• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

PK Gaming

Every Japanese team is Talonflame, Kangaskhan, Wash Rotom, Tyranitar, Klefki and Togekiss.
They're more or less solid Pokemon overall. Especially Mega Kangaskhan, that thing is dangerous...

It seems like even in the new, hackless metagame of X&Y people are using the very best Pokemon. So much for "super IV diversity!"

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
From what I've played mega kangaskhan and mega mawile are THE megas to use right now, right after mega blaziken.

FSLink

Banned
They're more or less solid Pokemon overall. Especially Mega Kangaskhan, that thing is dangerous...

It seems like even in the new, hackless metagame of X&Y people are using the very best Pokemon. So much for "super IV diversity!"

Well of course, without access to some older mons, it's just gonna be a lot of people using similar sets since they just work well in the current metagame. Rotom-Wash is heavily used because it's a good counter to a lot of the stuff out there right now.

As far as Carbink goes, can't Mold Breaker Excadrill take care of it all right?

Neiteio

From what I've played mega kangaskhan and mega mawile are THE megas to use right now, right after mega blaziken.
I use Mega Blaziken and I -love- Mega Blaziken, but Mega Kangaskhan has me thinking about switching teams.

I have a perfect Mega Mawile and he's great when he works, but a bit risky.

Neiteio

Is Gogoat incredibly resilient or something? He Bulked Up a bunch of time but I'm hitting him with super-effective special attacks, barely making a scratch...

PK Gaming

Well of course, without access to some older mons, it's just gonna be a lot of people using similar sets since they just work well in the current metagame. Rotom-Wash is heavily used because it's a good counter to a lot of the stuff out there right now.

As far as Carbink goes, can't Mold Breaker Excadrill take care of it all right?

Yeah, I was mostly poking fun at the people in serebii's thread who thought that hacking was the reason why everything was so "standard."

Neiteio

Wow, freaking Gogoat is the toughest opponent I've faced yet. o_O

I was hitting him with super-effective Flamethrowers and STAB Ice Beams -- both special attacks backed by the Sp. Attk stats of fully invested Noivern and Greninja, mind you -- and he was taking it like nothing. He was holding Leftovers, and kept using Milk Drink. At the start he used Bulk Up a few times, but that only bolsters his physical defense. His Sp. Def stat is base 81. What's going on here?

EDIT: Took out the Timid mention because it's irrelevant, only helps my Speed. Still have my full EVs in Sp. Attack, though.

Wow, freaking Gogoat is the toughest opponent I've faced yet. o_O

I was hitting him with super-effective Flamethrowers and STAB Ice Beams -- both special attacks backed by the Sp. Attk stats of fully invested Timid Noivern and Timid Greninja, mind you -- and he was taking it like nothing. He was holding Leftovers, and kept using Milk Drink. At the start he used Bulk Up a few times, but that only bolsters his physical defense. His Sp. Def stat is base 81. What's going on here?
Its 123 base HP.

Artanisix

I'm pretty sure it does. You're not gonna be able to find some of them since they aren't all available in XY but I'm pretty sure you can still search for them.

Trying to look for a Blissey which are in pokemon safari, but I can't even search for them. Blah. No one in the spreadsheet with Blissey/Chansey is adding me u_u

Yeah, Mega Blaziken is only good after it sets up. It also helps that only bad players online tend to use him. Either that, or people seriously just use 4 attacks and don't bother with Protect.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, Mega Blaziken is only good after it sets up. It also helps that only bad players online tend to use him. Either that, or people seriously just use 4 attacks and don't bother with Protect.

I love protect on him. Couldn't imagine him without it.

His HP ties with Metapod. It's pretty bad. Those defenses are all Carbink has going for it.

And the fact he can set up almost anything you need.

Neiteio

His HP ties with Metapod. It's pretty bad. Those defenses are all Carbink has going for it.
Breaking the 300s is absolutely fine. Then you consider defenses that take multiple SE attacks without the need for Sturdy, Sturdy to fall back on in the rare event of a OHKO, guaranteed opportunity to set up screens (bumping those mid-400 defenses to mid-600s), the hardest check to the most common sweeper Pokémon in the metagame, and in the vast majority of my real (as in, non-theory) rated battles, around 20 of which I've posted in here, he works like a charm as a suicide lead that usually doesn't die and serves as a fantastic pivot and shield for the entire team, allowing Greninja and other fragile Pokémon to come in on moves that would ordinarily KO them, stay in the green and take it from there.

You know, he's part of a team, lol. I'm not running him by himself or anything. Did Carbink sleep with your mother or something? Or are you an alt account for Prodigy? :p

Carbink slept with his mother, unfortunately. :-\

spiritfox

Man only Elegant Vivillions on GTS. Any other ones ask for ridiculous Pokemon in exchange.

Anyone willing to trade for High Plains?

Neiteio

You guys are mean, but this is hilarious. Carry on.
I don't have a mean bone in my body, I'm just being silly. :)

IMMA GENTLE-ASS MOTHERFUCKER

btw, Scrafty, watching your videos, stealing your team, goddamn that Prankster Sableye and Mega Kangaskhan

btw, Scrafty, watching your videos, stealing your team, goddamn that Prankster Sableye and Mega Kangaskhan

6a00d8341c68f553ef01310ff3f483970c-800wi

Would you like to name my Sableye? I haven't settled on a moniker for her yet.

Oh. A possible female Pichu, you say? Naive with 31 IVs in everything but Attack (28-29)? But no Lightning Rod? Nevermind, I'll just make another Mareep.

Neiteio

6a00d8341c68f553ef01310ff3f483970c-800wi

Would you like to name my Sableye? I haven't settled on a moniker for her yet.
LOL! Watching your Sableye vs. Gyarados standoff at the moment, THIS IS EXCITING

No names come to mind. Hey, speaking of names, I thought you named your 'khan Mega Powers? It doesn't show up that way in these videos. Just says his species name.

Yeah, I was mostly poking fun at the people in serebii's thread who thought that hacking was the reason why everything was so "standard."

People actually thought this? I suppose it's Serebii's community but still at least somebody had to be aware of what simulator gameplay looked like.

ramyeon

I think I need a break.

Literally every battle spot match I play they disconnect. It's really bugging me, the community outside GAF kinda sucks.

backlot

Breaking the 300s is absolutely fine. Then you consider defenses that take multiple SE attacks without the need for Sturdy, Sturdy to fall back on in the rare event of a OHKO, guaranteed opportunity to set up screens (bumping those mid-400 defenses to mid-600s), the hardest check to the most common sweeper Pokémon in the metagame, and in the vast majority of my real (as in, non-theory) rated battles, around 20 of which I've posted in here, he works like a charm as a suicide lead that usually doesn't die and serves as a fantastic pivot and shield for the entire team, allowing Greninja and other fragile Pokémon to come in on moves that would ordinarily KO them, stay in the green and take it from there.

You know, he's part of a team, lol. I'm not running him by himself or anything. Did Carbink sleep with your mother or something? Or are you an alt account for Prodigy? :p

Carbink slept with his mother, unfortunately. :-\

It's cool that he's been working for you so far but he's just set up bait. Reflect isn't gonna help when your opponent starts Sword Dancing. And what would you do against a Skarmory or Ferrothorn that could throw out spikes as it waits out your screens? I guess I just don't see why Carbink is worth dedicating so much of this thread to.

Neiteio

Man, I'm not kidding, I really want Scrafty's new 3v3 core, lol

I MUST RAISE IT. GIVE ME YOUR REJECT BABIES.

I wonder what Sableye would be like under Carbink protection. :O

LOL! Watching your Sableye vs. Gyarados standoff at the moment, THIS IS EXCITING

That battle was delicious. I could here his screams of rage from across the planet when he failed to KO my 55 HP Sableye with Waterfall because of a burn ;)

No names come to mind. Hey, speaking of names, I thought you named your 'khan Mega Powers? It doesn't show up that way in these videos. Just says his species name.

Names don't appear in Battle Spot battles for some dumb reason, which really ticks me off 'cause I name literally all of my teammates :/

Togekiss: Khamsin
Kangaskhan: Mega Powers
Gligar: Demona (it looks kinda like a gargoyle if you squint)
Gengar: Crona
Smeargle: Smonet
Exploud: Pumboom
Greninja: Grenoichi
Malamar: Ursula
Heliolisk: Elektra

And that's just for my competitively bred/trained 'mons!

Neiteio

It's cool that he's been working for you so far but he's just set up bait. Reflect isn't gonna help when your opponent starts Sword Dancing. And what would you do against a Skarmory or Ferrothorn that could throw out spikes as it waits out your screens? I guess I just don't see why Carbink is worth dedicating so much of this thread to.
Look, being serious now, there are checks for EVERYTHING in Pokémon. We both know that. We can go back and forth like this all day long with every Pokémon in existence. But battles aren't so fatalistically rigid in how they play out. Spikes, of all things, is not a problem for my team. Reflect halves anything they can accomplish with Swords Dance. And if I see them setting up -- I drop a screen, and switch to a sweeper. Does it always work? No. Does it work enough to feel reliable under most circumstances? Absolutely. It's just as much a gamble to send out a sweeper with no protection and assume the leads will pan out nicely so you don't have to switch. It's proven to be -less- a gamble, in most cases, to go in and set up fortifications, not knowing the full extent of the other team (as is the case in 3v3, where they pick a few but you don't know which). Given the vast, vast number of moves in existence, it's highly situational to come across a Brick Break, a Taunt, a Defog or a Magic Bounce -- and usually it's obvious when they're coming, and you shuffle priorities accordingly. Sometimes, you can even use Carbink as bait deliberately -- a switch to Noivern when they think they're going to hit you with Earthquake (which doesn't OHKO anyways), for example. Pokémon is a beautifully fluid thing.

ramyeon

This is what happens when you get only 2 swords dances up before passing to Kangaskhan.

Dude was a good sport, most flip the switch after #2 goes down.

HC9G-WWWW-WWW2-LUB6

Top Bottom