• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Byakuya769 said:
Haha, what a jack ass comment for him to make. Good job, man. Did he react to it?
Nah, there was a pretty big crowd and he kinda brushed it off. He did say he would look at the amendment the lady brought up and get back to her on why he voted the way he did and he actually got her information, so I give him credit for that.

There were things I agree with him on and lots of things I just groaned over. One person said that there were "a lot of people in this room that could do better than the Super Committee" and everyone lol'd while I just rolled my eyes. It was at the local library, and the room was so packed at the beginning that he had to take a 90 minute town hall meeting and split it into two hour long sessions. I went to the later, less crowded session. That was a pretty cool move of his, so I tip my hat to him on that one.

And as much as I hate to admit it, meeting people that I disagree with on a more personal level always makes me feel better towards them and earns some respect. I didn't vote for him last time and, if I find someone better, I won't vote for him this time. But, like I said, he brought up good points and he didn't spout off enough bullshit to make me just super frustrated. The China point was the one time where I felt compelled to speak out, and given that I don't often think about the EPA, that's actually a pretty good indicator that he didn't piss me off too much. He only pissed me off on that point that I don't care too much about lol.

I sent him an email on his website (I'm in his district so I can do that) giving him my thoughts and telling him never, ever compare us to China again as a reason why we don't want the EPA. Hopefully I hear back from him. I was pretty cordial in the email.

Plinko: You should have come. Could have had a mini-IndyGAF meetup!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well, this is probably the ONLY piece of good news I've read in the past couple of weeks:

I think most national pundits continue to be missing the boat on how possible it is that Democrats will retake control of the House next year. We find Democrats with a 7 point lead on the generic Congressional ballot this week at 47-40. After getting demolished with independent voters last year, they now hold a slight 39-36 advantage with them. And in another contrast to 2010 Democratic voters are actually slightly more unified than Republicans, with 83% committed to supporting the party's Congressional candidates compared to 80% in line with theirs.

This poll is certainly not an outlier. We have looked at the generic ballot 11 times going back to the beginning of March and Democrats have been ahead every single time, by an average margin of about 4 points. This 7 point advantage is the largest Democrats have had and if there was an election today I'm think that they'd take back the House. Of course there's plenty of time between now and next November for the momentum to shift back in the other direction.

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2011/08/boehner-as-unpopular-as-pelosi.html

Course, that probably just means the Dems lose the senate LOL.

Jackson50

ReBurn said:
I think that it's reasonable to expect that Medicare and Social Security will have to have some reform to remain viable, and if Democrats can figure out how to make them solvent in the long term I agree with you. I'm not versed in what the Republican machinations for these programs are. Republicans know that touching these programs is taboo and amounts to political suicide, which is why there are only idle threats to do it. It's a nod to the base, but they won't actually go through with it.
Sure. I think it is reasonable. Irrespective of their political persuasions, I think most agree that SS and Medicare's trajectories are untenable. Notwithstanding, an alternative plan is not necessary to capitalize on the issue. The Democrats only have to attack the GOP plan. And the House Republican budget provides bountiful ammunition for Democrats.

Now, that will not ensure substantial gains for Democrats. Election fundamentals trump singular issues. Even major issues such as SS and Medicare. If the economy remains tepid, they will encounter some terrible electoral headwinds. It is going to be a slog.
Plinko said:
I respectfully disagree. The gap between the rich and the poor is bigger than ever in America. Unemployment is bad and isn't getting better.

I think it's going to play a huge role in the next election. Guess we'll see.
Hey, reasonable people can respectfully disagree. I find scant evidence to support your proposition, but I do not begrudge you. And you are a Lions fan. It is unfortunate what happened to Leshoure.
Skiptastic said:
You'd all be very proud of me. I went to a town hall meeting with Congressman Dan Burton. Some local lady was criticizing a vote he made on some pollution stuff and he went into how he thinks that we should have clean water and air, but that the EPA has gone too far in regulations. He then said, "China doesn't have an EPA and look at all the jobs they're getting!" To which I yelled from the back, "Yeah, and a lot of that country is filthy!"

I never felt so PoliGAF in my life.
Hear, hear! *fist bump*

AlteredBeast said:
The experiment failed on all levels. Tax rates on everyone need to go up. Just to 1998 levels. Come on, politicians, do everyone a solid and do it. You still won't get thrown out of office. Incumbents are crazy reliable during reelection time.
You live in a reality-based world. They don't. They live in a faith-based world where Saddam had stockpiles of WMDs, the USA is filled with oil that tree-huggers won't let them drill, and climate change is a hoax invented by scientists to make them recycle.

Facts just don't matter. What matters is what people want to believe. Fuck it. Let them eat cat food.

besada

Banned
Skiptastic said:
You'd all be very proud of me. I went to a town hall meeting with Congressman Dan Burton. Some local lady was criticizing a vote he made on some pollution stuff and he went into how he thinks that we should have clean water and air, but that the EPA has gone too far in regulations. He then said, "China doesn't have an EPA and look at all the jobs they're getting!" To which I yelled from the back, "Yeah, and a lot of that country is filthy!"

I never felt so PoliGAF in my life.

I'm proud of you. Next time, throw used oil in his face.

Oblivion said:

The thing is, it behooves them to act as if the Democrats are doomed, so that later they can sell a story about the miraculous Democratic recovery. The whole point of the media now is to create a frame around a subject them allows them to create the maximum amount of drama, because that's what sells ads.

Edit: Apropos of nothing, I urge everyone to check out the Prelinger Archive, located at archive.org. It has an amazing collection of public domain films (which I'm using to cut together weird videos for my weird songs off my weird album) including a ton of American propaganda, ranging from classics like Rohmer and Haas selling us a plexiglass lifestyle, to films made by state health agencies. It's a fascinating rabbit hole to fall into, just for the cultural and political changes on display.

http://www.archive.org/details/prelinger

AlteredBeast said:
The experiment failed on all levels. Tax rates on everyone need to go up. Just to 1998 levels. Come on, politicians, do everyone a solid and do it. You still won't get thrown out of office. Incumbents are crazy reliable during reelection time.
The only minute measure of comfort I take from the intransigence and gridlock in DC is that EGTRRA will expire if the parties are unable to find some common ground.

Unfortunately, the only thing they can find common ground on is behaving irresponsibly, so I'm reasonably confident that EGTRRA will remain law through at least 2016. Unless Obama loses the election. That would be interesting.

besada said:
I'm proud of you. Next time, throw used oil in his face.
Or a shoe. Everyone loves a shoe-thrower.

ToxicAdam

Interesting feature about a few money market managers that predicted this summer's crash.

The two money managers view the world as suffering through a “rolling depression.” Their strategy has been to invest where the depression isn’t rolling at a given moment.

“Rather than buy and hold, it’s buy and rotate,” Dempsey said, moving money into the best-performing sectors and assets as fast as their algorithms can identify them.

A rolling depression has meant falling income levels and rising debt levels worldwide. Not long ago, consumers leveraged up their homes to maintain their lifestyles in an era of limited wage growth. More recently, the U.S. government took on debt to bail out the economy. Now, the government collects less tax revenue than in did in 2008, yet its debt is trillions higher.

“They know this,” Dempsey said. “That’s why they are desperately trying to create inflation… to pay that debt back with cheaper money.”

ToxicAdam said:
Interesting feature about a few money market managers that predicted this summer's crash.

“They know this,” Dempsey said. “That’s why they are desperately trying to create inflation… to pay that debt back with cheaper money.”

I don't know if I'd trust Dempsey with my money if this is really what he thinks, because it isn't true, unless "they" are as ignorant about monetary policy as Dempsey appears to be.

eznark

Banned
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/127456963.html

Pretty good look at turnout on Tuesday. One race actually had higher turnout than the governor's race! Crazy times...

If you combine all six districts, the GOP performance on Tuesday was almost three points lower than Walker's performance in those distrcicts last fall.

This very mixed pattern gives us something short of a definitive trend when it comes to public sentiment toward Gov. Walker. Republicans will argue that Democrats pulled out all the stops and failed to deal Walker a serious political blow. Democrats will argue that despite fighting on mostly GOP turf they did something never done before in Wisconsin – recalled two legislators in the same election.

In the end, Democrats failed in their aim to take back the state Senate. Thanks to a very GOP-friendly legislative map that will take effect next year, Democrats will find it that much harder to take back the state Senate in the future. The party’s prospects for recalling Walker are complicated by this election. Democrats can’t bring to that task the same psychological momentum and energy that would have come from flipping the state Senate on Tuesday.

But in terms of its broader meaning, it would be hard to paint Tuesday’s vote as either a strong affirmation or rejection of the first-year governor. What it does affirm is the fierce division and intense activism of the Wisconsin electorate.

Overall, had everyone voted straight ticket, Walker would have lost 2.9% of his margin from 2010 with much of that coming from Randy Hopper's district. I think Hopper's very public scandals (his wife campaigning against him certainly made an impact) wouldn't necessarily have stuck to Walker. Walker took 57% of that district in 2010 and Hopper only got 48%. Looking at the rest of the results, I think that had more to do with Hopper being a scumbag than any votes he took.

thefro

Oblivion said:
Well, this is probably the ONLY piece of good news I've read in the past couple of weeks:

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2011/08/boehner-as-unpopular-as-pelosi.html

The big problem is all the gerrymandering that is going on with Republicans having a great year in 2010 and controlling everything in time for the redistricting post-census.

Also, there will be a few more seats in the red states with the census changing how many seats in the House each state gets.

Piecake

thefro said:
The big problem is all the gerrymandering that is going on with Republicans having a great year in 2010 and controlling everything in time for the redistricting post-census.

Also, there will be a few more seats in the red states with the census changing how many seats in the House each state gets.

Yea, that shit needs to change. Who the hell thought it was a bright idea to give redistricting power to the people it benefits the most? Talk about a conflict of interest...

Gonaria said:
Yea, that shit needs to change. Who the hell thought it was a bright idea to give redistricting power to the people it benefits the most? Talk about a conflict of interest...
Who thought it was a good idea to give redistricting power to states, more like. The sooner Congress wrests that power away from the states in favor of some rules like these, the better.

ToxicAdam

empty vessel said:
I don't know if I'd trust Dempsey with my money if this is really what he thinks, because it isn't true, unless "they" are as ignorant about monetary policy as Dempsey appears to be.

Modest projections, impressive effects

Say the new debt that we have to pay off runs to $8 trillion. In a world with no inflation at an interest rate of 2% (a blend of the current yields on the five- and 10-year Treasury notes), interest payments alone come to $160 billion a year in current dollars. Paying down the debt over 30 years -- the way you and I would on a mortgage -- would require an additional $267 billion a year in current dollars. That's $427 billion we don't have each year. (The unfunded liabilities for Social Security and Medicare -- what we've promised to pay but haven't put aside money to cover -- came to $102 trillion in 2008, according to the report of the trustees for those two programs.)

Put inflation and a declining dollar into the equation, though, and things get better. At 3% inflation, that $160 billion in interest payments is really worth just $155 billion in constant dollars after a year. That's a savings of almost $5 billion in one year. The principal is worth 3% less in constant dollars every year as well. In 30 years, even if we didn't pay down a cent on that amount, the principal would be worth just $3.2 trillion in constant dollars.

Some savings, huh?

The savings are even greater if the United States is paying off some of its interest and debt in depreciating dollars. About 50% of U.S. public debt is held by overseas investors and governments. Assuming roughly the same ownership for the new $8 trillion in debt, a 3% annual depreciation of the dollar would save $2.5 billion in constant dollars in interest costs in the first year and would reduce the value of the 50% of the principal held overseas by about $2.5 trillion.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/JubaksJournal/us-debt-sets-stage-for-inflation.aspx

re:WI recalls, actually, the counting was off in Robert Cowles' district - the final result was 56-44, not 60-40.

Take that into account and all of the WI recall candidates did worse than Johnson and Walker, some only slightly (Cowles by 2 points, not nearly enough to turn the tide), and others hugely (Hopper!).

In any case, the most powerful man in the WI Senate is now Dale Schultz. He'll basically be the Anthony Kennedy of the institution, and depending on how next week's recalls go, I'm sure some of the Dem party leaders will try and convince him to switch sides - maybe let him become majority leader if he does.

Incidentally, he was the only Republican to vote against the collective bargaining bill, and he represents a 60+Obama district. And he fucking hates Walker, if public statements are any indication.

eznark

Banned
Aaron Strife said:
re:WI recalls, actually, the counting was off in Robert Cowles' district - the final result was 56-44, not 60-40.

Take that into account and all of the WI recall candidates did worse than Johnson and Walker, some only slightly (Cowles by 2 points, not nearly enough to turn the tide), and others hugely (Hopper!).

In any case, the most powerful man in the WI Senate is now Dale Schultz. He'll basically be the Anthony Kennedy of the institution, and depending on how next week's recalls go, I'm sure some of the Dem party leaders will try and convince him to switch sides - maybe let him become majority leader if he does.

Incidentally, he was the only Republican to vote against the collective bargaining bill, and he represents a 60+Obama district. And he fucking hates Walker, if public statements are any indication.

Holy crap that would be awesome. Democratic majority leader who is whole-heartedly backed by Wisconsin Right To Life and Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce (and just about every other business interest group in the state). I don't know if I'd ever stop laughing. Pretty sure Fred Kessler would lead a progressive revolt if that happened.

As far as I remember, the collective bargaining bill is the only time he has broken with the state GOP.

ToxicAdam said:

I don't understand what this means in relation to my comment in response to Dempsey's comment. Government spending in a recession with deep unemployment is not intended to--and will not--create inflation. Also, a depreciation of currency is not inflation. While depreciation helps, its purpose would not be to help pay off the debt, but to help the economy recover by making American-produced goods cheaper. All of the stimulative policies are aimed at improving the economy. None are aimed at paying off debt.

I don't know where this fanciful idea that anybody is genuinely concerned with the deficit or debt comes from. They aren't, nor should they be. Our problem is neither the deficit nor our debt. It is a shitty economy without jobs.

http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=10554

aronnov reborn said:
I love you sir..

Suddenly i don't feel so alone here.
Yeah, because some teacher in wisconsin who's part of a union is the reason this country is in the toilet. Not wallstreet or the banks that gambled with everybody's money and blew a 2 trillion dollar hole in the economy. It was obviously Mrs. Smith, the 2nd grade language arts teacher, and her damned union, that are behind this mess.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
RoninChaos said:
Yeah, because some teacher in wisconsin who's part of a union is the reason this country is in the toilet. Not wallstreet or the banks that gambled with everybody's money and blew a 2 trillion dollar hole in the economy. It was obviously Mrs. Smith, the 2nd grade language arts teacher, and her damned union, that are behind this mess.
It sickens me how the people who protect wall street and claim we can't tax the "job creators" (which isn't true. It's not like Warren Buffett personally funds the salaries of berkshire hathaway's employees. Berkshire Hathaway does.) instead blame the country's problems on teachers, grassroots/door knocking groups, and workers which band together to achieve common goals like better working conditions or to provide legal advice and professional training.

ToxicAdam

empty vessel said:
I don't understand what this means in relation to my comment in response to Dempsey's comment. Government spending in a recession with deep unemployment is not intended to--and will not--create inflation.

I believe the 'they' in Dempsey's comment was directed at the Fed and others that influence the currency policy. So, his comments had nothing to do with what legislators are doing.

Also, a depreciation of currency is not inflation. While depreciation helps, its purpose would not be to help pay off the debt, but to help the economy recover by making American-produced goods cheaper. All of the stimulative policies are aimed at improving the economy. None are aimed at paying off debt

Can't it be both? Can't it help drive demand of american-produced goods overseas and make our debt cheaper in the future?

ToxicAdam said:
Can't it be both? Can't it help drive demand of american-produced goods overseas and make our debt cheaper in the future?
Well, the article you originally quoted states that they are "desperately trying to create inflation". I think Empty Vessels point is that, if anything, they are depseratly trying to improve the economy and any inflation that occurs is just a side product.

Mitt Romney insisted that Republicans rule out any tax increases in negotiations to avoid a debt ceiling default, but as governor of Massachusetts they were a key selling point in his efforts to raise the state's S&P rating.

In a presentation from 2004 obtained by Politico's Ben Smith, the Romney administration touted a 2002 tax increase of over $1 billion approved by his predecessor as evidence the state was in good fiscal health. According to the 50-page presentation, Massachusetts "successfully managed revenue and expense positions" in 2002 and 2003 and "acted decisively to address the fiscal crisis."

While Romney aides say they are not sure whether he was in the room for the presentation, Romney has talked up his personal involvement in the state's successful bid to win over the S&P this week.

"The president really ought to personally sit down and meet with S&P," he said in an interview with San Diego radio station KCBQ. "I did that when I was governor; I met with the ratings agencies and talked about our future and tried to instill confidence in our future because, look, how they rate our debt and how they rate our future as a nation will affect the interest costs that we end up paying and will affect homeowners and borrowers all over the country."
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...increase-to-sp-in-04-presentation.php?ref=fpb

herp derp

Measley

RoninChaos said:

The right has been trying to destroy public education for years now. The demonization of public school teachers has been pretty successful, and I'm actually surprised how many people actually hate public teachers now. Its pretty crazy.

If we get a Republican senate and president, they just might do it.

ToxicAdam said:
I believe the 'they' in Dempsey's comment was directed at the Fed and others that influence the currency policy. So, his comments had nothing to do with what legislators are doing.

I don't think the Fed is trying to create inflation, either. That is what paranoid gold bugs believe. They are trying to stimulate the economy. Depreciation of the dollar may be a slight objective, because it can be of benefit to spurring growth, but that is not inflation. It's not really a big deal, I was just making an offhand remark about his quote.

ToxicAdam said:

Yes, and I assume it would. But my only point is that it is not a current policy objective to make our debt cheaper in the future. Nobody cares about the debt right now, because the debt is not a current problem. (Also, currency depreciation isn't a real solution to debt because it isn't sustainable. A depreciated dollar will make American goods sell better, which will improve the domestic economy, which will ... appreciate the dollar.)

GaimeGuy said:
It sickens me how the people who protect wall street and claim we can't tax the "job creators" (which isn't true. It's not like Warren Buffett personally funds the salaries of berkshire hathaway's employees. Berkshire Hathaway does.) instead blame the country's problems on teachers, grassroots/door knocking groups, and workers which band together to achieve common goals like better working conditions or to provide legal advice and professional training.

This entire thought process that you and I are talking about is incredibly scary because it takes the need to examine and understand and throws it right out the window. We all know the country has moved on to 30 second sound bites, but at what point should we expect people to actually sit down and go "This can't really be the way it is, right?" and do some research?

If there is anything that bothers me about this country it's the fact that the American people see no issue in being lied to.

I feel like the slide towards labeling people that are actually intelligent as elitests has a lot to do with the issues we're seeing now. We've moved from being a society that is divided on racial issues to one that puts more stock into class issues. The rich vs. poor in particular has reared it's head in a very ugly manner during the last ten years, and rightfully so. The people on the right want to claim that more taxes are wealth redistribution and that is unamerican but have no problem when the river flows in the other direction, as it has for the last 10 years where we've seen wages stagnate for the middle class and explode for the wealthy. The budget can't be balanced on the backs of the poor. The deficit can't be closed by sucking up everything from all but the smallest 1% of our country. This has to be something we ALL chip in on.

The fact that both parties can't and won't accept any responsibility for the current crisis we're in honestly tests my faith in America and the idea that we can still accomplish big things. The fact that something as petty as pandering could possibly push our country over the edge and erode everything that Americans have worked for since this country's inception is something that fills me with pure dread. We have a broken congress that is more concerned with their jobs than addressing issues because they're too busy trying to appeal to lobbyists that fill their political coffers so they can try to be re-elected.

I would venture a guess that it's always been this way, but why does it feel so overwhelming now?

The name calling at best and the downright lies at worse that seem to consume the country is pretty fucking astonishing because it doesn't seem based on any sense of responsibility for the well being of our country and our political system. I wish I could find a concrete reason for our politicians absolute need for mutual destruction rather than having to make some hard choices to actually get things on a more even keel.

Maybe it really is just money. Maybe it really is just class. Maybe some people have no other way to define themselves except for the things they have, that those things define them in some way, and that's why making sure people don't starve to death or freeze to death in the winter is such an appaling thing. People have to feel like they're different, that they did the hard work that others would not, and that's why others suffer.

Or maybe it's just that definition comes from wealth. Or maybe it's a lack of understanding of why helping people isn't a bad thing.

Or maybe it really is just money and the fact that people don't want to have a real conversation about the issues because it would make them feel less special, and realize how stupid they really might be.

Maybe I should stop trying to figure this out and go outside and play with my son.

Yeah.

ToxicAdam

Blergmeister said:
Well, the article you originally quoted states that they are "desperately trying to create inflation". I think Empty Vessels point is that, if anything, they are depseratly trying to improve the economy and any inflation that occurs is just a side product.

Isn't 'desperately trying to create inflation' just another way of saying 'trying to prevent deflation'? That's what QE1 and QE2 were about. Stabilizing prices, providing more capital for financial institutions to loan and drive down the value of our currency. You can look at those programs a number of different ways and not be wrong in your assessment.

Now, that those problems have been addressed, wouldn't another round of QE be more likely to drive up inflation than actually provide economic stimulus? There are rumors that's they way they may be headed.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/0918adbc-bf82-11e0-90d5-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1UjU0q2EX

ToxicAdam said:
Isn't 'desperately trying to create inflation' just another way of saying 'trying to prevent deflation'? That's what QE1 and QE2 were about.

I don't think so. Not technically, anyway. Inflation is a consistent rise in prices. Desperately trying to keep prices stable is not desperately trying to cause inflation. Plus, it seems to play on the panicked fears of inflation that we heard when QE1 and QE2 were announced.

ToxicAdam said:
Isn't 'desperately trying to create inflation' just another way of saying 'trying to prevent deflation'? That's what QE1 and QE2 were about. Stabilizing prices, providing more capital for financial institutions to loan and drive down the value of our currency. You can look at those programs a number of different ways and not be wrong in your assessment.

As much as dousing yourself in water to put out a fire is taking a bath. A policy with the objective to devalue debt would have to have inflation at a rate high enough to thoroughly trump the rate that most of that debt is held at.

Fischer's equation
1 + i = (1 + r)(1 + E(I))

r - real interest rate
i - nominal interest rate
E(I) - expected inflation

Basically inflation is already priced into nominal rates, so in order to devalue existing debt, you need to increase inflation above that original expectation.

RoninChaos said:
The fact that both parties can't and won't accept any responsibility for the current crisis we're in honestly tests my faith in America and the idea that we can still accomplish big things. The fact that something as petty as pandering could possibly push our country over the edge and erode everything that Americans have worked for since this country's inception is something that fills me with pure dread. We have a broken congress that is more concerned with their jobs than addressing issues because they're too busy trying to appeal to lobbyists that fill their political coffers so they can try to be re-elected.
I've given up on big things. Those days are long over. In WW2 we grew victory gardens, rationed gasoline & rubber, bought war bonds . . . we have 2 wars now and you are a fucking tree-hugger communist if you suggest raising the CAFE standard.

In Japan they lost Fukushima and turned off a few other nuke plants over safety issues. They asked the public to cut back on electricity usage . . . and they did. Significantly. I just don't see that happening here.

Jackson50

empty vessel said:
I don't think so. Not technically, anyway. Inflation is a consistent rise in prices. Desperately trying to keep prices stable is not desperately trying to cause inflation. Plus, it seems to play on the panicked fears of inflation that we heard when QE1 and QE2 were announced.
Yeah. They employ similar mechanisms. But the targets and intended outcomes are different. Not that central banks have not attempted that tactic. But that is not the Fed's intention.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
speculawyer said:
I've given up on big things. Those days are long over. In WW2 we grew victory gardens, rationed gasoline & rubber, bought war bonds . . . we have 2 wars now and you are a fucking tree-hugger communist if you suggest raising the CAFE standard.

In Japan they lost Fukushima and turned off a few other nuke plants over safety issues. They asked the public to cut back on electricity usage . . . and they did. Significantly. I just don't see that happening here.

We have First World problems. It's what happens when you reach the top and are the best. You get complacent.

It happens to people in sports all the time. And now it has happened to America.

ToxicAdam

speculawyer said:

I understand your point, but you really shouldn't compare the wars we are waging today to WWII.

mckmas8808 said:
We have First World problems. It's what happens when you reach the top and are the best. You get complacent.

It happens to people in sports all the time. And now it has happened to America.
we're absolutely not the top, at least as far as everything but military goes.

mckmas8808

This article I just read on the Gaming side is one reason why America is going in the wrong direction economically.

Bloomberg: Nintendo's Mario Pressured to Jump to iPhone
In “Super Mario 3DLand,” Nintendo Co. will make its iconic Italian plumber battle turtle-like Koopa Troopas on its 3-D player. The company instead should develop titles for Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s iPhone, investors say.

Given the concerns over the outlook of Nintendo’s handheld and home-console business, which account for most of the company’s profit and sales, Nintendo should make better use of its more than $10 billion cash pile, investor Tetsuro Ii said.

“Nintendo should aggressively make acquisitions or increase returns to its shareholders,” said Ii, president of Tokyo-based Commons Asset Management Inc., which held 2,200 Nintendo shares as of February, according to the company’s website. “It’s management’s task to consider how to make use of the cash.”

The only thing people seem to care about is the next quarter and shareholders. It's like people don't even care about the company and what it's making anymore. The only question is how much money in profit or loss did it have in the last quarter.

SMH.

mckmas8808 said:
This article I just read on the Gaming side is one reason why America is going in the wrong direction economically.

Bloomberg: Nintendo's Mario Pressured to Jump to iPhone

The only thing people seem to care about is the next quarter and shareholders. It's like people don't even care about the company and what it's making anymore. The only question is how much money in profit or loss did it have in the last quarter.

SMH.

Most of the investors in that article are Japanese. : P

mckmas8808

ToxicAdam said:
mckmas, I don't think calling for Nintendo to go third party for other platforms is necessarily new nor is it an American mindset.

I know it's not new. I was trying to use it as an example. The point is everything seems to ride on "what have you done for your stock lately". In America it just seems so much worse. We cut corners in the banking industry to make the stock price better.

We don't invest in new technologies like we should because we are scared that they might not be a roaring success within the first 2 years. It's like we are scared to take risk unless the rules of the game are rigged for certain companies.

Maybe it's just the new microwave thinking on the last 15 years.

mckmas8808 said:
I know it's not new. I was trying to use it as an example. The point is everything seems to ride on "what have you done for your stock lately". In America it just seems so much worse. We cut corners in the banking industry to make the stock price better.

We don't invest in new technologies like we should because we are scared that they might not be a roaring success within the first 2 years. It's like we are scared to take risk unless the rules of the game are rigged for certain companies.

Maybe it's just the new microwave thinking on the last 15 years.
I appreciate the point, but this is a terrible example.

ToxicAdam said:
I understand your point, but you really shouldn't compare the wars we are waging today to WWII.
Certainly I'm exaggerating for effect. But we literally are at war. And not a trivial Grenada type of war. There are 100K+ troops and maybe an equal number of contractors in Afghanistan and they've been there for coming up on 10 years.

But we can't even raise taxes from the lowest modern rates ever much less get people to do more proactive things. What is it that the Tea Party suggests sacrificing. They want other people to sacrifice. Now some of them will get hit but when they start getting hit, I'll bet many of them will quickly flip-flop.

speculawyer said:
Certainly I'm exaggerating for effect. But we literally are at war. And not a trivial Grenada type of war. There are 100K+ troops and maybe an equal number of contractors in Afghanistan and they've been there for coming up on 10 years.

But we can't even raise taxes from the lowest modern rates ever much less get people to do more proactive things. What is it that the Tea Party suggests sacrificing. They want other people to sacrifice. Now some of them will get hit but when they start getting hit, I'll bet many of them will quickly flip-flop.
Totally agree. WW2 era was a completely different animal than what we have now. Then there was no real system. Social Security was less than 10 years old and did not apply to everyone. Plus the wealth of many Americans had already been destroyed. People could make sacrifices because the only thing they really had to lose was their life and culture.

Today, you have too many bought into the system to want it to change. Too many forces that like it the way it is. That's why fixing the tax code will be hard. You think pharmaceutical companies are willing to give up their tax breaks. No way. Hell fixing anything will be hard. Too much money and forces involved in wanting to keep things the way they are. We can tinker around the edges, but something revolutionary needs to happen be it either a new technology or a deadly disease. I mean house prices have sunk to 2003 levels. It's like the last decade economic growth never happen. It was all an illusion of debt both private and public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom