• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canova

Banned
loosus said:
Exactly what could he have done? Really? He didn't have the numbers in Congress -- not even close.

We Americans put radicals in place. When you have radicals that ARE NOT GOING TO COMPROMISE AT ALL, it doesn't matter what you do.

he has the constitutional power to raise the debt ceiling without the congress

Dude Abides

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
"The best way to increase revenue in this government is to get the government out of the way and let the private sector create jobs"

I want to punch rep franks through my TV

If standard conservative boilerplate makes you this upset you are gonna have health problems if you keep following politics.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
says we'll face a national security and constitutional crisis if we re-elect obama

Holy shit.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
"We've just been trying so hard to work together with the democrats and the white house... :("

loosus

Banned
Canova said:
he has the constitutional power to raise the debt ceiling without the congress
There was no reason to go there, though. Besides what you're saying being totally debatable, it's just a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened to begin with because it sets a dangerous precedent.

I am not blaming Obama. Honestly, I can't even totally blame the radical Tea Partiers. I have to place most blame on the dumfuck public. Honestly, the Partiers aren't doing anything they haven't been told to.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The graduate student loans change is absolutely ridiculous. How about making some legislation to cap tuition or at least make some moves to lower it instead of screwing over students.

Also, this gem:

Congress would also nix a special credit for all students who make 12 months of on-time loan payments.

Canada is becoming a serious option for me in the near future.

NewLib

Banned
I just cant see Obama winning. His base is completely abandoning him and I dont think this is a short term thing. He has persistently went against the interest of the people who voted him for almost three years now.

So here is the real question: If Obama loses, then Democrats are not winning the House and they are losing the Senate. How much damage can the Republicans do completely unchecked even if its for two years?

loosus said:
Here's another thing to remember: with fewer people going to grad school, that it eventually going to lead to a loss in graduate programs -- guaranteed. Some programs -- even if you can afford to attend -- are simply not going to exist because grad schools must have numbers. College programs exist because society as a whole wants those programs, not because individuals want them.
So less people will choose to go to grad school because of this?

thefro

loosus said:
Here's another thing to remember: with fewer people going to grad school, that it eventually going to lead to a loss in graduate programs -- guaranteed. Some programs -- even if you can afford to attend -- are simply not going to exist because grad schools must have numbers. College programs exist because society as a whole wants those programs, not because individuals want them.

Plenty of international students who will fill up those programs.

Zzoram

NewLib said:
I just cant see Obama winning. His base is completely abandoning him and I dont think this is a short term thing. He has persistently went against the interest of the people who voted him for almost three years now.

So here is the real question: If Obama loses, then Democrats are not winning the House and they are losing the Senate. How much damage can the Republicans do completely unchecked even if its for two years?

If you think Obama is bad, imagine how far Romney or Perry would go against the interest of Obama supporters.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
This is just fucking pathetic. Obama and the Dems have no balls, whatsoever. I'm sitting here trying to think how did the Repubs lose in anyway because of this bill, and I can't see it. Yeah, there's some defense cutting, but they can use that to make Obama look soft.

It makes you wonder if the Dems even care, or if they just have the same interests as the Repubs, but act like they don't.

loosus

Banned
thefro said:
I bet you're going to be surprised, especially as China and other countries slowly start training more of their own people rather than relying on the U.S. and Europe for college.

There are graduate programs teetering on shutdown now because of low enrollment compared to their undergraduate brethren.

thefro said:
We need to give green cards to all the science, math, engineering, etc. students that get degrees. We need them to power our economy.

Those ipads and iphones are not being designed by your average American college graduate.

Zzoram said:
If you think Obama is bad, imagine how far Romney or Perry would go against the interest of Obama supporters.
Bases on both sides get energized and get out the vote is more important than anything. If your party's candidate doesn't excite the base, "vote for me because the other guy would be worse" isn't a winning strategy for anyone.

Thoraxes

balladofwindfishes said:
last minute deal!

Graduate students who get government loans after 2012 have to gain interest while in school.
You are no longer able to defer payments on graduate student loans as of 2012. I repeat, as of 2012, SUBSIDIZED GOVERNMENT GRADUATE STUDENT LOANS ARE NO MORE

the hell?
http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/01/news/economy/debt_ceiling_students/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2

This was done to save the Pell Grant CNN says.
This is going to cause a major spike in the cost of school, almost immediately 5,000 dollars a year!
Wow, holy fuck this is terrible.
I'm glad I decided to go straight to grad. school right after I got my undergrad. There would be no fucking way i'd be able to go without that money. Next year will be the last year to qualify for them if the July 1st date is solid, so i'll just barely scrape by and get my degree in Spring 2013.

MechaX

Kusagari said:
I guess we're about to see a lot less people going to law school.

At the very least, the people in my grade will have one more year to go by the time shit bill kicks in (and since third year is apparently the easiest, working during school is an option).

I feel absolutely sorry for the next two years who decide to go into law school both with the student loan situation in effect and the already shit legal job market.

Hell, I'm actually glad I decided to jump straight in without working for a few years after ungrad at this point!

loosus

Banned
Here's the upshot: there's a possibility that students only have to put up with this shit for about a year if they play their cards right. This is reversible.

But who am I kidding. You can't help spoiled brats who won't help themselves.

Thoraxes

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
So you're giving up on grad school because of this? Thats craziness.
It'll probably be physically impossible for a lot of people to go now. The 20k goes a long way in helping with grad school even with an assistantship.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
thefro said:

I have a feeling that in the very near future America is not going to be as big of a draw for foreign students because of our economy.

Xdrive05

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
So you're giving up on grad school because of this? Thats craziness.

Hyperbole on my part, but still.

Depending on the interest we're talking about, this could be a bank breaker and a risk not worth losing my house over.

Plinko

The thing that really worries me about a GOP-controlled Congress would be a reversal of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Act.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Canova said:
Only the supreme courts could stop him, if I'm not mistaken. But in this case there's no way the courts would let America default.

We don't know what the courts would do.

MechaX

Plinko said:
The thing that really worries me about a GOP-controlled Congress would be a reversal of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Act.

That would pretty much destroy almost all incentive to even go into Public Interest work if that happened. I would say they wouldn't be that crazy, but...

Xdrive05 said:
Hyperbole on my part, but still.

Depending on the interest we're talking about, this could be a bank breaker and a risk not worth losing my house over.
I heard that at the maximum amount borrowed ($20,500?) the interest could reach $500/year.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Thoraxes said:
It'll probably be physically impossible for a lot of people to go now. The 20k goes a long way in helping with grad school even with an assistantship.
20K? It's $8,500 a year in subsidized student loans. You can still take out the money, but now you have to pay the interest that accumulates on it during your years of school. It essentially adds up to 10K (or even more, depending on how much you borrow, and you defer) of extra money that you would owe after you graduate.

NewLib said:

I've been saying since the health care reform fiasco that he has a small chance of being re elected. I think a lot of the left perceives him as spineless and the right has rallied since his election.

gkryhewy

Thoraxes said:
What 20k? The loans aren't going away, you're just going to be responsible for interest while in school. You're talking about a several thousand dollar difference over the course of a graduate program. Yes, it's obnoxious, but it's probably not going to change anyone's mind given that they're already open to borrowIng six figures.

Thoraxes

SoulPlaya said:
20K? It's $8,500 a year in subsidized student loans. You can still take out the money, but now you have to pay the interest that accumulates on it during your years of school. It essentially adds up to 10K (or even more, depending on how much you borrow, and you defer) of extra money that you would owe after you graduate.
gkryhewy said:
What 20k? The loans aren't going away, you're just going to be responsible for interest while in school. You're talking about a several thousand dollar difference over the course of a graduate program. Yes, it's obnoxious, but it's probably not going to change anyone's mind given that they're already open to borrowIng six figures.

Ah sorry, I meant the overall 20k you would get from both loans. I know it's only $8,500 as that's how much I got this year.

I think the main problem with that too, is that once you are a masters student, you are considered an independent, even though someone else may claim you on their taxes.

I'm just glad I won't have to take out another loan just to pay interest on my federal loans.

I'm just glad I make it out before too. I would hate to have to use my stipend on interest, and can instead use it on my studies and living expenses.

gkryhewy

Thoraxes said:
Ah sorry, I meant the overall 20k you would get from both loans. I know it's only $8,500 as that's how much I got this year.

I think the main problem with that too, is that once you are a masters student, you are considered an independent, even though someone else may claim you on their taxes.

I'm just glad I won't have to take out another loan just to pay interest on my federal loans.

I'm just glad I make it out before too. I would hate to have to use my stipend on interest, and can instead use it on my studies and living expenses.
I'm assuming students aren't going to have to actually pay their in-school interest as they go. Probably the amount of unsubsidized staffords available will increase by $8,500 to compensate, so interest will just accrue in the background and be capitalized at the end of the grace period.

rSpooky

Politicians best heed this warning:
" Education is a better safeguard of liberty than a standing army. "
- Edward Everett Hale

Then again maybe to some that is the point ....

mj1108

Plinko said:

A GOP controlled Congress is one of the worst things that can happen to this country. Give them even a little bit of power and they will continue to take this country down the toilet.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
gkryhewy said:
I'm assuming students aren't going to have to actually pay their in-school interest as they go. Probably the amount of unsubsidized staffords available will increase by $8,500 to compensate, so interest will just accrue in the background and be capitalized at the end of the grace period.
Exactly right.

BTW, you should be happy that you're classified as an independent. That usually means that you generally qualify for more loans and grants.

Thoraxes

SoulPlaya said:
Exactly right.

BTW, you should be happy that you're classified as an independent. That usually means that you generally qualify for more loans and grants.
Only through FASFA though, everything else i'm still considered a dependent.
I'm actually poor enough to get the full Stafford limit even if my parents did claim me (which I did in my undergrad and received full Pell money). The only reason i'm even able to go to grad school is because I have an assistantship.

I do understand how good it is for other people who come from backgrounds with more money though. They will still receive the help they need, which is great.

entremet

Chipper up guys. These tactics are pretty much the death throes of the modern Republican party. Demographic trends are gonna be hard to overcome.

I've voten republican before, but I'm done with its current incarnation.

lo escondido

Apartheid is, in fact, not institutional racism
entrement said:
Chipper up guys. These tactics are pretty much the death throes of the modern Republican party. Demographic trends are gonna be hard to overcome.

These changes won't really have that much of an effect untill the 20s or 30s though.

And on your second point is it bad to want a viable republican party (like the one of Nixon, Ford, even Bush I)? I consider myself a democrat but I wouldn't want 40 years or so of uninterrupted democratic control, its just not healthy. I mean I think some traditional republican ideas of distrust of government is a valid and much needed thing but I can't help but just hate the entire party right now. They just want their radical agenda passed. Its frustrating

Chichikov

entrement said:
And remember, they can only make big cuts when the dems are in office (or at the very least voting for those cuts too).
Under Bush they had control of all branches of the government, a president with a 70% approval rating and they still couldn't privatize social security.

entrement said:

Not when after the next elections Repubs will control both house and senate. Liberals and Progressives stayed home last election and we are seeing the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom