• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

So ever wondered how Eevee evolution priority is worked out? I'm halfway there. I get some Eevee up to 2 star amie and levelled them by the moss stone. I got Leafeon (both Sylveon and Leafon conditions were fulfilled).

I guess I should make a 2 star amie eevee happy (or rather a happy eevee 2 star amie) to work out where hapiness lies in the priority.

L.O.R.D

i just learned there gonna be Diancie event...for Gamestop
it will be distributed at GameStop stores in the United States in the fall
maybe it could be serial code or wireless

Players can get Diancie for Pokémon X or Pokémon Y via a character distribution at participating GameStop stores in the United States this fall. Further details will be shared soon. Players who receive Diancie can Mega Evolve it in Pokémon Omega Ruby or Pokémon Alpha Sapphire.

lupinko

Well for Canada, I would guess it would be for ebgames (GameStop brand never caught on there so they kept it as ebgames).

And I'm going to visit home late next month, so Gamestop Diancie to go along with Movie Diancie? D:

Deadman

Bred my first 5IV pokemon this weekend, an Absol :D

It took me quite a while since i was starting from scratch but the next ones i do should be much faster. I think ill go for charizard x since it will share the same IVs that Absol has.

It was cool to trade away the 4 iv Absols i didnt need in wonder trade and get quite a lot of good stuff back, some 4/5iv pokemon and even a squirtle.

lupinko

lupinko, how'd you find out about Powersaves for Jirachi? Bit curious if they plan on doing that with the upcoming Pikachu as well. And date they plan to stick on 'em if so.

It was a false alarm, turns out it was a edited save file hack.

So ever wondered how Eevee evolution priority is worked out? I'm halfway there. I get some Eevee up to 2 star amie and levelled them by the moss stone. I got Leafeon (both Sylveon and Leafon conditions were fulfilled).

I guess I should make a 2 star amie eevee happy (or rather a happy eevee 2 star amie) to work out where hapiness lies in the priority.

Sylveon needs 2 hearts amie AND a fairy move on the eevee. You were probably missing that condition. If you did have the fairy move on the eevee then I'm guessing the moss stone takes precedence.

Muku

It was a false alarm, turns out it was a edited save file hack.

Ah okay. Still bit worried though.

Sylveon needs 2 hearts amie AND a fairy move on the eevee. You were probably missing that condition. If you did have the fairy move on the eevee then I'm guessing the moss stone takes precedence.

Pretty sure the Moss Stone takes precedence. I remember trying to get it was either a Sylveon or Umbreon out there at one point, and forgetting the forest had the stone leveled in there. Would end up with Leafeon no matter what. Fortunately saved right before I did it. You don't even have to be on same screen that stone is, just level in the forest and you get Leafeon. Was frustrating because that is best wild place I think to level.

It should take precedence because getting a Leafeon is the only reason to be near it. Otherwise just go anywhere else for another evolution.

lupinko

I found out that there is a work around to that 24 hour lock from the gba, and thanks to the GameCube save, I have way too many shards.

You guys know what means, I have to speed run platinum to get to move tutors.

Move tutor moves for various Celebi and Jirachi. D:

And well pretty much everybody coming up to the gen 4 games. Since for W2, I'm at the mercy of dream radar to farm shards for move tutors.

So yeah I can bring up a bulk of the Ageto Celebi and Wishmaker Jirachi up to give away, both with Gen 4-only TMs, Water Pulse for both and Giga Drain for Celebi.

Muku

It should take precedence because getting a Leafeon is the only reason to be near it. Otherwise just go anywhere else for another evolution.

Around stone, I agree. On that screen with it. Anywhere else in forest is garbage though. But eh, it's best place in wild to level though IMHO.

Wanace

Somehow I managed to get my rating battle rating up to 1636. That's the highest I've ever been. Been on a streak lately somehow.

Pretty much every time I face is the same though, which has helped hone my strategy. And I've faced those weird Japanese teams enough times now to know what they do so I can have a good idea which Pokemon to bring out.

I'm still not happy with my team though, it can be stalled pretty easily if I'm not careful.

JoeM86

Somehow I managed to get my rating battle rating up to 1636. That's the highest I've ever been. Been on a streak lately somehow.

Pretty much every time I face is the same though, which has helped hone my strategy. And I've faced those weird Japanese teams enough times now to know what they do so I can have a good idea which Pokemon to bring out.

I'm still not happy with my team though, it can be stalled pretty easily if I'm not careful.

I noticed one flaw with the team I've been using the last couple of weeks. It runs best in a Trick Room, and Mega Mawile/Azumarill can destroy my strategy with ease, and they're always faster in the Trick Room than my Pokémon.

I only lose when against those, which unfortunately is common. I do win more than I lose, though.

Got a new team being made, even more gimmicky than my current one.

I bred a Jumpluff to Worry Seed bothersome abilities (Huge Power and the like) away but I haven't tried it in Ratings.
I did use it on a Mega Kang in Free Battles with good results :)

Right now I'm Masudaing an Eevee and keeping the rare Female 5 IVs that the parents sometimes produce.

I had the fairly moves on all of them once I was done with the battle.

I bred a Jumpluff to Worry Seed bothersome abilities (Huge Power and the like) away but I haven't tried it in Ratings.
I did use it on a Mega Kang in Free Battles with good results :)

Right now I'm Masudaing an Eevee and keeping the rare Female 5 IVs that the parents sometimes produce.
I hate that you can't worry seed away stance change* (would be a great counter) so assumed megas would be the same. Good to know that isn't the case.

*-Also Ditto doesn't get it so is left a lot less useful if it transforms into Ageislash.

I had the fairly moves on all of them once I was done with the battle.

I hate that you can't worry seed away stance change* (would be a great counter) so assumed megas would be the same. Good to know that isn't the case.

*-Also Ditto doesn't get it so is left a lot less useful if it transforms into Ageislash.
It doesn't? I was actually looking forward to try it on Aegislash. I'm disappointed now. :(

Whoa didn't know Ditto doesn't get Stance Change when transformed into Aegislash. :eek:

lupinko

Good trades for those Omega Ruby Stars, newly acquired in bold.

South Korea WCS Mega Aggron KOR
South Korea WCS Mega Houndoom KOR
South Korea WCS Mega Pinsir KOR

South Korea WCS Mega Manectric KOR
South Korea WCS Mega Heracross KOR
South Korea WCS Mega Tyranitar KOR
South Korea Olleh TV Mega Charizard X JPN Bold
Japan Corocoro Mega Charizard X JPN Adamant
Hong Kong XY TV Mega Charizard X ENG - will SR for Adamant
Japan Corocoro Mega Charizard Y ENG - will SR for Timid
Japan Corocoro Garchomp ENG - will SR for Jolly
France Prismillon Pokeball Pattern FRE Timid

New random pokemon event story today while farming, a family from Chicago on holiday came by, I explained some tourism things such as the big Tanabata event this week (hence why no Pokeball Viv during this time and not until Sat again I guess), and they brought their 13 year old son who likes Pokemon and really wanted to come to this PC in particular. I was told by the mother they went to the Tokyo one already, anyway I explained to them the distributions and unfortunately the kid did not bring his 3ds or may not even have one, since the parents kept telling me it was the old one and pointed to the og 3ds, so I'm guessing it's the former. They also found it interesting that pretty much a wide demographic here in Japan game and play Pokemon.

I didn't mind the conversation since I barely get to speak natural English anymore, and I'm busy as are my other foreign teaching colleagues, so yeah it was fun.

With that said, I'll take a break and resume on the weekend.

South Korea WCS Mega Aggron KOR
South Korea WCS Mega Houndoom KOR
South Korea WCS Mega Pinsir KOR

South Korea WCS Mega Manectric KOR
South Korea WCS Mega Heracross KOR
South Korea WCS Mega Tyranitar KOR
South Korea Olleh TV Mega Charizard X JPN Bold
Japan Corocoro Mega Charizard X JPN Adamant
Hong Kong XY TV Mega Charizard X ENG - will SR for Adamant
Japan Corocoro Mega Charizard Y ENG - will SR for Timid
Japan Corocoro Garchomp ENG - will SR for Jolly
France Prismillon Pokeball Pattern FRE Timid.

You wouldn't happen to have spares of those Mega Stones, would you?

Dandalf

Neo Member
Hey guys!

I'm looking for a Carvanha with Speed Boost (HA).

I've reached out other places but was hoping someone here has one they'd be willing to trade? I can offer the following Pokemon with 5IV's and their hidden abilities:

-Fletchling
-Sableye
-Gligar

Thanks in advance if you can help me out. Shoot me a PM if you have one!

Hey guys!

I'm looking for a Carvanha with Speed Boost (HA).

I've reached out other places but was hoping someone here has one they'd be willing to trade? I can offer the following Pokemon with 5IV's and their hidden abilities:

-Fletchling
-Sableye
-Gligar

Thanks in advance if you can help me out. Shoot me a PM if you have one!
I have a Speed Boost Carvanha but it's not 5 IVs and I'm currently Masudaing so is it alright if I just let you borrow it?

Muku

New random pokemon event story today while farming, a family from Chicago on holiday came by, I explained some tourism things such as the big Tanabata event this week (hence why no Pokeball Viv during this time and not until Sat again I guess), and they brought their 13 year old son who likes Pokemon and really wanted to come to this PC in particular. I was told by the mother they went to the Tokyo one already, anyway I explained to them the distributions and unfortunately the kid did not bring his 3ds or may not even have one, since the parents kept telling me it was the old one and pointed to the og 3ds, so I'm guessing it's the former. They also found it interesting that pretty much a wide demographic here in Japan game and play Pokemon.

I didn't mind the conversation since I barely get to speak natural English anymore, and I'm busy as are my other foreign teaching colleagues, so yeah it was fun.

That's awesome. Last time I was at Yokohama PC I saw a foreign family. Don't see them that often. Though, they looked at me strange since I was wearing my birthday Pokemon crown at the time. (Dude that set me up with my Umbreon put it together for me to wear. Lady putting together the kids in front of me didn't even do that for them, LOL.) Yes family. I love Pokemon and not afraid to show it.

I don't think most foreigners that go to the PC think about bringing their 3DS. But then again most times events aren't going on. But even still, they could do trades or something.

I guess being near enough to Tokyo is that some folks speak English. But even walking around places and hearing English in the wild kind of makes me take a double take. Not something you hear often enough. What throws me off is when a Japanese person just speaks English to me. What if I spoke French instead? LOL. I should learn enough French to throw them off. Kind of irks me though when I speak Japanese and they return in English. Sometimes I pass it off as they want to practice their English. Other times I get the "baka gaijin" feel to it.

redhairedking

I'd be more inclined to believe they want to practice their English. I've read that to live in Japan you need to have a proficiency of at least N2, so I'm assuming there is nothing wrong with your Japanese.

Azuran

Banned
Hey GAF, is this game supposed to troll you so much? I been trying to breed and raise a Breloom all day but every time a new egg hatches with the perfect IV spread, they don't have Quick Feet. And the ones that do are always missing Attack or Speed.

I swear I'm about to flip some tables here :/

lupinko

I'd be more inclined to believe they want to practice their English. I've read that to live in Japan you need to have a proficiency of at least N2, so I'm assuming there is nothing wrong with your Japanese.

I don't recall that, the proficiency thing I know of is for foreigners for JLPT, which is n2 at the least.

N1 being really hard and apparently too hard even for Japanese people themselves.

MarkusRJR

Random question: How do you guys name your protagonist? Do you use your real name, nick name, online user name, or something random?

I usually use my real name, but I'm starting a nuzlocke run and I kind of want to use a different name. I'm really uncreative...

lupinko

When I got back into Pokemon last October, I went with a parody of my favourite movie in Black Dynamite by using another parody of my other favourites in Tarantino movies.

All my characters are based on Uma's roles, Black Mamba from Kill Bill and her nickname is Mia which is from Pulp Fiction.

The joke itself is from Black Dynamite as that is the character's actual name and would be referred to as such even by his own family.

Unfortunately when replaying the old games afterward I ran into the character limit, so all my characters are just named Black. Although the male trainer of BW in the manga is named Black, I used the name instead for Hilda (Rosa, May, Dawn and Green/Leaf/Blue).

one_kill

Random question: How do you guys name your protagonist? Do you use your real name, nick name, online user name, or something random?

I usually use my real name, but I'm starting a nuzlocke run and I kind of want to use a different name. I'm really uncreative...
I use my real name
But I chose Beasy J for my nickname

:p

Muku

I just use my online name that I've had forever. If anyone gets any of my old Pokemon they'll see even back in the day I used this name. This generation though having multiple copies of game I'm sticking to my name. US X is Muku, US Y is Mukumuku, JPN X is ムク. Yeah, I'm unoriginal. Though just was always a quick and short name back in day. Now it's just easier for folks to recognize when I'm online.

I know they take some in school, but a lot don't go beyond that. And because of that they forget so if your Japanese isn't as good in some cases, you can't just revert to English, because most folks just shrug it off.

Mush

Spent several days trying to catch a decent Cobalion in my Black game and came up with this:

Cobalion - #638 (Jolly)
HP: 28
Att: 25 - 27
Def: 26 - 27
SpA: 6 - 8
SpD: 26 - 27
Speed: 18 - 19

Could be worse.

My Pokemon trainer name I've used since gen 1. It was a case of I had 4 characters to spare and decided to fill them. Had I played Pokemon before having an e-mail address etc I would have probably used that as my online handle.

Hey GAF, is this game supposed to troll you so much? I been trying to breed and raise a Breloom all day but every time a new egg hatches with the perfect IV spread, they don't have Quick Feet. And the ones that do are always missing Attack or Speed.

I swear I'm about to flip some tables here :/
As with all random things it really feels like you can hit a losing streak. Bolded is why I just release when ability is wrong as it just better not to know (though I guess non-HA abilities you can just capsule it).

My losing streak so far is Nidoran (F). I've been stuck on 4IVs for about 4 days. The 5IV spreads are always wrong (the most annoying was 5*31 1*0 and the 0 was HP, Attack would have been more perfect than I expect).

Hachitora

I've been using my real name since I started playing. I might just start using my online handle with OR/AS though

All right, trying to come up with some team configurations. Most of it's gonna come from testing, but here's the Pokémon I have (or still want to breed). Anyone see any potential here?

There's more, but I'm tired of breeding for a while. I want to beat White and HeartGold.

X3KjEqK.png

FYhfDYq.png

F9Cfucj.png

vXpp4Ou.png

Cathcart

Hey all. Just started up X this week and got my second badge last night. Good times. I haven't really played since Gen 3 so there's a lot of new stuff to pick up. I like the way they use the bottom screen for all of the online stuff, though I haven't used it much except to give out random O power ups and a couple Wonder Trades.

Oh right, I wanted to ask about Wonder Trades. Is there any kind of intelligence behind how it matches people up or is it completely random? I didn't know what it was so pretty early I offered up a Zigzagoon I found in the starter area and got a level 20 something Larvitar. Then I felt kinda bad. Larvitar did help me out a bit but that other guy was probably like "who traded me this garbage" lol. So does it normally try to find you an equivalent trade or something you don't have? Or is it possible to offer up a level 5 Pikachu and get Latios? Because then I'd probably never use it for fear of being the jerk that gave out Pikachus for a legendary.

Also, just curious, why isn't there 3D all the time in this game? Not that it really bothers me but I think it's the first 3DS game I've had where the feature was turned off for most of the game.

Don't worry, you don't trade on Wonder Trade expecting to get something good. It just happens occasionally. And, as they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure. That Larvitar could've been used for breeding, and the guy no longer needed it.

JoeM86

PokéBall Pattern Vivillon is currently being distributed over the Internet to North American players. Download it now, it's only live until Tuesday

Which is the better version? I'm going out shortly to pick up a blue 2ds and pokemon. I'm not sure if I should get X or Y. But I know Kmart has a sale going on.

PokéBall Pattern Vivillon is currently being distributed over the Internet to North American players. Download it now, it's only live until Tuesday
Niiiice. I can see the meltdowns already.

Which is the better version? I'm going out shortly to pick up a blue 2ds and pokemon. I'm not sure if I should get X or Y. But I know Kmart has a sale going on.
Go for whichever exclusive legendary you prefer (X for Xerneas or Y for Yveltal). But at the end of the day, you can trade for everything.

Niiiice. I can see the meltdowns already.

Go for whichever exclusive legendary you prefer (X for Xerneas or Y for Yveltal). But at the end of the day, you can trade for everything.

I just assumed X was the best version since it was higher. One usually collects for much higher than the other years later. I'm assuming it will be X.

In my site's FB post...you'd think that after so much complaining across the Internet about no NA events, there being 3 announced in one week would mean that people would be happy. Nope. "Where's Diancie?"

Haha, I was thinking of the other half of the camp, where people actually really want it. But yeah there's the other half that only cares for mythical Pokemon, not "recoloured butterflies".

There's that too, with the "When for Europe?" questions

At this rate, I'm assuming they're planning to have Poke Ball Vivillon in nearly every territory, but just need some kind of excuse.

I'm still hoping for one in the UK somewhere, maybe at one of the bigger gaming expos. Just so I can try my hand at SRing another Vivillon ^^

JoeM86

At this rate, I'm assuming they're planning to have Poke Ball Vivillon in nearly every territory, but just need some kind of excuse.

I'm still hoping for one in the UK somewhere, maybe at one of the bigger gaming expos. Just so I can try my hand at SRing another Vivillon ^^

Wouldn't be surprised if it's at Eurogamer Expo this year.

In my site's FB post...you'd think that after so much complaining across the Internet about no NA events, there being 3 announced in one week would mean that people would be happy. Nope. "Where's Diancie?"

Some people will just never be happy in the shadow of Japan's events. I don't think NA events will ever compare to JP ones, especially when it comes to the distribution of a new event legendary like Diancie because of how often those are tied into theatrical movies in Japan etc. I've seen plenty of people also complaining about how you need to go to Gamestop to get the mega stone for the Pinsir/Heracross, despite the fact that the majority of JP events are on-site distribution.

All right, trying to come up with some team configurations. Most of it's gonna come from testing, but here's the Pokémon I have (or still want to breed). Anyone see any potential here?

There's more, but I'm tired of breeding for a while. I want to beat White and HeartGold.

There's definitely potential with those pokemon; exactly how much and with how many of them being viable depends on how competitive you are. But I think you could definitely make any of those work if you want them to.

Lanturn, for example, is probably one of the more outlier Pokemon you have listed. You probably can't get very far with it competitively and in online battles, but I'm a bit fond of it and its unique typing myself and use one somewhat often. I try and take advantage of its HP (basically the only thing it has going for it other than its typing) and run Leftovers/Aqua Ring with EVs pumped into HP and see marginal success against my friends. There are times where it's been able to hang around well, but it's still not bulky enough to tank super-effective hits (maybe it could with the help of a light screen or reflect), so there have also been quite a few times where it goes down really quick.

JoeM86

Some people will just never be happy in the shadow of Japan's events. I don't think NA events will ever compare to JP ones, especially when it comes to the distribution of a new event legendary like Diancie because of how often those are tied into theatrical movies in Japan etc. I've seen plenty of people also complaining about how you need to go to Gamestop to get the mega stone for the Pinsir/Heracross, despite the fact that the majority of JP events are on-site distribution.

People really don't pay attention to the events in Japan enough. They see event, they see Japan. They don't see that it's in one building in all of Japan for from a week to a month.

Top Bottom