• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.
mckmas8808 said:
This article I just read on the Gaming side is one reason why America is going in the wrong direction economically.

Bloomberg: Nintendo's Mario Pressured to Jump to iPhone

The only thing people seem to care about is the next quarter and shareholders. It's like people don't even care about the company and what it's making anymore. The only question is how much money in profit or loss did it have in the last quarter.

SMH.

To be fair, if Nintendo doesn't get with the times they'll go out of business. They should move to the iPhone asap, the non-phone portable gaming market is about to die a hard death.

Anyway, debate tonight!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Dr. Pangloss said:
I mean house prices have sunk to 2003 levels. It's like the last decade economic growth never happen. It was all an illusion of debt both private and public.
oh, there was growth, it just went exclusively to the uber rich (I'm talking top 0.1% here). We've known that for a while. Housing prices should probably be lower since wages have been stagnant since before 2003

I should also add that there was a whole lot more political activism in 1930s/1940s. Back then more people read print media. I would also say the 4th estate was vastly superior than what we have today. Also, there were fewer distractions and segmentation of the populace. People did not have that much to do. They went to work. Came home and read or listen to the radio. And who was on the radio? FDR. You even got news before a movie. Today you get ads. Just think how opinion polls on debt ceiling would look if you had a segment about it before the summer movies. But not everyone goes to the movies now.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PhoenixDark said:
To be fair, if Nintendo doesn't get with the times they'll go out of business. They should move to the iPhone asap, the non-phone portable gaming market is about to die a hard death.

Anyway, debate tonight!

PD you know how to predict things huh? Nintendo going out of business if they don't make games for the iPhone ASAP? lol

mckmas8808 said:
Never heard of Becerra before. Who is that?

Xavier Becerra, rep from California. He had some great exchanges with Paul Ryan during the CSPAN televised healthcare forum between Obama and the dem and republican leaders in the house/senate. He's also on the SS subcommittee of the Ways and Means committee

I'm still worried about Baucus, but it's nice having some more people on the board who can be trusted

GhaleonEB

I said a few weeks ago that the new UI claims were being distorted due to a disconnect between the timing the auto retooling and the seasonal adjustment meant to account for them. I was looking to the week when the ajustments ended for a better reading on the trend. This week is when they ended.

Initial jobless claims, for the first time since early April, are under 400,000, at 395,000 in the August 6 week in what is a positive indication of job market improvement. The four-week average of 405,000, down 3,250 in the week, is the lowest since mid April and is down now for the sixth week in a row. A month-ago comparison with early July shows a 13,000 decline in what hints at improvement for the August employment report.

Continuing claims also show improvement, down 60,000 in data for the July 30 week to 3.688 million. The four-week average is down for a third week in a row at 3.719 million. The unemployment rate for insured workers slipped one tenth to 2.9 percent.

Good news.

Invisible_Insane said:
I appreciate the point, but this is a terrible example.
Perhaps the point he was trying to make was that these analysts are calling for Nintendo to do something in the short term to increase profits that doesn't even attempt to look at the entire picture of what Nintendo is as a company, what they make, how they make money from that, why they do what they do etc. Instead it seems like the analyst doesn't seem to understand why Nintendo wouldn't just cease platform development, stop R&D for new consoles and immediately shift to being an iPhone app maker.

They aren't examining any of the details that would suggest an answer as to why Nintendo hasn't already started making games for the iPhone and abandoned their own business practices for a quick buck. It's like suggesting that Coca Cola should get into the business of 2000 champagne just because that's what rappers like to buy. It's short sided, stupid, and ignores what Nintendo does entirely.

mittens on a roll the past 24 hours. first the revelation of his lobbying s & p to upgrade his state's rating by advocating more taxes and today his "corporations are people too, my friends" line in front of a raucous crowd.

Dr. Pangloss said:
I should also add that there was a whole lot more political activism in 1930s/1940s. Back then more people read print media. I would also say the 4th estate was vastly superior than what we have today. Also, there were fewer distractions and segmentation of the populace. People did not have that much to do. They went to work. Came home and read or listen to the radio. And who was on the radio? FDR. You even got news before a movie. Today you get ads. Just think how opinion polls on debt ceiling would look if you had a segment about it before the summer movies. But not everyone goes to the movies now.
Even back in the 1970s it was very different. You went to work/school, you came home, and then you watched the news before zoning out in front of sitcoms. The news was a mandated public service for TV station owners. It was pretty neutral fact-based stuff.

Now everyone is segmented off into their own biased news outlets or they get no news at all.

Clevinger

Incognito said:
mittens on a roll the past 24 hours. first the revelation of his lobbying s & p to upgrade his state's rating by advocating more taxes and today his "corporations are people too, my friends" line in front of a raucous crowd.

Oof. That's gonna hurt in the general, if he even makes it. I hope he does.

speculawyer said:
Even back in the 1970s it was very different. You went to work/school, you came home, and then you watched the news before zoning out in front of sitcoms. The news was a mandated public service for TV station owners. It was pretty neutral fact-based stuff.

Now everyone is segmented off into their own biased news outlets or they get no news at all.
Yeah, confirmation bias. I mean you don't have to do a partisan message about the debt ceiling. Just explain what it is. Hell I would let John McCain's former presidential economic adviser explain it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63vyrsCGyGE Stop the crazies like Bachmann from saying raising the debt limit was bad.

Wilsongt said:
Clyburn is like... the only democrat left from SC, I think.
Probably part of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Here in Louisiana we have to have one congressional district with a minority majority. Justice Department also has to approve our redistricting too before it can go into effect.

What's the crowd's reaction? I'm at work. Many conservatives agree with that line of reasoning, as does the law. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, compared to 9% unemployment.

eznark

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
What's the crowd's reaction? I'm at work. Many conservatives agree with that line of reasoning, as does the law. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, compared you 9% unemployment.

His point wasn't in a "supreme court ruling" context. He was saying that corporate profits go to people.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
PhoenixDark said:
What's the crowd's reaction? I'm at work. Many conservatives agree with that line of reasoning, as does the law. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, compared to 9% unemployment.
They're laughing, jeering and basically arguing with him.

PhoenixDark said:

laughed and mocked at. i think i even heard one dude yell out "oh, come on!"

eznark said:
His point wasn't in a "supreme court ruling" context. He was saying that corporate profits go to people.
Yeah, he wasn't articulating his point well. Y is composed of X, therefore Y is X is a very shitty argument, but not the manifest absurdity the crowd took it for.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Invisible_Insane said:
Yeah, he wasn't articulating his point well. Y is composed of X, therefore Y is X is a very shitty argument, but not the manifest absurdity the crowd took it for.
But even his actual point is dumb. Profits clearly are not going to company's employees, at least not the vast majority of them. Those profits are being stockpiled by corporations and partially given to executives. Regular wages and benefits are largely stagnant at best.

FLEABttn

Banned
Invisible_Insane said:

A circle-jerk is composed of people, therefore a circle-jerk is people. This logic works so well!

SolKane

Dan said:
But even his actual point is dumb. Profits clearly are not going to company's employees, at least not the vast majority of them. Those profits are being stockpiled by corporations and partially given to executives. Regular wages and benefits are largely stagnant at best.

"Corporations are [rich] people, too" is a better line of argument.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Invisible_Insane said:

I might consider an argument that says the corporate tax rates needs to be lowered and simplified (ie, basically no deductions), on the other hand, personal income tax needs to include capital gains, and money sent over seas needs to be taxed at a higher rate.

But I understand the argument that corporations would rather expand elsewhere then bring money back being taxed at current rates.

GhaleonEB

Byakuya769 said:
Dumb thing for Romney to spend time articulating, but to go as far as laughing and smiling smugly while saying it? Disastrous.
Yup. The crowd was having none of it. I don't like to use the phrase "out of touch", but it sure suits that moment.

LovingSteam said:
Yep. All 6 Republicans will be in lock step and then Max will fall in line.
This is my expectation also.

Plumbob

Dan said:

Hey! Rich people are people too!

Measley

As much as I hate Romney, I want him to win the Nom over Perry. Perry would be the worst thing to happen to the presidency since the last Texas governor won the White House.

Vestal

Measley said:
As much as I hate Romney, I want him to win the Nom over Perry. Perry would be the worst thing to happen to the presidency since the last Texas governor won the White House.

IMO Romney is the tougher candidate to beat in a General Election.. Perry IMO would get slaughtered in the General Election.

Measley

Vestal said:
IMO Romney is the tougher candidate to beat in a General Election.. Perry IMO would get slaughtered in the General Election.

I'm not so sure anymore. :-/

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Michael Moore and slew of other people thinks Matt Damon should run for POTUS.

Um, no.

ToxicAdam

What Perry's Foreign Policy might look like:

"He will distinguish himself from other Republicans as a hawk internationalist, embracing American exceptionalism and the unique role we must play in confronting the many threats we face," one foreign policy advisor with knowledge of Perry's thinking told The Cable. "He has no sympathy for the neo-isolationist impulses emanating from some quarters of the Republican Party."

Perry recently disparaged President Barack Obama's speech on the Middle East, called for higher defense budgets, warned about the rise of China, criticized the effort to reset relations with Russia, and said that North Korea and Iran represent "an imminent threat with their nuclear ambitions."

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/08/10/rick_perry_the_hawk_internationalist

How easy will it be for Democrats to paint him as GWB part 2? This guy's candidacy is a godsend to Obama. He can just dust off the 2008 playbook.

Vestal said:

See above. I'm with you on that sentiment.

Although I think Obama has a good shot of winning either way. Assuming nothing major happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom