• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just impulse downloaded this. Decided over Persona Q given that I fully expect the usual Atlus sales to deeply discount the digital version eventually.

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Black/White 1(which I adored though I never finished it) and skipped X/Y given some of the backlash. Seems everyone loves this so far, hoping for the best!

I totally plan on doing a Nuzlocke run(self imposed perma-death with limited capture rules) by the way.

Do you have a good tutorial? I searched for it but there's a lot of info out there, mind sharing the guide you used/steps you followed?

Honestly, the tutorials I used are pretty bad (depending on your tech/intuition level) and I just kind of pieced together information from several guides until it worked, but here they are:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-have-a-homemade-streetpass-relay.352645/#Windows7

I can also give you the basics of how to do it if you have a similar setup to mine (PC with a wired connection and an additional wireless adapter). I may be missing a few steps, since I first set this up for Bravely Default in January, but this is what I had to do last night:

The simplest way is to download Virtual Router Manager and MACycle. The router manager will set up your access point without excessive command prompts, and MACycle will cycle MAC addresses for you in order to get more StreetPasses.

Press your Windows key, type "cmd", right click cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator".

In the command prompt, enter "netsh wlan set hostednetwork=allow" (without the quotes).

Then launch Virtual Router Manager, name the network "NZ@McD1", choose whatever you want for your password, and select your network connection to share.

Next, on your 3DS, go to your connection settings and delete your existing connections so you can add NZ@McD1 as Connection 1.

Here is the point where I often fail the connection test, but I think you're fine as long as the Nintendo Zone icon on the home screen (or wherever you moved it to) starts pulsing.

Finally you run and start MACycle, put your system to sleep, and go about your day (or sleep yourself, in my case).

Enter "netsh wlan set hostednetwork=disallow" in the command prompt when you are done homepassing.

I like Psypokes IV; super simple, 0 fluff.

Seriously, every other IV calc has WAY too many fields to fill (or leave blank).

http://www.psypokes.com/dex/iv.php is the best.

Labrys

At lower levels you'll always get a range out of these calculators. To check for 31's and 0's you can use the IV Judge in the Battle Resort. For the other stats you will have to level the pokemon. You often can narrow down the range for a stat by checking every so many levels and seeing how the results evolve. For example, the calculator may say 25-28 for a stat at acertain level but say 24-26 at a later level for the same stat. From this you can deduce that the stat is either 25 or 26. If you level by battle be sure to take the gained EV's into account.

Ahh, okay, that makes more sense.

Slightly stupid question, is there a way of telling how many EVs a pokemon has to narrow it down? I want to check the parent i'm using before I breed anymore with him but he's from my White 2 story file and I didn't keep any track of EVs.

Wichu

Ahh, okay, that makes more sense.

Slightly stupid question, is there a way of telling how many EVs a pokemon has to narrow it down? I want to check the parent i'm using before I breed anymore with him but he's from my White 2 story file and I didn't keep any track of EVs.

If you have a Reset Bag, save, reset the EVs, calculate IVs, then reset the game to get the Reset Bag back.

The thing to always remember when reading Smogon is "do I play 6v6 singles?". For instance Mega Blaziken was hardly seen in VGC as it is crap for doubles while in Smogon it is some sort of broken tier god. There is also level 50 vs. level 100 to consider.

In a way it is why I like using the Pokemon Global Link (remember each season has its own results, for lesser used Pokemon the current season might have very bad or odd sets) as you can filter by formats:
http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/xy/
Of course you are getting more a consensus rather than full sets...unless it is something like Seaking in which case they always have Horn Drill and Lightning Rod (I can imagine a OHKO move being more reliable than its offensive movepool
I still want to breed one
).

There should be seperate rankings up for ORAS sometime too:
http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/oras/
I guess that is what happens when battle spot is segregated

How do you figure them with this? I'm new to determining the whole thing but I always get "possible IVs" which are like 21-26 or 26-31
At any level below level 100 all calculators will have some degree of inaccuracy. For example in-game at level 50 an IV or 30 and 31 are the same (they only become different if you invest EVs). You have to feed the calculators more information via using a more advanced one* or just settle with being in the ballpark.

*-I like the legendary Pokemon one myself (http://www.legendarypokemon.net/ivcalcxy.html)

im dreading sring Groudon
cant just toss a masterball and pray like Deoxys

Everyone can save themselves a lot of trouble in the future by breeding themselves an Adamant Technician Breloom with at least max attack IV and EV and leveling it to 100. I also like to put Leftovers on it to heal off the inevitable chip damage you take when you have to reapply sleep. It has the strongest False Swipe in the game that I'm aware of and Spore. I don't plan on using my Master Ball at all now that true roamers are a thing of the past.

Oh, and level up your Capture O-Power. Kyogre took me an average of like 3 or 4 balls to catch.

Where do I get the water pail so I can water my planted berries?

I think you get it from the hippies who live across the exit of Petalburg Woods.

Labrys

Another question, mostly for Masuda Method reasons, if you have an us copy of oras/xy and set the language to something other than English does it count as a foreign pokemon? I googled and didn't get anything conclusive.

Where do I get the water pail so I can water my planted berries?
Flower Shop south of Rustboro.

Everyone can save themselves a lot of trouble in the future by breeding themselves an Adamant Technician Breloom with at least max attack IV and EV and leveling it to 100. I also like to put Leftovers on it to heal off the inevitable chip damage you take when you have to reapply sleep. It has the strongest False Swipe in the game that I'm aware of and Spore. I don't plan on using my Master Ball at all now that true roamers are a thing of the past.

Oh, and level up your Capture O-Power. Kyogre took me an average of like 3 or 4 balls to catch.

I think you get it from the hippies who live across the exit of Petalburg Woods.

i never used those in XY how do i level them up?
just keep using them?
also a assume technician is a HA?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Another question, mostly for Masuda Method reasons, if you have an us copy of oras/xy and set the language to something other than English does it count as a foreign pokemon? I googled and didn't get anything conclusive.
Yes it does; I did it in X/Y.

Zero²

So guys, which pokemon ended with the best soundtrack? XY or ORAS?
I cant decided which, Anistar city or VS.Zinnia, is the best song of the bunch...

i never used those in XY how do i level them up?
just keep using them?
also a assume technician is a HA?

Yeah, just connect to the internet and use them a bunch on other people. The power also recharges faster every 1000 steps you get on your system's pedometer (up to 4000 and it resets at midnight). I used to have a commute that gave me 4,000 step recharge every M-F. It was great for breeding as it basically gives you infinite hatching power (it's off by one minute per cycle, but that's usually made up for by box management/IV checking). Now I just have two systems, two games, and use one to feed the other powers and reset when empty.

Technician is Breloom's HA. You want to look for Quick Feet on Shroomish.

Yes it does; I did it in X/Y.

Well, there goes my plan of "I'll read this ridiculous story when I replay in Omega Ruby".

I was never really going to do that anyway :p

Aaaaaand my Persona Q CE just arrived from UPS D:

Zero²;140420473 said:
So guys, which pokemon ended with the best soundtrack? XY or ORAS?
I cant decided which, Anistar city or VS.Zinnia, is the best song of the bunch...
ORAS no contest, even if a lot of the remixes are weaker than the original.

Mush

Time for a progress report. I haven't played as much as I would have liked to but oh well.

Current Location: Route 113

Combusken Lv. 28
Lombre Lv. 25
Electrike Lv. 25
Sableye Lv. 25

Going to add my 5th team member (Swablu/Altaria, my favourite Poke) when I get to Route 114. I'm unsure about adding a 6th as I can't decide on something plus I usually keep that slot open for my HM slave (in this case, Zigzagoon/Linoone).

Lombre is very weak atm with his limited movepool, so I'd like to know when I will be able to obtain a Water Stone and TMs like Energy Ball and Ice Beam so I can buff him up a tad (you can put it in spoiler tags if you like).
I'm not trying to whine here or anything but I swear every time I post in a Pokemon thread I feel like I'm on everyone's ignore list.

If you have Nature Power on Lombre it can use Energy Ball in the grass.
That's all I got, barely beat the 6th gym and don't have those TMs.

Edit: Water Stone from Super Secret Training (Unlock with max EV'd Pokemon). I think the one with Blastoise.

Hey guys, I typed up a few things for those that prefer to have a handy chart while playing the games. It also makes it easier to keep track of what you caught should you play in an area without access to a computer.

Pokémon ΩRαS Capture List
Pokémon ΩRαS Capture List [pdf] (Printer-friendly version)
Pokémon ΩRαS Horde Encounters [pdf] (Printer-friendly version)
Pokémon ΩRαS Mirage Spots [pdf] (Printer-friendly version)

I posted a similar thing for XY in its respective thread and didn't see any issues with it. But if this isn't allowed on GAF, I'll edit my post to remove the links.

Hey guys, I typed up a few things for those that prefer to have a handy chart while playing the games. It also makes it easier to keep track of what you caught should you play in an area without access to a computer.

Pokémon ΩRαS Capture List
Pokémon ΩRαS Capture List [pdf] (Printer-friendly version)
Pokémon ΩRαS Horde Encounters [pdf] (Printer-friendly version)
Pokémon ΩRαS Mirage Spots [pdf] (Printer-friendly version)

I posted a similar thing for XY in its respective thread and didn't see any issues with it. But if this isn't allowed on GAF, I'll edit my post to remove the links.

thx thisll be helpful after ive SRd the Legendaries to my liking
for Shiny Charm National Dex doesnt count Legendaries right?
or only non event ones?

thx thisll be helpful after ive SRd the Legendaries to my liking
for Shiny Charm National Dex doesnt count Legendaries right?
or only non event ones?

Everything but event Pokémon, I believe.

Wow, complicated stuff! Does this work in Windows 7? And what do you mean by wireless adapter, a USB wi-fi receiver? This also doesn't mess with my normal internet connection, right?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a fool when it comes to networks, lol

Win7 is fine. A USB wi-fi receiver is fine. I think just about anything that lets you connect to the internet wireless should work. Doing this won't affect your computer's internet connection, but you might not be able to connect to the internet on your 3DS while it is connected to NZ@McD1.

In other news, this post seems to have enough Blissey bases to fill up the max 15 favorites: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-super-secret-bases-thread.3522712/#post-5879696

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, the tutorials I used are pretty bad (depending on your tech/intuition level) and I just kind of pieced together information from several guides until it worked, but here they are:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-have-a-homemade-streetpass-relay.352645/#Windows7

I can also give you the basics of how to do it if you have a similar setup to mine (PC with a wired connection and an additional wireless adapter). I may be missing a few steps, since I first set this up for Bravely Default in January, but this is what I had to do last night:

The simplest way is to download Virtual Router Manager and MACycle. The router manager will set up your access point without excessive command prompts, and MACycle will cycle MAC addresses for you in order to get more StreetPasses.

Press your Windows key, type "cmd", right click cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator".

In the command prompt, enter "netsh wlan set hostednetwork=allow" (without the quotes).

Then launch Virtual Router Manager, name the network "NZ@McD1", choose whatever you want for your password, and select your network connection to share.

Next, on your 3DS, go to your connection settings and delete your existing connections so you can add NZ@McD1 as Connection 1.

Here is the point where I often fail the connection test, but I think you're fine as long as the Nintendo Zone icon on the home screen (or wherever you moved it to) starts pulsing.

Finally you run and start MACycle, put your system to sleep, and go about your day (or sleep yourself, in my case).

Enter "netsh wlan set hostednetwork=disallow" in the command prompt when you are done homepassing.
Wow, complicated stuff! Does this work in Windows 7? And what do you mean by wireless adapter, a USB wi-fi receiver? This also doesn't mess with my normal internet connection, right?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a fool when it comes to networks, lol

kAZuhira42

Neo Member
easiest way to get 50 streak at super single maison is using truant durant with entertrainment and sword dance speed boost blaziken

MicH

Just need 140 Pokemon to have a complete living dex. God it is going to be do hood. Instant Shiny Charm on all future games! Most of them are Pokemon I already have, but they are bred and trained for WiFi battles and I don't want to dump them know Bank and forget about them. I think I'll 100% complete it once I get my EU copy of OR

Hyunashi

easiest way to get 50 streak at super single maison is using truant durant with entertrainment and sword dance speed boost blaziken

A Mega Salamance is also pretty OP. It swept most teams that did not lead off with a Fairy. Get one Swords Dance up and its pretty much done.

I do wanna try Speed boost/baton pass Blaziken though as it is just as OP.

spiritfox

My Shroomish is randomly getting boosted XP. It is one I caught in game and has never been traded.

If you don't evolve a Pokemon at the level it's suppose to evolve at, you'll get boosted xp until it finally evolves. Only works with those Pokemon that evolves at levels though.

Takashi

So getting a Milotic wasn't as tedious as I expected especially since they changed the Feebas crapshoot from the originals.

I also didn't realize they streamlined the Pokeblock process. I stupidly biked to the contest hall in Fallarbor since I remembered seeing an old man by the mixer. When I couldn't get the mixer to work, I finally figured out it could all be done from the Pokeblock Kit itself. Welp.

Man, I wish I had known that Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza had base 0 friendship before I went to the trouble of buying bitter medicine and healing bits of damage every turn.

Fandangox

Man, I wish I had known that Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza had base 0 friendship before I went to the trouble of buying bitter medicine and healing bits of damage every turn.

Look at the positive side, I, and most likely many others didn't know this, so your woes have prevented the frustration.

Or in this case allowed it.

Thank.

So with DexNav, what's the best way to get it to actually show something's there? Or is it a random crapshoot?

Cause I feel more frustration searching over and over and not even getting a damn hit.

Just finished EV training my Latios, will go full Amie on him now. Can't find his sweet spot, though.

EDIT: Found it, near the head.

FFS this sounds so wrong.

Top Bottom