• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

Muku

Fighting with someone using three legendaries (Mewtwo X, Zygarde, Xerneas). Hopefully my defenses are strong enough.

I'm pretty annoyed by RNG though in this match. I've missed status inducing attacks three times in a row <_<

OMG now I'm frozen wtf!

Yes! Azumarill OHKO'd Mewtwo X and Lucario!

And I won!

Guess they went and got their legendaries and thought they were going to steamroll some nublets. Sounds like you had a rough start, but glad you pulled out a win! Your title should be "OHKO". Every time I see your name I keep thinking it's a variation on it.

Thinking of raising a Milotic. I've never bothered with one before. I've read a little about it, but curious what yall think. Thinking of going Bold. Swift Swim = Marvel Scale upon evolution, correct?

Biggest thing is I'm much more of a power kind of person. I like to power folks down. So having a Milotic is a bit of a change from the normal for me. What moves would be recommended for it? I kind of want something in mind so I can breed for egg moves if I need to.

spiritfox

Not a theorycrafter, but isn't Milotic more of a special D. wall/bruiser?

I mean, it can probably (maybe?) eat a brave bird, but I don't know if a non-stab Icebeam kills Talonflame due to fire resists.

Milotic can be a decent physical wall if built for it. But I don't think it can take more than a 1 Brave Bird before it needs to spam Recover. Also, you can't burn Talonflame, which is what makes Milotic a good physical wall. Haven't really played it against the bird though due to having better switchins.

spiritfox

Guess they went and got their legendaries and thought they were going to steamroll some nublets. Sounds like you had a rough start, but glad you pulled out a win! Your title should be "OHKO". Every time I see your name I keep thinking it's a variation on it.

Thinking of raising a Milotic. I've never bothered with one before. I've read a little about it, but curious what yall think. Thinking of going Bold. Swift Swim = Marvel Scale upon evolution, correct?

Biggest thing is I'm much more of a power kind of person. I like to power folks down. So having a Milotic is a bit of a change from the normal for me. What moves would be recommended for it? I kind of want something in mind so I can breed for egg moves if I need to.

Go for Competitive if you want power. Switch in to an Intimidate and start sweeping. It only has HydroPump/Surf, Ice Beam, and Dragon Pulse as viable offense moves though.

If you want I still have some 5iv Bold Feebas with egg moves left over. Can't trade till I get home though.

Edit: whoops double post.

Muku

Go for Competitive if you want power. Switch in to an Intimidate and start sweeping. It only has HydroPump/Surf, Ice Beam, and Dragon Pulse as viable offense moves though.

If you want I still have some 5iv Bold Feebas with egg moves left over. Can't trade till I get home though.

Edit: whoops double post.

It's all good. I have Feebas, can't remember what egg moves they have at moment, but they're 5IV. I'll probably end up with two. One for power and another as a bit of a wall. If I were to go more of a wall for one, what moves would be best for it? I'm trying to broaden my horizons a bit.

Usobuko

Banned
I have a modest Rotom-W with investment in Sp.Atk / Spd, it can still handle TalonFlame BB well. What I really want is a bold nature one with painsplit. That move for Rotom-W is just too good but too bad it's only available in Gen 5 due to move tutors. Same goes for Defog Togekiss, Elemental Punch Assault Vest Conkeldurr, hence I'm reluctant to breed one yet.

spiritfox

It's all good. I have Feebas, can't remember what egg moves they have at moment, but they're 5IV. I'll probably end up with two. One for power and another as a bit of a wall. If I were to go more of a wall for one, what moves would be best for it? I'm trying to broaden my horizons a bit.

Scald is the best STAB since burns cut their physical attack, and Recover is obvious for a wall. The other 2 moves depends on what you need. Haze to shut down setup sweepers, Toxic to Toxic-stall, Ice Beam for coverage, Mirror Coat to troll people.

one_kill

With Feebas, Swift Swim turns into Marvel Scale once it evolves into Milotic right?

I might breed one so I can have a physical wall that knows haze.

LaNaranja

This Poliwag refuses to be born with the right IV spread :(

I'm working on a doubles team and want to be able to start with some rain.

Edit: Wow complaining on GAF really does work! My very next egg was perfect.

backlot

I run MegaAmphy with Discharge (for doubles)/Dragon Pulse/Focus Miss/Volt Switch. You can also breed Agility which allows it to be slightly faster, though I think it thrives on Trick Room sets.

I wished it learnt Flash Cannon. Why does a lighthouse Pokemon not learn a light-esque move?

Signal Beam is his light move. Sorry it's Bug type.

GamerSoul

I LOVE Surskit/Masquerain's move pool but dat bug/flying typing on Masquerain is crappy. It's still one of my favorites though.

Muku

Scald is the best STAB since burns cut their physical attack, and Recover is obvious for a wall. The other 2 moves depends on what you need. Haze to shut down setup sweepers, Toxic to Toxic-stall, Ice Beam for coverage, Mirror Coat to troll people.

Cool, thank ya. Going to have to figure out which route I want to go with it. I kind of look forward to playing with Milotic. Always kind of avoided it for some reason but I'm really digging the idea of it with breeding Feebas and looking at its moves.

Firestorm

I've been super busy with work and Regionals so haven't had time to post and now we're on an OT4?!

PS: For those who want a look at teams that were used at the first Regional of the year, it's pretty crazy what some of the Pokemon people used were. Ray wrote up a team report on his winning team as well.

I'll be in Oregon this weekend! Say hi if you're going to be there too :) Just EVing my last Pokemon now.

Asked this the other day, but does anybody have a spare Bergmite with Sturdy? I don't care about the IVs. You can find them in the Ice friend safari, but they don't have the hidden ability in mine.

Quest1

I've been super busy with work and Regionals so haven't had time to post and now we're on an OT4?!

PS: For those who want a look at teams that were used at the first Regional of the year, it's pretty crazy what some of the Pokemon people used were. Ray wrote up a team report on his winning team as well.

I'll be in Oregon this weekend! Say hi if you're going to be there too :) Just EVing my last Pokemon now.

I love the analysis. I want to rock a timid intimidate scarf mence now.

CrimsonN0

Asked this the other day, but does anybody have a spare Bergmite with Sturdy? I don't care about the IVs. You can find them in the Ice friend safari, but they don't have the hidden ability in mine.

I think I can catch one.
Just start up a trade with me a couple minutes.

Bulbasaur

Banned
It's become apparent that Toxicroak is my favorite pokemon again this gen. I give it the air balloon, run him with Dynamic punch, substitute, poison jab and sucker punch and I can pretty much body anything as long as dynamic punch doesn't repeatedly screw me. And If I switch into rain it's even better!

Now you know!

Wazzy

Banned

Nice coverage.

Do you have an idea of when the tournament is going to start?

Firestorm

I should have specified, I meant the GAF tournament.

Are you entering the Oregon tournament? If so good luck!
Yeah. And right. That. God. You know what, I'm done with this Pokebank crap. We'll start the Wednesday after I get back so I have some time to make up brackets. I'll post in the thread.

OceanBlue

Not too shabby showing by Mawile :D. They don't even look like Trick Room teams. I'm reading the analysis now and there's a lot to think about. I'm glad he's an advocate for putting bulk on Mega Mawile. I bought into the whole, "Mawile needs Adamant + 252 ATK because of the returns on Huge Power," but I wished Mega Mawile had more survivability. I might try rebreeding my Mawile.

I'm also glad to see that Prankster Charm is useful! I've been really interested in using Charm + Cotton Guard Whimsicott lately. Seems super obnoxious.

Edit: Thanks macklelol!

onslack

No one, that's why it kinda stopped. Although I'm trying to give onslack a copy of everything I have.

I haven't managed to catch you online as of yet.

I'm still cloning though ( sloooowly haha)

I have -

6IV Shiny Mew
6IV Jap Ditto
Happy Hour Inkay

OT4, wow.

Just been working on the Pokedex lately really whilst i wait for the bank to hit. Didn't realise how late Pawniard evolves until now, level 52!

ugoo18

Could someone please explain how a Delphox pulls of a 1 turn Solar beam without any Sun?

Just faced someone on rating battle who did that and i'm not sure how exactly.

GAMERG0D

This info will be useful to me. I"ll be at the Regionals in Orlando. Do they ever sell merchandise at these things? [t-shirts, plushies, etc.]

OceanBlue

But looking at it's base stats should tell you that it's still good.

Mmm, I'd say that you still need context to make sense of base stats (if you even know that base stats exist). That requires knowing what Pokemon are good in the first place and how important base stats are to the game. If you don't have context, they're just numbers. Plus, there are always other considerations like weakness to common moves and roles. For example, I'd say that Starmie looks pretty mediocre on paper compared to a Pokemon like Arcanine. IMO, people shouldn't be so assuming that a new player understands things you might implicitly understand when they ask questions.

I'm really bad, so I don't want to answer questions with too much certainty because I'm aware that there's a lot I probably don't understand about the game. I'd hope that, if I asked a question to a better player, they wouldn't assume I'm familiar with the intricacies of the metagame, because I have no idea lol.

I haven't played Pokemon since gen 2 (13 years ago I think) so bear with me being terrible. I have little idea what stats mean and what skills are good. The only thing I remember is liking Dragonite back then.

Muku

So, was going to throw up an Eevee on GTS. Just a reject amongst the stuff I'm getting right now. I put notes sometimes depending on IVs and HAs. I put in "5IV Anticipation". Fit just right, but then I was told I can't put that word. Any other strange words you guys have found it will not let you put up?

Top Bottom