• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Jackson50 said:
Yeah. He was slightly insolent and pugnacious. But I could not care less. Honestly. I even approved to a degree. But his steadfast refusal to seek Congressional authorization is disappointing. Moreover, his rationale is unsatisfying.
I made this post a few months back, but I think it bears repeating.

Well, Congress has the authority to deratify the UN charter, which would make any statutory authorization of military action in libya passed by the UN Security Council irrelevant with regards to the US, and then the president would have to go through congress.

That option is there.

Also, it should be noted that the United States Mission to the UN has veto power on the Security Council, meaning any authorization of force has to go through the US. The US Mission to the UN is led by the Permanent Resident of the US to the UN, an ambassador which is nominated by the President and must be approved by the Senate (the position is currently held by Susan Rice)

In other words...

1. The UN must go through the US (as well as China, Russia, France, and the UK) to authorize the use of force, thanks to the veto power all permanent members of the security council have. Any one of these five countires can object and stop any resolution which authorizes the use of force.

2. The US delegation to the UN is approved by the Senate.

3. The executive branch has to go through the senate to receive permission to ratify any treaty.

4. The UN Charter is a treaty that has been ratified and adopted by the US.

5. Under Chapter VII of the UN Charter, the Security Council is allowed to "determine the existence of any threat to the peace, breach of the peace, or act of aggression" and to take military and nonmilitary action to "restore international peace and security". This includes wars and acts of aggression in violation of international resolutions, as well as civil wars and acts of aggression by a member nation against its own people.

6. UN Resolution 1970 (2011) was passed by the Security Council and demanded an immediate end to the violence in Libya and for the government to address the "legitimate demands of the population".

7. Gadaffi's regime did not comply with resolution 1970.

8. UN Resolution 1973 (2011) was passed by the Security Council, which called (again) for a cease-fire, imposed a no fly zone over libya and authorized the use of all means to protect civilians and civilian-populated areas in Libya, except for an occupational force.

I do not see anything wrong here.

Since there is some ambiguity and dispute about the conditions under which the Security Council can approve the use of force, that is the reason for the initial passage of resolution 1970. It recognized the conflict within Libya and called for its peaceful resolution by the parties involved. When the violence continued, gadaffi was acting in direct violation of an international resolution, which led to 1973's passage.

Resolution 1970 recognized the acts of aggression internationally, while Resolution 1973 specified a UN response under Chapter VII.

At no point in this process was the US powerless to stop the authorization of military action, the power to authorize the US to act is defined by a treaty whose ratification was consented to by the Senate, and the people representing the US in the United Nations who had the power to stop the authorization of military action also had to be approved by the Senate.

Having been given this statutory authorization, the subsequent deployment of the armed forces by the commander in chief is in compliance with the war powers act.

What is the problem? The only thing this talk has shown is that the Iraq invasion was almost certainly in violation of the UN Charter. :p

PS:

On March 1, the Senate unanimously passed resolution S.RES.85 urging the United Nations Security Council to impose a Libyan no-fly zone and encouraging Gaddafi to step down.

You could argue that the House should have a greater say in international matters and the ratificaiton of treaties, but that requires a change to the constitution.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Bank of America will pay $8.5 billion in settlement
By Aaron Smith @CNNMoney June 29, 2011: 12:23 PM ET

bank-of-america-6.jc.top.jpg

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- In the biggest reckoning of the 2008 financial crisis, Bank of America said Wednesday it will pay $8.5 billion to investors burned by fraudulent mortgage securities.
Shares of Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500) rose 2.5% in morning trading. The settlement lifted other bank stocks, as well. Citigroup (C, Fortune 500) and JPMorgan Chase (JPM, Fortune 500) rose 2%.

The settlement goes to 22 investors, including BlackRock Inc (BLK, Fortune 500)., the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, MetLife Inc (MET, Fortune 500), PIMCO, Goldman Sachs Asset Management and other financial firms.
Bank of America also said it expects to report a second-quarter net loss of between $8.6 billion and $9.1 billion, or a range of 88 cents to 93 cents per share.
Excluding the mortgage settlement costs, BofA would have reported second-quarter income of 28 cents to 33 cents per share
Raymond James analyst Anthony Polini described the settlement as "potentially a tremendous positive, a lot bigger than the 3% move [BofA] had out of the gate today."
But Polini and other analysts say that it remains to be seen how BofA will handle the ongoing hangover of the housing crisis.

Incomplete mortgage docs raise questions at BofA
"The tail, if you will, from that settlement was a bit longer than people thought," said Polini. "I think people need to feel reassured that what they heard [from BofA] is what will happen."
Separately, BofA faces investigation from attorney generals from all 50 states for its mortgage practices.
Federal regulators and attorneys general are looking into allegations that BofA, along with the nation's four other largest mortgage servicers, improperly foreclosed on homeowners by relying on shoddy documentation and foreclosure robo-signers who didn't verify records.
Attorneys general, in particular, are trying to eke out another lump sum settlement from those servicers that could also range in the billions of dollars, which would be used to help underwater homeowners

Going a step further in his probe, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman last month requested meetings with staffers from BofA -- as well as Morgan Stanley (MS, Fortune 500) and Goldman Sachs (GS, Fortune 500) -- seeking information on their roles in the mortgage crisis that led to the downfall of the economy.
Last week, JPMorgan Chase (JPM, Fortune 500) agreed to pay a $153 million settlement a separate mortgage-related case. Though that settlement is peanuts compared to the one announced by BofA, it serves as yet another reminder of the ongoing mortgage mess that continues to foul the banking sector.

In addition to the $8.5 billion cash payment, BofA said it is also setting aside $5.5 billion for liabilities related to the government-sponsored mortgage backing firms Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. The bank said some of that money was also going to exposure to other parties that are not government sponsored, without specifying what they were.
Much of Bank of America's exposure to mortgage securities stems from its 2008 acquisition of home loan originator Countrywide Mortgage Corp. The securities, which packaged numerous home mortgages and sold them to investors, faltered after the housing market collapsed.

Investors claimed that they had been misled by the packages, many of which were highly rated even though mortgages from borrowers with questionable credit.
"This is a major step forward for our company," said BofA chief executive Brian Moynihan, in a Webcast with reporters. He said the settlement allows his company to eliminate the risk from mortgage issues stemming from its purchase of Countrywide.
Richard Bove, analyst with Rochdale Securities, said there is plenty of uncertainly about the future of BofA. But he expects the company to make a profit in the second half of this year, and he thinks that the worst of the financial fallout has passed.
"That uncertainty is substantially less today than it was yesterday," said Bove. "There isn't enough out there for another hit on anywhere near this magnitude."
BofA said the settlement is subject to court approval before it can be finalized.

###################

And now the big boys are getting their just due. I hope 20 years from now we will be able to look back and point to settlements like this and state that these big banks that screwed things up actually did pay for their crimes.

mckmas8808 said:
And now the big boys are getting their just due. I hope 20 years from now we will be able to look back and point to settlements like this and state that these big banks that screwed things up actually did pay for their crimes.
ahaahahahahahahahahaha

Just when you think they could not be more of a joke.

These people that abuse the First Amendment to print garbage have the gall to file a lawsuit trying to squelch someone else's First Amendment rights? Amazing. Hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Birthers sue Esquire for more than $100 million over satire they say hurt book sales
By Dylan Stableford | The Cutline – 1 hr 7 mins ago

If you thought birther conspiracy theorists went the way of Donald Trump's presidential hopes, think again.

Joseph Farah--who runs the World Net Daily website and a related book imprint--and Jerome Corsi, author of "Where's the Birth Certificate? The Case That Barack Hussein Obama Is Not Eligible to Be President," held a press conference in Washington, D.C., yesterday to announce that they have filed a lawsuit against Esquire magazine and its owner, Hearst, over an satirical article by Mark Warren published last month.

"This was a serious mistake by Mark Warren and Esquire for which they will pay dearly," Larry Klayman, lawyer for the plaintiffs, said. "It was obviously calculated with malice to destroy not just the book and its sales, but the reputations of Mr. Corsi and Mr. Farah."
The piece ("BREAKING! Jerome Corsi's Birther Book Pulled From Shelves!") was published shortly after President Obama released his longform birth certificate--also the time when Corsi's book was released. But, as Forbes' Jeff Bercovici noted, some readers failed to recognize the satire, forcing Esquire to add this disclaimer:

We committed satire this morning to point out the problems with selling and marketing a book that has had its core premise and reason to exist gutted by the news cycle, several weeks in advance of publication. Are its author and publisher chastened? Well, no. They double down, and accuse the President of the United States of perpetrating a fraud on the world by having released a forged birth certificate. Not because this claim is in any way based on reality, but to hold their terribly gullible audience captive to their lies, and to sell books. This is despicable, and deserves only ridicule.​

Kosmo

Banned
speculawyer said:
Just when you think they could not be more of a joke.

These people that abuse the First Amendment to print garbage have the gall to file a lawsuit trying to squelch someone else's First Amendment rights? Amazing. Hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Worse lawsuits have been won in the US. I'm looking at you McDonald's coffee lady!

Mike M

Nick N
Cyan said:
Watch out, every time this comes up people get slammed for mocking it.
And not unjustifiably so. She wasn't just scalded, she received third degree burns. The award didn't even cover her medical bills.

GaimeGuy

Kosmo said:
Worse lawsuits have been won in the US. I'm looking at you McDonald's coffee lady!
That was won because the coffee was served at temperatures where the time to remove the coffee after spilling to avoid 3rd degree burns was too low.

I mean yes, the woman is responsible for spilling the coffee, but the severity of the burns caused by such a spill are due to the temperature at which McDonald's served their coffee.

They served coffee that caused 3rd degree burns almost instantly.

eznark

Banned
Mike M said:
And not unjustifiably so. She wasn't just scalded, she received third degree burns. The award didn't even cover her medical bills.

Serves her right for making coffee nation-wide luke warm.

Mike M

Nick N
eznark said:
The invisible hand of the market will inevitably yield an entrepreneur who will recognize a gap needing to be filled. Patience.

GaimeGuy

When your coffee is served at a temperature 75% of the way from body temperature to water's boiling point, i think that's a TAD above lukewarm.

eznark

Banned
Mike M said:
The invisible hand of the market will inevitably yield an entrepreneur who will recognize a gap needing to be filled. Patience.

The free markets response was to serve luke warm coffee. The invisible hand has been slapped by the litigious gauntlet.

Dude Abides

Banned
eznark said:
The free markets response was to serve luke warm coffee. The invisible hand has been slapped by the litigious gauntlet.

Nope. If McDonald's customers like their coffee at such temperatures, then McDonald's can charge them an extra couple pennies to cover the costs of the harms that ensue. It's a great example of the law promoting economic efficiency.

Also, McDonald's already knew that people had been burned by its coffee.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I know Fox News already probably gets a lot more attention 'round these parts than it deserves, but I never really sat down to watch it until recently and my mind is still full of fuck.

At work the kitchen TV is pretty much locked on Fox so I caught a good hour or so of their afternoon programming. A blonde lady was stepping in for Bill O'Reilly who took his typically confrontational, flippant and oh-so-balanced delivery to new levels of nutfuckery, to the point where every segment was pretty much her and a neocon commentator shouting down some puny, nasal opponent who easily gets steamrolled in whatever topic is up for "debate."

Following that was Hannity's show, which although I didn't stick around the opening summary made it sound like a Michelle Bachmann cry-o-rama over how badly she was being mistreated by the evil media (comments by Ann Coulter, of course), with, "CAN YOU AFFORD FOUR MORE YEARS OF PRESIDENT OBAMA?" to break up the monotony.

I used to think people around here exaggerated how bad it was, but got damn y'all were serious.

Chichikov

eznark said:
Are you fucking kidding me?

Oh well...

Things eznark is wrong about -
  • Brent Favre
  • Congressional confirmation
  • The appropriate temperature for coffee
  • The economy
  • Taxation
  • National security
  • Healthcare
  • Climate change

p.s.
This is not a commentary about that particular case, I don't know all the fact and I don't care all that much; this is about the fact that coffee is served not nearly hot enough in this country.

gcubed

Chichikov said:
Are you fucking kidding me?

Oh well...

Things eznark is wrong about -
  • Brent Favre
  • Congressional confirmation
  • The appropriate temperature for coffee
  • The economy
  • Taxation
  • National security
  • Healthcare
  • Climate change

p.s.
This is not a commentary about that particular case, I don't know all the fact and I don't care all that much; this is about the fact that coffee is served not nearly hot enough in this country.

i think he's agreeing with you.

DOO13ER said:
I know Fox News already probably gets a lot more attention 'round these parts than it deserves, but I never really sat down to watch it until recently and my mind is still full of fuck.

At work the kitchen TV is pretty much locked on Fox so I caught a good hour or so of their afternoon programming. A blonde lady was stepping in for Bill O'Reilly who took his typically confrontational, flippant and oh-so-balanced delivery to new levels of nutfuckery, to the point where every segment was pretty much her and a neocon commentator shouting down some puny, nasal opponent who easily gets steamrolled in whatever topic is up for "debate."

Following that was Hannity's show, which although I didn't stick around the opening summary made it sound like a Michelle Bachmann cry-o-rama over how badly she was being mistreated by the evil media (comments by Ann Coulter, of course), with, "CAN YOU AFFORD FOUR MORE YEARS OF PRESIDENT OBAMA?" to break up the monotony.

I used to think people around here exaggerated how bad it was, but got damn y'all were serious.
So you didn't like it?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
No that hard guys,
Chichikov is agreeing with Eznark on coffee, thus he struck that off of the list of things Eznark IS wrong about.

At any rate, there goes my killer campaign slogan. Had the signs printed up and everything

"EZNARK - Wrong on Coffee, Wrong for America"

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
mckmas8808 said:
Senate Votes to Streamline the Confirmation Process
By CARL HULSE
Published: June 29, 2011

http://www.knowledgerush.com/wiki_image/4/43/Senate_in_session.jpg

The Senate took the rare step of relinquishing power on Wednesday, easily passing a measure that would exempt about 170 executive branch appointees from confirmation in an effort to streamline a process that has increasingly tied up the Senate and become punishing for those tapped for administration jobs.

By a vote of 79 to 20, senators approved the bipartisan bill that would allow presidents to fill cabinet agency public affairs jobs and other positions that do not involve policy making without putting appointees through what even senators acknowledge has become a cumbersome and partisan ordeal.

“The Senate has always been known as a cooling saucer,” said Senator Charles E. Schumer, the New York Democrat who heads the Rules Committee. “But as of late it’s become a Sub-Zero freezer. Nominees of impeccable qualification and indisputable support have been frozen out of the confirmation process.”

At the same time, the Senate approved, 89 to 8, a second proposal that would expedite consideration of appointees to about 250 positions on part-time boards and commissions, slicing the number of confirmable posts to 1,000 from about 1,400.

Still, Mr. Schumer and other authors of the first measure ran into resistance from senators who were reluctant to give up authority over the administration and surrender leverage they can exert to capture the White House’s attention by raising obstacles to nominations.

At the insistence of critics of the measure, the bill’s authors agreed to continue to subject to confirmation about a dozen cabinet agency staff members who essentially lobby Congress as well as the top financial officers at many agencies.

“It is hard to surmount the turf battles and prerogatives and jurisdictional disputes, but in the end we did,” said Senator Susan Collins of Maine, the top Republican on the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs panel. “It is the first progress that has been made in reforming the nomination process in decades.”

When John F. Kennedy was president, only about 280 executive branch positions were subject to Senate review and approval. But that number has escalated, and the action on Wednesday makes only a dent in those confirmable posts. Cabinet secretaries and their top assistants and hundreds of other staff workers in the administration would still have to clear the Senate.

Sponsors of the bill said that all the workers holding exempted positions would report to people still subject to confirmation. Decreasing the number of confirmable positions will help the Senate focus on those who truly merit serious scrutiny, they said.

“Some argue we are giving up our power of advice and consent,” said Senator Joseph I. Lieberman, the independent from Connecticut and a chief author of the bill. “But I say the legislation strengthens the Senate’s power by freeing us up to concentrate on nominees who will actually shape national policy.”

The bill was opposed by 20 mostly conservative Republicans even though it was co-sponsored by Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the Republican leader. It must still be approved by the House, but the House would generally defer to the Senate on such an institutional matter. Only the Senate votes on confirmations.

The push to cut the confirmation workload accelerated at the beginning of the year when a group of more junior Democratic senators began clamoring for changes in the rules to reverse the proliferation of filibusters.

The bill also creates an administration working group that would report within 90 days on a single new vetting form to be filled out by nominees who do face a Senate hearing and vote. Both the administration and the Senate require nominees to provide extensive background and financial information and complaints have mounted that the requirements are duplicative.

Conservatives called the measure a mistake in a time of an expanding federal government.

“Rather than look at this behemoth we have created, we are looking to make it somewhat less accountable,” said Senator Jim DeMint, Republican of South Carolina. “I think we really have to recognize when we are treating symptoms and not really solving the problem.”

But Mr. DeMint was defeated in efforts to alter the measure, including his push to continue to keep agency public affairs officials subject to confirmation. “Heaven help us if these public affairs people are making policy,” said Ms. Collins, who opposed Mr. DeMint. “They are just the messenger.”

Other posts that would no longer be voted on by the Senate include the assistant secretary for administration in the Department of Agriculture, the assistant secretary for budget and programs in the Department of Transportation and the United States treasurer.

##################

What is this? The Senate actually did something this year? Holy crap!!11!! lol
I'm surprised to see this give up some power. But happy non the less.

I'm assuming the Republican expect to take the WH, thus they want to make it easier for them to make appointments after they completely stalled most of them for Obama.

gcubed

scola said:
No that hard guys,
Chichikov is agreeing with Eznark on coffee, thus he struck that off of the list of things Eznark IS wrong about.

At any rate, there goes my killer campaign slogan. Had the signs printed up and everything

"EZNARK - Wrong on Coffee, Wrong for America"

i'm stepping out of this conversation, its confusing me to an extent

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Chichikov said:
Fuck "respect for the office", I hated that bullshit during the Bush years and I hate it now.
He's a public servant.
I blame The West Wing.

It maybe a bit unprofessional, but that's about it.

I hate to bring race into this, but I see no other justification. I just find it odd that 'respect for the office' all of a sudden has no meaning after a black democrat took over.

Kosmo said:
You really do live in a world a false information.

Certainly there should be limits on punitive damages. But after having been told the coffee was too hot many times and then this happened . . .

McDonalds1.jpg

Behind everyone of these cases are 12 American jurors that made the decision. Usually they have decent reasons behind their decisions.

http://silverfoxlair.blogspot.com/2010/10/hot-topic.html

Kosmo

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
I hate to bring race into this, but I see no other justification. I just find it odd that 'respect for the office' all of a sudden has no meaning after a black democrat took over.

Oh, I thought 'respect for the office' went out the window about 8 years ago. Have you been asleep all this time?

Cyan

Banned
Kosmo said:
Oh, I thought 'respect for the office' went out the window about 8 years ago.
Shit, longer ago than that.

I wonder if there's ever actually been 'respect for the office' or if it's always been past tense?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
quadriplegicjon said:
My wife just recorded a documentary about that the other day. I'm really curious to see the details of the case.
Hot Coffee is very good. Those bitching about that lady's case should go watch it. It also covers 3 other cases to show how big companies have so disrupted the civil justice system and convinced Americans that a huge percentage of lawsuits are frivolous, successful and hurting the country. It also gets into how punitive caps are retarded. Corporations have just run amuck by perverting if not completely making up cases to push its agenda of keeping regular Americans from getting anything worthwhile out of the court system.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
GaimeGuy said:
That was won because the coffee was served at temperatures where the time to remove the coffee after spilling to avoid 3rd degree burns was too low.

I mean yes, the woman is responsible for spilling the coffee, but the severity of the burns caused by such a spill are due to the temperature at which McDonald's served their coffee.

They served coffee that caused 3rd degree burns almost instantly.

Yeah, people don't realize that McDonald's pretty much overclocked their coffee machines to make the coffee even hotter than it should be. It was so that the Coffee would stay hotter sitting on the coffee machine until customers used it all.

Trojita said:
Yeah, people don't realize that McDonald's pretty much overclocked their coffee machines to make the coffee even hotter than it should be. It was so that the Coffee would stay hotter sitting on the coffee machine until customers used it all.
Now see if we actually had federal regulations on proper temperatures for hot beverages, that poor 'ol lady's legs wouldn't have needed to get scalded in order for McD to change their temperatures!

Chichikov

quadriplegicjon said:
Clinton got respect from the right?
Bush got respect from the left?

And it shouldn't have any meaning; ever noticed how it's always the party who controls the white house who talks about respect for the office?
It's little more than a way to deflect criticism and silence opposition; this is not England, we don't have kings, we have public servants.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
RustyNails said:
Now see if we actually had federal regulations on proper temperatures for hot beverages, that poor 'ol lady's legs wouldn't have needed to get scalded in order for McD to change their temperatures!
According to that Hot Coffee documentary, they only lowered it 10 degrees after that lawsuit. Before that it was around 170-180 degrees.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Chichikov said:

And it shouldn't have any meaning; ever noticed how it's always the party who controls the white house who talks about respect for the office?
It's little more than a way to deflect criticism and silence opposition; this is not England, we don't have kings, we have public servants.

Yeah but you don't have to call the President a "dick" on national TV.

RustyNails said:
No regulations required . . . people just need to do what reasonable person would do.

Would you give scalding hot coffee to people in their cars through a drive-through window? Would you continue doing it after people complained about being burned?

speculawyer said:
No regulations required . . . people just need to do what reasonable person would do.

Would you give scalding hot coffee to people in their cars through a drive-through window? Would you continue doing it after people complained about being burned?
I would if it made a difference to my profits :)

Chichikov said:

Show me a journalist who called Bush a vulgar name on national tv during his presidency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom