• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

lo escondido

Apartheid is, in fact, not institutional racism
cartoon_soldier said:
Not when after the next elections Repubs will control both house and senate. Liberals and Progressives stayed home last election and we are seeing the results.

He's not I don't think saying that it will happen soon (next two election cycles) but in the next 10 or 20 years. The baby boomers will eventually pass on and unless the republicans change how will they gain power with a minority majority?

The younger generation doesn't participate in politics but eventually there won't be the "old folks" that vote against them. They will be the "old folks" and their ideas about government and politics are being formed.

I think its important to look at history. Those that grew up in the depression saw how government could help. These people were the FDR dems, and they ruled and elected politicians until about the regan revolution. Those born then and who saw regan lead the nation were influenced by him, they now run the government (or at least elect it). What I think is the question is how are the young people's views being formed today (I think most people's political outlooks are pretty much fixed in their 20s and 30s, I don't think the old adage about getting older and more conservative really is true except on social issues). Will they see the dying middle class and seek liberal ideas or will they see the giant debt as a reason to prevent massive spending. I don't know which will be more important and formative in the eyes of young people today but we'll see in 20 or 30 years.

Did anyone in the 70s or 80s really know what was going to be happening now?

entremet

Exactly. The modern day republican party are dinosaurs in terms of policy. Low voter turn out benefits Republicans, so I'm not surprised at the midterm elections.

lo escondido said:
He's not I don't think saying that it will happen soon (next two election cycles) but in the next 10 or 20 years. The baby boomers will eventually pass on and unless the republicans change how will they gain power with a minority majority?
The senate :(

What would you do if your company made $11.5 billion in profits in a 6 month period?

If you chose "fire 30,000 employees" then a bonus for you!

LONDON (Reuters) - HSBC will shed 30,000 jobs as it retreats from countries where it is struggling to compete, Europe's biggest bank said on Monday after it reported a surprise rise in first-half profit.

Shares in HSBC rose over 4 percent after it unveiled first-half pretax profits of $11.5 billion, up from $11.1 billion a year ago and better than the $10.8 billion average in a Reuters poll of analysts.

The bank also said it had cut 5,000 jobs following restructuring of operations in Latin America, the United States, Britain, France and the Middle East and that it would cut another 25,000 between now and 2013.

"There will be further job cuts," Chief Executive Stuart Gulliver told reporters on a conference call. "There will be something like 25,000 roles eliminated between now and the end of 2013."

The cuts equate to roughly 10 percent of HSBC's total workforce. They come on top of planned reductions in overall headcount in a program of disposals that also forms part of a plan to focus on HSBC's Asian operations.

http://news.yahoo.com/hsbc-posts-surprise-profit-rise-shares-jump-083415574.html

WTF is wrong with this planet?

While the GOP's social agenda is certainly dying, their draconian economic agenda is alive and well. There's always going to be a group of people who feel if the government just stayed out of their lives they could be a business owner instead of a low education plumber.

If the GOP can get rid of their anti-immigrant shit and tempt some Hispanics to the supply side of things, they'll be in good condition.

Kusagari

entrement said:
Exactly. The modern day republican party are dinosaurs in terms of policy. Low voter turn out benefits Republicans, so I'm not surprised at the midterm elections.

The thing is those midterm elections could completely fuck us over. The Republicans getting the House and Senate is a virtual certainty. Obama's the only thing standing in the way of them owning Washington

loosus

Banned
The really scary thing about the fiscal policy is that some people just don't believe anything that others tell them. They really don't. So, when someone says that not reaching a debt deal would be immediately catastrophic, they do not believe it.

It may actually take having a complete meltdown of the U.S. to truly turn around opinions. The downside to that, of course, is that -- because a lot of what makes a government work is trust -- the damage would then be done and be irreversible for literally decades.

So pick your poison: (a) keep fighting stupidity and let them slowly chip away at the U.S., never quite satisfied because their own circumstances are still shitty and they have a "if we chipped away just a little more" attitude or (b) let a complete meltdown happen in one-fell swoop, potentially enlightening them on the stupidity of their ways but making the U.S. basically not open for business. We're fucked either way.

Kusagari said:
The thing is those midterm elections could completely fuck us over. The Republicans getting the House and Senate is a virtual certainty. Obama's the only thing standing in the way of them owning Washington
The Democrats could pick up the house again

Why are we so sure they'll keep the house?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
balladofwindfishes said:
The Democrats could pick up the house again

Why are we so sure they'll keep the house?

One thing that makes me think they will keep it if the district setup we have currently...

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
entrement said:
Exactly. The modern day republican party are dinosaurs in terms of policy.
I struggle to even see what their policies are beyond refusing to raise taxes under any circumstance, and cutting government spending to the core (but not defense, of course). I don't know how any rational person can, in good faith, identify themselves with the current Republican party.

lo escondido

Apartheid is, in fact, not institutional racism
PhoenixDark said:
While the GOP's social agenda is certainly dying, their draconian economic agenda is alive and well. There's always going to be a group of people who feel if the government just stayed out of their lives they could be a business owner instead of a low education plumber.

If the GOP can get rid of their anti-immigrant shit and tempt some Hispanics to the supply side of things, they'll be in good condition.

The only way that people would continue to vote them in would be if their plans work. People don't vote just because they are tricked that way.

I know of GAF a lot of people post graphs and do economic analysis and debate the merits of certain policy but most voters just go with what they see.

People can argue that the stimulus was effective (I think it was) but what everyday people see is climbing unemployment. They don't sit their and think about what caused it, they want solutions. The real reason might be that republicans have been obstructing everything but like they said they just want the damn thing fixed. The middle class has been dying for at least a decade right now and that is under a democrat and republican president. If the republican ideas are really as bad as I and many others think they are if they were ever put to a test (like if they won the election) and they failed they would be in the same place as the dems in 2010.

Don't act like anything is set in stone for the future. We don't know anything. Who in 2004 thought that the next election was going to be won by a black guy from Illinois who father was a muslim and who would finally pass a health care bill? Do you also remember the RIP conservatism articles in november of 2008. And even farther back did you know the democrats were the party of state's rights and limiting the federal government at one point? I mean Jackson one of the forefathers of the Democratic Party was really crappy on minority rights (indians), closed the central bank, and paid off the federal debt,. Republicans were the first party that embraced, fought for and elected blacks it also was the party where progressiveness first was really established into a political party. things change

I share in your fits of depression about politics and the state of the country but I also have a weird optimism that our best days are not behind us. Maybe our days of being the only superpower and being able to unilaterally act on the world stage but I still belief that the best days for america are ahead. And I don't even think that a republican congress and presidency for a few years would change that.

I think the best time to look at for the future is the turn of the 20th century. America was just finding its place in the world. This time were readjusting our place and direction.

Wow that went a little off track from my initial point and replying to your post but it was a bit cathartic.

eznark

Banned
So I assume the vote passed. Was Nate Silver close?

Pulls up wsjonline

Oh shit, that's awesome. I'm a cynical bastard but what a cool picture that is.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
lo escondido said:
The only way that people would continue to vote them in would be if their plans work. People don't vote just because they are tricked that way.

I know of GAF a lot of people post graphs and do economic analysis and debate the merits of certain policy but most voters just go with what they see.
I would argue the opposite and say voters go with what they are told, both by politicians who have no problem lying, and the media, who has no problem letting them get away with it.
People can argue that the stimulus was effective (I think it was) but what everyday people see is climbing unemployment. They don't sit their and think about what caused it, they want solutions. The real reason might be that republicans have been obstructing everything but like they said they just want the damn thing fixed. The middle class has been dying for at least a decade right now and that is under a democrat and republican president. If the republican ideas are really as bad as I and many others think they are if they were ever put to a test (like if they won the election) and they failed they would be in the same place as the dems in 2010.
First of all, Republicans (and Democrats, but not to the same extent IMO) consistently say one thing and do the other. Republicans in the 2010 midterms told the public they were going to focus on creating jobs once they were elected. As soon as they got their majority in the House, they did nothing of the sort. In fact McConnell said it explicitly: the Republicans 1st priority was to make Obama a one-term president. I would hope the American public would see through all the bullshit, but more often than not, they don't. A lot of the reason why is for my first point above about the media.

Second, to the bolded: We had 8 years under Bush to see how effective conservative government policies are. Turns out they're absolutely shit for a healthy economy. Those policies haven't changed.

lo escondido said:

Yes, they do. We had 8 years of failed conservative legislation and governing, and yet here we are with republicans successfully running on the exact same platform. When the economy is poor, the other guy always looks better, regardless of how bad or ineffective his policy has proven to be over the years.

Don't act like anything is set in stone for the future. We don't know anything. Who in 2004 thought that the next election was going to be won by a black guy from Illinois who father was a muslim and who would finally pass a health care bill? Do you also remember the RIP conservatism articles in november of 2008. And even farther back did you know the democrats were the party of state's rights and limiting the federal government at one point? I mean Jackson one of the forefathers of the Democratic Party was really crappy on minority rights (indians), closed the central bank, and paid off the federal debt,. Republicans were the first party that embraced, fought for and elected blacks it also was the party where progressiveness first was really established into a political party. things change

I share in your fits of depression about politics and the state of the country but I also have a weird optimism that our best days are not behind us. Maybe our days of being the only superpower and being able to unilaterally act on the world stage but I still belief that the best days for america are ahead. And I don't even think that a republican congress and presidency for a few years would change that.

I think the best time to look at for the future is the turn of the 20th century. America was just finding its place in the world. This time were readjusting our place and direction.

Wow that went a little off track from my initial point and replying to your post but it was a bit cathartic.

America is done, dude. Both parties have been more than willing to sit back and watch as the middle class is systematically dismantled. And as the parties undercut each other, China keeps on trucking. India keeps on trucking. And guess who'll be left behind again when green jobs, infrastructure, electric cars, etc start hitting their stride? America exists to police the world and make profits for Wall Street and big corporations. Until that status quo is challenged, we'll continue to fall, and the presidency will switch from party to party, each candidate promising to restore America to past glory while being bankrolled by the very people who don't want to see that happen.

Businesses are sitting on billions in profits right now. I realize demand is low and the mortgage crisis is still taking its toll, but corporations are constantly moving their business or profits overseas while the US falters. This isn't rocket science, it's deliberate. These guys got away with the biggest global heist in world history, and are already doing the same shit again.

Celsior

jamesinclair said:
What would you do if your company made $11.5 billion in profits in a 6 month period?

If you chose "fire 30,000 employees" then a bonus for you!

http://news.yahoo.com/hsbc-posts-surprise-profit-rise-shares-jump-083415574.html

WTF is wrong with this planet?
In the US they are closing only like closing 13 total banks, the rest of being sold to First Niagara.
http://www.ntn24news.com/news/hsbc-shutting-down-under-performing-us-branches
Most of the 1,900 workers at the 195 HSBC branches are expected to keep their jobs, including at branches that are sold, First Niagara said.

USA branch not helping the company so they sold half of it off. Nothing to bad.

markatisu

cartoon_soldier said:
Not when after the next elections Repubs will control both house and senate. Liberals and Progressives stayed home last election and we are seeing the results.

Midterms and Presidential Elections are vastly different

Rarely do liberals and progressives come out in force for Midterms which is why we have such a fucked up situation now.

Its not some new idea either, its been that way for the last few decades. Youth, minority, independent, middle of the road voters tend to come out in much greater force in presidential election years.

>_>

So Paetec was going to build their global HQ in Rochester, NY and they just HAD to have this prime city plot that had an old, beloved shopping center built onto it. After much debate, the local government decided the economy was worth more than a landmark and offered to demolish the land as long as Paetec agreed to build their HQ there and bring x amount of jobs to Rochester.

Cue 2 years later

Paetec gets sold today for almost 900 million.
The new company has no interest in building their HQ in Rochester anymore.
The landmark is now half demolished
The contract is void because the company was sold and that was not written into the city's contract.

...and now we have a giant half pile of dirt, half abandoned building in the middle of the prime spot of the city, in ownership limbo that won't be settled for years.

But of course this is just good business right? I mean, these are just numbers, it's not like the shopping center meant anything to millions of people and had people literally crying when they made the deal.

Just numbers, business as usual. Being frugal and all that. The new company should be rewarded for doing the best economical choice!

>_>

... and then it's wondered why I'm far left and hate and distrust every single publically traded corporation on the planet. THOSE types of things.

Chichikov

eznark said:
Oh shit, that's awesome. I'm a cynical bastard but what a cool picture that is.
It would've been cooler had she voted the right way.

PhoenixDark said:
America is done, dude. Both parties have been more than willing to sit back and watch as the middle class is systematically dismantled. And as the parties undercut each other, China keeps on trucking. India keeps on trucking. And guess who'll be left behind again when green jobs, infrastructure, electric cars, etc start hitting their stride? America exists to police the world and make profits for Wall Street and big corporations. Until that status quo is challenged, we'll continue to fall, and the presidency will switch from party to party, each candidate promising to restore America to past glory while being bankrolled by the very people who don't want to see that happen.

Businesses are sitting on billions in profits right now. I realize demand is low and the mortgage crisis is still taking its toll, but corporations are constantly moving their business or profits overseas while the US falters. This isn't rocket science, it's deliberate. These guys got away with the biggest global heist in world history, and are already doing the same shit again.
Well, if Obama and Harry Reid can't fix it, no one can!

p.s.
The only thing you really need to fix is campaign reform.

eznark

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
>_>

So Paetec was going to build their global HQ in Rochester, NY and they just HAD to have this prime city plot that had an old, beloved shopping center built onto it. After much debate, the local government decided the economy was worth more than a landmark and offered to demolish the land as long as Paetec agreed to build their HQ there and bring x amount of jobs to Rochester.

Cue 2 years later

The contract is void because the company was sold and that was not written into the city's contract.

...and now we have a giant half pile of dirt, half abandoned building in the middle of the prime spot of the city, in ownership limbo that won't be settled for years.

But of course this is just good business right? I mean, these are just numbers, it's not like the shopping center meant anything to millions of people and had people literally crying when they made the deal.

Just numbers, business as usual. Being frugal and all that. The new company should be rewarded for doing the best economical choice!

>_>

... and then it's wondered why I'm far left and hate and distrust every single publically traded corporation on the planet. THOSE types of things.

I'd blame the local government for being idiotic, personally. (Like when Harley pretty much pulled the same shit)

balladofwindfishes said:
>_>

Cue 2 years later

>_>

Being an hour away I feel for you. Western NY unite to fight this bullshit!

The republicans can fucking burn alive. Fuck em all.

"American exceptionalism" my fucking ass, what a terrible world power for this planet to have.

eznark

Banned
Kitschkraft said:

"American exceptionalism" my fucking ass, what a terrible world power for this planet to have.
A5NxPl.jpg

Mike M

Nick N
balladofwindfishes said:
>_>

Cue 2 years later

>_>

If I recall correctly, the case yielded the decision from the SCOTUS that imminent domain could be used to seize people's homes to sell to a private corporation had a similar ending where people were evicted and their homes destroyed only for Pfizer to change their mind and not build there after all.

ToxicAdam

Kitschkraft said:

It's more cathartic if you pretend Republicans are your parents. Let all the anger out.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Dechaios said:
Wow. Jon Stewart just destroyed the Tea Party. You could tell he was pretty angry.

Damn me not having cable right now. I look forward to watching it online tomorrow (or tonight if I stay up late enough.)

Joe

daily show put a lot of debt ceiling stuff into perspective. it's hard for me to think all of the "negotiating", posturing, and general outcome of it all wasn't at least generally premeditated.

Puddles

Banned
NewLib said:
I just cant see Obama winning. His base is completely abandoning him and I dont think this is a short term thing. He has persistently went against the interest of the people who voted him for almost three years now.

And you know the rage that drives them. That impossible anger strangling their grief until the memory of Obama's campaign is just poison in their veins.

eznark

Banned
Puddles said:
And you know the rage that drives them. That impossible anger strangling their grief until the memory of Obama's campaign is just poison in their veins.

You guys aren't taking this nearly serious enough.

Puddles

Banned
speculawyer said:
We need to give green cards to all the science, math, engineering, etc. students that get degrees. We need them to power our economy.

Those ipads and iphones are not being designed by your average American college graduate.

I'd rather those universities just took more American students. Is UCLA's lofty academic status really going to suffer if they start admitting some high school seniors with 3.8 instead of 4.0 GPAs?

Puddles said:
I'd rather those universities just took more American students. Is UCLA's lofty academic status really going to suffer if they start admitting some high school seniors with 3.8 instead of 4.0 GPAs?
It will according to the all-important rankings.

HylianTom

Banned
I've been either working or napping or driving over the past 24 hours. My rambling, exhausted reaction to all of this?

Student loan pain? Medicare cuts? Good for you, America. We're getting just what we deserve.

My prediction of Obama being a one-termer looks really good about now.

And I stand by my other prediction: Perry, Romney, Bachmann.. whoever it is, they'll also be a one-termer, as they're not going to solve any of our fundamental problems (economy/energy/environment). Heck, they might not even acknowledge that these problems exist, just like many of our voters refuse to do so.

The voters:
"I, like, want our politicians to, like, solve this shit.."
*looks up and down at iPhone again*taptaptap*
"..but I don't want to have to, like, sacrifice or change or anything, 'k?"

I wonder how bad the employment picture going to continue to get. Looks like we're going to find out. More and more, my decision to take national politics less seriously is looking like a rewarding move.

(oooh.. another pretty notepad commercial on TV. And look - football is coming soon! Nice.)

ToxicAdam

Meanwhile, in Ohio ...

JobsOhio was Job One for John Kasich, even before he got to the governor's office.

His plan to bring more jobs to Ohio rolled through the Republican-controlled legislature, and 40 days after he was sworn in, Kasich signed it into law, promising it was the key to fix the stubborn problem of high unemployment.

Now, with a high-powered board of directors just appointed, the building blocks of the plan are coming together. It is nothing less than a remake of Ohio's chief vehicle to attract and keep businesses.

The state's traditional method of encouraging job growth - awarding hefty tax breaks in exchange for the promise of new jobs and investment - has been shoved aside. In its place is JobsOhio, a private, not-for-profit corporation that answers to the governor, will capture billions of dollars in state funds and - in the biggest departure from the past - will invest in private firms, taking ownership stakes much like a venture-capital firm does.

Its critics have called it an unconstitutional power play by a headstrong governor and his well-heeled friends. But be it power grab or sound policy, JobsOhio is a bold break with the past meant to quicken the pace of job recovery and make Ohio friendlier to business.

Link

What you say Poligaf? Bold move? Careless way to gamble taxpayer money? Unconstitutional?

ToxicAdam

WASHINGTON — The deal to raise the debt ceiling includes a $17 billion increase in spending for so-called Pell grants, scholarships for low-income college students, and it would protect the program from cuts until 2013.

But the agreement would eliminate federally subsidized student loans for graduate and professional students, something that could affect the cost of education for an estimated 6 million students seeking advanced degrees.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/01/3050741/amid-debt-ceiling-cuts-good-news.html#ixzz1TqFPSfQ1

ronito

ToxicAdam said:
Meanwhile, in Ohio ...

Link

What you say Poligaf? Bold move? Careless way to gamble taxpayer money? Unconstitutional?
Clever idea. Until someone learns to game the system. I give it one year until that happens. At least with trickle down everyone should know who's getting screwed. That's everyone but the rich.

Also as EV said, spend it on infrastructure. At least the general populace will get something in it.

ToxicAdam said:
Meanwhile, in Ohio ...

Link

Sounds incredibly stupid to me. Just fucking hire people to fix roads, build bridges, and do other necessary projects. This is just gambling with taxpayer money because it's ideologically unpalatable to spend money efficiently. Dumb fucks everywhere.

quadriplegicjon said:
Can someone tell me what exactly is going on with the student loans
Student loans for degrees past a Bachelor's will now accrue interest while you're in school. It used to be that interest didn't start piling up until six months after you graduated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom