• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What'll be funny is if the Dems win the seat despite the allegations already starting about voter fraud, and bad voter counting.

SolKane said:
So the results won't be in tonight?

Quite frankly we really won't know shit for weeks IMO.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Brettison said:
What'll be funny is if the Dems win the seat despite the allegations already starting about voter fraud, and bad voter counting.

If they win or lose, it doesn't matter, the way Kathy Nickolaus handles the votes is a disgrace.

Piecake

quadriplegicjon said:
If they win or lose, it doesn't matter, the way Kathy Nickolaus handles the votes is a disgrace.

Yup, I don't think this is a term I have used before, but she is unAmerican. Absolutely disgusting

Ulairi

Banned
Gonaria said:
Yup, I don't think this is a term I have used before, but she is unAmerican. Absolutely disgusting

And, what specifically has she done wrong tonight and I'd like to see your evidence for your beliefs.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Ulairi said:
And, what specifically has she done wrong tonight and I'd like to see your evidence for your beliefs.

We don't even need any evidence from this election to make allegations.
How she still has her job after the travesty from the last...

Ulairi

Banned
cartoon_soldier said:
LiberalRecallMoneyMatrix.jpg

http://blog.heritage.org/wp-content/uploads/LiberalRecallMoneyMatrix.jpg

Particle Physicist

Ulairi said:
Being the county clerk for a very conservative county in close elections.

Or how about:

Just one year ago, county officials ordered an audit of Waukesha County’s outdated election system after Nickolaus removed election data from county computers and installed them on personal computers in her office. Even before this issue, Nickolaus was resistant to an independent and thorough review of her election system.

and

The Waukesha County Board also heavily criticized the clerk after she brushed aside their recommendations for improving election security. At one point during a hearing in January, board chairman Jim Dwyer grew exasperated with Nickolaus and said, "There really is nothing funny about this, Kathy. Don't sit there and grin when I'm explaining what this is about."

"Wisconsin deserves elections that are fair, clean and transparent," said Scot Ross, the executive director of the progressive advocacy group One Wisconsin Now. "There is a history of secrecy and partisanship surrounding the Waukesha County Clerk and there remain unanswered questions."

http://www.jsonline.com/news/waukesha/114014589.html

gcubed

Ulairi said:
http://blog.heritage.org/wp-content/uploads/LiberalRecallMoneyMatrix.jpg[/IMiG]

[url]http://blog.heritage.org/wp-content/uploads/LiberalRecallMoneyMatrix.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]

14million out of 30 million does not equal vast majority

Averon

Looks like Dems will fall short one seat. They better hope they can hold their two seats up next week. If not, this whole recall will be a wash for them.

Ulairi

Banned
gcubed said:
14million out of 30 million does not equal vast majority

This is just outside money. When you factor in the others, it's about 20 million to 10 million but if you don't trust the one source you won't trust the 20/30 number either. Again, this could be wrong but these are the only numbers I've seen.

SolKane

The $31 million spent on the recalls—the six August 9 elections and two more targeting Democratic state senators on August 16—splits evenly between left- and right-leaning groups. Where the spending is lopsided, McCabe says, is between the candidates and outside spending groups. In-state and out-of-state independent advocacy groups have dropped five times more than the candidates. Not that the candidates are struggling: GOP state Sens. Alberta Darling and Dan Kapanke have both smashed the state senate spending record of $722,000 in their recall races; so far, Darling has spent more than $1 million and Kapanke more than $800,000. (For comparison, the average winning congressional campaign in 2010 cost $1.4 million, a figure Darling could exceed.)

The biggest spender on the Democratic side is We Are Wisconsin, a coalition of labor unions. Campaign finance filings show about $8.8 million in spending by the group so far. Other Democratic groups include the Greater Wisconsin Committee, a liberal advocacy organization that has pumped roughly $1.5 million into the recalls to date, and the state's main teachers' union, the Wisconsin Education Association Council, whose spending McCabe puts at about $500,000. Obama for America, the president's reelection committee, is also involved in the recalls, organizing volunteers for get-out-the-vote drives.

The conservative playing field is more scattered. Instead of one powerhouse coalition, numerous conservative outfits have trained their sights on a few individual recall races, rather than blanketing the state. The Republican State Leadership Committee, a group devoted to electing GOPers at the state level, has zeroed in on the Green Bay TV market, McCabe says, hoping to boost GOP Sen. Rob Cowles' chances against former Brown County Executive Nancy Nusbaum. Two groups with ties to the Koch brothers, Americans for Prosperity and Citizens for a Stronger America, have poured hundreds of thousands of dollars into TV ads, direct mail, and more. The Club for Growth, a fiscally conservative advocacy group, has also been active in Wisconsin's TV markets, McCabe says.

While the spending is more or less even, here's the big difference between the two sides: The left-leaning groups usually disclose their donors, while the right-leaning groups mostly don't. For McCabe, the geyser of dark money is the big story of the recalls. He says two-thirds of the recall spending derives from undisclosed sources, and he blames the Supreme Court's Citizens United decision for allowing so much anonymous spending.

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/08/wisconsin-recall-americans-prosperity-dark-money

Candidate fundraising stats available here:

http://www.wisdc.org/pro11recall.php

Vanillalite

Quite frankly at this point does it matter how the final few votes come down if the voter fraud accusation is there? We won't really know shit until all of that is sorted out which could be weeks and weeks from now.

PS: I'm only still awake cause I wanted a late night bowl of cereal. :p

Ulairi

Banned
Brettison said:
Quite frankly at this point does it matter how the final few votes come down if the voter fraud accusation is there? We won't really know shit until all of that is sorted out which could be weeks and weeks from now.

PS: I'm only still awake cause I wanted a late night bowl of cereal. :p

Everyone know there would be voter fraud allegations. It only matters if .5% is the spread.

Ulairi

Banned
why are the milwaukee wards taking so long to get in? Must be Democratic county clerks trying to screw the election! They want to see what the one ward in Menomonee falls does! GAL! THIEVES!

Particle Physicist

Ulairi said:
why are the milwaukee wards taking so long to get in? Must be Democratic county clerks trying to screw the election! They want to see what the one ward in Menomonee falls does! GAL! THIEVES!

Are Milwaukee ward votes kept on one persons old ass personal computer without independent oversight?

Ulairi

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
Are Milwaukee ward votes kept on one persons old ass personal computer without independent oversight?

The judicial election was reviewed and no wrong doing was found. Just conspiracy.

Chumly

Ulairi said:
You ok there buddy? Having some troubles comprehending things?

Ulairi

Banned
Chumly said:
You ok there buddy? Having some troubles comprehending things?

I'm poking fun of the people that think some little Waukesha county clerk is this evil woman out to destroy democracy without any evidence of that. Have any of the results from Waukesha been outside of the historical norms?

Particle Physicist

Ulairi said:
I'm poking fun of the people that think some little Waukesha county clerk is this evil woman out to destroy democracy without any evidence of that. Have any of the results from Waukesha been outside of the historical norms?

I called her shady, and regardless of the outcome, the way she does things HAS to change.

Are you seriously arguing for less transparency instead of more? wtf?

Ulairi

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
I called her shady, and regardless of the outcome, the way she does things HAVE to change.

Are you seriously arguing for less transparency instead of more? wtf?

I think most likely she's an incompetent boob and should be voted out of office for the mistake in the first part. I just don't think she's some dastardly evil mastermind out to ruin Wisconsin politics.

Vanillalite

Ulairi said:
I think most likely she's an incompetent boob and should be voted out of office for the mistake in the first part. I just don't think she's some dastardly evil mastermind out to ruin Wisconsin politics.

I don't think so either. That being said I don't see how you can keep your job after a fuck up like that in which your job is such a serious one.

Ulairi

Banned
airmangataosenai said:
Ulairi is like the conservative answer to Mcmackis back in 2008.

You don't see me in poli gaf that often. This is the first election I've ever been around that has such a big thread. I'm a libertarian from San Francisco, I don't vote.

Particle Physicist

Ulairi said:
Were the results against the historical norms from Waukesha county and outside the results as a % of vote in the election? You link to a conspiracy website that shows a photo with no evidence of actual fraud.

Conspiracy website?

http://www.truth-out.org/about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth-out.org

Truthout is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit,[1] progressive news organization in the United States that operates a web site[2] and distributes a daily newsletter. Registered in September 2001,[3] Truthout publishes original political news articles, opinion pieces, video reports and artwork. According to its web site, "As an organization, Truthout works to broaden and diversify the political discussion by introducing independent voices and focusing on undercovered issues and unconventional thinking."[4]

Truthout has featured content from writers Paul Krugman, Dahr Jamail, Henry Giroux, Jason Leopold, Bill Moyers, Andy Worthington, Kathy Kelly, Norman Solomon, William Rivers Pitt, Kelpie Wilson, Ken Morris, Dean Baker and Richard Silverstein.[4] The organization has reported extensively on the torture policies of the Bush administration, the health care debate, veterans' issues, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the labor movement, prison reform and election politics.

Yeah, no actual evidence of fraud, but just one more shady thing to add to the countless other crap.

Ulairi

Banned
Brettison said:
I don't think so either. That being said I don't see how you can keep your job after a fuck up like that in which your job is such a serious one.

That's my opinion, too. I think that County Clerk jobs shouldn't even be political type job. For most people, if they messed up that badly they would have been let go right away and I don't think she should be able to keep her job.

Ulairi

Banned
Almost every ward is in except Milwaukee. I want to know what's taking them so long and which part of the district!

EDIT: What will be funny is if Paasch wins because of these last few wards, we're going to see a complete flip on people claiming voter fraud.

Particle Physicist

Ulairi said:
Almost every ward is in except Milwaukee. I want to know what's taking them so long and which part of the district!

EDIT: What will be funny is if Paasch wins because of these last few wards, we're going to see a complete flip on people claiming voter fraud.

I'm not claiming voter fraud. Who else is claiming voter fraud? I am saying, and I quote, 'the way Kathy Nickolaus handles the votes is a disgrace.'

tokkun

A Human Becoming said:
I remember eznark being confident Dems would take at least four of the seats. What a let down. :(

Even the Democratic recall election leadership was saying they only expected 2-3. So, I came in expecting 2 and got exactly that.

Ulairi

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
I'm not claiming voter fraud. Who else is claiming voter fraud? I am saying, and I quote, 'the way Kathy Nickolaus handles the votes is a disgrace.'

The spokesman for the Democratic party that someone linked to earlier does. I wasn't talking about you.

tokkun

Ulairi said:

It's possible that those non-reporting districts are empty districts created from metropolitan expansion. That happened in a few cities during the Prosser/Kloppenberg election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom