• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

slit

Incognito said:
accoring to rich lowry

unbelievable

I feel really bad for current and future students that just want to better themselves. I would have never been able to go to college without those grants. Cutting those grants down while tuition prices go up is completely irresponsible.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
You know, it looks like Boehner's role as speaker is borked no matter what he does at this point. Not that I give a shit what happens to him, but what I fear is that he'll just say 'fuck it', if that's the case, and let the country default.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Here comes the student protests.

Finally.

That's the only way out of any political dead-end.

besada

Banned
I almost feel sorry for all the Republicans who have hamstrung themselves by pandering to the Tea Party. And then I start laughing.

It would be politically akin to the Democrats electing Earth First members, and taking their cues from the 80's version of ACT-UP.

If you're dumb enough to let the crazies in your party lead, you deserve what you get. I'll save my pity for the rest of us.

Also, imagining the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and their reactions are making me giggle.

polyh3dron said:
The vote is now officially postponed.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Die in a glorious fire, Grand Old Party.

obama_laughing_.jpg

Since Reid's bill deals with the budget, will it be possible to use reconciliation in order to avoid a filibuster? If not I guess Obama steps back in with a shitty compromise, or if we're lucky we just get a clean bill.

DEO3 said:
I almost feel sorry for Boehner, he can't get a compromise bill passed in the House, he can't get a teaparty bill passed in the Senate, and if the world comes crumbling down he's going to be the one everyone blames. He's trying so hard to get something, anything, passed in order to not be left holding the bag, but the dude is fucked.
I really want to know what it will take for moderate Republicans to repudiate those individuals that are really out there. Why must they constantly shift to the right and embrace the crazy? What will it take? I guess we'll have to go to the edge to keep the Republican party in one piece. Heaven forbid that the sane ones team up with Democrats and actually governor.

Averon

Oblivion said:
You know, it looks like Boehner's role as speaker is borked no matter what he does at this point. Not that I give a shit what happens to him, but what I fear is that he'll just say 'fuck it', if that's the case, and let the country default.

Nah. He'll likely fuck over the tea party and make a deal with Pelosi. They're the ones who are sinking his Speakership as we speak.

tokkun

Incognito said:
it won't get to obama's desk.

This is what they claim. But with the vote in the House delayed until tomorrow, would Reid have enough time to revise the bill, pass it in the Senate, then send it back to the House before the limit? Or will they be in the position of not having enough time to pass anything else?

besada

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Here comes the student protests.

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Thanks.

FR are referring to Boehner alternately as Bonehead or The Weeper. One guy just said he'd rather have a bucket of warm goat phleghm than "the Weeper."

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Evening Musuko said:
As an american college student, I doubt it.

Now, if this was an election year...I'd still doubt it.

Every other country faced with austerity cuts had students protesting, and it's far from over.

US students better follow suit.

besada

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Every other country faced with austerity cuts had students protesting, and it's far from over.

US students better follow suit.

The U.S. isn't every other country. It's children are well fed, apathetic, and so apolitical that many have no idea this is even going on. Seriously, go hunt down the numbers for how much news the under 25 crowds consume.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
besada said:
I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Thanks.

Word. That shit worked out so well for us in Cali throughout the whole Schwarzenegger administration.

PhoenixDark said:
Since Reid's bill deals with the budget, will it be possible to use reconciliation in order to avoid a filibuster? If not I guess Obama steps back in with a shitty compromise, or if we're lucky we just get a clean bill.

No, because it would have to pass the House first, which it (most likely) wouldn't.

accoring to rich lowry

unbelievable

Also: GOP wants tax cuts for those among us who kick puppies for a living. Or for fun. Either way, really.

besada

Banned
Oblivion said:
Word. That shit worked out so well for us in Cali throughout the whole Schwarzenegger administration.

Hell, I'm not even sure it worked during Vietnam, when students ate, breathed, and shat politics. The first big protests started in '64 and we were still in Vietnam past the end of the decade.

And I find it difficult to imagine masses of modern teenagers and twenty-somethings willing to take a billy club beat down like their parents did. Say what you want about the Boomers, but at least they geared up for a fight once in their lives.

I marched all through the 80's and other than on the issue of AIDS, I'm not sure it did a damn thing. ACT-UP, now they knew how to throw a protest.

Edit: Can I just say that reading a bunch of angry Republicans rant about wanting an up or down vote in the Senate is one of the funnier things I've seen this week.

Ok, maybe this is a dumb question: Let's say by some act of God a clean debt ceiling raise passed the House, couldn't the Senate pass it on a mere majority, and just have the minority *not* filibuster? Ok, they make their point by voting it down, but they just don't filibuster it. Is this even within the realm of the world we live in?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Incognito said:
accoring to rich lowry

unbelievable

Further proof that the GOP is intent on making this a 2-class country--the minority of haves and the majority of have-nots.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I don't care about Boner and whoever leads these guys, and as I don't live in US I still can't understand, will they vote for raising a debt ceiling before the deadline? I need to know if I should pile up water, bullets, gasoline.

Jeels

Can someone help respond to this guy:

"I'd let that argument fly except compromise wasn't really needed under Obama's honeymoon. If his party had towed his line while they had an unstoppable majority they could have passed any kind of legislation they wanted--including the debt ceiling. It didn't happen because people in his own party didn't have the courage to back him. It's not so black and white or good vs bad guys. Neither party is completely innocent or guilty. In the end it comes down to if you want government or private sector to do more or less. You can't play a game alone. Both sides are playing it. They're both just answering to their constituencies. Neither side has some mandate from the American people and both are going to do whatever they can to bring success in the eyes of their supporters."

Hey guys, this debt stuff is boring.

How come were not talking about the REAL Megaton.

Nintendo dropped the 3DS price by $80.

Tea party has nothing on this.

The United States is literally allowing a few dozen batshit elected officials to take potentially crippling shots at their own economy... and everyone else's.

I've been watching and reading US coverage every day since I got here (I'm visiting for a month), but I just give up now. I really did watch and read everything. I have tried to understand, with no success.

The situation is beyond my fucking comprehension.

Drakeon

Jeels said:
Can someone help respond to this guy:

"I'd let that argument fly except compromise wasn't really needed under Obama's honeymoon. If his party had towed his line while they had an unstoppable majority they could have passed any kind of legislation they wanted--including the debt ceiling. It didn't happen because people in his own party didn't have the courage to back him. It's not so black and white or good vs bad guys. Neither party is completely innocent or guilty. In the end it comes down to if you want government or private sector to do more or less. You can't play a game alone. Both sides are playing it. They're both just answering to their constituencies. Neither side has some mandate from the American people and both are going to do whatever they can to bring success in the eyes of their supporters."

The reason the democrats didnt up the debt ceiling is because they didn't anticipate the crazies holding the entire world hostage with it. It's always been a routine thing to pass regardless of who was president or who controlled congress. It has nothing to do with his own party not believing in him (Obama).

Just realized...

Tomorrow is Friday.

Last Friday of the month.

What is traditionally home to the worst market days?

Friday.

What is traditionally home to the worst Fridays?

The last one.

Black Friday.

Wonder how many people will zero out their portfolios tomorrow and move to a Caribbean island?

Drakeon said:
The reason the democrats didnt up the debt ceiling is because they didn't anticipate the crazies holding the entire world hostage with it. It's always been a routine thing to pass regardless of who was president or who controlled congress. It has nothing to do with his own party not believing in him (Obama).
Also the debt ceiling has already been raised three times under Obama, albeit before you let the people in clown pants shit themselves repeatedly in the house of representatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom