• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
So this was the big speech we were all waiting for?
A rally-the-base. blame-shifting speech with no specifics and virtually no details whatsoever?
So what's the plan? The centerpiece is a continuation of payroll tax cuts?

Has the plan been released?

Uhhhh, what? Maybe your attention span is low and you spaced off when reading it or something. Maybe you could try watching it instead of reading it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
No, but it didn't feel like a "jobs plan" speech. It could have used more detail. I don't have an example to refer to but I think Clinton was much better at working in specifics with his speeches before Congress. People need to hear less rhetoric and more specifics. They need to hear details in order to gain confidence that Obama knows what he's doing.
Anyway, that's my opinion.
You are either very bad at reading, listening, comprehending, or everything all at once.

bathala

Banned
its summary in the back of a book jacket.
Full content is on Monday.

Do you really want him to open that 1000+ pages of plans while people waiting for a Football game?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
We really need "Poligaf 2011: The Mormon, The Witch, and the Warmonger" like whomever suggested it a few pages back

Rubenov

Nothing changes, once again proposing stuff that the tea folks won't accept, nor even care to consider.

Why do we even bother?

The specifics of what pay for all of the new spending were not listed. At a time where the general public is quite squeamish of deficits and debt, if people believe that the plan will not be realistically paid for or they do not agree with the proposed tax increases/spending cuts, the plan will be a failure.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
DOO13ER said:
Remind me of the Republican plan again?

comic_65613.jpg

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Chairman ObaMAO said:
I know some of you have sworn oaths to never raise any taxes on anyone for as long as you live. Now is not the time to carve out an exception and raise middle-class taxes, which is why you should pass this bill right away.

Glad he mentioned that. Shame those fucks into supporting your plan, Mein Fuhrer!

RustyNails said:
No seriously, I want to know. You said Obama doesn't have balls to apply pressure to GOP so I'm asking how he should do it?
How the fuck should I know?

At no point did I ever suggest that I knew a solution. I said that he won't even try. And he won't.

BertramCooper said:
How the fuck should I know?

At no point did I ever suggest that I knew a solution. I said that he won't even try. And he won't.
Guess what. Unless he has photos of republicans attending dirty parties in lingerie, there really isn't much he can do aside from motivate people.

Well, then let's talk about the most important detail. How many jobs will this create?
It's like you're trying desperately wrong to find fault in the speech just because you alone didn't understand it.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Dave Inc. said:
Guess what. Unless he has photos of republicans attending dirty parties in lingerie, there really isn't much he can do aside from motivate people.

I'll get to work on that.

Zoramon089 said:
It's like you're trying desperately wrong to find fault in the speech just because you alone didn't understand it.
Is it at all conceivable to you that someone might not have been impressed by another speech full of empty rhetoric, regardless of the speaker?

elrechazao said:
Is it at all conceivable to you that someone might not have been impressed by another speech full of empty rhetoric, regardless of the speaker?
There's being unimpressed and then there's making up faults that aren't there. It's legitimate to be upset because you don't think there's going to be any follow through, but to complain that it was lacking in details? That's just being oblivious.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
elrechazao said:

Have you been reading his responses? It's obvious that he did not comprehend what he read, yet criticized it anyway. Sorry, there's no defending that.

Zoramon089 said:
No. I desperately want to find something right about it. Seriously. This country needs confidence that someone knows wtf they're doing. They need to hear the plan. I would have preferred a lot more details and even a longer speech. This thing has been hyped for a while. I don't feel any better about job prospects. Do you? Are you confident this plan will drop the unemployment rate?

No. I desperately want to find something right about it. Seriously. This country needs confidence that someone knows wtf they're doing. They need to hear the plan. I would have preferred a lot more details and even a longer speech. This thing has been hyped for a while. I don't feel any better about job prospects. Do you? Are you confident this plan will drop the unemployment rate?

I'm not; because the people you vote for will block it. What is it exactly that you're looking for?

I saw a lot of good ideas in the speech and I'm sure when we get the details a week from Monday it'll make even more sense. You assume that the vast majority of the unemployed care to sit for hours listening to the President go into the intricate details of his plan. They don't. They want to hear the bullet points and know that whatever is planned will be enacted as quickly as possible. That's what he did

That's great for you, but most people would have tuned out if it had gone on for much longer. He had just the right length for a motivational, "let's get to work" speech.

I'll keep an open mind. But so far I'm not impressed. And it will be interesting to see how all of this will be paid for.

And Timedog... You really think a guy that's much smarter than Obama can't understand what he's talking about? Please.

KHarvey16

Something Wicked said:
The specifics of what pay for all of the new spending were not listed. At a time where the general public is quite squeamish of deficits and debt, if people believe that the plan will not be realistically paid for or they do not agree with the proposed tax increases/spending cuts, the plan will be a failure.

Politically, perhaps. Economically the desire to match spending with equal cuts is what will render this plan(or any plan) less effective than it otherwise would be. Spending right now is good, not cutting.

WowBaby

Well let's see..35000 schools to be fixed up and upgraded, roads, bridges, tunnels to be fixed...have you looked at a map of this country and seen the amount of roads we have?? When you walk outside, do you not see any kind of infrastructure?? Putting all those teachers back to work...I don't know how many people it would be, but it seems like it's gonna be a large number to me.

But then, there is the GOP...good bye jobs, goodbye tax cuts for middle class, goodbye teachers, goodbye America you were great...once.

I'll keep an open mind. But so far I'm not impressed. And it will be interesting to see how all of this will be paid for.

And Timedog... You really think a guy that's much smarter than Obama can't understand what he's talking about? Please.

lol. I may disagree with you on many issues but you know how to make me laugh.

thefro

KHarvey16 said:
Politically, perhaps. Economically the desire to match spending with equal cuts is what will render this plan(or any plan) less effective than it otherwise would be. Spending right now is good, not cutting.

The super-duper debt commission will be cutting projected spending growth 10 years from now.

Oblivion

Huh, seems the Kossers, Firebaggers, and ma boy Steve Benen all seemed to love the speech.

I realize that we still have Republicans that will make things very difficult to pass, but I've always said that Obama should have taken the fight to them from day 1. Present the argument to the American people and point out all the bullshit about deficits and tax cuts and such. The president can't force congress to pass a bill, but he can sway the public to side with him to the point that congress would hav little choice BUT to pass a bill.

AndyD

aka andydumi
WowBaby said:
Well let's see..35000 schools to be fixed up and upgraded, roads, bridges, tunnels to be fixed...have you looked at a map of this country and seen the amount of roads we have?? When you walk outside, do you not see any kind of infrastructure?? Putting all those teachers back to work...I don't know how many people it would be, but it seems like it's gonna be a large number to me.

But then, there is the GOP...good bye jobs, goodbye tax cuts for middle class, goodbye teachers, goodbye America you were great...once.

I think he wants a list of which roads will get fixed and on what day.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Zoramon089 said:
oh, he understands it. he's more smarter than us.

Puddles

Banned
cooljeanius said:
20,000 posts... time for a new thread?

Yep, but instead of it being a straightforward process, the authorities have mandated that we take part in a thread-naming contest that will waste time and delay the thread being created. More needless regulation stifling innovators. Big Moderation needs to step out of the way and let the thread creators go to work.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Puddles said:
Yep, but instead of it being a straightforward process, the authorities have mandated that we take part in a thread-naming contest that will waste time and delay the thread being created. More needless regulation stifling innovators. Big Moderation needs to step out of the way and let the thread creators go to work.
after that rant, i doubt your tag will ever be removed.

Celsior

Something Wicked said:
Well, firstly, we're going to need signs along the roads stating the money that will repave such roads came from this bill.
Next we need to go through an expensive bidding process to pick the company to pave this road with the main decisions being through lobbying and political favors.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Just read the speech because I wasn't able to be home to watch it. I like it. I think it makes sense.

I'm curious whether Congress can stop being stupid and focus on what matters most.

Oblivion

Puddles said:

More like Op(ressor)iate, amirite?

ToxicAdam

ClovingSteam said:
I have to ask because its been killing me since I started posting here, who is the kid in your avatar?

Different kid then when I started. Just random shit typed in Google Image Search.

This is the one you might be thinking of.

booya-3.jpg

ToxicAdam said:
Different kid then when I started. Just random shit typed in Google Image Search.

This is the one you might be thinking of.

booya-3.jpg

Ah yea. Wasn't sure if that was your son or what. But it goes perfectly with your persona here for some reason lol.

Measley

Listening to this speech and comparing it to the bile that was the GOP debate really brought home how important the 2012 election is going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom