• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.
besada said:
Thanks for posting. I've been waiting for that to come out.

Link for people not on mobile device:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/michele-bachmanns-holy-war-20110622

In her runs for Congress, Bachmann discovered — or perhaps it is more accurate to say we all discovered — that a total absence of legislative accomplishment and a complete inability to tell the truth or even to identify objective reality are no longer hindrances to higher office.

someone hold me

AlteredBeast said:
Sorry to rehash page 1 or 2, but I just shopped today for groceries and got:

86.58 after tax.

This is a lot of our staples and pantry fill-ins, too. Normally we would buy more produce, but we have a lot left over from last time we went shopping.

To those that said they couldn't imagine someone feeding a family of 3 off of 350 a month should realize I could buy 4 times this stuff to hit 350 and have way more food than we could ever eat in a month.
Your list of groceries would cost me $143.99 (before tax). I chose the cheapest store brands where I could. That looks about a weeks worth of meals before you have to shop again (though obviously some items last longer).

polyh3dron said:
Nothing would make me happier than to see Bachmann win Iowa and NH
I don't think it matters so much if she wins Iowa, but it would be pure hilarity if she did take NH. Bad for the military JHunta, though.

I apologize to PoliGAF for that pun.

adamsappel said:
Your list of groceries would cost me $143.99 (before tax). I chose the cheapest store brands where I could. That looks about a weeks worth of meals before you have to shop again (though obviously some items last longer).
Clearly the solution is for you to move to Omaha.

NH republicans seem a lot crazier than they were in 08, which makes Romney's huge lead there kinda baffling. Maybe that will change over the the next months though, especially if Bachman dominates Iowa. Hillary was dominating NH (and the other states) at this time in the race; she still won NH of course, but it was considerably closer than predicted.

polyh3dron said:
Nothing would make me happier than to see Bachmann win Iowa and NH
Yeah, I'd like that. I think she is unelectable nation-wide. She is a little smarter than Palin but more of the crazy evangelical. I just can't see her winning the general ever.

And it is possible . . . the other GOP nominees would not highlight the evangelical stuff in fear of alienating primary voters. So she may be able to hide the crazy for a while.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Leunam said:
Democrats will fold over the second Republicans push back, sadly.

If they keep pushing it then I'll be impressed.

Yeah, hell can reheat rather quickly.

Measley said:
Is cable news or the mainstream media going to pick this up?
Rachel Maddow will be shouting it from the rooftops tonight. Book it.

I have to say, I'm liking her show less and less over time. She still presents well-reasoned analyses at times, but she went on for 10 minutes last night about how a ferry in the shot behind Jon Hunstman at his campaign rollout was a "disaster." Fox-level nonsense, that.

Kosmo

Banned
speculawyer said:
Yeah, I'd like that. I think she is unelectable nation-wide. She is a little smarter than Palin but more of the crazy evangelical. I just can't see her winning the general ever.

And it is possible . . . the other GOP nominees would not highlight the evangelical stuff in fear of alienating primary voters. So she may be able to hide the crazy for a while.

Bachman is simply the more politically polished version of Palin. She has some of the same insane ideas, but she's not going to go out an look like a fool like Palin does.

Did you know she raised 23 foster kids? haha

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm looking for some political blogs. I just got a Kindle, so I'll be reading much more often. My favorite journalists are Glenn Greenwald, Dan Carlin and Rachel Maddow.

Invisible_Insane said:

I have to say, I'm liking her show less and less over time. She still presents well-reasoned analyses at times, but she went on for 10 minutes last night about how a ferry in the shot behind Jon Hunstman at his campaign rollout was a "disaster." Fox-level nonsense, that.

I somewhat agree that disaster is hyperbole, but it was distracting. It certainly didn't aid his attempt to reconstruct Reagan's campaign roll out.

A Human Becoming said:
I'm looking for some political blogs. I just got a Kindle, so I'll be reading much more often. My favorite journalist are Glenn Greenwald, Dan Carlin and Rachel Maddow.
I hear the Drudge report is an excellent source of links.

Invisible_Insane said:

I agree but unfortunately she's the last best hope for liberal commentary. Ed Show and Last Word are complete crap and pretty much unwatchable, and I don't get Current. So.... Maddow it is!

worldrunover said:
I agree but unfortunately she's the last best hope for liberal commentary. Ed Show and Last Word are complete crap and pretty much unwatchable, and I don't get Current. So.... Maddow it is!
I'll give you Ed, but really? You guys must have extremely low levels of tolerance. Last Word is 10x better than Countdown.

These poll trends are very discouraging. I still think Obama can pull it out due to the weak Republican field though. Till we get rid of the electoral college, his odds are still good. Especially with all the BS the Republicans give about lowering your taxes, lowering the deficit, creating jobs, and saving Medicare in one simple solution. Hard choices indeed.

xDLB9.png

According to a state-by-state analysis conducted by Matt McDonald, a partner at the GOP-aligned Hamilton Place Strategies, the unemployment rate outpaced the national average in only four swing states last month: Florida, Michigan, Nevada and North Carolina. ... Those four states will account for 66 electoral votes in 2012. Both parties are likely to target 10 states that have unemployment rates below the national average — Colorado, Iowa, Indiana, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin. Those states have a total of 106 electoral votes.

As Chris writes, “that means Obama could lose all four states where unemployment is above the national average and — assuming he can retain the other states he won in 2008 — still win a relatively comfortable reelection with 299 electoral votes.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/swing-state-unemployment/2011/05/19/AGDF88cH_blog.html

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
McConnell: GOP Outspoken On Libya Because There's A Democrat In The White House
Brian Beutler | June 22, 2011, 10:48AM

mitch-mcconnell-happy1-cropped-proto-custom_2.jpg

Here's an impressive package of candor from Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), who spoke to reporters Wednesday at a breakfast roundtable hosted by the Christan Science Monitor.

McConnell admitted that his party is divided over President Obama's military action in Libya, but that you're only hearing about it because Obama's a Democrat. Many of these same divisions, he said, existed under President Bush, but party loyalty "muted" the dissent.

"I'm not sure that these kinds of differences might not have been there in a more latent form when you had a Republican president," McConnell admitted. "But I do think there's more of a tendency to pull together when the guy in the White House is on your side."

McConnell said some in his conference oppose the Libya action on the grounds that it costs too much, others on the grounds that the military's stretched too thin, and yet more on the grounds that it's an inappropriate use of the military.

"I think some of these views were probably held by some of my members even in the previous administration but party loyalty tends to kind of mute them," he said. "A lot of our members, not having a Republican in the White House, feel more free to kind of express their reservations which might have been somewhat muted during the previous administration."

We all know this happens. And McConnell's likely trying to send a signal to dissident members to simmer down. But it's rare to see a sitting party leader admit to this sort of thing.

################

Wow just like that he admitted it. I know it happens all the time, but I'm surprised by the fact that Mcconnell doesn't seem to think voters care that his party has and still is doing this sort of thing.

So maybe there isn't any kind of penalty for being wishy washy like this after all?

Kosmo

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Wow just like that he admitted it. I know it happens all the time, but I'm surprised by the fact that Mcconnell doesn't seem to think voters care that his party has and still is doing this sort of thing.

So maybe there isn't any kind of penalty for being wishy washy like this after all?

Both parties do this.

When Bush was in the White House, Pelosi on bin Laden: "Even if he’s is caught tomorrow, it is five years too late. Even to capture him now I don't think makes us any safer”

Caught under Obama: “The death of Osama bin Laden marks the most significant development in our fight against al-Qaida”

You can't make this shit up.

Kosmo said:
Both parties do this.

When Bush was in the White House, Pelosi on bin Laden: "Even if he’s is caught tomorrow, it is five years too late. Even to capture him now I don't think makes us any safer”

Caught under Obama: “The death of Osama bin Laden marks the most significant development in our fight against al-Qaida”

Those statements don't really contradict each other.

lo escondido

Apartheid is, in fact, not institutional racism
besada said:
Thanks for posting. I've been waiting for that to come out.

Link for people not on mobile device:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/michele-bachmanns-holy-war-20110622
Sorry about the mobile link. I'm at work.

But that paragraph about being made fun of is scary accurate and more dems need to pay attention to it. You can't just demonize and make fun of these people. They vote and matter and all the making fun of Palin and bachman just makes them think in their head that they are right.

They ARE losing their country like they claim. America isn't a white middle class country anymore and the fact that the president is black and more and more people speak different languages and aren't Christian scares them. While i think these aren't negative changes they do and bachman and the extreme right wing do and they are a real force and just marginalizing them only makes their mission even more important in their eyes .

Kosmo said:
Bachman is simply the more politically polished version of Palin. She has some of the same insane ideas, but she's not going to go out an look like a fool like Palin does.
A bit late for that.

Invisible_Insane said:
Those statements don't really contradict each other.
Yeah, that was my reaction as well.

Kosmo said:
Both parties do this.

Those two statements aren't even correlated. :lol

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
All 33,000 surge troops out of Afghanistan by next summer confirmed? Yes, please.

GhaleonEB

Plinko said:
All 33,000 surge troops out of Afghanistan by next summer confirmed? Yes, please.
That's not what I've seen reported, which is 10,000 out this year and the rest of the 33,000 out by the end of 2012. Which is far too slow, as that just gets us back to the levels we were at before the 'surge'. We need to get out much faster.

Unless there has been an update reported on what Obama plans to say, which I have not seen.

ToxicAdam

A Human Becoming said:
I'm looking for some political blogs. I just got a Kindle, so I'll be reading much more often. My favorite journalists are Glenn Greenwald, Dan Carlin and Rachel Maddow.

Just go to Andrew Sullivan's blog. He has about 40 of the top ones listed on his right column.

--- /// ---

Obama's troop plan is entirely predictable. He's not going to do anything to jeopardize the 2012 election, so a quicker pullout is out of the question.

ToxicAdam

Invisible_Insane said:
Dude you need to post in this thread more.

My work place blocked GAF, so I can only log on here for a few minutes here and there when I am at home.

I'm not really missing much. The upcoming election is going to be a bore and Congress aren't really doing any monumental legislature.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. Agreed on the Maddow decline. Her interview with some Utah journo that covered his Huntsman's governorship (or was it a NJ journo covering Christie's job?) practically begging him to say something. "Right?" That's my red flag. And yeah, her bit about the invitation (previously covered the same day by Cenk), the website, the generator going out, all the bad luck on his first day...really seemed beneath her. There's plenty of great reasons he'd be a terrible president, and they have nothing to do with whether or not I saw the statue of liberty properly when he announced.*

*Though in Maddow's defense, a well-run campaign is a sign of effective delegation, if not effective leadership.

2. I'm pretty sure Kosmo was rhetorically murdered on this page.

My thoughts on Newt.

John McCain '07. In the summer of '07, McCain was riding couch with barely a dollar to his name. 8 months later, he's the Republican nominee.

Believe Newt! Believe!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
ToxicAdam said:
My work place blocked GAF, so I can only log on here for a few minutes here and there when I am at home.

I'm not really missing much. The upcoming election is going to be a bore and Congress aren't really doing any monumental legislature.

I think you mean that with an essentially uncontested election and a lame duck congress, NOW IS THE TIME FOR AWESOME. Queue pointless stories about travel expenses, jewelry accounts, "is he Reagan enough?," and "WILL JOBS DEFEAT OBAMA?" x1,000,000.

The Chosen One said:
John McCain 1907. In the summer of 1907, McCain was riding couch with barely a dollar to his name. 101 years later, he's the Republican nominee.

What a weird post.

GhaleonEB

ToxicAdam said:
Obama's troop plan is entirely predictable. He's not going to do anything to jeopardize the 2012 election, so a quicker pullout is out of the question.
The Afghan war has turned unpopular and is likely to only continue to go in that direction. A faster pull out would likely be seen as a good thing to the Dem base and moderates, and even some of the GOP base (not that it would swing their vote).

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
GhaleonEB said:
The Afghan war has turned unpopular and is likely to only continue to go in that direction. A faster pull out would likely be seen as a good thing to the Dem base and moderates, and even some of the GOP base (not that it would swing their vote).

You who should have pulled out faster?

biden_smile_H_20080827003450.jpg

sarah_palin-frown-300x225.jpg

GhaleonEB said:
What are we even still doing there? Regardless, the Taliban is still going to run the country. We give no reasons for the Afghan civilians to trust our soldiers, and only feed into more recruitment.

Kosmo

Banned
At least something we should all be able to get behind - "Joint" Legislation from Barney Frank and Ron Paul:

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2011/06/22/“joint”-legislation-proposed-by-barney-frank-and-ron-paul/

A bipartisan team of Reps. Barney Frank, D-Mass., and Ron Paul, R-Texas, will introduce federal legislation that would permit states to legalize, regulate, tax and control marijuana without federal interference.

The legislation will be unveiled Thursday by Frank, an outspoken liberal Democrat, and the libertarian Paul, who is running for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination.

The bill would limit the U.S. government role in marijuana enforcement to interdiction of cross-border or inter-state smuggling. Citizens would be able to legally grow, use or sell cannabis in states which have legalized the forbidden weed.

The legislation is the first bill to be introduced in Congress that would end federal marijuana prohibition…

The legislation follows a report by the Global Commission on Drug Policy, released early this month, that pronounced the War on Drugs a failure and advocated legal regulation of marijuana.

Loudninja

Obama address: Surge troops home by summer 2012
WASHINGTON – Pulling home the Americans he sent to war, President Barack Obama plans to announce Wednesday night the withdrawal of more than 30,000 troops from Afghanistan by the end of next summer, hastening the end of the long conflict that has been more costly than ever envisioned when launched in response to the 2001 attacks on America.

In an address to the nation, Obama will say that he is withdrawing 10,000 troops by the end of this year, and more than 20,000 in addition no later than September 2012, according to administration officials. That accounts for all of the extra forces he ordered to Afghanistan in late 2009 to turn around a flailing war effort.

The initial withdrawal is expected to happen in two phases, with 5,000 troops coming home this summer and an additional 5,000 by the end of the year, a senior U.S. defense official said.

In total, Obama will announce the withdrawal of 33,000 troops. That's the 30,000 he announced he was sending in an address in December 2009, plus an extra 3,000 he authorized Defense Secretary Robert Gates to employ to support the effort.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110622/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_us_afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom