• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POKEMON!!!

JackFrost2012 said:
Crazymoogle: thanks for the detailed advice! It's prolly best I ran into trouble so soon, as it's forcing me to play the game more balanced and realistically. ;)

I know it might be a pain at first, but after awhile there is a certain amount of addiction to gradually growing your pokemon. Don't feel reluctant to look at faqs or websites for pokemon growth info, because sometimes it's a lot easier to endure skulking in the bushes if you know you're looking for one rare pokemon and want to level up one of your own to a specific point.

I want to get a Machamp eventually, so I'm leaning against taking Mankey too far. Also, I messed up when I said Chansey; I meant Clefable. I have a friend with Leaf Green (johntv) I can trade with, so evolving Abra to max is no problem (I finally caught him this morning! yeah!). I'll ask John about getting me a Starmie; maybe I can trade him an Oddish for it.

Clefable is okay, although on cuteness factor I go for Wigglytuff. One thing to keep in mind though - no matter what we say, you can probably train any pokemon into greatness. Some Pokemon have shitty stats, some have shitty move compatibility, but in the end it's more about the makeup of your team. About the only one that is universally hated for this reason is Luvdisc, and you won't be seeing that Pokemon in FR/LG.

Definitely ask John for Staryu - he evolves into Starmie with the easily accessible water stone, and is really easy to catch with a fishing rod. Starmie is an awesome Water/Psychic type, and if you've fought Misty yet, you know how brutal it can be.

There's two other benefits to trading: If you have a pokemon in your group that you did not personally catch, it gains 1.5x EXP for as long as you keep it, and there is a rare chance of your pokemon catching the Pokerus (pokemon virus) which boosts EXP gain for everybody for a certain period of time (actually, I'm not sure if it carries to LG/FR, but I've only ever encountered it once)

Edit: The detriment is that traded pokemon are surly. Badges are needed to keep them in line (I think the water badge guarantees you up to Lv30?) This prevents you from just trading for a Lv99 guy early and mopping the floor with everything.

Where do you get Cut and other HMs? I presume they show up automagically as you go through the story... Also, what does "HM" stand for? Poor Japanese versioned me ... I know most of the Pokemon names bilingually, but the move names are 120% lost on me. ;) Oh, well, that's why I bought the guidebook. :p

Nope. To earn HMs, you need to find the labcoat scientist guys who are at various points in the game. I think the cut guy may approach you, but some of them are just sitting around in houses and require minimum amounts of 'pokemon caught' in your pokedex. To make matters more complicated, you need to beat the appropriate gym boss to be able to use the move. Cut is easy; you get it from the Captain of the S.S. Anne. If you haven't been to the Anne yet, don't sweat not having HMs.

TMs (Technical Machines)
HMs (Hidden Machines)

As mentioned, if you learn a TM, the TM is used up, but you can always overwrite the move later. HMs can never be used up, but you can't overwrite the move without the aforementioned extraordinary measures. Since Paras can learn cut and flash, he's a good HM pokemon early on.

Two great websites for pokemon nerding.

Serebii.net

Pokemon Forever (even in pretty pink!)

Also, I'm sorely tempted to get a fucking Action Replay to JUST unlock the ticket things in my cart (nothing else), since there's absolutely no way possible for me to download the damn things via Nintendo promotions. Asshats.

Dragona Akehi said:
I'm sorely tempted to get a fucking Action Replay to JUST unlock the ticket things in my cart (nothing else), since there's absolutely no way possible for me to download the damn things via Nintendo promotions. Asshats.

Ohhhhhh, do tell! Also, why do people diss Colisseum so much? I've only my copy for like 5 mins... what's the dealio?

I live under a rock. With DSL. That's why.

I haven't played Pokemon Colosseum yet. I have no idea, though it's already rendered obsolete since Emerald has all of the pokemon that (save Ho-oh and Lugia) Colosseum does.

It's 3:00 AM and I have work tomorrow. :(

But I just beat the third Gym Leader! :D

...OH GOD WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?!

btw, how does the third Gym Leader act in the English version? cause in the Japanese one, he's supposed to be an American, and his speech is punctuated with amusing katakana Engrish and misconjugated verbs.

JackFrost2012 said:
It's 3:00 AM and I have work tomorrow. :(

But I just beat the third Gym Leader! :D

...OH GOD WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?!

Now you know the hold that Pokemon HAS on otherwise normal/elitist gamer jerks like us.

btw, how does the third Gym Leader act in the English version? cause in the Japanese one, he's supposed to be an American, and his speech is punctuated with amusing katakana Engrish and misconjugated verbs.

Like a soldier. SIR YES SIR, etc.

huzkee said:
Ohhhhhh, do tell! Also, why do people diss Colisseum so much? I've only my copy for like 5 mins... what's the dealio?

Not much to tell; with a cheat device or a way to load savegames it's pretty simple to acquire a cheat roster or items you couldn't get otherwise.

Colosseum is a good game in concept, but is terrible in execution. Turning trainer battles in pokemon catching opportunities seems fun...until you have to spend story battles risking your entire squad just to steal one pokemon. It's tedious at best.

More importantly, the battle interface really drags. Every move is like a medium length summon spell from a FF game, which means every battle is several times longer than even the worst FR/LG fight. I wanted to raise a cool team, but the game just puts me to sleep having to wait for the pokemon to get the damned job done. Since you have to beat the game before you can trade any of your Colosseum roster, I just gave up on the whole idea.

The closest thing to a good home console Pokemon still has to be Pokemon Box, and that's a pretty sad way to look at it.

cvxfreak

This thread is encouraging me to make a FAQ translating things from English to Japanese and back (like what I did with the Pokeballs). Problem is, I'm not sure how to make a FAQ with Japanese text. >_<

Dragona Akehi said:
I haven't played Pokemon Colosseum yet. I have no idea, though it's already rendered obsolete since Emerald has all of the pokemon that (save Ho-oh and Lugia) Colosseum does.

I would rather play Japanese Emerald than american Colosseum. Ugh.

Dragona Akehi said:
As long as your Computer can display JPN characters at all, then it can display them in a txt file.

It would definitely help to have a unicode compatible text editor, though. Notepad is useless garbage compared to stuff like Metapad.

Crazymoogle said:
The closest thing to a good home console Pokemon still has to be Pokemon Box, and that's a pretty sad way to look at it.

Is there any reason I should/shouldn't pick up Box? It's like 580y new a lot of places nowadays.

Top Bottom