huge, huge difference. Knowledge especially because the young me will never use a Persian knowing it's one of the fastest Pokemon in the game that can learn Toxic.

Yep, that is the badass thing about pokemon. As a kid, its a fun little cutesy RPG that requires barely any skill to complete

As an adult your realize it has some of the deepest and most technical gameplay mechanics of any RPG on the market. Realizing that is what got me even more obsessed with Pokemon now than I was when I was naught but a wee lad

FSLink

Banned
I realize they're easy, but it's just laughably easy compared to the other entries. The other gens at least have a little challenge to them somewhere (usually the Elite Four) but mostly I do think there's something wrong with only going from Lv50-Lv53/54 while going through all the Kanto gym leaders. :/ It's mostly a level thing, haha. I just don't think the last "half" of the game should be that much of a breeze. Add a few levels and it'd be fine, but still easy enough for the kids.
I think that's something that should be addressed, as well as giving a new place for people to grind.

OMG Aero

FSLink said:
I realize they're easy, but it's just laughably easy compared to the other entries. The other gens at least have a little challenge to them somewhere (usually the Elite Four) but mostly I do think there's something wrong with only going from Lv50-Lv53/54 while going through all the Kanto gym leaders. :/ It's mostly a level thing, haha. I just don't think the last "half" of the game should be that much of a breeze. Add a few levels and it'd be fine, but still easy enough for the kids.
I think that's something that should be addressed, as well as giving a new place for people to grind.
I think the problem is that because you have another 8 gym leaders after beating the first 8, the levels of the elite four can't be that high. As a comparison, the highest level of the entire elite four in GSC is level 50 whereas in DPP the first elite four member has a level 53 pokemon.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The endgame areas for the earlier games really are pretty easy. There's a reason FRLG added an Elite Four rematch that completely changed their Pokemon rosters, move sets, and levels.

FRLG Gary is a total bastard. My team for my first playthrough was anything but optimal for the main game and much grinding was required for the champion rematch.

FSLink said:
Whoo sounds amazing. Hype+10.

Just replayed Crystal version recently. Fun nostalgia trip, but WOW, the main game is horribly easy compared to the newer games. Then again, my team was Poliwhirl/Typhlosion/Crobat/HM Slave 1/HM Slave 2/HM Slave 3, which pounded mostly every gym with ease. Maybe it's because I play better now that I'm older, but still, I hope everything gets a bit of a level boost. Especially when re-fighting the Elite Four and the Kanto leaders. The Kanto gym leaders reallly should be harder. Seriously, I think my team only leveled up maybe 3 or 4 times from fighting the 1st Kanto leader (Lt. Surge) to the last (Blue). And leveling up to beat Red is kind of tedious with all the low leveled Pokes around. Gamefreak, please give us new areas like the Survival Area in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum with Level 50+ Pokes to find.

i'm sorry, but can i ask what HM slaves are??

upandaway

Aerodactyl, people. Greatest HM slave ever.

But I no longer use them anymore. I'd rather ditch Cut and Rock Smash, then put Strength, Fly, Waterfall and Surf on my main-party Pokemon. That way I can have all 6, which I always love.
I don't think Cut is needed after a while.

I'm just never booting my old Pokemon games anymore, that way as far as I know they're all still fine save wise.

My original little Bulbasaur (Venusaur) WILL LIVE FOREVER.

EzLink

Banned
upandaway said:

But I no longer use them anymore. I'd rather ditch Cut and Rock Smash, then put Strength, Fly, Waterfall and Surf on my main-party Pokemon. That way I can have all 6, which I always love.

I'm a little curious what you mean here... How are you able to go through the game without having either:

HM Slaves

or

Gimped main party pokemon because they are forced to have shitty HM moves in their movepool?

This is the one thing I hate most about Pokemon games. Wish Gamefreak would just have HM moves be usable from your PokeGear or whatever. Such a simple idea, and would make the game soooo much better

beje said:
Golduck and Skarmory also do the job

upandaway said:

At least these Pokemons can perform other roles. Bibarel and Tropius simply can't.

upandaway

EzLink said:
I'm a little curious what you mean here... How are you able to go through the game without having either:

HM Slaves

or

Gimped main party pokemon because they are forced to have shitty HM moves in their movepool?

This is the one thing I hate most about Pokemon games. Wish Gamefreak would just have HM moves be usable from your PokeGear or whatever. Such a simple idea, and would make the game soooo much better
Strength is a great physical attack for a tank or a mixed (that doesn't rely on STAB for strategies), Surf is simply a great move that I would have used regardless of it being HM or not. Fly is indeed a bit of a gimped move, but NPCs will NEVER know how to deal with it properly, so it's basically good in single player. Waterfall is something that I might use, since it's a good physical Water attack, but if I don't, it's so rarely used that I can prepare an HM slave.
I will always have an HM with Cut and Rock Smash while I still didn't decide on all 6 of my Pokemon, and that's usually enough for me to go through all the areas that require it. Whirlpool will need some preparations but I already know where it will be, so it's a temporary slave.
Defog is completely useless and Rock Climb is something I only need between 7th and 8th gyms I think.

EzLink

Banned
upandaway said:
Strength is a great physical attack for a tank or a mixed (that doesn't rely on STAB for strategies), Surf is simply a great move that I would have used regardless of it being HM or not. Fly is indeed a bit of a gimped move, but NPCs will NEVER know how to deal with it properly, so it's basically good in single player. Waterfall is something that I might use, since it's a good physical Water attack, but if I don't, it's so rarely used that I can prepare an HM slave.
I will always have an HM with Cut and Rock Smash while I still didn't decide on all 6 of my Pokemon, and that's usually enough for me to go through all the areas that require it. Whirlpool will need some preparations but I already know where it will be, so it's a temporary slave.
Defog is completely useless and Rock Climb is something I only need between 7th and 8th gyms I think.

Ah, I see what you mean.

Yeah, it is pretty easy to get through single player while incorporating certain HM moves into main party members (particularly surf), but I still hate being forced into doing it. I also hate taking up 2 party slots with HM slaves, but that's usually the route I opt for. Oh well, maybe come 5th gen GameFreak will decide to fix this persistent oversight

EzLink

Banned
So how much new information do you guys think we'll get when the game actually releases? Do you think there is a wealth of unannounced features or do you think there probably won't be any cool surprises left?

Also are the known legendaries (the birds, the dogs, dialga, palkia, giratina, groudon, kyogre, rayquaza) the only ones in the game, or just the only ones known about at the moment?

They better make Celebi attainable at some point through this game too, grr...

Also would be nice if Mewtwo was in it (wasn't that a rumor that was going around a few months ago?)

upandaway said:
Surf and Waterfall are the only HM moves that can be useful in battles. Strength? No. Not even close.

Top Bottom