• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allard said:
I'm hoping with that Wall Street Journal article and maybe some other conservative and more business based newspapers start spreading ill will of the Tea Party, it might give those moderate republicans a bit of cover and hopefully change the tide on them a bit as the most vocal part of the caucus which I hope would lead to them voting on the potential Reid plan.

A WSJ article will just fuel the Wall Street vs. Main Street BS. The divide already exists in the party, there is no room for cover.

Allard

eznark said:
Loosest definition of "almost unanimously" ever.

Been in a conference for women-owned small business owners all day, did I miss anything important?

House passes there debt plan, Senate resoundingly crushes it, not even a party line vote, several Republicans voted against it.

eznark said:
Loosest definition of "almost unanimously" ever.

Been in a conference for women-owned small business owners all day, did I miss anything important?
Sounds like a nice conference to be at.
You missed nothing. Boehner trying to save America from financial ruins and Dems obstructing.

Jonm1010

Banned
Man this Lawerence O'Donnell guy is pretty brutal(first time watching MSNBC in a long time)

Absolutely murdering Joe Walsh over his comments about not putting a dollar on the back of his kids when he is 117,000 late on child support despite taking extravagant vacations with his girlfriend and lending his campaign almost 50,000 dollars.

Souldriver said:
So I was wondering...

I know Obama's approval ratings are in the shitter because of this whole debacle, but are there specific polls about which person/plan/party the public trusts/distrusts and or blames for this situation?

It's hard to fathom that there would still be people siding with the tea partiers, but I have a dark brown feeling that there's still a whole bunch of them.

Everyone involved in this mess is taking a big hit. A lot of the polling seems to be against Boehner and his plan but Congress only cares about polling when it agrees with them so it doesn't matter.

Allard

Jonm1010 said:
Man this Lawerence O'Donnell guy is pretty brutal(first time watching MSNBC in a long time)

Absolutely murdering Joe Walsh over his comments about not putting a dollar on the back of his kids when he is 137,000 late on child support despite taking extravagant vacations with his girlfriend and lending his campaign almost 50,000 dollars.

Back during the 2010 election O'Donnell went on a tirade of the future of US policy in regards to the debt ceiling because of how of some the junior senators and house members would likely hold it hostage. People in this thread laughed at him because they thought it was just a meltdown of not seeing who they wanted to win, win and that it wasn't anywhere near an issue he made it out to be. He is looking unfortunately very good for seeing that as a big problem.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
TacticalFox88 said:
It didn't work because Republicans watered that shit down, and he had to deal with the Blue Dogs. The stimulus should've been a trillion dollars at the very least, with most of it going into education and infrastructure.

Its crazy to me that the conservatives have got you guys to say that the ARRA bill (stimulus) didn't work when it did.

Why are you falling for this lie?

mckmas8808 said:
This is a damn lie. The Congress denied the commission's recommendations. Obama is the one that push for it and had to sign an executive order to get it going.
Yeah, he started it, and then the commission offered their recommendations. His response was less than enthusiastic.

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-mon...t-falls-far-short-of-debt-commission-savings-

"President Obama’s 2012 budget request to be released on Monday will reduce budget deficits over the next decade by only a quarter of the amount proposed by the presidential debt commission in December, a senior administration official confirmed Sunday."

mckmas8808 said:
Its crazy to me that the conservatives have got you guys to say that the ARRA bill (stimulus) didn't work when it did.

Why are you falling for this lie?
I use "work" in the sense that it didn't work as fully idealed by many economists and the Administration

Jonm1010 said:

Absolutely murdering Joe Walsh over his comments about not putting a dollar on the back of his kids when he is 117,000 late on child support despite taking extravagant vacations with his girlfriend and lending his campaign almost 50,000 dollars.
Didn't Joe Walsh run for President in 1980?

GhaleonEB

SlipperySlope said:
Perhaps you missed it, but I answered your question about the stimulus, here. You had said Obama did not compromise on the stimulus bill, when a large number of steep compromises were in fact made. I'm curious about your response.

Jonm1010

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
I use "work" in the sense that it didn't work as fully idealed by many economists and the Administration

I think the whole problem was one of my biggest gripes with Obama's presidency, most economists said that the stimulus needed to be two to three times the size that it was. Most political observers pointed out there is no second chance because it will become politically volatile.

He based the stimulus off rosy estimations of the economy and undershot what was needed even based off that rosy outlook.

As the Ezra article that interviewed moody pointed out, the economy was much worse than most forecasters had thought.

So you had a stimulus bill that not only was underpowered from its own rosy projections but extremely far away from the what the real economy would need. So as moody says, while it worked, it needed to be much, much larger. But Obama had one chance and he blew his load on an underpowered stimulus that skewed to much in favor of less effective stimulus.

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
Sounds like a nice conference to be at.
You missed nothing. Boehner trying to save his own career and give Republicans something to throw in the inevitable blame game when the crisis they have almost single-handedly manufactured bubbles over.
Fixed your post!

eznark said:
So glad to see her go, for now. Don't worry, she'll surely destroy Scott Brown.

I have a feeling Brown will be in the senate for awhile. Plus Warren doesn't seem like she'll connect with people. Doesn't strike me as the hand shaker type. Not to Croakley's level, but still

Loudninja

Nice Try! Senate Kills Boehner Debt Limit Bill — Preps Endgame To Avoid Default
As promised, all Senate Democrats aligned Friday night to kill the just-passed House Republican bill to raise the debt limit.

The roll call fell closely along party lines, 59-41, with all Democrats voting to table Speaker John Boehner's controversial bill, joined by several Republicans who also oppose that plan.

Now we enter a period of calm. Before midnight, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid hopes to introduce his own debt limit bill -- amended to include more spending cuts, and a few as-yet undisclosed carrots, to entice enough Republicans to overcome a filibuster and pass the legislation
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...---preps-endgame-to-avoid-default.php?ref=fpa

Averon

Loudninja said:
Nice Try! Senate Kills Boehner Debt Limit Bill — Preps Endgame To Avoid Default

As promised, all Senate Democrats aligned Friday night to kill the just-passed House Republican bill to raise the debt limit.

The roll call fell closely along party lines, 59-41, with all Democrats voting to table Speaker John Boehner's controversial bill, joined by several Republicans who also oppose that plan.

Now we enter a period of calm. Before midnight, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid hopes to introduce his own debt limit bill -- amended to include more spending cuts, and a few as-yet undisclosed carrots, to entice enough Republicans to overcome a filibuster and pass the legislation

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...---preps-endgame-to-avoid-default.php?ref=fpa

That sounds ominous.

eznark

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
I have a feeling Brown will be in the senate for awhile. Plus Warren doesn't seem like she'll connect with people. Doesn't strike me as the hand shaker type. Not to Croakley's level, but still

You guys need to stop doubting my cystal ball. The Brown seat will get a fuck-ton of money poured into it, Elizabeth Warren will cry on national television, and she will become a senator with 57% of the vote.

Bluth

I think Brown will be re-elelected, he does a pretty good job of staying at least somewhat likable to Democrats in Mass. and I think I read somewhere around like 97% of republicans in Mass. would vote to re-elect him. I wouldn't vote for him in a Coakley-Brown election, but I can see how others would.

thekad

Banned
eznark said:
You guys need to stop doubting my cystal ball. The Brown seat will get a fuck-ton of money poured into it, Elizabeth Warren will cry on national television, and she will become a senator with 57% of the vote.

Looks like the Democrats are going to flip the Wisconsin state senate. You need a new ball :p

eznark said:

Nah. Assuming Brown beats his tea party challenger (lawl) he'll be fine. He's popular with independents and hasn't done much of anything to piss them off. Plus considering youth/minority/etc turnout will be low, the electorate will tilt in his favor

Kusagari

I really doubt Brown's losing that seat. He's supported by the not so conservative Republicans in Mass and also has enough appeal to Democrats to pick up votes from them.

gkryhewy

Bluth said:
I think Brown will be re-elelected, he does a pretty good job of staying at least somewhat likable to Democrats in Mass. and I think I read somewhere around like 97% of republicans in Mass. would vote to re-elect him. I wouldn't vote for him in a Coakley-Brown election, but I can see how others would.
Scott Brown is among the more progressive democrats in the senate.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
thekad said:
Looks like the Democrats are going to flip the Wisconsin state senate. You need a new ball :p

Anybody know if that's ever happened before from recall elections?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Jonm1010 said:

<3 Lawrence. Can't wait to see it tonight.

Also, should see how brutal he was wtih Grover Norquist on Morning Joe yesterday. Spittin fire and such.

PhoenixDark said:
Nah. Assuming Brown beats his tea party challenger (lawl) he'll be fine. He's popular with independents and hasn't done much of anything to piss them off. Plus considering youth/minority/etc turnout will be low, the electorate will tilt in his favor

I'll concede that I've never been great at predicting electoral politics, but I can't imagine that a Democrat won't retake Brown's seat. His election was a fluke.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Jonm1010 said:
Is he like the new olbermann?

Sort of, I suppose. Though he's not really nearly as witty or a good speaker as he was. But at least he invites opposing people on his show, which I like.

empty vessel said:
I'll concede that I've never been great at predicting electoral politics, but I can't imagine that a Democrat won't retake Brown's seat. His election was a fluke.

I agree, he beat a horrible candidate who literally refused to shake voter's hands. But since the election he has carried himself well enough and has a "bipartisan" record. I think he'll hold his seat, especially considering the economy will be poor.

John King on CNN makes me want to kill myself.

'Part of the ritual to get a compromise' 'both parties have done this' 'I'm not criticizing the Democrats I'm not criticizing the Republicans' 'the game Washington always plays'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom