• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M

Nick N
Evlar said:
I think it's more that Perry will run on his record as Governor of Texas, much like Bush did. And Obama won't fail to point that out.
I guess my response is "And....?"

I just don't the relevance of pointing out that Bush also ran on his record as governor as Texas compared to what his record actually is.

It's like saying people won't vote for Perry because he wears a tie and Bush wore a tie.

Mardak

Cyan said:
Sounds like government interference i.e. communism.
If government interference is the reason why the country is sitting on fire, you call it government interference when Ron Paul would have moved the country away from the fire or extinguished it?

Why should Utah defining marriage one way be able to force the ideas of its people on another state like California? States that are more accepting of the greater society's beliefs in marriage will attract families and businesses to support those families.

You are asking the wrong question. The real question is why should Utah be allowed to deny marriage and all of the benefits that come with it to homosexuals:

joint filing of bankruptcy permitted
joint parenting rights, such as access to children's school records
family visitation rights for the spouse and non-biological children, such as to visit a spouse in a hospital or prison
next-of-kin status for emergency medical decisions or filing wrongful death claims
custodial rights to children, shared property, child support, and alimony after divorce
domestic violence intervention
access to "family only" services, such as reduced rate memberships to clubs & organizations or residency in certain neighborhoods
Court notice of probate proceedings
Domestic violence protection orders
Funeral and bereavement leave
Joint adoption and foster care
Insurance licenses, coverage, eligibility, and benefits organization of mutual benefits society
Legal status with stepchildren
Making spousal medical decisions
Permission to make funeral arrangements for a deceased spouse, including burial or cremation
Right of survivorship of custodial trust
Right to change surname upon marriage
Right to enter into prenuptial agreement
Right to inheritance of property
Spousal privilege in court cases (the marital confidences privilege and the spousal testimonial privilege)
For those divorced or widowed, the right to many of ex- or late spouse's benefits, including:
Social Security pension
veteran's pensions, indemnity compensation for service-connected deaths, medical care, and nursing home care, right to burial in veterans' cemeteries, educational assistance, and housing
survivor benefits for federal employees
survivor benefits for spouses of longshoremen, harbor workers, railroad workers
additional benefits to spouses of coal miners who die of black lung disease
$100,000 to spouse of any public safety officer killed in the line of duty
continuation of employer-sponsored health benefits
renewal and termination rights to spouse's copyrights on death of spouse
payment of wages and workers compensation benefits after worker death
making, revoking, and objecting to post-mortem anatomical gifts

Marriage is not just an issue of taxes and religion.

Again, why should Utah be allowed to revoke that from homosexual couples that move into their state? What good is that going to accomplish?

Are you against Ron Paul's position of states rights?

Yes, especially in cases like these. Ron Paul's championing of "States rights" is simply a smoke screen for allowing institutional discrimination.

There is no freedom from implicit racial discrimination. People have their 1st amendment right to say whatever they want, and those people will suffer the consequences from their society for what they say. Just because you don't like what someone has to say means you have the right to prevent them from saying it? You although have the choice to get mad or ignore the person and his business and tell other people to ignore that person.

Nobody is forced to be negatively impacted by another person's racism. But truly hateful people will be hateful in one way or another even with laws that seemingly try to improve morality. What benefit does a store owner get for treating a customer poorly with bad food or bad service?

Others in this thread have already addressed this issue to you multiple times. I am simply going to sum up that you sound profoundly ignorant of the social climate that lead to the Civil Rights Act and I would recommend fixing that.

Ages on what scale? What criticism have I ignored and not addressed?
That was a typo. I meant to say "pages." As far as criticism you have ignored, you have failed to address every single post addressing and attempting to correct your misunderstandings of the social structure of the 1960s.

Society has through government shown that the people want to let others know the harmful effects of tobacco. However this takes more responsibility away from parents to teach their children what is right and wrong. Just because smoking is illegal for minors does not mean they are any wiser when they become of age and can buy cigarettes themselves.

I said nothing suggesting or supporting regulation in this specific case. I simply stated that corporations if allowed to do as they please can and will intentionally deceive their consumers, actively work to keep them ignorant and destroy their lives.

The Libertarians’ Lament
Their heroic view of capitalism makes it difficult for them to accept that financial systems without vigorous government oversight constitute a recipe for disaster.
The best thing you can say about libertarians is that, because their views derive from abstract theory, they tend to be principled and rigorous in their logic. Those outside of government at places like the CATO Institute and Reason magazine are just as consistent in their opposition to government bailouts as to the kind of regulation that might have prevented one from being necessary. "Let failed banks fail" is the purist line. This approach would deliver a wonderful lesson in personal responsibility, creating thousands of new jobs in the soup kitchen and food-pantry industry.

The worst thing you can say about libertarians is that they are intellectually immature, frozen in the worldview many of them absorbed from Ayn Rand. Like other ideologues, libertarians react to the world failing to conform to their model by asking where the world went wrong. Their heroic view of capitalism makes it difficult for them to accept that markets can be irrational, misunderstand risk and misallocate resources—or that financial systems without vigorous government oversight constitute a recipe for disaster. They are bankrupt, and this time, there will be no bailout.

eznark

Banned
Oblivion said:
I like where this is going.

Two filthy pinko commies, one leftier than the next, fighting over the affections of a selfish, married, asshole libertarian.

I think we have a sitcom, people!

Evlar

Banned
Mike M said:
I guess my response is "And....?"

I just don't the relevance of pointing out that Bush also ran on his record as governor as Texas compared to what his record actually is.

It's like saying people won't vote for Perry because he wears a tie and Bush wore a tie.
No, it's like saying Perry was hand-picked by Bush to be his successor. He was in Bush's Texas administration and originally became governor by succession from Lt. Governor when Bush was elected President.

These men aren't just incidentally tied by having the same office. Perry owes his job to Bush.

Chichikov

besada said:
And you probably know some Krav Maga shit. I'm backing off.
Did I ever give you my rant about how Krav Maga is bullshit?
Well, it is.

I can still most likely kick your ass though ;).

eznark said:
Have you seen his t-shirt line? Braun has to bathe in irony (or he is a Jewish guido)
I have not, but you do realize that there are Jews that look like that, right?
In fact, this is pretty much what fucking Jerusalem looks like.

eznark said:
Two filthy pinko commies, one leftier than the next, fighting over the affections of a selfish, married, asshole libertarian.

I think we have a sitcom, people!
I think we have a gang-rape.

Mardak

Chichikov said:
Opposing unemployment benefits
Do you see Congress passing a bill to get rid of unemployment benefits for President Paul to sign? Aren't unemployment benefits handled at the state?

Chichikov said:
socialized medicine
And it's better to have a system where insurance companies benefit by having laws require people to have health insurance or otherwise they'll be fined? Why push for a system that benefits insurance providers that drives patients and doctors further apart from each other?

Mardak said:
If government interference is the reason why the country is sitting on fire, you call it government interference when Ron Paul would have moved the country away from the fire or extinguished it?
Government interference is not the reason why the country is sitting on fire. What the fuck. Will you stop repeating crap? Your stupid fucking deregulated free market jesus crashed the economy. Free market when left unchecked will destroy everything it touches including the institution it belongs to. Ron Paul would've done jack shit. He'd have presided over an economy with 15% unemployment by not bailing out your free market entrepreneurs sitting in Wall St. He'd have watched the country burn while he slowly instituted young earth creationism in schools and chiseled away women's suffrage laws, civil rights act and americans with disability act. I mean, an establishment has right to build the itself however the hell it wants. Who wants to spend extra money for a ramp for wheel chair freeloaders?

Piecake

Mardak said:
And it's better to have a system where insurance companies benefit by having laws require people to have health insurance or otherwise they'll be fined? Why push for a system that benefits insurance providers that drives patients and doctors further apart from each other?

Or we could just eliminate health insurance all together, have govt provide health care for everyone, and we all save a ton of money in the process.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Mardak said:

You do realize that we didn't want that, right?

eznark said:
No he didn't.

Perry said:
Oh, I think there’s a lot of different scenarios. Texas is a unique place. When we came into the Union in 1845, one of the issues was that we would be able to leave if we decided to do that.

My hope is that America, and Washington in particular, pays attention. We’ve got a great Union. There’s absolutely no reason to dissolve it.

But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, who knows what might come out of that.

Not even a hint, Ez?

Cyan

Banned
eznark said:
No he didn't.
CNN said:
"There's a lot of different scenarios," Perry said. "We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we're a pretty independent lot to boot."
?

Gonaria said:
Or we could just eliminate health insurance all together, have govt provide health care for everyone, and we all save a ton of money in the process.
Hey, you know logic shouldn't be used when creating policy!

eznark

Banned
Cyan said:

He suggested secession is a possibility, which it is of course. Unlike many posters here calling for the flyover/red/poor states to be split from the prosperous and forward thinking coasts, Perry never even said it was something that should be done.

If I say that it is possible for you to get raped by a raccoon, am I suggesting you cover your ass in jelly and run through the pines?

Big Baybee said:
But he suggested that Texas secede from the union, which is like the ultimate form of treason. Can't wait to see the political ads calling Perry out on that.

eznark said:
No he didn't.

"We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that? But Texas is a very unique place, and we're a pretty independent lot to boot."

I hate Perry, but I'd rather others hate him for legitimate reasons. Perry suggested that it was legal for Texas to secede, and then made the comment above, which is something of a taunt and political posturing rather than outright endorsing secession.

eznark said:
He suggested secession is a possibility, which it is of course. Unlike many posters here calling for the flyover/red/poor states to be split from the prosperous and forward thinking coasts, Perry never even said it was something that should be done.
"That's a nice union you got there. Be a shame if something happened to it."

Big Baybee said:
Not even a hint, Ez?

Hey, he was just asking questions. Can't a guy ask questions? I mean, Perry said he thinks we've got a great union. It's just those crazy ass Texans who might want to secede. You know, the ones who voted him into office three times.

Why are the Republicans too fucking stupid to realize that Jon Huntsman is the only decent candidate in this field?

Oh wait. Because they're Republicans.

nateeasy

Banned
"We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that? But Texas is a very unique place, and we're a pretty independent lot to boot."

Are we missing this part? Hate Perry if you want. But saying he suggested Texas should secede isn't accurate.

nateeasy said:

Are we missing this part? Hate Perry if you want. But saying he suggested Texas should secede isn't accurate.

We're not autistic (not that there's anything wrong with that). We can understand what a person means by looking at more than the words literally coming out of his mouth.

Mardak

Mortrialus said:
The real question is why should Utah be allowed to deny marriage and all of the benefits that come with it to homosexuals:
Because the people in that state have decided that they don't want their money spent a certain way. If you live in that state and want to make a difference, engage in the state-level elections. Until then, the rest of the states and their residents can choose not to subsidize Utah, and eventually enough people in the state will get fed up with the state's stupid policies and either leave or also take part in making a difference.

Mortrialus said:
Again, why should Utah be allowed to revoke that from homosexual couples that move into their state?
Better question, why would anyone want to move to Utah to begin with if that's their policy? California would be plenty happy to get increased revenues. California has a better coast line anyway.

I suppose one valid answer is that there could be work in Utah. However, Utah driving away potential employees just makes it harder for companies to find workers which increases costs and decreases competitiveness. Even the businesses will come together to push back against the state laws.

Mortrialus said:
you sound profoundly ignorant of the social climate that lead to the Civil Rights Act and I would recommend fixing that.
Sure, I claim that I did not grow up in that time, so I have no first-hand experience of what that was like. However, I did grow up with the rest of society starting to treat people equally independent of their sexual orientation, and I would argue that it was not that much different from what was happening in the 1960s in some aspects.

I can see that my parents are not as accepting, but it's hard for me to blame them when that's what the rest of society taught them -- especially so with regards to where they grew up as children (outside of the US).

Just as it is now, I would assume something similar was happening in the 60s where some states were more progressive than others. Pressure can be applied from people in these states to help open the eyes of residents of other states. Even if the parents are not convinced, the children will grow to change the mood of the rest of their society without needing states forcing their own laws on another state.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Sinoox said:
I honestly think you're joking. Ron Paul an interventionist? What the hell have you been watching? I would think that would be the one thing people would be able to grasp since he's talked about it the most. Ron Paul is a constitutionalist, plain and simple. If you don't like the constitution maybe you should be the one that takes parting. I would happily leave if there actually was a country that followed America's law of the land, unfortunately there isn't and Pakistan sure as hell doesn't come close to being one.

Whoops, conflated Ron Paul with the latest Tea Party darling, Michelle Bachmann. It doesn't really matter, it doesn't change the fact that countries like Pakistan represent the tea party ideal. Small government, virtually nonexistant regulatory environments, large militaries, and low taxes. The reality is that, much like the argument about how "raising taxes will scare the job creators away!", tea partiers lack the moral conviction to put their political philosophies into practice by actually moving to their so-called libertarian paradises (or at least those that aren't populated by english-speaking white anglo descendents of American cultural heritage).

nateeasy said:

Are you missing that part?

Dude Abides

Banned
BertramCooper said:
Why are the Republicans too fucking stupid to realize that Jon Huntsman is the only decent candidate in this field?

Oh wait. Because they're Republicans.

It's not their fault Huntsman doesn't actually want to be the nominee.

Mardak said:
Sure, I claim that I did not grow up in that time, so I have no first-hand experience of what that was like. However, I did grow up with the rest of society starting to treat people equally independent of their sexual orientation, and I would argue that it was not that much different from what was happening in the 1960s in some aspects.
Wasn't that bad in 1960's in some aspects? You're cuckoo. We still had lynching going on during the 60's, my friend. Have you heard about Mississippi Burning? 1964.

Mardak said:
Why should Utah defining marriage one way be able to force the ideas of its people on another state like California? States that are more accepting of the greater society's beliefs in marriage will attract families and businesses to support those families.

Aren't you a constitution fetishist? There's a clause for that.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
eznark said:
I found the sheer dollar amount staggering first. Then I was surprised by who it was going to. Then I chuckled at the potential results of "getting money out of politics."
Eh? The "big boy" the author focuses on spent 45 million over 21 years. Meanwhile the US Chamber if Commerce spent 144 million dollars lobbying in 2009 alone. Direct donations are a minuscule portion of overall political cash.

It certainly doesn't surprise me that unions are among the biggest direct contributors, that he implies that the Koch brothers are somehow lightweights because their direct contributions are comparatively small is a disingenuous take away at best.

Edit: I am resisting putting words in your mouth but since you gave so little initially it is difficult for me to see what you meant by
"chuckling at the results if getting money out of politics". I hope you were not implying that that chart in any way demonstrated that liberal money constitutes any sort of majority in over all political spending, because that is not what it says.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
RustyNails said:
Wasn't that bad in 1960's in some aspects? You're cuckoo. We still had lynching going on during the 60's, my friend. Have you heard about Mississippi Burning? 1964.

I'm not here to judge that.

The important thing is that we approach this disparity like the nation did in the 1960's, by following a policy of states rights and federal noninterference.

Some states had more progressive policies towards racial equality, and as those states attracted more residents and businesses, it put pressure on the other states to adopt those policies.

This is the kind of marketplace of ideas that Ron Paul supports. Shouldn't you?

Cyan

Banned
Mandark said:

The important thing is that we approach this disparity like the nation did in the 1960's, by following a policy of states rights and federal noninterference.

Some states had more progressive policies towards racial equality, and as those states attracted more residents and businesses, it put pressure on the other states to adopt those policies.

Waaaaait a minute. You ain't fooling me.

Mardak

RustyNails said:
Your stupid fucking deregulated free market jesus crashed the economy.
My deregulated free market? I'll assume you meant the bipartisan "free market" with FHLMC and FNMA.

While the Federal Reserve initiated the housing bubble with extremely low interest rates, it was Freddie and Fannie following orders from HUD that pushed it to full speed. The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development of the federal executive branch set insane goals of housing requirements that allowed -- required -- for even more subprime mortgages. This was initiated by the laws passed by both the Clinton and Bush administrations.

This circles around back to the Federal Reserve being allowed to purchase bad debts of these Government Sponsored Enterprises, so that Freddie and Fannie could continue buying up all these subprime mortgages without worry because the Federal Reserve would just print money and buy up any failures.

Just as there are good regulations that protect people, there are bad regulations that make things really bad. The market was far from deregulated and this was all pushed forward by both Democrats and Republicans with the Federal Reserve doing what it does best -- printing money out of nowhere.

besada

Banned
Mandark said:

Edit: Got me! Kudos, sir, kudos.

eznark said:

If I say that it is possible for you to get raped by a raccoon, am I suggesting you cover your ass in jelly and run through the pines?

Not to sane people.

Dude Abides

Banned
Mandark said:

What? That isn't what happened. What "put pressure on the other states to adopt those policies" was the federal government.

This is my first encounter with a genuine Ron Paul supporter in the wild - is this a widely held belief about how racial equality (formal at least) came about in this country?

Edit: shit. Trolled.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Mardak said:
So a system that requires everyone have insurance coverage "drives patients and doctors further apart from each other" than a system that currently leaves nearly one fifth of the US population uninsured? riggggggggggght

We do agree on one thing though, a system that forces people to buy a private product is a poor one, they should have kept the public option!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Dude Abides said:
What? That isn't what happened. What "put pressure on the other states to adopt those policies" was the federal government.

This is my first encounter with a genuine Ron Paul supporter in the wild - is this a widely held belief about how racial equality (formal at least) came about in this country?

Edit: shit. Trolled.
U Got Trolled

That's some epic AstroLad esque stiff there

Edit:Damn your edit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom