• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.
TacticalFox88 said:
At the very least he called out a good bit of Republican bullshit and tactics.

haha this caller is blaming Obama's admin on him being unemployed for a year. Apparently he worked for a federal contracting company and Obama personally wouldn't let the contract continue. Federal jobs bad... unless its my job...

ClovingSteam said:
haha this caller is blaming Obama's admin on him being unemployed for a year. Apparently he worked for a federal contracting company and Obama personally wouldn't let the contract continue. Federal jobs bad... unless its my job...
Holy shit, wat? hahaha

legacyzero

Banned
Great speech, President Obama. It's a shame that the people you are preaching to are so polarized, that you are basically talking to yourself. It's a testament to how our government needs change, that the GOP sat on their ass, refusing to try to at least support Obama's attempts to get this place in order..

Crisis

Banned
Hey guys. I literally missed virtually all of the president's speech. I'm reading up on it some online now but can you guys fill me in on the major points?

meadowrag

Banned
Damn, Obama talking to Congress like the inept goons that they are.
Fiery speech, can't wait to see GOP reactions, should be classic.

The House Republicans are too stupid and selfish to seriously consider this bill, and President Obama is too craven to follow through on his promises.

Isn't political posturing awesome?

thekad

Banned
BertramCooper said:
The House Republicans are too stupid and selfish to seriously consider this bill, and President Obama is too craven to follow through on his promises.

How is Obama supposed to pass his plan without House Republicans?

GhaleonEB

PhoenixDark said:
Honestly, republicans should just pass the bill. If the economy crashes again or continues to stall, Obama will get all the blame.
Or, they could not pass the bill. And when the economy crashes again Obama will get the blame.

Gattsu25

Banned
closing loopholes that allow tax havens and as a result being able to lower the corporate tax rate?

republicans will never vote for that

thekad said:
How is Obama supposed to pass his plan without House Republicans?
He obviously doesn't plan on it. Again, it's just political posturing.

It's so he can come back in a year and say, "The GOP killed the JOBS BILL!"

He doesn't have the balls to put any sort of pressure on the GOP to negotiate on this.

That was a fucking speech. It will be hilarious to watch the presidential debates next year. Obama knows how to talk.

Also hilarious to see Boehner not clap at tax cuts and stuff. Obstruction for the sake of obstruction.

Also funny to see the reaction to the republicans that didnt show up. Their constituents are furious that theyre being paid, and after a month vacation, they cant be bothered to sit down for a 45 minute speech. Major backfire.

Puddles said:
So that portion that they're claiming is mandated to be set aside for stuff like transportation museums also maintains sidewalks and bike paths?

Yup. The "museum" thing is a red herring.

"Preservation" includes making sure that abandoned rail corridors aren't enroached upon and can be sued in the future as trails.

Fox318

BertramCooper said:

He doesn't have the balls to put any sort of pressure on the GOP to negotiate on this.
If he wants reelection he will need too.

BertramCooper said:

So how do you propose he apply pressure on GOP?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
diddles said:
do you give every new Gameloft game that comes out a chance? do you read previews for it, and try the demo, and check the reviews to see if it's maybe finally a good game this time?

nope, you know it's from Gameloft, and you know it's gonna be a turd, so you don't even waste your time.

That is an absurd comparison, and quite frankly, I would not trust any review publication that gives a negative review to any game which they have no info on and have not played.

So this was the big speech we were all waiting for?
A rally-the-base. blame-shifting speech with no specifics and virtually no details whatsoever?
So what's the plan? The centerpiece is a continuation of payroll tax cuts?

Paches

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
A rally-the-base. blame-shifting speech with no specifics and virtually no details whatsoever?

The "no details or specifics" is a tired line the GOP keeps trotting out. There was tons of detail and specifics, read the transcript.

_woLf

It's okay, a majority of congress republicans probably weren't paying attention during the speech either.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat

Remind me of the Republican plan again?

Paches-EJ- said:
The "no details or specifics" is a tired line the GOP keeps trotting out. There was tons of detail and specifics, read the transcript.
I read the transcript. I didn't watch it. It was a political speech. Look at a Clinton speech for how to combine details and rah-rah. This one didn't have it.

Did you watch the same speech as rest of us did? He outlined several things. He can't go into minutae of each and every new policy in 30 mins. If you want detailed policy work, you should refer to the bill.

I heard Medicaid/Medicare "reform" - so funding reduction of the tune of $100s of billions?

He also hinted at capital gains tax increases as well. None of that is very specific.

I read the transcript. I didn't watch it. It was a political speech. Look at a Clinton speech for how to combine details and rah-rah. This one didn't have it.
What do you want him to do? Go on about marginal tax rate percentages, tax brackets and statistics in a speech?

The plan is being released to the legislators, all the specifics will be in there, we don't need to have him review the fucking thing in detail in his speech.

DOO13ER said:
Remind me of the Republican plan again?
Well, it's 59 steps and ideas to jump start the economy. It's about 150 pages. If you buy it on Amazon Kindle, it's even in color! I don't know if it costs money or not though

Slime

Banned
Good speech, but unfortunately it won't mean anything in the long run. I don't see the Republicans greenlighting anything that actually helps the country until they've won the election and that plan comes from one of their own. They'd rather hold the country hostage than support a bill that might give Obama political points this close to the election. They've held out this long, so what's another 14 months?

Paches

Has the plan been released?

He said the bill will be submitted to Congress next week, and then you can see the entire thing. Until then, refer to the ideas he brought to the fore front in his speech.

WowBaby

The Republican's job plan is, of course, to cut taxes for the rich. This will cause all this money they save to trickle down my chimney. I can't wait!!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I know you are not this dense:
  • Pass this jobs bill, and starting tomorrow, small businesses will get a tax cut if they hire new workers or raise workers' wages. Pass this jobs bill, and all small business owners will also see their payroll taxes cut in half next year. If you have 50 employees making an average salary, that's an $80,000 tax cut.
  • Pass this jobs bill, and we can put people to work rebuilding America. Everyone here knows that we have badly decaying roads and bridges all over this country.
  • The American Jobs Act will repair and modernize at least 35,000 schools.
  • And we'll set up an independent fund to attract private dollars and issue loans based on two criteria: how badly a construction project is needed and how much good it would do for the economy.
  • Pass this jobs bill, and thousands of teachers in every state will go back to work.
  • Pass this jobs bill, and companies will get extra tax credits if they hire America's veterans.
  • Pass this jobs bill, and companies will get a $4,000 tax credit if they hire anyone who has spent more than six months looking for a job.
  • Pass this jobs bill, and the typical working family will get a fifteen hundred dollar tax cut next year.
  • I'll also offer ideas to reform a corporate tax code that stands as a monument to special interest influence in Washington.
  • And to help responsible homeowners, we're going to work with Federal housing agencies to help more people refinance their mortgages at interest rates that are now near 4% -- a step that can put more than $2,000 a year in a family's pocket

Dave Inc. said:
What do you want him to do? Go on about marginal tax rate percentages, tax brackets and statistics in a speech?

The plan is being released to the legislators, all the specifics will be in there, we don't need to have him review the fucking thing in detail in his speech.
No, but it didn't feel like a "jobs plan" speech. It could have used more detail. I don't have an example to refer to but I think Clinton was much better at working in specifics with his speeches before Congress. People need to hear less rhetoric and more specifics. They need to hear details in order to gain confidence that Obama knows what he's doing.
Anyway, that's my opinion.

edit: text of speech if it hasn't been posted yet.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...2a1aaQ?docId=4516f5e2425f4c7c99451f160a146bcd

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
WowBaby said:
The Republican's job plan is, of course, to cut taxes for the rich. This will cause all this money they save to trickle down my chimney. I can't wait!!

i know!!@...im gonna start a small business!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom