• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

Skiptastic said:
I got my own thing, too. :p
I got a feeling yours will have a bit more utility than afterlife LBJ.
Even in poligaf.
;p

mckmas8808 said:
What deal was that?
It's from here (check out his other comics as well, me likey).

p.s.
rP6P4.png

p.p.s.
hot damn, the imgur addin is all kinds of awesome.

eznark

Banned
Jackson50 said:
I understand why economic/budgetary reform took precedence. But I am surprised that it has not hitherto been broached. I presumed it would be a priority for someone as ardently anti-abortion as Walker.

Sometimes talking to you is like talking to a foreigner with a thesaurus. The words are correct but it's like you've never actually had a conversation in English.

As far as being "ardently anti-abortion" that is his beliefs but it hasn't been a political priority at any point in his career. Like Obama and gays. Should the opportunity arise he'll probably support the cause, but he isn't leading the charge.

Averon

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/poll-hints-congress-could-see-shake-2012-183714199.html

New poll hints Congress could see a shake-up in 2012

In a sign of how perilous the ongoing partisan gridlock could be for both parties in Washington, a new poll finds that just 30 percent of Americans are willing to re-elect their current member of Congress.

According to a new ABC News/Washington Post poll, 63 percent of those surveyed say they are inclined to "look around" for someone new to elect. That's the highest anti-incumbency number ever recorded in the poll, which dates back to 1989.

By comparison, roughly half of Americans said they were looking to new candidates ahead of the 2010 midterms, when Republicans claimed 63 new seats in Congress and regained majority control of the House.

The latest poll would seem most perilous to Republicans, since they hold more seats in the House. More broadly, however, the survey underlines just how little esteem the country holds for sitting lawmakers from either major party in Congress.

Still pollster Gary Langer writes in an analysis of the poll that anti-incumbency is particularly high among Democrats, "a possible sign they are stirring as they did not in 2010.

Buyer's remorse.

SolKane said:
Anyone else following the possible FAA shutdown? I feel so stupid having just purchased planet tickets a few days ago...

No need to worry, like everything else, there are two levels of government

Air-traffic controllers, deemed "essential" federal employees, would continue to work, but the flow of federal payments for airport construction projects would also stop.

So people can sit back say "wow, I dont need government to fly!"

eznark said:
Sometimes talking to you is like talking to a foreigner with a thesaurus. The words are correct but it's like you've never actually had a conversation in English.
Leave my fellow Spartan alone. That's how we talk in Michigan. We're have schools and stuff on this side of the lake.

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
Leave my fellow Spartan alone. That's how we talk in Michigan. We're have schools and stuff on this side of the lake.

on a side note, do you listen to 97.1, mainly for Mike Valenti? *dap* even though I'm no Spartan

SolKane

jamesinclair said:
No need to worry, like everything else, there are two levels of government

So people can sit back say "wow, I dont need government to fly!"

The whole situation is just a mess, they could potentially lose $200 million a week in tax revenue despite the non-essential furloughs. And it's all a phony scheme to shut down the union plan for transportation workers.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/21/military.dadt/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Official: Pentagon set to certify repeal of 'don't ask, don't tell'

(CNN) -- The Pentagon is set to certify that the U.S. military is prepared to accept openly gay and lesbian service members, and doing so will not harm military readiness, a U.S. official told CNN on Thursday.

According to the official, who spoke on condition of not being identified, an announcement of that certification -- which is required to repeal the "don't ask, don't tell" policy -- is likely to come Friday.

Under a bill passed last year that set up a process for repealing the controversial policy, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen, along with President Barack Obama, have to sign a certification that confirms the military's ability to accept the integration of openly gay and lesbian troops.

Even after certification, there will be a 60-day waiting period before the repeal is fully implemented.

In a statement Thursday, one of the leading groups advocating for repeal, Servicemembers United, said it had expected Panetta to act on certification after assessing the situation since he succeeded Robert Gates as defense secretary on July 1.

"We are glad to see that just three weeks into his tenure as secretary of defense, he (Panetta) is already confident that this policy change can take place with little or no disruption to military readiness," said the Servicemembers United statement.
Repealing the "don't ask, don't tell" policy would end a convoluted legal battle led by human rights and gay rights groups.

A gay rights group -- the Log Cabin Republicans -- had sued over the 18-year-old ban on openly gay and lesbian members serving in the U.S. armed forces.

In September U.S. District Judge Virginia Phillips declared the military's ban to be unconstitutional and demanded the government immediately stop enforcing it.

U.S. officials have been moving ahead with dismantling "don't' ask, don't tell" but had objected to having the courts force the government to officially repeal it.

The case put the Obama administration in an unusual position of supporting a repeal but at the same time filing court motions to prevent it from happening faster than planned.

Last week, a federal appeals court temporarily reinstated the policy, but banned the military services from investigating or discharging anyone under the rule.

The 9th U.S. Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals in California issued the order late Friday after the Obama administration asked it to reconsider its recent order temporarily blocking the policy.

On Thursday, the Log Cabin Republicans filed a legal challenge to the appellate court's temporary reinstatement of the policy, arguing that the unconstitutional statute would continue to harm the rights of gay and lesbian service members until it was fully repealed.

I thought Kosmo said this was never going to happen, especially not this year?

Kosmo said:
When it happens and soldiers in the Army can come right out and say "I'm gay" I'll believe it.
Oh good. You're back.

Maybe now you can explain this:

Kosmo said:
So separation of church and state...but we should force churches to recognize gay marriage? I'm not sure I see your point.

ReBurn

Gold Member
TacticalFox88 said:
Rush Blames Obama's election for Layoffs during Bush's Term

Everything is Obama's fault....even by retroactive application
I find this ironic, considering during his first two years in office Bush was Obama's primary scapegoat when it came to any criticism of his leadership.

quadriplegicjon said:

I wonder how many actually come out.

eznark

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
I thought he was one of the guys we should be very afraid of though? (not stated by you per se)

The only people saying that are Democrats. I've said he was DOA since before his pathetic announcement.

One thing's for sure. If Perry does run, the entire Christian/evangelical/megachurch community will wholeheartedly endorse him. Right now, they're wincing whenever they see Romney.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
eznark said:
The only people saying that are Democrats. I've said he was DOA since before his pathetic announcement.

Maybe Obama's move to appoint him was even more shrewd than we originally thought. Huntsman could have positioned himself much differently had he not spent the last three years working for his future rival.

He would still be a terribad public speaker though.

Averon

RustyNails said:
One thing's for sure. If Perry does run, the entire Christian/evangelical/megachurch community will wholeheartedly endorse him. Right now, they're wincing whenever they see Romney.

Ugh...The thought of such an evangelical Christan panderer in the WH combined with the GOP (as they are now) controlling both houses congress is quite scary. Though, it'll be interesting to see if the TP rhetoric of limited government can mesh with social conservatives desire to pass very government intrusive legislation.

eznark

Banned
Averon said:
Ugh...The thought of such an evangelical Christan panderer in the WH combined with the GOP (as they are now) controlling both houses congress is quite scary. Though, it'll be interesting to see if the TP rhetoric of limited government can mesh with social conservatives desire to pass very government intrusive legislation.

huh?

Jackson50

quadriplegicjon said:

He did. And he asserted the commanders refused to end it. Oops.
eznark said:

As far as being "ardently anti-abortion" that is his beliefs but it hasn't been a political priority at any point in his career. Like Obama and gays. Should the opportunity arise he'll probably support the cause, but he isn't leading the charge.
If I annoy you as much as it seems, why do you not ignore me?

eznark

Banned
Jackson50 said:
If I annoy you as much as it seems, why do you not ignore me?

I never called you annoying. I defended you the last time someone said something! (Your last post was just especially forced).

Plus, I've never ignored anyone.

eznark said:
The thought of that happening post-2012. The thought of the GOP members, as they are today, being in charge of both houses. (Jeez, I need to refresh my PoliGAF more often. Beaten like a witch in Delaware.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom