• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Clevinger said:
Why do you think so? The economy is stagnant, Obama's approval is in the toilet, Perry has a great platform to run on (which will be hard for Obama to attack). Perry is handsome and charismatic and a supposedly great campaigner and he'll have oodles of corporate money behind him.

I'm not saying Obama can't win, just that it seems more and more unlikely to me, especially if it's Perry instead of Romney.
Perry mainly wins in Texas due to having no competition at all. I am not convinced he will be able to win borderline states in the general election. I don't think independents will be ready to vote for another Texas governor.

HylianTom

Banned
scorcho said:
it's likely to be a close election, decided by moderates who, one after the other, wonder 'didn't we just kick this type of yokel out in 2008?'

I'm betting that, regardless of winner, it'll be another one where it's decided later in the evening, with the victor getting less than 300EVs. I don't think it'll be 2000-tight, but imagine the whole race coming-down to Colorado..

HylianTom said:
I'm betting that, regardless of winner, it'll be another one where it's decided later in the evening, with the victor getting less than 300EVs. I don't think it'll be 2000-tight, but imagine the whole race coming-down to Colorado..
If there is ever a repeat of 2000...shiiiit.

Alcibiades

Perry is unpopular in Texas even with many Republicans... in 2006 he didn't get a majority of the vote and in 2010 he won despite not being well-liked because Texas has move strongly Republican in the past couple of decades (it has always been conservative).

Once he gets torched by the national media (who are probably going to rekindle their love affair with Obama as soon as the Republican nominee is chosen) I wouldn't be surprised if he got less than 100 electoral votes (supposing he even becomes the nominee, which I think is unlikely).

EDIT:

I'm actually confounded by the enthusiasm around this guy, he is way too conservative to have a chance in the general election. Moderates and independents whose #1 concern is the economy aren't going vote for someone as socially conservative as him. MAYBE back in 2000, but the electorate has changed a lot in the past 10 years.

Snaku

Banned
besada said:
I'm pretty sure Obama has also never lost an election.

Shit, let's turn this into a three-way winner race!

K0IjK.jpg

GOP vs Democratic Party vs Tea Party

besada

Banned
Snaku said:
Shit, let's turn this into a three-way winner race!

GOP vs Democratic Party vs Tea Party

I'd enjoy that, but Palin HAS lost an election. And the 2008 VP slot wasn't the first election she'd lost. She lost in her primary run for Lt. Governor.

Snaku

Banned
besada said:
I'd enjoy that, but Palin HAS lost an election. And the 2008 VP slot wasn't the first election she'd lost. She lost in her primary run for Lt. Governor.

Yeah, but she believes she's undefeated, which is better than winning! I think.

Mardak

Mortrialus said:
His support of the Defense of Marriage Act is one.
Ron Paul believes in states' rights, but he believes it's even sillier that people need to get government approval to get married in the first place. His ultimate stance is that the federal government should have no say in marriage so states do not need to define marriage. But because the federal government does tie marriage into issues like taxes, states need to define something.

Why should Utah defining marriage one way be able to force the ideas of its people on another state like California? States that are more accepting of the greater society's beliefs in marriage will attract families and businesses to support those families.

Are you against Ron Paul's position of states rights?

Mortrialus said:
His backwards ideals where a person's freedom to allow their racism to actively and negatively impact another's life is more important than the freedom from racial discrimination is another.
There is no freedom from implicit racial discrimination. People have their 1st amendment right to say whatever they want, and those people will suffer the consequences from their society for what they say. Just because you don't like what someone has to say means you have the right to prevent them from saying it? You although have the choice to get mad or ignore the person and his business and tell other people to ignore that person.

Nobody is forced to be negatively impacted by another person's racism. But truly hateful people will be hateful in one way or another even with laws that seemingly try to improve morality. What benefit does a store owner get for treating a customer poorly with bad food or bad service?

Are you against the freedom of speech?

Mortrialus said:
You been posting for ages, completely ignoring all criticism of Ron Paul and failing to address any of it.
Ages on what scale? What criticism have I ignored and not addressed?

Mortrialus said:
Except even in areas where government isn't involved, corporations have shown that they are more than willing to deceive and dick their consumers. The pseudoscience studies the tobacco industry published just as serious scientific investigation into the harmful effects of smoking being a prime example.
Society has through government shown that the people want to let others know the harmful effects of tobacco. However this takes more responsibility away from parents to teach their children what is right and wrong. Just because smoking is illegal for minors does not mean they are any wiser when they become of age and can buy cigarettes themselves.

Similar to the situation with alcohol, European countries where society has parents that regularly drink a glass of wine and share it with their child has fewer issues of college students wanting to drink recklessly. Students who get introduced to alcohol by other students that drink only because they were never allowed to get into more trouble.

The same story repeats for sex. Parents who just ignore it or explicitly say no and say no more end up with more grandchildren earlier than those parents that talk about safe sex and explain their reasoning to the child as opposed to the child getting information from peers with equally little knowledge or ulterior motives.

Government stepping in to be the parent lets parents feel like they don't need to do anything and the child ends up so disassociated with the original intent of why the laws were passed in the first place.

besada

Banned
Amusing Onion article:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/ne...ing-obama-making,21113/?utm_source=recentnews
"For three years, the Republican Party has coalesced around the single goal of making President Obama's every waking moment sheer and utter torture," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell told reporters. "But we can't continue to do that if he's not in office."

"If we are going to make the president a haggard shell of a human being by the time he leaves the White House, we need four more years of never compromising, four more years of miring every piece of legislation in unnecessary procedural muck, four more years of pretending we want to work with the president and then walking away from the table at the last second," McConnell added. "Four more years! Four more years! Obama 2012!"
In order to make the president's next four years the worst of his life, GOP legislators are reportedly working on a new "Destroy Every Fiber of Barack Obama's Being" initiative, a plan that includes benchmarks such as making Obama look 10 years older than he is just six months into his second term; ruining his marriage before the 2014 midterm elections; and, by the time he leaves office, making him break down in front of the entire nation and say the words "I give up. Just please stop."

Puddles

Banned
Mardak, you seem to fail to understand what the status quo was BEFORE the Civil Rights Act. You paint a rosy picture of personal responsibility and the free market keeping racism in check when history does not support this at all.

Edit: in fact, it's been said before, but I'll say it again, since it bears repeating. Many of the government programs and agencies that libertarians want to get rid of and/or privatize exist because the previous status quo of no government intervention WASN'T WORKING.

besada

Banned
Puddles said:
Mardak, you seem to fail to understand what the status quo was BEFORE the Civil Rights Act. You paint a rosy picture of personal responsibility and the free market keeping racism in check when history does not support this at all.

But the internet!!!

Piecake

Puddles said:

pointing that out won't make a difference. The reason why I think libertarianism is so popular with some is that it is a simple ideology that professes to have all of the answers to the world's problems. And that makes some people warm and fuzzy inside because they like always knowing what needs/should be done without having to actually carefully look and analyze specific situations/problems, they can just spout some tired ideological nonsense that applies to the issue at hand and feel good about themselves since they 'know' that they are right

eznark

Banned
besada said:
I'm pretty sure Obama has also never lost an election.

Bobby Rush beat him in a House primary in 2000 or 2002. It was also widely expected he'd lose his state seat in 2004, which is why he ran for the US senate, and he would have been trounced there were it not for some of the filthiest politics only Chicago money can buy.

Mardak

Puddles said:
Many of the government programs and agencies that libertarians want to get rid of and/or privatize exist because the previous status quo of no government intervention WASN'T WORKING.
And which of those programs or agencies would President Paul work to get rid of or privatize?

Just because someone wants to talk about the role of the FAA in an ultimate libertarian world does not mean it makes sense to not vote for Ron Paul because that is not something Congress will get to President Paul, and not something he would see as a priority.

Chichikov

Gonaria said:
pointing that out won't make a difference. The reason why I think libertarianism is so popular with some is that it is a simple ideology that professes to have all of the answers to the world's problems. And that makes some people warm and fuzzy inside because they like always knowing what needs/should be done without having to actually carefully look and analyze specific situations/problems, they can just spout some tired ideological nonsense that applies to the issue at hand and feel good about themselves since they 'know' that they are right
I think there's something genuinely appealing in the ethos of individualism and self sufficiency.
I really do, and on a personal level, I can even relate to libertarianism.

But at the same time I think it's extremely naive to believe it's something that can be applied lock stock and barrel to a modern society.
And the history books can teach us what happen if we try.

Edit: I will say this, the habit some libertarians have of saying "President Ron Paul", like enough repetitions are going to make it true is getting on my nerves.
Yeah, I'm a petty little man.

Puddles

Banned
Mardak said:
And which of those programs or agencies would President Paul work to get rid of or privatize?

Just because someone wants to talk about the role of the FAA in an ultimate libertarian world does not mean it makes sense to not vote for Ron Paul because that is not something Congress will get to President Paul, and not something he would see as a priority.

Okay, let's assume that this is true.

Obviously I'd like to see both wars we're involved in stopped ASAP. What else do you think Ron Paul has to offer for a progressive voter?

Gonaria said:

I had a discussion with a libertarian one time, and we got around to talking about healthcare. The guy told me "If government would just stop regulating everything and let the free market do its job, someone would figure out how to insure everyone for like a dollar. Wouldn't you want to have health insurance for a dollar?"

eznark

Banned
I think it's humorous that some libertarians consider voting for Paul as some sort of ideological stand when Paul himself isn't terribly libertarian.

Mardak

Chichikov said:
And the history books can teach us what happen if we try.
Indeed we can look to history of electing Bush and Obama and see that the candidates presented to us by the corporate media want to keep spending money on wars. They might differ on which countries they want to attack, but they all just want to spend your money to kill people.

Why not vote for Ron Paul who will stop the wasteful military spending if you also agree on that position?

Why get caught up in with tiny issues of ideological libertarianism that have little effect in today's Congress?

eznark said:
I think it's humorous that some libertarians consider voting for Paul as some sort of ideological stand when Paul himself isn't terribly libertarian.
yeah, paul has a few key libertarian positions, but many more that are the opposite.

besada

Banned
eznark said:
Bobby Rush beat him in a House primary in 2000 or 2002. It was also widely expected he'd lose his state seat in 2004, which is why he ran for the US senate, and he would have been trounced there were it not for some of the filthiest politics only Chicago money can buy.

Oops, I was wrong. Perry guaranteed to win. Sorry folks!

eznark

Banned
besada said:

At least in this election Obama won't have to pay the media to dig up dirt on his opponent!

Yes, that's what he said. Way to go.
besada was covering up his pathetic shame with a quip. Let him be.

Mardak

Puddles said:
Obviously I'd like to see both wars we're involved in stopped ASAP. What else do you think Ron Paul has to offer for a progressive voter?
Economy.

Ron Paul predicted the housing bubble and explained why it would burst and even provided steps to avoid the bubble.

President Paul would have a stronger voice with a listening audience to have potentially avoided the crash.

President Paul also would have vetoed the corporate bailout of Wall St where debt and malinvestments of those corporations were bought by the federal government and dumped on the taxpayers.

eznark

Banned
Mardak said:
Economy.

Ron Paul predicted the housing bubble and explained why it would burst and even provided steps to avoid the bubble.

President Paul would have a stronger voice with a listening audience to have potentially avoided the crash.

President Paul also would have vetoed the corporate bailout of Wall St where debt and malinvestments of those corporations were bought by the federal government and dumped on the taxpayers.

You are the reason people dislike people who call themselves libertarians.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Chichikov said:
I think there's something genuinely appealing in the ethos of individualism and self sufficiency.

Libertarians don't like the actual individualism and self sufficiency part of libertarianism. What they like is the illusion of individualism and self sufficiency. That's what makes them feel good and rugged inside.

Piecake

Chichikov said:

Sure, individualism, self-sufficiency, and the whole what you earn/do for a living is what you deserve, etc sure sounds great at first, but if you think about it more deeply I would hope that most people would realize its a crock of shit.

If every baby born had the exact same opportunity to succeed, the same access to education, wealth, connections, etc, then I would be a libertarian as well. I mean, that system right there is totally fair and perfect, your achievements and failures are your fault alone. Well, too bad that mythical fairy land doesnt exist, though I am sure in the minds of libertarians it does

Mardak said:

If thats the case, then President Paul would have lead us towards another Great Depression

Mardak

eznark said:
You are the reason people dislike people who call themselves libertarians.
What's wrong about my distinction of a President Paul vs Congressman Paul? The two different titles explicitly differentiate their role and ability to sign/veto laws or write bills.

eznark

Banned
besada said:

Yes, that's what he said. Way to go.

What's wrong about my distinction of a President Paul vs Congressman Paul? The two different titles explicitly differentiate their role and ability to sign/veto laws or write bills.

It's presumptuous, ridiculous, absurd and annoying. You aren't speaking in fucking Klingon, we get what you are talking about when you say he'd veto something/sign something/vote on something.

Mike M

Nick N
Branduil said:
I don't think independents will be ready to vote for another Texas governor.
I keep seeing people positing variations on this hypothesis that people won't vote for Perry because both he and Bush were governors of Texas.

I didn't think it was actually possible to overestimate the unbridled idiocy of the electorate, but this might be pushing it. The idea that people would care about that over all other considerations? Really?

Chichikov

Mardak said:
Indeed we can look to history of electing Bush and Obama and see that the candidates presented to us by the corporate media want to keep spending money on wars. They might differ on which countries they want to attack, but they all just want to spend your money to kill people.
When I said history, I meant late 19th century.
You know, before we had the evil government intervening in free enterprise.

Mardak said:
Why not vote for Ron Paul who will stop the wasteful military spending if you also agree on that position?

Why get caught up in with tiny issues of ideological libertarianism that have little effect in today's Congress?
Opposing unemployment benefits and socialized medicine are not tiny issues of ideological libertarianism.

Evlar

Banned
Mike M said:
I keep seeing people positing variations on this hypothesis that people won't vote for Perry because both he and Bush were governors of Texas.

I didn't think it was actually possible to overestimate the unbridled idiocy of the electorate, but this might be pushing it. The idea that people would care about that over all other considerations? Really?
I think it's more that Perry will run on his record as Governor of Texas, much like Bush did. And Obama won't fail to point that out.

mj1108

PhoenixDark said:
Pretty sure there are millions of Americans who would love to get minimum wage right now, with 9% unemployment. That would be a suicidal talking point.

It's all part of the Republican plan for lots of jobs below federal minimum wage with no benefits. Give them enough rope and they'll go after abolishing the minimum wage so they can pay even less then.

Evlar said:
I think it's more that Perry will run on his record as Governor of Texas, much like Bush did. And Obama won't fail to point that out.

No doubt people will raise the issue of Perry wanting to secede.

Cyan

Banned
Mardak said:
Economy.

Sounds like government interference i.e. communism.

besada

Banned
eznark said:
My manheart belongs to Ryan Braun.

I had to look that up. A baseball player? He'll never understand your mind like I do.

He's probably a lot richer than I am, though.

Chichikov said:
Stay the fuck back.
That bitch is mine.

I have a list and shit.
And you probably know some Krav Maga shit. I'm backing off.

Mardak

Gonaria said:
If thats the case, then President Paul would have lead us towards another Great Depression
As opposed to what we're going through now? Sure, the effects might be more pronounced, but the good parts of the corporations will be kept running and perhaps sold to smaller banks that did not participate in the mortgage fraud. And this would have let the depression pass faster than what we're going through now. A faster recovery means more revenue for governments.

But the reason why the crash existed in the first place was partially triggered by the Federal Reserve's policy. Ron Paul understands that and would have avoided the bubble and subsequent crash.

What makes the people at the Federal Reserve so smart that they can pick out the correct interest rates? After the dot-com bubble, the Federal Reserve kept interest rates low and people got themselves into the attractive adjustable rate mortgages. The Federal Reserve then quickly increased interest rates and when the adjustable rate mortgages changed upwards to the new interest rates, home owners were stuck with a monthly payment they could not afford.

eznark

Banned
scola said:
What specifically did you find interesting about that? Nothing seemed remotely unusual to me.

I found the sheer dollar amount staggering first. Then I was surprised by who it was going to. Then I chuckled at the potential results of "getting money out of politics."

I'm going to snitch your tag to him.
Have you seen his t-shirt line? Braun has to bathe in irony (or he is a Jewish guido)

Evlar said:

On the other hand, Obama can also be accused of retaining some of Bush's policies.

Both of them are better off not mentioning Bush at all. And frankly, equating opponents to Bush is so yesterday's tactic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom