• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

My Scizor's named Edward.

Edward Scizorhands.

Mine's Corvette.

Little Red Corvette.

But it's not sleek! Those bulky circle-shaped claws totally throw off anything aerodynamic about Scizor's design. That's why the Mega form's claws are so great -- they're all sleek again!

That makes zero sense! Let me put it this way - I've always pictured Scizor's crabhammery things perfect for him because they're essentially a mix between punching bags and plasma rifles, depending on the attack:

HReach_-_Officer_Sangheili.png

They're aerodynamic because of the curvature - rather than run around like a dumb boxer, Scizor would fistfight in a very spring-loaded fashion, with a hint of a robotic, mantis-like movement to him. Hell, I even tried slightly depicting that in the wow such toge gif:

ibm1I2JRtFU46D.gif

It's not aerodynamic in the sense that a boxer or ninja would be - it's got the aerodynamics of a sports car. That's the whole point! The added resilience and points of articulation thanks to the metal coating mean it can reel its claw back, and then lunge using a mix of footwork and short, controlled bursts from the wings (which it uses for temperature control and slight corrections to CQC, rather than flight) to deliver rapid-fire physical attacks and promptly lock up the joints in its arm to extend the duration of the punch or make sure it doesn't reel against a hardy enemy. With an attack like Slash or Knock Off, it can perform a similar vertically-oriented lunge and clock them with a curving, downward motion rather than a beeline as would be the case with, say, Bullet Punch.

On the other hand, let me try and explain why I don't think Mega Scizor would be a sleek fighter design-wise: picture trying to hold a chainsaw with a single hand with barely any muscle in your arm or shoulder. Now, in addition to this, you have to control a hedge trimmer-like mechanism and all of the chainsaw's teeth are on the inside, requiring further precision.

Oh, and you've got to dual-wield these hedge-chainsaws, too. And you've only been doing cardio for months.

Aegislash would set up all over you with that moveset.

Yeah, giving Aegislash a free Swords Dance is a bad idea. But I don't want to run Earthquake just to deal with one Pokemon. Even if it is so overused.

Aegislash needs Sacred Sword to damage Mega Kanga, so I can still win with Sucker Punch if the opponent isn't patient.

How the HELL does a species even survive when 12.5% of them are female

You do realize that in nature a "queen" or even a single female among a pack of males (see: outdoor kitties) is pretty common, right?

It's probably closer to 50:50 if you were to account for all of the wild population, but the reason females are more uncommon in (in-game) nature is probably because there are packs of males guarding their lone female more often than not.

Neiteio

Sub-Zero, I may not agree re: Scizor, but I appreciate your passion, lol. (Sincere compliment)

Also, I can't get over how amazing that GIF is. How long did it take you to make it?

WonderPup

Does anyone have a spare Aroma Veil Spritzee or Aromatisse? Or does anyone have those Pokemon in their safari? It's the last component to the team I'm building that I'm missing. Any help would be awesome.

If you can help, please PM me. Thanks,

NEO0MJ

Man, why did an awesome pokemon like Pinsir get such a lame mega bio:

Mega Pinsir acquires wings and can fly through the air

I didn't notice that, thank you -_-

And I decided to count the mega evos by gen. I was surprised that Gen III got so many reps. If I counted Right:

12 for Gen I
5 for Gen II
10 for Gen III
3 for Gen IV

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yeah, giving Aegislash a free Swords Dance is a bad idea. But I don't want to run Earthquake just to deal with one Pokemon. Even if it is so overused.

Aegislash needs Sacred Sword to damage Mega Kanga, so I can still win with Sucker Punch if the opponent isn't patient.
You're not giving it a free Swords Dance, you're giving it 3. If a player see that you're going to SP it and never go for the EQ, he's going to set up until you switch or run out of PP. If none of your Pokes runs a Sash/can stand a +6 SS, you just got swept by 1 Pokemon. What, you have an Azumarril that will Aqua Jet it? Too bad, King's Shield and continue to get steamrolled.

Sub-Zero, I may not agree re: Scizor, but I appreciate your passion, lol. (Sincere compliment)

Also, I can't get over how amazing that GIF is. How long did it take you to make it?

Probably about two hours on and off, lol. It's not actually that difficult (and I think it's only about 125 frames) to get them pumped out so quick considering a bulk of each little "storyboard" per .gif is just the same art asset, but with minor alterations. For example, the Bullet Punch text portion is pretty much:

-Layer 1 (Bullet Punch text)
-Layer 2 (Scizor minus wings, right claw)
-Layer 3a (wings)
-Layer 3b (wings flapping)
-Layer 4 (claw)

The key is going through and alternating layers 3a and 3b beforehand to give the illusion of the quick, fluttering wings, and as a way to cheat the transparency or black-and-white issue I actually "painted" underneath the Layer 2 outline in white (so colored it in with nothing, basically) to provide an easy way for Scizor's right hook (layer 4) to reel back progressively without actually having to make a ton of individualized layers that would slowly erase off part of the claw.

The art assets didn't take long at all to make, and with the wings alternating already, it was pretty much a matter of having "Bullet Punch" last X number of frames and then moving Layer 2 up 1 pixel, right 5 pixels and moving Layer 4 up 2 pixels, right 4 pixels per frame.

Other than that, the hardest part was probably conveying what attacks were being used, honestly. I didn't want to run the risk of "generic punch" or "generic thunderbolt" as is the case with a lot of battle .gifs so I just decided on the Final Fantasy-styled text overlay. The font even changes per Pokemon!

I actually wanted to use Sparklee text for Togekiss, but it was too hard to sync up.

PK Gaming

You do realize that in nature a "queen" or even a single female among a pack of males (see: outdoor kitties) is pretty common, right?

It's probably closer to 50:50 if you were to account for all of the wild population, but the reason females are more uncommon in (in-game) nature is probably because there are packs of males guarding their lone female more often than not.
My bet is that, "rare"Pokemon have 87.5%/12.5% gender ratios to make them harder to get, but ntus to that.

I just despise them with every fiber of my being.

Neiteio

Probably about two hours on and off, lol. It's not actually that difficult (and I think it's only about 125 frames) to get them pumped out so quick considering a bulk of each little "storyboard" per .gif is just the same art asset, but with minor alterations. For example, the Bullet Punch text portion is pretty much:

-Layer 1 (Bullet Punch text)
-Layer 2 (Scizor minus wings, right claw)
-Layer 3a (wings)
-Layer 3b (wings flapping)
-Layer 4 (claw)

The key is going through and alternating layers 3a and 3b beforehand to give the illusion of the quick, fluttering wings, and as a way to cheat the transparency or black-and-white issue I actually "painted" underneath the Layer 2 outline in white (so colored it in with nothing, basically) to provide an easy way for Scizor's right hook (layer 4) to reel back progressively without actually having to make a ton of individualized layers that would slowly erase off part of the claw.

The art assets didn't take long at all to make, and with the wings alternating already, it was pretty much a matter of having "Bullet Punch" last X number of frames and then moving Layer 2 up 1 pixel, right 5 pixels and moving Layer 4 up 2 pixels, right 4 pixels per frame.

Other than that, the hardest part was probably conveying what attacks were being used, honestly. I didn't want to run the risk of "generic punch" or "generic thunderbolt" as is the case with a lot of battle .gifs so I just decided on the Final Fantasy-styled text overlay. The font even changes per Pokemon!

I actually wanted to use Sparklee text for Togekiss, but it was too hard to sync up.
Simply amazing. :D

You're not giving it a free Swords Dance, you're giving it 3. If a player see that you're going to SP it and never go for the EQ, he's going to set up until you switch or run out of PP. If none of your Pokes runs a Sash/can stand a +6 SS, you just got swept by 1 Pokemon. What, you have an Azumarril that will Aqua Jet it? Too bad, King's Shield and continue to get steamrolled.

I meant a free Swords Dance if Aegislash switches in and I have to switch out to something else because Kanga can't do anything.

I don't mind if there's one major weakness in that set. It means that I don't have to feel so bad for using it. :p

Neiteio

Mega Hawlucha should get Huge Power and gain the colour scheme of Killbane from Saints Row III.

Alternatively, he could become more Aztec God-like:
I'd prefer Hawlucha stay, well, a lucha, so I vote for the Killbane idea (and SR3 was a GREAT game)!

As for Cofagrigus, I'm not sure what he'd look like (yeah, I've seen the fan art with him coming out of the sarcophagus), but his ability should definitely stay Mummy. I'd just like to see his attack stats boosted tremendously.

(alleged event pokemon leak spoilers)

BREAKING: Some dude's allegedly leaked the base stats of Hoopa, Diancie and Volcanion thanks to the guide.

Stat order is HP / Attack / Defense / Sp. Atk / Sp. Def / Speed.

Diancie: Rock / Fairy. 50 / 75 / 175 / 75 / 175 / 50. Total: 600
Volcanion: Fire / Water. 90 / 140 / 110 / 105 / 110 / 55. Total: 610.
Hoopa: Psychic / Ghost. 70 / 70 / 90 / 155 / 90 / 125. Total: 600.

A link to his Twitter account with said leaks can be found here. Not listed in spoilers because spoiler tags don't hide links.

(alleged leak commentary)

More evidence that Diancie is somehow related to Carbink. Volcanion and Hoopa look broken as fuck.

TheBez

Can someone help me check my Shiny Value? Also I have a bunch of 4 IV and 5 IV Ralts available for people who need em. Good things appreciated back :)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm going to bet that diancie is an event evolution for carbink. She has to be.

If not it will be as dumb as luvdisc being unrelated to alomalo.

Those defence stats though. O_O

Neiteio

BREAKING: Some dude's allegedly leaked the base stats of Hoopa, Diancie and Volcanion thanks to the guide.

A link to his Twitter account with said leaks can be found here. Not listed in spoilers because spoiler tags don't hide links.

More evidence that Diancie is somehow related to Carbink. Volcanion and Hoopa look broken as fuck.
I very much doubt the guide has details on those Pokémon, given they probably won't be out by the time the guide is officially released.

155 SpAtk and 125 Speed? omg

Neiteio

I'm the No. 1 Carbink fan in the world, and I dig Diancie's design. But I seriously doubt they're related. Reason being, they're technically within the same generation, yet not next to each other in the Pokedex. The only time that related Pokémon are listed far apart in the Pokedex is when they're released in separate generations (I.E. Electabuzz and Electivire, etc).

Now I think it's possible there may end up being a lore connection, I.E. Diancie is connected to the crystal in Anistar City and it turns out that Carbink are fairy servants of Diancie. But I doubt they're connected in any evolutionary sense.

Hoopa is crazy broken. 125 Speed with 155 Special Attack?

I hope it is, but would that then allow Carbink to use Eviolite? I'm guessing it's more of a Manaphy/Phione relationship.

I'm the No. 1 Carbink fan in the world, and I dig Diancie's design. But I seriously doubt they're related. Reason being, they're technically within the same generation, yet not next to each other in the Pokedex. The only time that related Pokémon are listed far apart in the Pokedex is when they're released in separate generations (I.E. Electabuzz and Electivire, etc).

Now I think it's possible there may end up being a lore connection, I.E. Diancie is connected to the crystal in Anistar City and it turns out that Carbink are fairy servants of Diancie. But I doubt they're connected in any evolutionary sense.

I doubt it's evolutionary but I have a feeling it's some kind of plot-related relationship.

Neiteio

I doubt it's evolutionary but I have a feeling it's some kind of plot-related relationship.
Yes, this is what I'm thinking. That Carbink, if anything, will somehow be the key to Diancie, or factor into its lore (I.E. Diancie is the queen of the Carbink).

On a side note, I was thinking about what might be cool moves for Carbink to learn through a Move Tutor in a future Pokémon game, and man, Wish would be the perfect move for him.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Hmm, I guess I can see that, and it would be a cool twist on it actually. The resemblance is too close to make them unrelated though.

Yes, this is what I'm thinking. That Carbink, if anything, will somehow be the key to Diancie, or factor into its lore (I.E. Diancie is the queen of the Carbink).

On a side note, I was thinking about what might be cool moves for Carbink to learn through a Move Tutor in a future Pokémon game, and man, Wish would be the perfect move for him.

I think they deliberately left him without a recovery move because of the ridiculous defenses.

I want to see an event Regigigas with Slipstream (weather ability - tailwind) instead of Slow Start.

Beat 2nd gym. Not using exp share unless I'm SEVERELY underleveled. Learned the hard way why the game lets you trade for a Steelix! Man, that gal made Grant MUCH easier. XD Wish I went girl on ENG file because TWIN TAILS, even if it's horrid IRL.

CrimsonN0

What a strangely long fight.

My Vileplume vs the enemies Tentacruel and Tangrowth.
Neither really did damage to me and he kept switching for Tangrowth's Regenerator or Protecting with Tentacruel trying to recover with Black Sludge.
I also just sent my Crawdaunt out to die out of boredom and I can't even remember what either of our first pokemon were.

Kinda cool? My Vileplume managed to take out MegaLucario and Hitmonchan took out Garchomp.

Currently, a battle between Vileplume and Blissey. Both of us with healing items and moves.

I dunno, dusclops fills the same niche and he has pain split.

Pain Split doesn't guarantee the same levels of recovery as a traditional recovery move, though, unless you're matched againsy Blissey or something. Carbink also doesn't have access to Eviolite.

Also, I'm going to start working on a megapost complete with type charts tomorrow, but here are the two major changes:

- Rock and Ground consolidated into a single type I'm currently calling Earth. If anyone has a better idea for a name let me know. Earth is SE against Electric, Fire, and Poison. Earth is not very effective against Ice, Bug, Grass, and does not affect Flying. Earth resists Poison, Fire, Normal, and Flying. Earth is weak to Grass, Water, and Ice.

- Sound type, focusing not only on sonic attacks but musical aspects as a concept, is introduced. Sound is SE against Steel, Electric and Water-types. Sound is not very effective against Grass, Bug, Ice, and Dark. Sound resists Electric and Steel. Sound is weak to Earth and Ice. (additional matchups pending)

The key things to note here are that Ice is given an extensive buff and that Bug is given a minor defensive buff. With Rock removed, Flying loses a weakness, making Ice and Electric all the more critical as offensive types - and while Sound and Earth are strong against Electric, Ice doesn't risk running into those weaknesses. Ice would also gain a resistance to Water (while Water would still resist Ice) and possibly Dragon, vastly increasing its potential as a defensive type.

Bug, on the other hand, loses its Rock weakness and also gains a Sound resistance - amusingly enough, the type switchups mean that, even with Sound introduced, Scizor still only has a single weakness.

Steel is given a neutral alteration: it's still strong against Ice (retaining further importance with Ice's improved abilities) and gains a weakness in the form of Sound, but loses a weakness as Ground is removed and so is its super-effectiveness against Steels.

Electric and Water are also given slight defensive nerfs.

Grass has a debatable position; it gains a strength against Sound, but loses out on its all-too-common, precious 4x effectiveness against Rock / Ground types everywhere, though the same could be said for Water.

Neiteio

Just fought a really interesting Pressure Dusclops with Will-O-Wisp, Infestation, Protect and Thunder Punch. He's a hard check to Mega Kangaskhan, and his stall tactics quickly evaporate PP.

Hmmm
This Pokemon has Outstanding potential overall
I would say that its greatest potential lies in its Sp. Def stat.

This is the 1st time I've ever had Outstanding with only 1 31 IV.

And with that, I have bred two Modest 5V Poliwags. I should probably go back and make a few Adamant ones in case I want a Poliwhirl. Now to breed some Seels so I can breed Encore onto another set of Poliwags. Should have probably thought this through first.

Hmmm
This Pokemon has Outstanding potential overall
I would say that its greatest potential lies in its Sp. Def stat.

This is the 1st time I've ever had Outstanding with only 1 31 IV.

Lucky. There are probably a few ~30 IVs stuck in there. That's sure to help if you ever decide to breed for Hidden Power

And with that, I have bred two Modest 5V Poliwags. I should probably go back and make a few Adamant ones in case I want a Poliwhirl. Now to breed some Seels so I can breed Encore onto another set of Poliwags. Should have probably thought this through first.

Lucky. There are probably a few ~30 IVs stuck in there. That's sure to help if you ever decide to breed for Hidden Power

Well... I released it before checking the replies
*_*

ramyeon

I've got 2 Male Timid Ralts with 5 31 IVs in HP/SpA/Def/SpD/Spe and Trace and 2 of the same but with Synchronize, I don't need them since they're leftovers I got while trying to get a female one for Gardevoir lol. PM me if you want one.

Had a really nice battle that I looked forward to sharing as a decent showcase of Bulletproof Chesnaught - had a Mega Gengar impotently lob a Sludge Bomb and some Ditto nonsense at the end, but the guy disconnected on me when his Ditto had a sliver of health left. Having more fun with this Pokemon than I expected.

Top Bottom