• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
Cyan said:
I hear gay people don't even use knives and forks, they just eat with their hands.
He's talking about these guys:
tl9Sf.jpg

Macam

Banned
Cyan said:
I'm guessing the problems conservatives had were:
a) it was mandated, i.e. gov't intrusion into private life
b) "HPV vaccines promote promiscuity!" etc etc

You would be spot on.

That said, there's no shortage of reasons not to like Perry (and for all the 'strong economy' nonsense, the state still racked up a deficit that was as large as California's in terms of state GDP). Of course, it generally doesn't help when you execute a potentially innocent man and then blatantly cover up the follow up investigation.

Salazar

RustyNails said:
He's saying Gays are uncivilized neanderthals that must be disciplined and educated on the proper etiquette and gentlemenly ways of copulation.

This slams the brakes on centuries of regarding gays as being too civilized.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Fricken Jon Stewart. I had a feeling he'd have to resort to some moronic form of false equivalency after repeatedly hurting Chris Wallace's feelings.

He just went on to say that not raising the debt ceiling would lead to the same apocalyptic/dystopian future as raising the debt ceiling, but ONLY relying on raising taxes like the democrats want without any entitlement cuts.

Utterly pathetic.

Oblivion said:
Fricken Jon Stewart. I had a feeling he'd have to resort to some moronic form of false equivalency after repeatedly hurting Chris Wallace's feelings.

He just went on to say that not raising the debt ceiling would lead to the same apocalyptic/dystopian future as raising the debt ceiling, but ONLY relying on raising taxes like the democrats want without any entitlement cuts.

Utterly pathetic.

Yeah, maybe you should stop trying to get your political information from watching the Daily Show. That clip was about futuristic gorillas throwing feces. I can't believe you're trying to parse that clip into some kind of political analysis. Christ.

Salazar

worldrunover said:
Yeah, maybe you should stop trying to get your political information from watching the Daily Show.

I think Oblivion has broader horizons.

Stewart's political commentary isn't immune from criticism merely because he is occasionally humorous. No more than Mencken's freakishly cretinous sexism could be excused because he peddled lulz.

Averon

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/58098.html

Mark Halperin apologizes for Obama gaffe

Mark Halperin, editor-at-large for Time, called President Obama “a dick” on Thursday on a popular MSNBC morning show and then quickly apologized.

“I thought he was a dick yesterday,” Halperin, who also is a senior political analyst for MSNBC, said on Morning Joe, referring to the President’s conduct during his press conference.

Did Obama say or do anything dickish yesterday or is this another example of the media jumping on Obama for being even ever so slightly combative?

eznark

Banned
besada said:
I just got around to watching it. It's, um, bold. I suspect it will work well with the audience he's seeking. But is it bold enough to get the bobble heads to run it for free? I'm not sure. But just think, if this is what the ads are like in the early primaries...well, let's just say our mutual fondness for full on political crazy is probably going to get a good airing.

Edit:wow, when I started typing in Anita Dunn in my search bar, "Anita Dunn Mao" was the second thing in the predictive list. It's an old Beck schtick that ignores that it's an ironic repeat of a Lee Atwater quote, apparently.

Exactly.
There's combative, but the way he kept on saying, "Good try, though," to people who asked him questions he didn't want to answer was a little dickish, I thought.

That seems more childish than dickish, is there video?

Chichikov

Oblivion said:

Utterly pathetic.
I think you missed the point of that bit.
It was making fun of the doom and gloom predictions on both sides, not a commentary on the outcome of our decisions regarding the debt ceiling.

Loudninja

Senate canceling July 4 recess next week
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Senate will cancel its planned July 4 recess next week and remain in session beginning Tuesday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said.

In making the announcement Thursday on the floor of the Senate, Reid noted the need for Congress to pass legislation raising borrowing authority. But he did not say that such a bill would be ready for the Senate to debate next week.

Instead, Reid, a Democrat, said Republicans were "willing to risk our economy" by standing in the way of a debt limit increase if a related deficit-reduction measure included any revenue increases.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2011/06/senate_canceling_july_4_recess_next_week.php

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GhaleonEB said:
Has more to do with blocking Obama's recess appointment authority as anything.

No way that's true. If so that's sad. But I think it has more to do with the fact that Obama called them out yesterday.

mckmas8808

Senate Votes to Streamline the Confirmation Process
By CARL HULSE
Published: June 29, 2011

Senate_in_session.jpg

The Senate took the rare step of relinquishing power on Wednesday, easily passing a measure that would exempt about 170 executive branch appointees from confirmation in an effort to streamline a process that has increasingly tied up the Senate and become punishing for those tapped for administration jobs.

By a vote of 79 to 20, senators approved the bipartisan bill that would allow presidents to fill cabinet agency public affairs jobs and other positions that do not involve policy making without putting appointees through what even senators acknowledge has become a cumbersome and partisan ordeal.

“The Senate has always been known as a cooling saucer,” said Senator Charles E. Schumer, the New York Democrat who heads the Rules Committee. “But as of late it’s become a Sub-Zero freezer. Nominees of impeccable qualification and indisputable support have been frozen out of the confirmation process.”

At the same time, the Senate approved, 89 to 8, a second proposal that would expedite consideration of appointees to about 250 positions on part-time boards and commissions, slicing the number of confirmable posts to 1,000 from about 1,400.

Still, Mr. Schumer and other authors of the first measure ran into resistance from senators who were reluctant to give up authority over the administration and surrender leverage they can exert to capture the White House’s attention by raising obstacles to nominations.

At the insistence of critics of the measure, the bill’s authors agreed to continue to subject to confirmation about a dozen cabinet agency staff members who essentially lobby Congress as well as the top financial officers at many agencies.

“It is hard to surmount the turf battles and prerogatives and jurisdictional disputes, but in the end we did,” said Senator Susan Collins of Maine, the top Republican on the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs panel. “It is the first progress that has been made in reforming the nomination process in decades.”

When John F. Kennedy was president, only about 280 executive branch positions were subject to Senate review and approval. But that number has escalated, and the action on Wednesday makes only a dent in those confirmable posts. Cabinet secretaries and their top assistants and hundreds of other staff workers in the administration would still have to clear the Senate.

Sponsors of the bill said that all the workers holding exempted positions would report to people still subject to confirmation. Decreasing the number of confirmable positions will help the Senate focus on those who truly merit serious scrutiny, they said.

“Some argue we are giving up our power of advice and consent,” said Senator Joseph I. Lieberman, the independent from Connecticut and a chief author of the bill. “But I say the legislation strengthens the Senate’s power by freeing us up to concentrate on nominees who will actually shape national policy.”

The bill was opposed by 20 mostly conservative Republicans even though it was co-sponsored by Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the Republican leader. It must still be approved by the House, but the House would generally defer to the Senate on such an institutional matter. Only the Senate votes on confirmations.

The push to cut the confirmation workload accelerated at the beginning of the year when a group of more junior Democratic senators began clamoring for changes in the rules to reverse the proliferation of filibusters.

The bill also creates an administration working group that would report within 90 days on a single new vetting form to be filled out by nominees who do face a Senate hearing and vote. Both the administration and the Senate require nominees to provide extensive background and financial information and complaints have mounted that the requirements are duplicative.

Conservatives called the measure a mistake in a time of an expanding federal government.

“Rather than look at this behemoth we have created, we are looking to make it somewhat less accountable,” said Senator Jim DeMint, Republican of South Carolina. “I think we really have to recognize when we are treating symptoms and not really solving the problem.”

But Mr. DeMint was defeated in efforts to alter the measure, including his push to continue to keep agency public affairs officials subject to confirmation. “Heaven help us if these public affairs people are making policy,” said Ms. Collins, who opposed Mr. DeMint. “They are just the messenger.”

Other posts that would no longer be voted on by the Senate include the assistant secretary for administration in the Department of Agriculture, the assistant secretary for budget and programs in the Department of Transportation and the United States treasurer.

##################

What is this? The Senate actually did something this year? Holy crap!!11!! lol
I'm surprised to see this give up some power. But happy non the less.

Kosmo said:
Probably referring to Obama's refusal to even address the War Powers Resolution question in a dickish manner.
That's not being dickish, but evasive.

CNN opinion piece said his "barbs" were mainly against house members.
Repeatedly during the 70 minutes, Obama took snide jabs and belittled Republicans. He surely infuriated many of them. They won't appreciate being told they are not as responsible as his young daughters doing their homework. They especially won't like him saying they have been going home too much, and should stay in town to work on the deficits.
This has more to do with house members feeling hurt over Obama chiding them. I would say Obama's tone is rightly deserved. Like a post above that mentioned futuristic gorillas throwing feces, that's a succinct description of house today. Obama comes out forcefully and all of a sudden he's the big bad meanie.

I like the new Obama, don't care about others think. Paddle those rumps Mr President. They are in need of some.
mckmas8808 said:
No way that's true. If so that's sad. But I think it has more to do with the fact that Obama called them out yesterday.
I agree. They have been taking recess breaks for years now and all of a sudden decide to cancel the most important one.

RustyNails said:
That's not being dickish, but evasive.

CNN opinion piece said his "barbs" were mainly against house members.
This has more to do with house members feeling hurt over Obama chiding them. I would say Obama's tone is rightly deserved. Like a post above that mentioned futuristic gorillas throwing feces, that's a succinct description of house today. Obama comes out forcefully and all of a sudden he's the big bad meanie.

I like the new Obama, don't care about others think. Paddle those rumps Mr President. They are in need of some.
I think he was right to take jabs at Congress. I just thought he was needlessly condescending towards the press corps; they're just doing their jobs.

Salazar

“It is hard to surmount the turf battles and prerogatives and jurisdictional disputes, but in the end we did,” said Senator Susan Collins of Maine, the top Republican on the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs panel. “It is the first progress that has been made in reforming the nomination process in decades.”

We did not solve ze problem.

We made ze problem disappear.

eznark

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
if the senate can't properly use their powers in a timely manner, they deserve to lose them

This reeks of "we're sick of having actual work to do, can we get back to the bicker-for-televison" please. Just terrible.

The bureaucrats are the ones who make the real decisions that affect everyday bums like you guys. These people shouldn't get a free pass. The handshake-and-nod nomination processes are what get us people like Brownie. I don't know why any of us should be cheering the senate making it easier for the executive branch to grant favors.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
eznark said:
What an atrocious bill. The executive branch just keeps getting stronger and stronger.
oh come on, we are 2 and a half years into obama's presidency. Why are there 1.4k appointments being blocked, 400 of which are temporary?

mckmas8808

eznark said:
This reeks of "we're sick of having actual work to do, can we get back to the bicker-for-televison" please. Just terrible.

The bureaucrats are the ones who make the real decisions that affect everyday bums like you guys. These people shouldn't get a free pass. The handshake-and-nod nomination processes are what get us people like Brownie. I don't know why any of us should be cheering the senate making it easier for the executive branch to grant favors.

Then again the Senate needs to do their job. And since they've agreed that they can't, at least let the President (be them DEM or REP) do it.

eznark said:

They're not sick of doing the work

They never even DID the work they were suppose to do.
Stalling hundred of appointments because the president is a black democrat is just as bad as the president granting "favors"
It may even be worse, because at least now things will actually get done, rather than just having a long line of people waiting to do their job, mainly because one party despises the other party and wants nothing more than to just shut down the entire government.

eznark

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
oh come on, we are 2 and a half years into obama's presidency. Why are there 1.4k appointments being blocked, 400 of which are temporary?

Because this group of senators are shit-heads. They will not always be there. This change will. I'd rather these appointments be vetted and blocked than rubber stamped though. As it is, there isn't even a rubber stamp any longer.

This has nothing to do with Obama. The executive already has an inordinate amount of authority and the past two presidents (Bush especially) have worked to exponentially expand that power. It's absolutely dangerous.

Stalling hundred of appointments because the president is a black democrat is just as bad as the president granting "favors"
Oh for fucks sake. This is racist, now?

balladofwindfishes said:
They're not sick of doing the work

They never even DID the work they were suppose to do.
It may even be worse, because at least now things will actually get done, rather than just having a long line of people waiting to do their job, mainly because one party despises the other party and wants nothing more than to just shut down the entire government.
It's kinda nice to know that some things I read on the internets can still surprise me.

GhaleonEB

mckmas8808 said:

Elizabeth Warren Appointment Dangles As Democrats Duck Recess Fight With Republicans

Republicans in Congress have called out the Democrats for a fight over recess -- but there are few signs the Democrats are going to show up.

In a bid to stop President Obama from making Senate-circumventing appointments while Congress is out -- most notably Consumer Financial Protection Bureau architect Elizabeth Warren -- House Speaker John Boehner is banning his members -- and the Senate -- from going on holiday.

For one chamber to bar the other from recess is an extraordinary step that has seldom been perpetrated in the history of Congress, yet it is easily done because the Constitution requires each chamber to consent if the other will be out for more than three days.

It's not that Boehner wants to force his side and the Senate to work while they’re not on recess. He is filling the time with “pro forma sessions” where a couple of members take to the floor to punch the clock every fourth day so Congress can remain “in session.” But lawmakers don’t have to be bothered by any legislation.​

Reid is just putting lipstick on the pig.

Note they did the same thing over the last few recesses.

The freakout over Obama's cheesy jabs at republicans illustrates just how pathetic the media and GOP are, and the standard at which they hold Obama's above the fray persona. This is a guy who is generally accused of purposely sabotaging the economy and trying to kill senior citizens, yet he's apparently out of line for comparing republicans to children.

I don't remember anyone in the media accusing Bush of being "dickish" to the media during his many tense press conferences either.

PhoenixDark said:
The freakout over Obama's cheesy jabs at republicans illustrates just how pathetic the media and GOP are, and the standard at which they hold Obama's above the fray persona. This is a guy who is generally accused of purposely sabotaging the economy and trying to kill senior citizens, yet he's apparently out of line for comparing republicans to children.

I don't remember anyone in the media accusing Bush of being "dickish" to the media during his many tense press conferences either.
That last bit is definitely not true. Especially considering all of the stupid nicknames they had to tolerate.

Jackson50

Invisible_Insane said:
There's combative, but the way he kept on saying, "Good try, though," to people who asked him questions he didn't want to answer was a little dickish, I thought.
Yeah. He was slightly insolent and pugnacious. But I could not care less. Honestly. I even approved to a degree. But his steadfast refusal to seek Congressional authorization is disappointing. Moreover, his rationale is unsatisfying.

Jackson50 said:
Yeah. He was slightly insolent and pugnacious. But I could not care less. Honestly. I even approved to a degree. But his steadfast refusal to seek Congressional authorization is disappointing. Moreover, his rationale is unsatisfying.
Since we're lighting up Somalia now (again), I suspect the next rationale to be something along the lines of, "Well, if we're giving the finger to everyone, it's not really hostile, is it?

Chichikov

eznark said:
Edit: advanced tag quote maneuver, engage!
6McL3.png

Let me update my list!

Things eznark is wrong about -
  • Brent Favre
  • Congressional confirmation
  • The economy
  • Taxation
  • National security
  • Healthcare
  • Climate change

Chichikov

Big Baybee said:
Haha, he called Obama a dick on national television. Jesus Christ, the lack of respect the media has for the president is amazing.
Fuck "respect for the office", I hated that bullshit during the Bush years and I hate it now.
He's a public servant.
I blame The West Wing.

It maybe a bit unprofessional, but that's about it.

Invisible_Insane said:
That last bit is definitely not true. Especially considering all of the stupid nicknames they had to tolerate.

Show me an example of one then. Private complaints and public ones are quite different

Chichikov said:
Fuck "respect for the office", I hated that bullshit during the Bush years and I hate it now.
I blame The West Wing.

It maybe a bit unprofessional, but that's about it.
If you can't express yourself better than calling someone a dick, you have no business being on television.

Chichikov

Big Baybee said:
If you can't express yourself better than calling someone a dick, you have no business being on television.
True, but this has nothing to do with the amount of respect the president gets from the media.
It was equally unprofessional had he called him a dreamboat.

Chichikov said:
True, but this has nothing to do with the amount of respect the president gets from the media.
It was equally unprofessional had he called him a dreamboat.
Haha, I guess. But who actually does that? Ed Shultz maybe?

Chichikov said:
That's the wrong solution to the problem.
The last thing this country needs is more executive power and less congressional oversight.
Along these lines, I read an article by some Yale professor the other day on the Daily Beast regarding the increasing powergrab of the executive branch.
The Lawless Presidency
His solution was to set up a legal tribune.
To respond to this danger, Congress should create a new legal tribunal within the executive branch that will be more insulated from raw political pressures. This panel should consist of nine judges, appointed by the president and confirmed by the Senate, for 12-year terms. This will provide the relative independence needed to consider whether the sitting president's lawyers are presenting serious legal arguments for their unilateral actions. The new tribunal would give the president the institution he needs, under modern conditions, to fulfill his constitutional obligation “to take care that the laws be faithfully executed.” The present system too readily transforms the rule of law into an apologia for arbitrary presidential power.
Not sure if this is a good idea. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom