• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veezy

que?
RustyNails said:
You are wrong in your assertion that 2011 Libya will result in 1953 Iran. Mossadegh was overthrown in a CIA orchestrated coup d-etat after he tried nationalizing Iranian oil companies. UK did not like this, so it requested US' help to devise a brilliant plan which involved overthrowing a democratically elected leader. Col. Gaddafi came to power in a coup d'etat as well, when the King of Libya was abroad. Libyan case is pure grassroots case of people rising up against an oppressive ruler who had a fearsome reputation of clamping down dissent both locally as well as internationally. For example, he has sent hitmen to assassinate exiled dissidents abroad, particularly in Italy. NATO only got involved when OIC, Arab League and Libyan UN representatives, and Libyans in Benghazi pleaded for their help. Look at the countries in the world (both Arab and non Arab) who have recognized NTC as the legitimate government of Libya. See the pictures in previous pages where people are cheering the western leaders. Compare this involvement with the clandestine operation to overthrow Mossadegh in Iran, which hardly anyone outside MI6 and CIA knew about.

If anything, US should've sided with Gaddafi if we only cared only about oil exports. It's not like Gaddafi was nationalizing his oil companies or not selling us oil. US foreign policy's central tenet is to maintain what's working in it's favor by all means, instead of gambling for something that may or may not work in it's favor in the future. It intends to maintain status quo over change. America's worst nightmare is democracy in KSA.
I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said, and I never said that Libya was certainly another Iran. They're completely different situations that were sparked by different motivations.

I'm merely saying, while we should be happy for the current events, we still have no idea how the next several years will play out for Libya. I wish their people the best, i just hope they don't end up with something worse than the monster they had before.

That, and I hope they don't end up with somebody that really hates us for our support for Israel. I'd prefer it if they only kinda hated us for it. As an aside, does anybody know what the Israel government thinks about the Arab Spring?

quadriplegicjon said:
Thanks. Doesn't surprise me. My parents are in Florida and they think that Obama wanted to kill Medicare and Social Security. Seems like the Republican messaging was pretty effective down there.

How pathetic and sad. Then again it's Florida. One of the worst and dumbest states in the U.S..

ToxicAdam

You just called his parents dumb.

--- /// ---

Good news!

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) on Wednesday estimated deficits over the next 10 years will total $3.5 trillion, about half of what was projected at the beginning of the year.

The budget office also estimates this year’s deficit will run $1.284 trillion, $116 billion less than what was forecast in March.

The better forecast is due to two factors, CBO said. It reflects cuts mandated by the debt-ceiling deal signed into law earlier this year, and interest rate payments on the debt that are expected to be lower.

Or is it ... ?

CBO’s forecast for the deficit also depends on several dubious assumptions.

It expects all of the Bush-era tax rates to expire in 2013, and forecasts a sharp reduction in Medicare payments to doctors, which Congress has never allowed to take effect.

CBO has much rosier forecasts for the middle of the decade, with growth reaching 5.3 percent by fiscal 2015. This is a better forecast than the 3.7 percent growth CBO projected for 2015 in January.

The nation is on track to record its third straight year with deficits over $1 trillion. This year is set to come in as the third-worst budget deficit ever, after 2010 and 2009.

Even with the debt-ceiling deal in place, the national debt is forecast to grow to $14.5 trillion by 2021, CBO said

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/budget/177997-cbo-sees-decade-of-35t-in-deficits-

eznark

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
Thanks. Doesn't surprise me. My parents are in Florida and they think that Obama wanted to kill Medicare and Social Security. Seems like the Republican messaging was pretty effective down there.

I think what it shows is that the discussion from Monday (that poorly received GOP governors would be a blessing for Obama) is an absolute canard.

quadriplegicjon said:

To the extent that is true, that's partly Obama's fault, since he has made several statements about his willingness to compromise those programs.

I live in Florida. That means I'm dumb, too. :(

CBO has much rosier forecasts for the middle of the decade, with growth reaching 5.3 percent by fiscal 2015. This is a better forecast than the 3.7 percent growth CBO projected for 2015 in January.

So if a Republican becomes president, he or she will take credit for the economic growth.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
empty vessel said:
To the extent that is true, that's partly Obama's fault, since he has made several statements about his willingness to compromise those programs.
only in the name of compromise, not becuase he wants to cut them. The people who actually want to cut the programs are the republicans, so no, it's still stupid of them to blame obama.

Crisco

Banned
It's pretty clear that Obama is going to have an uphill battle to win re-election in 2012 due to the economy. Historically red states like Florida are going to be the hardest to convince, considering the only reason they voted for him in 2008 was because their retirement nest eggs had gone down the shitter and they blamed the GOP for it. We just finished watching the DOW drop below 11,000 for the first time in a while so they all got spooked again. Between now and the election he needs to not only hope the market recovers most of those losses, but paint the picture that the GOP is STILL responsible for the condition of the economy. It's a difficult, but not impossible task.

ToxicAdam

As with all Presidential elections, it comes down to the opponent. If he gets Perry, he will walk to a win. If he gets Romney, it will be a close election ala 2004.

He's still going to have a huge money/organizational advantage over whatever opponent he gets. Plus, I'm not convinced Republican voters are still as motivated as they were in 2010. Especially if Romney gets the nom.

Evlar

Banned
Crisco said:
It's pretty clear that Obama is going to have an uphill battle to win re-election in 2012 due to the economy. Historically red states like Florida are going to be the hardest to convince, considering the only reason they voted for him in 2008 was because their retirement nest eggs had gone down the shitter and they blamed the GOP for it. We just finished watching the DOW drop below 11,000 for the first time in a while so they all got spooked again. Between now and the election he needs to not only hope the market recovers most of those losses, but paint the picture that the GOP is STILL responsible for the condition of the economy. It's a difficult, but not impossible task.
Yep.

I believe, in the case of the Republican Presidential field, familiarity will breed contempt among "independents" and those Democrats most prone to being swayed. That's where Obama's hope lies. If Republicans could field an attractive candidate that could survive their nomination without being fatally infected by Crazy, Obama might as well pack his bags.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Evlar said:
Yep.

I believe, in the case of the Republican Presidential field, familiarity will breed contempt among "independents" and those Democrats most prone to being swayed. That's where Obama's hope lies. If Republicans could field an attractive candidate that could survive their nomination without being fatally infected by Crazy, Obama might as well pack his bags.

I personally don't think that's possible. It also depends on how many DEMs decided to be excited enough to vote.

ToxicAdam

Gold crash?

Gold plunged in New York, heading for the biggest drop in 18 months, on speculation that financial markets may be stabilizing, eroding the appeal of the precious metal as a haven.

Bullion has tumbled more than 5 percent in two days, erasing gains in the past two weeks that sent the metal up as much as 16 percent since Aug. 5 to a record $1,917.90 an ounce yesterday. On Aug. 16, Wells Fargo & Co. said rising speculative demand from investors had pushed the market into a “bubble that is poised to burst.”

You know it's going to happen .. just a matter of when.

Crisco

Banned
Evlar said:
Yep.

Personally I believe Obama's best hope is that the two most viable GOP nominees also happen to be Mormon. Most of America considers Mormons to be fucking weird. I actually live in Utah, and let me tell you, they are really fucking weird. All Obama has to do is let the word out about magic underwear and he's got this shit in the bag.

Jackson50

Crisco said:
Blaming the GOP for the state of the economy is a fool's errand. It would prove futile. Really, the problem for Obama is the economy has recovered enough for the election to be close, but growth has not been robust enough to reward. Consequently, he must campaign on issues that would matter on the margins. His optimal strategy would be to hammer the GOP on Medicare and Social Security. Those issues are significant enough to matter on the margins. And that may propel Obama to a close victory. The Democrats have the advantage on those issues. Additionally, he must attempt to portray the GOP nominee as an extremist. Individual candidates are usually inconsequential. But in a close election, even a slight disadvantage could prove costly. That is why Romney presents his most formidable opponent. It would be difficult to portray Romney as an extremist.

eznark

Banned
Crisco said:
Personally I believe Obama's best hope is that the two most viable GOP nominees also happen to Mormon. Most of America considers Mormons to be fucking weird. I actually live in Utah, and let me tell you, they are really fucking weird. All Obama has to do is let the word out about magic underwear and he's got this shit in the bag.

bigot

mj1108

eznark said:
I think what it shows is that the discussion from Monday (that poorly received GOP governors would be a blessing for Obama) is an absolute canard.

So the solution is to elect what would be a poorly received GOP candidate?

GhaleonEB

TacticalFox88 said:
When you're non-religious? Isn't that against Mormon code to marry a non-believer?
I became a non-believing heathen about six years into the marriage (married 12 total). We've adapted. :)

Also, she's not a Utah Mormon.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
GhaleonEB said:
I became a non-believing heathen about six years into the marriage (married 12 total). We've adapted. :)

Were you two goody-two-shoes Mormons while dating, too?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GhaleonEB said:

WHOA! How rocky was it at first with her and the family?

Perry stumbled out the gate hard. The establishment had been begging him to join the race, now they're looking for another savior. Initially I thought he would challenge Obama well given his jobs record in Texas...but now...dude just looks insane.

I maintain that if Obama faces Romney, he loses. He has nothing to run on, and the only motivation his supporters have is denying the WH from someone worse than him. Meanwhile I don't think the GOP will have motivation problems with Romney; their goal is kicking Obama out of office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom