• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.
LM4sure said:
A flat tax rate. Just making something up, but lets say have everyone pay 20% in taxes. Someone who makes $10,000 a year will only have to pay $2,000. Someone who makes $5,000,000 a year will pay $1,000,000.

The wealthy person pays a lot more, but everyone is contributing. And the people that take advantage of those social programs are actually contributing something to fund them. Yah!!!
Others will explain this much better, but $2,000 out of $10,000 is a great deal more of a burden than $1,000,000 out of $5,000,000.

That is not "fair".

LM4sure said:
Then why does the majority of Americans not pay taxes? They are benefitting because they don't make much money. They shouldn't be given a free ride.

This is a false talking point. Everybody pays taxes. Sales tax, state tax, medicare and social security, and many more taxes. Just because folks may not pay income tax since their income is so low doesn't mean they're not paying taxes.

LM4sure

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Lets say you take a person making $40k a year who has a child. Take 20% of their income and they're down to $32k. Someone making $1 million a year would be down to $800k a year. Do you think that is fair?

Yes, the person making $1,000,000 a year has earned that income. It's not his/her fault that this other person is only making $40k. And that person making $40k will be taking advantage of all those social programs that the wealthy individual is not.

LM4sure said:
Then why does the majority of Americans not pay taxes? They are benefitting because they don't make much money. They shouldn't be given a free ride.
Majority of Americans don't pay taxes? You do realize that income tax isn't the only way the Federal Government pays for its services it provides right?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
LM4sure said:
If you're having such a hard life as a presumably well-to-do person (your definition may vary), why don't you quit your current job and move into an impoverished neighborhood, go work at McDonald's and take the bus or walk to work every day? Let us know how that free ride feels.

LM4sure said:
They don't make much money, therefore they are getting a free ride?

LM4sure said:
Yes, the person making $1,000,000 a year has earned that income. It's not his/her fault that this other person is only making $40k. And that person making $40k will be taking advantage of all those social programs that the wealthy individual is not.

Are you married? Any children? Do you live at home?

GhaleonEB

reilo said:
Heh, now Clinton is a 90's republican but five years ago everyone was sucking his dick when Bush was in charge. Like I said, revisionist history is a hell of a game to play.
I was referring to Obama, who is literally enacting policies proposed by Republicans in the 90's, namely such as the healthcare bill.

I was never under the illusion that Obama was a strong progressive, but let's not sugar coat the policies we have been seeing.

Veezy

que?
LM4sure said:
A flat tax rate. Just making something up, but lets say have everyone pay 20% in taxes. Someone who makes $10,000 a year will only have to pay $2,000. Someone who makes $5,000,000 a year will pay $1,000,000.

The wealthy person pays a lot more, but everyone is contributing. And the people that take advantage of those social programs are actually contributing something to fund them. Yah!!!
*Ahem*

Somebody making 10k a year a losing 2k in taxes has a total of 8k a year to live off.

Somebody making 5mil a year losing 1mil in taxes has a total of 4mil a year to live off.

Only one person is being burdened in this scenario. Also, one of these people benefits more from living in a rich country than the other. Also, one of these people will never want for anything while the other will become desperate. Shouldn’t take too long to figure out where this path leads.

Your argument is flawed and regressive.

Signed,
A member of the very low not-even-really-middle class.

LM4sure

Banned
reilo said:
If you're having such a hard life as a presumably well-to-do person (your definition may vary), why don't you quit your current job and move into an impoverished neighborhood, go work at McDonald's and take the bus or walk to work every day? Let us know how that free ride feels.

Haha, I don’t have to do that because I have an education and skills that the types of people that live there don’t. Yes, there quality of life is not as good, but they pay no taxes, get food stamps, free daycare, free education, etc etc. The list goes on. And what do they contribute for all that? Nothing. I can understand why the extremely wealthy find ways to avoid paying taxes.

Vestal

LM4sure said:
Most Americans say tax rich to balance budget: poll

JUST.LIKE.I.SAID.

Tax the middle class and then we'll see what the poll looks like!

If the middle class had the Income that the Rich had, I am sure they wouldn't mind.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
https://twitter.com/#!/fivethirtyeight/status/98086292058939392

"My latest extrapolation from @thehill's whip count: R's approve 153-87, D's against 59-132, bill FAILS 212-219."​

Veezy said:
*Ahem*

Somebody making 10k a year a losing 2k in taxes has a total of 8k a year to live off.

Somebody making 5mil a year losing 1mil in taxes has a total of 4mil a year to live off.

Only one person is being burdened in this scenario. Also, one of these people benefits more from living in a rich country than the other. Also, one of these people will never want for anything while the other will become desperate. Shouldn’t take too long to figure out where this path leads.

Your argument is flawed and regressive.

Signed,
A member of the very low not-even-really-middle class.
This has been your Once-Every-Ten-Pages Explanation of Marginal Utility of Income.

Thanks for playing, everyone.

reilo

GhaleonEB said:
I was referring to Obama, who is literally enacting policies proposed by Republicans in the 90's, namely such as the healthcare bill.

I was never under the illusion that Obama was a strong progressive, but let's not sugar coat the policies we have been seeing.
I don't disagree with that then. But my honest opinion is, if the economy was doing better and unemployment was under control, there wouldn't be a bunch of bitching and complaining from the lot of us.

Everything is relative. It's why everyone wants us to be in the 90s again. Not many are willing to admit that half of what Obama's agenda is trying to accomplish is trying to reverse the shit that Clinton let pass. If Obama is a 90's republican, then Clinton was Robert Taft.

LM4sure said:
Haha, I don’t have to do that because I have an education and skills that the types of people that live there don’t. Yes, there quality of life is not as good, but they pay no taxes, get food stamps, free daycare, free education, etc etc. The list goes on. And what do they contribute for all that? Nothing. I can understand why the extremely wealthy find ways to avoid paying taxes.
You are a piece of work. It must be nice to live in that comfortable bubble of yours.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
reilo said:
Heh, now Clinton is a 90's republican but five years ago everyone was sucking his dick when Bush was in charge. Like I said, revisionist history is a hell of a game to play.

This is what we are left with. As long as you change the history to make your opinion valid to yourself that's all that matters.

People are mad and angry and will make things up to make themselves feel a little better. That's the only reason I get think of that would make them lie like this.

PhoenixDark said:
So now that we've addressed our national debt in a bipartisan manner, now is the time to shift to jobs and put Americans back to work in a bipartisan manner. You know, now that deficit is no longer on the table. Right Obama?

You believe the government creates jobs? The same government that is 14.3 trillion dollars in debt? What a shitty business model.

polyh3dron said:
Hillary isn't black, therefore no Tea Party would have even existed.

This baseless claim needs to die in a fire. If you disagree with people on an ideological level, than have at it, but it is so intellectually lazy to throw out that line over and over. It's like an internet meme that people want to forcefully make true if they just repeat it enough times, because you know, a few people showed up at a Tea Party event with a racist sign or something.

To be clear, I am no Tea Party fan, or even a GOP fan, but I am a fan of reasoning and civil discourse.

LM4sure said:

What type of skills and education do you have?

LM4sure said:
........If everything is so free to them, then why is it that even with all those things they STILL find it hard to survive! Fuck, it's like talking to a brick wall with you. You have an agenda against the poor, nothing else needs to be said

mckmas8808

Lord_Byron28 said:
I would've loved to see how Hillary dealt with Sarah Palin and Michele Bachman. She likely would've been better in some ways and likely would've been a stronger(stubborn) leader.

And I'm 100% sure being stubborn would have made the GOP in the House vote to end the Bush tax cuts and sign on to tax increases this year.

Invisible_Insane said:
No need to make it personal. He refuses to engage substantively on the counters to his arguments, let's leave it there.

Who is making it personal? He said that he has skills and education that the poor do not. I think its a fair question. I am not getting personal nor am I attacking him. I am asking him a fair question. If he chooses to not answer that is fine. You don't need to get in the middle of it.

ToxicAdam

GhaleonEB said:

Let's be real here, those Republican health care reform policies were only proposed as counters to the more progressive Democrat one's that were floating around at the time. Progressive plans that never made it out of committee and were D.O.A. during Clinton's first term.

You don't really think if Bob Dole was elected in 1996 he would have came forward with his plan, do you? It was just a bullet point on his party's plank.

So, instead of condemning Obama for passing 'Republican policies', you should be praising him for getting a foot in the door and doing something that has never been done. That's what a pragmatist does.

LM4sure said:
How about making it fair to everyone. People categorized as middle class could pay a same percentage as a wealthy individual. The wealthy don't need to give their money way. Lets just say EVERYONE pays a fixed percentage. Then poor people can pay a fraction of a percentage of what a wealthy individual pays, but it would be fair. Wealthy people pay the most in taxes and the poor people are the ones benefitting from the social programs.
Why shouldn't people pay the percentage of wealth that they take from the country?

Your tax policy is unfair to the poorest of Americans and puts the majority of the tax burden on them. Just because all of the percentages are the same doesn't make it fundamentally fair.

LM4sure

Banned
reilo said:
You are a piece of work. It must be nice to live in that comfortable bubble of yours.

I'm a piece of work because I don't feel guilty about my situation when there are other people in worse off conditions than me? Well, I'm sorry; I don't feel guilty.

BotoxAgent said:
I don't believe you

If that helps you sleep at night, God bless you.

But I do need to get back to work. So it was a good discussion everyone. I'm super excited that taxes aren't being increased!! Whoever wants to give more than what they are taxed, do not fret! You can give the government a gift in excess of what you already pay in taxes! Just go to this link: http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/pd/gift/gift.htm

You're welcome!

LM4sure said:
How about making it fair to everyone. People categorized as middle class could pay a same percentage as a wealthy individual. The wealthy don't need to give their money way. Lets just say EVERYONE pays a fixed percentage. Then poor people can pay a fraction of a percentage of what a wealthy individual pays, but it would be fair. Wealthy people pay the most in taxes and the poor people are the ones benefitting from the social programs.
Flat Taxes are inapplicable. The rate at which everyone would need to be taxed would kill the poor and give us almost no gains. A flat rate would have to be upwards of 30-35%.

Veezy

que?
LM4sure said:
haha, are you serious?
I would be more than happy to pay 3 million in taxes, per year, if I earned an imcome of 5 million. You know why? Because I probably wouldn't have to work as hard. Or drive a Honda Accord.

The vast majority of super rich people got to where they were becuase of the fact the live in America and were lucky. I work hard, I bust my ass, and I'm not a millionare. Ya know what though, if I was, I wouldn't bitch about taxes.

I'll do you one better!

If I made a million a year I'd be willing to pay 800k in taxes. You know how happy I'd be with 200k a year to spend on shit? Jesus Christ, I'd be set for life on that.

You must not know what it's like to hurt to pay your bills. Trust me, I'd trade places with a BOA exective in a heart beat.

To clarify, I was not saying I was shocked at Obama revealing himself to be a 90s moderate republican. I was arguing the disappointment comes from him coming into office with such strong support and good will, only to piss most of it away with unimaginative policy.

I realize Wall Street didn't bankroll his campaign for nothing, I'm not suggesting I expected the moon and stars. But I would have never imagined Obama would enter office and be so neutered. Here's a guy with more command of oratory than most recent presidents, yet the WH seems unwilling to send him out until a deal is dead or dying and the narrative has already been set by republicans. Remember when Obama started doing town halls during the health care debate, and effectively explained things? Or when he was trotted out for the govt shutdown. Or more recently, think of how effectively he argued his point on the debt ceiling. In each case he arrived too late.

reilo

LM4sure said:
I'm a piece of work because I don't feel guilty about my situation when there are other people in worse off conditions than me? Well, I'm sorry; I don't feel guilty.

But I do need to get back to work. So it was a good discussion everyone. I'm super excited that taxes aren't being increased!! Whoever wants to give more than what they are taxed, do not fret! You can give the government a gift in excess of what you already pay in taxes! Just go to this link: http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/pd/gift/gift.htm

You're welcome!
You don't feel "guilt" because what you feel instead is "privilege". Of course you don't understand the plight of others because, presumably, you've never experienced it.

DasRaven

LM4sure said:

That's where you are wrong.

The people that don't pay Federal taxes are primarily those too young, old, or poor to garner significant income.
That's students(who'll eventually pay), the completely disabled, nursing home residents, and the homeless.

Outside that, everyone who works pays FICA (7.5%) and sales taxes regardless of income.
Federal income taxes are not the only taxes you know.

PhoenixDark said:
To clarify, I was not saying I was shocked at Obama revealing himself to be a 90s moderate republican. I was arguing the disappointment comes from him coming into office with such strong support and good will, only to piss most of it away with unimaginative policy.

I realize Wall Street didn't bankroll his campaign for nothing, I'm not suggesting I expected the moon and stars. But I would have never imagined Obama would enter office and be so neutered. Here's a guy with more command of oratory than most recent presidents, yet the WH seems unwilling to send him out until a deal is dead or dying and the narrative has already been set by republicans. Remember when Obama started doing town halls during the health care debate, and effectively explained things? Or when he was trotted out for the govt shutdown. Or more recently, think of how effectively he argued his point on the debt ceiling. In each case he arrived too late.

He basically became a reactionary president. Reacting to Rush, Beck, Tea Party, Palin, etc.

Jak140

LM4sure said:
So wealthy people should be punished because they're extremely successful? Uhhhh...yeah, that's fair!!
most people are born into poverty while a select few are born into wealth and connected families. yeah that's fair! clearly taxing the wealthy more than a family living paycheck to paycheck is unfair even while still leaving the rich with far more than they will ever need or use. clearly janitorial and construction work is far easier than just investing the amount of wealth you already have into gold and oil and should be taxed more than capital gains. yeah that's fair! it's not like the problem with the economy right now is that not enough people have money to spend or anything or that the rich would benefit from an improved economy as much as everyone else. no clearly we cannot tax the rich more because it is just too unfucking fair even if it would improve things for everyone.

Meadows said:
Are you gonna default? Is that what looks likely if this bill fails?

God, the United States of America defaulting. Mental.
We're not actually going to default. We're just going to run the country 40% under budget for a while. Fun times.

Did Treasury put out the priorities list out yet?

reilo

Hey now, Mitt Romney doesn't deserve to pay more in taxes because he earned that money by buying up smaller businesses into a larger conglomerate and then laying people off from that smaller business to make a profit and increase his portfolio. A true American hero. We cannot punish him by making him pay more taxes. That would be deftly cruel.

Or something.

Can we stop treating rich people like saints? This idea that rich people worked harder and were more productive is just asinine to me.

KtSlime

LM4sure said:
So how did you get that education?

PhoenixDark said:

I think the Campaign rhetoric blinded even himself to the realities of the situation he was getting himself into. I genuinely believe that he was going to do what we all wanted, but the games of politics in Washington hit him hard.

BruiserBear said:
This baseless claim needs to die in a fire. If you disagree with people on an ideological level, than have at it, but it is so intellectually lazy to throw out that line over and over. It's like an internet meme that people want to forcefully make true if they just repeat it enough times, because you know, a few people showed up at a Tea Party event with a racist sign or something.

To be clear, I am by no Tea Party fan, or even a GOP fan, but I am a fan of reasoning and civil discourse.
Oh come on, when the first tea party protests were happening it was all about Chairman Maobama, the kenyan muslim atheist fascist socialist who was some kind of Manchurian Antichrist Candidate. Don't do that bullshit revisionist history where the whole tea party movement was made up of everydat normal Americans who were all about reducing the federal deficit. All these old white people crying saying that they felt like they lost their country and they wanted their country back right after Obama was elected, that shit was so transparent it was ridiculous.

The "Tea Party" was a reaction of racist people who were threatened by a black President. The claim is far from baseless, there is a shitload of evidence to support it.

Jak140 said:
most people are born into poverty while a select few are born into wealth and connected families. yeah that's fair!.
Hey, they lifted themselves up from their own bootstraps and worked hard to get into that womb.

Dude Abides

Banned
DasRaven said:
That's where you are wrong.

The people that don't pay Federal taxes are primarily those too young, old, or poor to garner significant income.
That's students(who'll eventually pay), the completely disabled, nursing home residents, and the homeless.

Outside that, everyone who works pays FICA (7.5%) and sales taxes regardless of income.
Federal income taxes are not the only taxes you know.

This has been pointed out to him several times and he's studiously ignored it. Why, it's almost as if he's more interested in parroting talking points than an intellectually honest debate!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Veezy said:
I would be more than happy to pay 3 million in taxes, per year, if I earned an imcome of 5 million. You know why? Because I probably wouldn't have to work as hard. Or drive a Honda Accord.

The vast majority of super rich people got to where they were becuase of the fact the live in America and were lucky. I work hard, I bust my ass, and I'm not a millionare. Ya know what though, if I was, I wouldn't bitch about taxes.

I'll do you one better!

If I made a million a year I'd be willing to pay 800k in taxes. You know how happy I'd be with 200k a year to spend on shit? Jesus Christ, I'd be set for life on that.

You must not know what it's like to hurt to pay your bills. Trust me, I'd trade places with a BOA exective in a heart beat.

This right here. In fact, I'd be willing to put up 4 million if I had 5 million a year in income.

mckmas8808

BruiserBear said:
You believe the government creates jobs? The same government that is 14.3 trillion dollars in debt? What a shitty business model.

How can you or anybody else sit there and think that the gov't doesn't create jobs? It does create jobs and you know it! Your statement is wrong. There's no room for an opinion on this.

My first point to how I can prove that you are wrong is for you to look at military spending.

Meadows

Banned
Does it bother US PoliGAF how many positive changes to your country have been blocked on account of them being "Un-American"?

besada

Banned
reilo said:
That's entirely false. Every piece of his agenda that has come through both houses has had a majority approval (50%+). I can't be the only one that remembers the much much stronger legislation that passed the house and then was destroyed in the senate because 49 > 5x, can I? Do we not remember the healthcare bill that the house passed?

Actually, my point is that he's a bad leader, period. That includes an inability to get his own side to join him on a host of issues (including getting rid of the filibuster), his inability to get the American people to join him, and his inability to get the Republicans to join him. The President's job is to convince everyone he's right, whether they like him or not. He hasn't been great at keeping his own party in line, and he's been terrible at doing what needs to be done to get Republicans to back down, and he's been pretty poor at getting the American people on his side.

You apparently don't remember when there were 60 votes in the Democratic caucus, and he was unable to convince them to do what he wanted. Talk about revisionist history.

It can ring as hollow as it wants, but you've still never addressed the core issue, which is his ineffective leadership. You won't, because you know true. So instead, you focus on everyone but him, and rattle on about how hard he's had it, as if this was some surprise to anyone.

You keep talking about the filibuster, but you had no answer to my question regarding why he didn't slap the fuck out of Reid for letting it go on. You have no answer for why he's been unable to get the American people behing him in significant numbers to change the playing field. It's because you know what I'm saying is true, but it's more convenient to pretend I'm excusing Republicans than to acknowledge that leadership isn't one of Obama's strong suits.

I agree with you on virtually everything regarding the shittyness of both sides of Congress. I've said as much repeatedly. But those are the tools that exist. Even when your tools are two snarling weasels that would just as soon see you dead as deal with you, it's a poor craftsman that blames his tools. If he is unable to deal with the political system as it exists, then he's not the right guy for the job. It's that simple. I know you've apparently missed the many points in this discussion where I've said that he has many admirable qualities, likely because you were too busy inventing fictions about my feelings towards Clinton, but I wasn't joking about them.

He's probably my second favorite Democratic President of my lifetime, right behind Jimmy Carter, another ineffectual leader. I think Clinton was a shitstain. My favorite Republican? George Bush, Sr. another bad leader who got routed after one term. My personal feelings about all of these men have very little to do with how effective they were. The reality is that good people get ground up in politics and shitheads prosper.

It's a terrible system, and I'd never suggest it wasn't. I've spent decades working to make it a better system, with very little effect. But you can't rebuild a car while you're driving it. You have to do one or the other, and the Presidency is a postion that requires you to drive, not tinker.

Edit: The frustrating thing is that you and I agree on nearly everything. There's nothing you've said about the horror we call modern government that I haven't said in the past, and that I won't say in the future. I've never voted Republican, and it seems increasingly unlikely I ever will. The one time the Democratic party put someone up I couldn't stomach, I voted socialist. I'm just not willing to give the President a pass to the extent you seem to be. I'm not sure why people feel the need to reflexively defend him by regurgitating what we already know about the brokeness of the system and the ugliness of the opposition. But all it does is insure that you're going to keep getting guys more interested in doing it right than getting it done. When this is all done, you're going to write up histories that portray him as a uniquely embattled President, and the rest of the country is going to remember him as Jimmy Carter 2.0. Since I've actually lived that frustration, I'll leave you to have your own experience with it and catch up with you in a couple of decades, when you've figured out that the President's weakness is responsible for some of the very problems that are crippling him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom