• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

FSLink

Banned
I think the problem is that because you have another 8 gym leaders after beating the first 8, the levels of the elite four can't be that high. As a comparison, the highest level of the entire elite four in GSC is level 50 whereas in DPP the first elite four member has a level 53 pokemon.
Definitely.
In my ideal GS remake, the Elite Four would be Lv53 and up, Victory Road will actually be decently long (wtf it's like 2 screens long. :lol ), and Kanto would be treated as "post-game", where Lv50+ Pokemon roam with occasional Lv3 Kanto Pokemon or whatever, and the Kanto gym leaders actually pose a threat. I realize I'm not the targeted audience considering I'm the type of person who breeds for IVs sometimes, but can't I hope for some decent place to grind?
At least we're almost guaranteed Gym Leader/E4 rematches with higher levels considering the newer games, so even if the main game is really easy/not enough trainers or Pokemon to help grind, that will be there. :D
They better make Celebi attainable at some point through this game too, grr...

Also would be nice if Mewtwo was in it (wasn't that a rumor that was going around a few months ago?)
I'm guessing, Celebi will be a WiFi event, and Mewtwo will require some weird key item only gotten at events or WiFi event. I'm also guessing Latios and Latias will roam around after E4 or Blue is defeated.
The only thing I disliked about GSC was that their starters sucked competitively.
Yeah, sadly. You can find some uses for Feraligatr and Typhlosion, but man Meganium blows competively. Let's hope she gets some new moves.

upandaway

shykyoichi said:
Surf and Waterfall are the only HM moves that can be useful in battles. Strength? No. Not even close.
You ever used one of these?
040Wigglytuff.png

By the way, I don't know where to put this, but Pokemon Scramble was just announced for US/Europe as Pokemon Rumble. It's pretty great.

Well. I have pre-ordered the FUCK out of this game. Superior Silver of course. From YesAsia. But they don't mention anything about giving the Lugia figure as well :(

Oh well.. that's the last time I ever pay £40 for a DS game.. seriously.

EzLink

Banned
Damn, why the hell is this thread so slow?

Anyway, serebii posted a scan of some magazine that has artwork of the three legendary birds, so hopefully they will be in. That also gives me more hope that Mewtwo might be obtainable in game :D

zumphry

Banned
Anth0ny said:
Is it just me, or have Pokemon cards changed since I was a kid...

http://i27.tinypic.com/2ufbkih.jpg

But I gotta say, it gets me hyped for HG/SS :D

Wow, don't know if those are Japan exclusive(the text being rotated), but those would definitely make me collect the cards again(or just those ones).

EDIT: Here's a few avatars, a few of the Ho-Oh ones may look weird, sorry.
lugia2.jpg
lugia.jpg
hooh4.jpg
hooh3.jpg
hooh2.jpg
hooh.jpg
ho-ohclose.jpg

ZayneH said:
Wow, don't know if those are Japan exclusive(the text being rotated), but those would definitely make me collect the cards again(or just those ones).
From what has been shown so-far it is just Lugia and Ho-Oh. You can get a Heart Gold and Soul Silver collections for the new Trading card series (titled LEGEND). I guess all the LEGEND Pokemon in the set will look similar with the text being rotated.

As for what LEGEND cards do in play. You need both the LEGEND cards to play them (look at the art carefully; you'll notice each one is actually two cards). with that in mind I'd expect the general style to survive localisation.

Gravijah

Anth0ny said:
Is it just me, or have Pokemon cards changed since I was a kid...

FUCKINGAWESOME.JPG

But I gotta say, it gets me hyped for HG/SS :D

Those have to be two of the best cards I have ever seen. Did anyone else import the Neo cards back in the day? I had one of those giant Lugia cards. :lol

And is anyone else absolutely SICK of the legendary damn birds? (Not Lugia/Ho-Oh)

Ondore

EzLink said:
Anyway, serebii posted a scan of some magazine that has artwork of the three legendary birds, so hopefully they will be in. That also gives me more hope that Mewtwo might be obtainable in game :D

The source is an imageboard, apparently. I'll believe it when I see it.

zumphry

Banned
Starwolf_UK said:
From what has been shown so-far it is just Lugia and Ho-Oh. You can get a Heart Gold and Soul Silver collections for the new Trading card series (titled LEGEND). I guess all the LEGEND Pokemon in the set will look similar with the text being rotated.

As for what LEGEND cards do in play. You need both the LEGEND cards to play them (look at the art carefully; you'll notice each one is actually two cards). with that in mind I'd expect the general style to survive localisation.

That's a pretty cool rule that they have in place there(unless you're the other gal/gal :lol)

I was contemplating importing this game but then i thought the language barrier would interrupt my overall like for the game. In other words, I'm thinking that if i can't understand the text then my overall like for the game will be lessened. What do you guys think?

KeeperofPhazon said:
I'm desperately hoping for some leaks this weekend. Anyway, is anybody else REALLY excited to finally hear the remixed music?

I am. Very much. In fact. It's the thing I'm most excited for.

EzLink

Banned
ZayneH said:

EDIT: Here's a few avatars, a few of the Ho-Oh ones may look weird, sorry.
lugia2.jpg
lugia.jpg
hooh4.jpg
hooh3.jpg
hooh2.jpg
hooh.jpg
ho-ohclose.jpg

2nd Lugia avvy get! Shit that looks awesome. Thanks dude :D

EDIT: Also yeah, I see now that the three bird scan was from an imageboard. Easily could be fake. Really hope its true though, only because it would make it more likely that Mewtwo is in it. Course if
Red has Mewtwo in his party that wouldn't really make sense with the canon since only one exists
but whatever!

zumphry

Banned
EzLink said:
2nd Lugia avvy get! Shit that looks awesome. Thanks dude :D

No problem, I like making avatars, too bad I can't make my Scribblenauts ones look good since I don't have Photoshop or a Wacom tablet. :lol

KeeperofPhazon said:
I'm desperately hoping for some leaks this weekend. Anyway, is anybody else REALLY excited to finally hear the remixed music?

Me too. The music's pretty much the thing I care about most, though I'm sure some new features would be nice. I really want to know what they did to Kanto, since we already saw Johto expanded to be about the same size as most Pokemon games.

Also, I want to see the new gym leader sprites and stuff for some reason.

EzLink

Banned
So I figured out that the Japanese will only have had to wait about 4 months for these games since they were announced (sometime in May) and we are going to have to wait for, AT EARLIEST, 10 months... meaning we still have 6 months of waiting left (at least)... meaning our wait isn't even half over from when these were announced :(

Gravijah

Why would you do that? said:
Me too. The music's pretty much the thing I care about most, though I'm sure some new features would be nice. I really want to know what they did to Kanto, since we already saw Johto expanded to be about the same size as most Pokemon games.

Also, I want to see the new gym leader sprites and stuff for some reason.

Re-remixed Kanto music, all right! I can't wait to hear Viridian Forest (Route 2, right?) and Lavender Town!

Dabookerman said:
I hope Misty looks as sexy as ever.

<3
For me, I was mostly looking forward to:
mses0y.jpg

but she was in the trailer already, so...

Speaking of which... am I the only one who doesn't like the new Sugimori artwork as much as the older art? Not only do I feel like the older work has more personality because of the coloring style, but some of the design choices of the newer work are... odd, to me. Like the new Gold, for instance.

Edit:
Gravijah said:
Re-remixed Kanto music, all right! I can't wait to hear Viridian Forest (Route 2, right?) and Lavender Town!
I can't wait to hear the Dark Cave/Ice Cavern music, as well as some stuff from Kanto. I wonder if they'll put back in the music they left out of G/S/C from R/B/Y, like Cerulean City.

For me, I was mostly looking forward to:
mses0y.jpg

but she was in the trailer already, so...

Speaking of which... am I the only one who doesn't like the new Sugimori artwork as much as the older art? Not only do I feel like the older work has more personality because of the coloring style, but some of the design choices of the newer work are... odd, to me. Like the new Gold, for instance.

I'm sure Sugimori was told to go that direction. Everyone agrees that the early art works were the best. Probably a slightly more mainstream look.. guh

joetachi

Dabookerman said:
I'm sure Sugimori was told to go that direction. Everyone agrees that the early art works were the best. Probably a slightly more mainstream look.. guh
Not really i like his new work better.

upandaway

Dabookerman said:
I hope Misty looks as sexy as ever.

<3
gsctrainer10.gif

Aside from my avatar, that's the one sprite that stuck in my memory just because it was day and night different from the anime Misty. Then years later I could finally read her dialogue and was kinda disappointed.

It's not really that I hate it as much as I think it's too generic, industrialized in a weird way. I can say 'personality' too but I don't really trust my descriptions with one word. I think anyone can see the difference by themselves:
1204404332276.jpg

Screenshot2009-09-05at91934AM.png

KeeperofPhazon said:
I was contemplating importing this game but then i thought the language barrier would interrupt my overall like for the game. In other words, I'm thinking that if i can't understand the text then my overall like for the game will be lessened. What do you guys think?
I mentioned this before, but I played the first 3 generations without knowing English, and it didn't disrupt my fun with it. I think there's also fun to have with not knowing what your next attack is until you use it even if you know Pokemon. Just recently I played all the games except for Red to check out the English, and I found myself skipping everything halfway through because it's not where the fun of the game is.

Still, I don't want it to be my fault if you import it and don't have fun with it, so try to run an experiment or something and decide for yourself.

Those cards up there are holy shit. I'm not into card games now as I was as a kid but man, makes me wanna own some of those, just for the art. Thank god I don't have money.

upandaway said:
You ever used one of these?
040Wigglytuff.png

By the way, I don't know where to put this, but Pokemon Scramble was just announced for US/Europe as Pokemon Rumble. It's pretty great.
No. I never played underused.

Have you ever played anyone competitively? LOL. Strength? The hell. Of all the moves to defend.

upandaway

shykyoichi said:
No. I never played underused.

Have you ever played anyone competitively? LOL. Strength? The hell. Of all the moves to defend.
Dude.
upandaway said:
I was still talking in the context of single player there man. I haven't battled anyone else in 10 years.

Why would anyone ever use Strength if he didn't need to hump some rocks for the next 10 hours?

upandaway said:
Dude.

Why would anyone ever use Strength if he didn't need to hump some rocks for the next 10 hours?
Oh. You meant [it's good only for] in-game team? If so, then I'm sorry. For in-game teams, whatever float your boat, dude.

(I usually sweep the game with just 3 Pokemon and 2 or more HM slaves. Then build my competitive team.)

upandaway

shykyoichi said:
Oh. You meant [it's good only for] in-game team? If so, then I'm sorry. For in-game teams, whatever float your boat, dude.

(I usually sweep the game with just 3 Pokemon and 2 or more HM slaves. Then build my competitive team.)
That's a way too, but I like to build the whole 6 without HM slaves, then go full force at the lowest possible levels.

I also use just 1 Pokemon once in a while by the way. There's this guy on Youtube that beat the game using just an unevolved Starly.

upandaway said:
That's a way too, but I like to build the whole 6 without HM slaves, then go full force at the lowest possible levels.

I also use just 1 Pokemon once in a while by the way. There's this guy on Youtube that beat the game using just an unevolved Starly.
Well, the Starly line is the best Normal/Flying pokemon in the game.Try pidgey or spearow. :D

cvxfreak

I actually like the new artwork better... it just strikes me as more appealing. But I can see why others prefer the older look as well.

EzLink

Banned
Holy shit guys, check serebii. Apparently Pokemon Sunday hinted that the special Pikachu from the pokewalker will know Fly. What the fuck is up with that :lol

upandaway

EzLink said:
Holy shit guys, check serebii. Apparently Pokemon Sunday hinted that the special Pikachu from the pokewalker will know Fly. What the fuck is up with that :lol
Balloons.
100_025_PIKACHUsor12_C711.jpg

There have been a few Pikachus that can learn Fly (not in the games as far as I'm aware), but Pikachu can fly using balloons just like in the card (he has Fly attack there). It's exactly like the Pokemon Stadium Pikachu that had Surf, using a surfing board.

EzLink

Banned
upandaway said:
Balloons.

There have been a few Pikachus that can learn Fly (not in the games as far as I'm aware), but Pikachu can fly using balloons just like in the card (he has Fly attack there). It's exactly like the Pokemon Stadium Pikachu that had Surf, using a surfing board.

Snap, that's actually hilarious :lol

Well thanks upandaway for your sharing that obscure bit of Pokeknowledge :D

zumphry

Banned
upandaway said:
Balloons.

:lol

So, when you first use the Pokewalker, you get a free Pikachu when you link up to it? That'll make me happy. :lol

Flying Pikachu, jeeze, what will they think of next? :lol :lol

upandaway said:
Balloons.

Aren't those [baloons] also a manipulated forms of Substitute? Like Pika's surfing board for Surf?

upandaway

shykyoichi said:
Aren't those [baloons] also a manipulated forms of Substitute? Like Pika's surfing board for Surf?
The morphed-energy Substitute thing is exclusive to the manga, fortunately. It's absolutely insane.
Balloons are still balloons though, and Pikachu's Surf in Stadium used a normal surfing board. In Pokemon Snap if I recall there was a Pikachu flying using normal balloons too. And there's also Yellow's opening which had a normally-colored surfing board and balloons too.

1) Screw Gold and Silver, I want a new Pokemon TCG game on DS, with online battles and card trading!

2) HMs are the worst. Either give us more than 4 move slots, or give us items for stuff like Rock Smash, Strength, Waterfall etc. I particularly hate how the hardest area in Diamond and Pearl uses so many useless HMs. In an area where I want the optimum party to get to the end, I don't want to be lugging around a HM slave. Grrr!

OMG Aero

Has the Pokewalker actually been confirmed for regions outside of Japan yet?
I haven't seen NOA or NOE mention it at all yet.

Plasma

Banned
Android18a said:
2) HMs are the worst. Either give us more than 4 move slots, or give us items for stuff like Rock Smash, Strength, Waterfall etc. I particularly hate how the hardest area in Diamond and Pearl uses so many useless HMs. In an area where I want the optimum party to get to the end, I don't want to be lugging around a HM slave. Grrr!

I have to agree, the amount of HMs are getting ridiculous.

upandaway

Plasma said:
I have to agree, the amount of HMs are getting ridiculous.
What? It hasn't changed at all. 7, 7, 8, 8 for the 4 generations in that order if I remember right. They were always like that.
The only change is that now you need to use each a bit more after you get it, instead of just once or twice (ignoring Surf and Fly). You can still get rid of an HM a couple roads after using it, and if it's Strength, use it again in the league cave.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
upandaway said:
What? It hasn't changed at all. 7, 7, 8, 8 for the 4 generations in that order if I remember right. They were always like that.
The only change is that now you need to use each a bit more after you get it, instead of just once or twice (ignoring Surf and Fly). You can still get rid of an HM a couple roads after using it, and if it's Strength, use it again in the league cave.
RBY only had 5, and Flash and Fly weren't technically necessary.

EDIT: And annoying as the HM system is, it's not too hard to get around it in DPPt without wasting more than one team slot:

any water Poke: Surf, Waterfall
Staraptor (you should be using one of these anyway): Fly, Defog, Close Combat, Take Down
Bidoof/Bibarel (the only wasted slot): Cut, Strength, Rock Smash, Rock Climb

Bidoof is the greatest vendor trash Poke ever.

Pikachu learning Fly is pretty neat, but I'd prefer Surf. It helps him kill Ground types. Fly will help him with Grass types, but the two-turn attack time on Fly lets them switch out/boost their stats/etc.

Salaadin

I always thought they should just get rid of HMs altogether and just starting applying logic to it. Big pokemon should be naturally able to push large boulders. Trees should be able to be cut down by any pokemon with claws or burned down by a fire type.

And beaing gym leader will just unlock access to these abilties rather than the HMs themselves.

Top Bottom