• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rememer I use to consider something in which the political parties would be out of government and into a home. Like trying to find a way so that its the voters who "unionize" in a way and form their own parties but politicans can't affliate themselves to a particular party. Imagine that say OWS united a bit further or the Tea Party and the leaders of those movements list politicians they recommend and vote for and thus the people vote for them.

Then reality came to me.

Objectively, I support proportional representation with reasonable thresholds for representation. PR is inclusive which may enhance satisfaction with democracy. And I would support electoral reform in the U.S. if it were accompanied by broader institutional reform. Presently, I am reluctant to introduce additional political parties into our system. Our current institutional environs is not propitious for the consensus building a more diverse party system might necessitate. Honestly, I think if we introduced minority parties into our present system, the problems would only be compounded.

I am curious to what sort of change you would support? From your statement it seems you have somthing in mind as an ideal outcome but are reluctant due to pragmatic concerns? Can you explain your postion more thoroughly?

Loudninja

tranciful

As I have suggested in the past - we should ban organized political parties and make people run on their merits.

I think getting the money out of politics and adopting the alternative vote would both help make 'merits' much more important in politics.

-Alternative vote system so we're not forced to vote for the lesser of two evils
-Limit campaign fund raising
-Limit campaign spending
-More televised debates, less TV ads
-Consider public funded campaigns (I'm not yet entirely convinced this would help)

Except it forces candidates into irrational stances in order to maintain party support. You don't see a problem with that?

Your excuse is essentially: "I'm lazy, deal with it."

They stick with party lines because they don't get money from the party if they go off message. Get the money out of politics.

Jackson50

Seriously, I am curious how old Kosmo is. Sounds like some stuff some kid in high school would come up with.
Or Rick Perry. Remember when he revealed his scheme to "fix" Washington? Kosmo must have lapped it voraciously.
I am curious to what sort of change you would support? From your statement it seems you have somthing in mind as an ideal outcome but are reluctant due to pragmatic concerns? Can you explain your postion more thoroughly?
I'm not sure there is an ideal outcome. Nonetheless, I prefer not to aggravate the situation. My concern stems from combining multipartism with presidentialism. It's an institutional arrangement that typically exacerbates deadlock. If you consider the lack of cooperation during the current session problematic, could you imagine introducing additional political parties into the calculus? As for reform I would support, I think reforming the Senate would prove beneficial. We should ensure that our current system functions properly.

Kosmo

Banned
My excuse is that I want to know what policies a candidate supports and declaring allegiance to a party platform is the most efficient way to do that.

By forcing people into party affiliation to really have any chance of getting elected, it's essentially supporting stereotyping out of laziness.

Kosmo

Banned

I don't support Bachman's statements, but the "closing ranks" that has been done around Huma is pretty hilarious. People are talking of her like she is some super important political figure, when in fact she is just a former intern, now State Dept. "confidant" who is married to an ex-Congressman who was tweeting his dick around.

Rumors of her being Hillary's secret lover aside, of course

I don't support Bachman's statements, but the "closing ranks" that has been done around Huma is pretty hilarious. People are talking of her like she is some super important political figure, when in fact she is just a former intern, now State Dept. "confidant" who is married to an ex-Congressman who was tweeting his dick around.

Wow Kosmo.

KingGondo

Banned

You're right, it's not a big deal at all when a sitting Congresswoman publicly (and baselessly) accuses a member of the president's administration of being an Islamic extremist in an attempt to rile up her mouth-breathing constituents.

Your adjective "hilarious" fits the situation perfectly.

She's still an ex-congressman's wife. Like it or not, it's a big deal.

I too think it's hilarious when peoples' lives are threatened because some idiot fundie from Minnesota is reviving the McCarthy era. Good show, old chap!

Consider also that she's attacking Keith Ellison, a fellow Congressman from her own state, one that incidentally has the highest Nigerian population in the country. You think it's okay to be making these incendiary remarks? Well, as long as when someone actually gets shot she comes out with a press release saying it was a joke or something.

Kosmo

Banned
I too think it's hilarious when peoples' lives are threatened because some idiot fundie from Minnesota is reviving the McCarthy era. Good show, old chap!

Consider also that she's attacking Keith Ellison, a fellow Congressman from her own state.

Her life was not threatened in any way more than kooks that threatened Bush or Obama or make silly remarks on Twitter.

An individual, described as a Muslim man, made the unspecified threat after Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) last week claimed Abedin’s family had ties to the Muslim Brotherhood and asked for a probe to see if she is helping the Islamist organization.

The man was questioned by the NYPD and the State Department and has not been charged, sources said.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Consider also that she's attacking Keith Ellison, a fellow Congressman from her own state, one that incidentally has the highest Nigerian population in the country. You think it's okay to be making these incendiary remarks? Well, as long as when someone actually gets shot she comes out with a press release saying it was a joke or something.

Highest Somali population outside of Africa I think. It was kind of fascinating moving to Minnesota and seeing just how common woman in hijabs are

By forcing people into party affiliation to really have any chance of getting elected, it's essentially supporting stereotyping out of laziness.

The problem is that if the government was full of multiple parties, we'd simply have even more division and nothing would get done since no one would ever have a majority. Which would mean parties would join together as in parliamentary systems, meaning even more compromise. It's an inefficient system.

I think it would make more sense for the filibuster to be drastically changed (not eliminated) so that the senate could actually get things done as it once did historically. I think people would be far more motivated and into politics if the votes had actual consequences on their lives in major ways every day. The gridlock and constant compromises tend to make people complacent and not realize what is happening. Whereas if you suddenly lost access to birth control or taxes were suddenly raised, you'd take notice immediately

On a side note, I wish democrats would take a page from Scott Walker and ram shit through immediately.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
So how many here deriding Bachman have actually read the 16-page letter?

(*crickets*)

Here, read it for yourself: http://www.scribd.com/doc/100244266/Bachmann-Letter-Responding-to-Ellison

Now if we can keep the discussion on the actual letter, please let me know what you have an issue with and not just the MSNBC talking points.

Specifically read item 2 relating to Abedin. It's hardly incendiary.

You are honestly defending Bachmann's bullshit? What the fuck dude.

(*crickets*)

Here, read it for yourself: http://www.scribd.com/doc/100244266/Bachmann-Letter-Responding-to-Ellison

Now if we can keep the discussion on the actual letter, please let me know what you have an issue with and not just the MSNBC talking points.

Huma's dead father's community organization had a person who was part of another organization that may or may not have been linked with the Muslim Brotherhood, which conclusively means that Huma Abedin is a secret Islamic spy hell bent on creating terror babies with the most pro-Israeli congressman in the congress (as a cover of course), and also steal secret White House documents and leak them to Hamas and Hezbollah.

Her life was not threatened in any way more than kooks that threatened Bush or Obama or make silly remarks on Twitter.
You realize the kooks that threaten Bush or Obama or make silly remarks on Twitter are actually investigated and it's treated as a serious crime, right?

Whatever you're weird.

Kosmo

Banned
Huma's dead father's community organization had a person who was part of another organization that may or may not have been linked with the Muslim Brotherhood, which conclusively means that Huma Abedin is a secret Islamic spy hell bent on creating terror babies with the most pro-Israeli congressman in the congress (as a cover of course), and also steal secret White House documents and leak them to Hamas and Hezbollah.

I'm so glad you watch the Daily Show - I should have disqualified their talking points as well.

You realize the kooks that threaten Bush or Obama or make silly remarks on Twitter are actually investigated and it's treated as a serious crime, right?

Whatever you're weird.

Correct, as was the case here. And as is typically the case, they are determined to be no threat at all, as happened here.

Since I know you guys are lazy, here is the text - which part are you taking issue with?

LNdlf.png

Ot62R.png

I'm so glad you watch the Daily Show - I should have disqualified their talking points as well.

Correct, as was the case here. And as is typically the case, they are determined to be no threat at all, as happened here.

Since I know you guys are lazy, here is the text - which part are you taking issue with?

http://i.imgur.com/LNdlf.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ot62R.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3WcuvL737A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3WcuvL737A[/URL]

Kosmo

Banned
The problem is that everyone quotes him. He never responds with anything of substance or adds anything to the discussion, but people still want to quote him. You just can't ignore his particular brand of lazy hate because of it.

Substance is above - I'm still waiting for someone to address the facts instead of going "DERP Bachman DERP"

Jackson50

(*crickets*)

*Raises hand*

You only respond to the liberal straw man inculcated in your feeble mind by talk radio and Fox News.

I take umbrage with the entire letter. It propagates baseless anti-Muslim hysteria. But regarding Abedin specifically, the incredulity expressed at her qualification for security clearance is beyond the pale. Not only is the argument fallacious, the evidence is poor. The association of her family to the MB is highly tenuous. The mere existence of the charge is incendiary and deplorable.

The Technomancer

LNdlf.png

Ot62R.png

Her father supported a guy who worked for another organization that was known to work with The Muslim Brotherhood? Really? I'm pretty sure every one of us have relatives with similar "connections" to something distasteful.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Her father supported a guy who worked for another organization that was known to work with The Muslim Brotherhood? Really? I'm pretty sure every one of us have relatives with similar "connections" to something distasteful.

I'm about as related to Kurt von Schleicher as she is to the Muslim Brotherhood.

The Technomancer

I mean, you can make a possibly decent connection that her father therefore supported the Muslim Brotherhood in some of its ideals (maaaaaybe) but with a connection like that the gulf between "may support" and "is working for" is a gaping chasm. To say nothing of then suggesting that his daughter might be "working for" them.

The Technomancer

She didn't.

Ot62R.png

The only reason security clearance would be an issue is if her "connections" to the Muslim brotherhood might be a threat to security. Bachman seems to be suggesting that she wasn't even investigated for this, which is absurd. The far more reasonable assumption would be that she was investigated in the course of seeking security clearance and they realized how tenuous the connection was.

Again, if you suggest that a person's affiliations are a threat to security then you are saying something about the nature of those affiliations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom