• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharbhund

who cares about the IRA? They're white

Here's someone else that enjoys palling around with terrorists (of the Islamic variety):

5JDW5.jpg

Bolton has long spoken in favor of the People's Mujahedin of Iran (also known as the Mujahedin-e Khalq, or MEK),[105] "an armed Islamic group with Marxist leanings"[106] which has long been on the U.S. State Department list of Foreign Terrorist Organizations.[107] According to the State Department, the MEK "[f]ollow a philosophy that mixes Marxism and Islam."[107] In the 1970s, MEK members, who "had been trained by the Soviet Union in guerilla warfare and supported Khomeini . . . assassinated U.S. military officers then working in Iran. MEK members actively took part in the 1979 seizure of the U.S. embassy in Tehran, according to a U.S. government report."[108]
According to conservative activist Kenneth Timmerman, executive director of the Foundation for Democracy in Iran:
Iranian-Americans openly refer to MEK leader Massoud Rajavi as the “Pol Pot” of Iran, because they believe he would conduct wholesale massacres of his political opponents should the current regime implode and the MEK seize power through organized street violence. In the group’s “16 points” for a future “democratic” Iran, they promise political freedom to all – except their political enemies.[108]
On January 25, 2011, Bolton drew a standing ovation at a Brussels conference in support of the MEK, giving a speech in which he "backed MEK’s legitimacy, and the notion of removing it from the list of terrorist organizations."[109] Georgetown law professor David D. Cole has pointed out that "the United States government has labeled the Mujahedeen Khalq a 'foreign terrorist organization,' making it a crime to provide it, directly or indirectly, with any material support [including] engag[ing] in public advocacy to challenge a group’s 'terrorist' designation," under the Supreme Court's 2010 decision in Holder v. Humanitarian Law Project.[110]

Ot62R.png

The only reason security clearance would be an issue is if her "connections" to the Muslim brotherhood might be a threat to security. Bachman seems to be suggesting that she wasn't even investigated for this, which is absurd. The far more reasonable assumption would be that she was investigated in the course of seeking security clearance and they realized how tenuous the connection was.

Again, if you suggest that a person's affiliations are a threat to security then you are saying something about the nature of those affiliations.

Kosmo, how the fuck can you read that and defend Bachman? Seriously

codhand

Now if we can keep the discussion on the actual letter, please let me know what you have an issue with and not just the MSNBC talking points.

My issue is that her signature is on a document she clearly doesn't have the mental capacity to write.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I don't support Bachman's statements, but the "closing ranks" that has been done around Huma is pretty hilarious. People are talking of her like she is some super important political figure, when in fact she is just a former intern, now State Dept. "confidant" who is married to an ex-Congressman who was tweeting his dick around.

Rumors of her being Hillary's secret lover aside, of course

That's low even coming from you, Kosmo.

Dram

Romney gets warning from Australian leader

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-gets-warning-australian-leader-020039649.html

The Australian foreign minister has privately warned Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney that foreign leaders see "America in decline."

That's according to Romney, who says he met with Foreign Minister Bob Carr in a San Francisco hotel Sunday evening shortly before a Republican fundraiser.

Romney says Carr suggested that America could improve that international perception "with one budget deal" that helps balance the budget.

A Romney spokesman says the foreign minister requested the private meeting. The campaign would not say whether the two discussed foreign policy.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Here's a neat piece by Jonathan Chait http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/07/this-quote-shows-why-our-government-is-doomed.htmldiscussing the political calculus on which the House GOP is dependent: their elections are largely referendums on the President (and thus, the inverse relationship of economic success during his tenure). Meaning, the GOP recognizes that their constituents don't even care whether they do their jobs, but how the President does his. Therefore, prevent him from doing his to succeed. Shrewd.

Political scientists have long debated whether it is possible for voters to actually hold their elected officials responsible under divided government. If voters just use crude metrics like the state of the economy to judge the incumbent party, how can they figure out who to credit or blame if there are two incumbent parties sharing power?

The experience of the current House Republican party suggests that the dilemma is even worse than the pessimists considered. The trouble here is not just one for the voters. What if the politicians in Congress come to understand that the voters are not judging their behavior at all? The evidence shows that people tend to vote in large part on the state of the economy, and they also hold the president solely responsible for it. Now add to that an opposition-controlled Congress that believes, plausibly, that it is running in an election that is a referendum on the president.

Suppose my editors told me that my pay would be entirely based on their evaluation of Dan Amira’s performance, not on my performance. Would I work as hard? Probably not. Now alter that scenario so that my success is inversely tied to Dan’s, so if he fails, I get more money, and if he succeeds well enough, I may lose my job. And then imagine I have a lot of ability to make life hard on him — he can’t publish anything unless I sign off on it. This probably wouldn’t result in us publishing a very good blog.

GhaleonEB

Kosmo defending Bachmann. Fantastic.

It's kind of refreshing that he's not even dancing around it.

Except he's kind of stepped in it here.

According to the Republican presidential hopeful, Senator Carr also touched on America's economic vulnerabilities during their chat.

"I met today with the Foreign Minister of Australia. He said something, and I said 'Can I quote you?' and he said yes. He said, 'America is just one budget deal away from ending all talk of America being in decline,''' Governor Romney told attendees at a fundraiser today.

''And this idea of America in decline, it was interesting [Carr] said that, he led the talk of America being in decline. See that's not talk we hear about here as much as they're hearing there. And if they're thinking about investing in America, entrepreneurs putting their future in America, if they think America's in decline they're not gonna do it."

The repeated comments can be seen as a not-so veiled attack on US President Barack Obama and his handling of the economy.

But despite headlines today such as ''Mitt Romney Gets Grim Warning From Australian Leader'', a spokesman for Senator Carr says Australia's Foreign Minister was talking up the US economy, not talking it down.

That is, any fears that Australia's foreign minister has been overseas criticising a key alliance parnter, would be misplaced.

''That interpretation is not correct,'' the spokesman told The National Times

Indeed, Senator Carr has used a similar phrase about the US budget before - on people such as former World Bank chief Robert Zoellick - to indicate his belief in the US economy's strengths and potential.

The comments did not get as much attention at the time. Then again, Mr Zoellick was not running for president.

Meeting with international leaders and then misrepresenting their private comments to benefit your political campaign. Good start, dude. Can't wait for that overseas trip you're planning.

Romney completely botched this

Associated Press (AP) reported on Monday that Senator Carr suggested to Mr Romney that the US could improve the perception of foreign leaders that America was "in decline" with one budget that helped to balance the books.

But Senator Carr said reports suggesting his comment was a criticism of the US economy were wrong.

He said his exact comment to Mr Romney was: "America is just one budget deal away from ending all talk of America being in decline," Senator Carr said in a statement on Monday.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/national/14345544/bob-carr-denies-romney-diplomatic-gaffe/

Seriously, who does this? As a business man he's certainly used to hearing things in private from clients that he wouldn't reveal in public. This reeks of supreme desperation.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/national/14345544/bob-carr-denies-romney-diplomatic-gaffe/

Seriously, who does this? As a business man he's certainly used to hearing things in private from clients that he wouldn't reveal in public. This reeks of supreme desperation.

Romney is pretty desperate to be President? You haven't realized that yet?

Also, that comment would actually be good for Obama. 'I offered the big deficit reduction deal, GOP said No"

Diablos

Trending up seems an overstatement. It's mainly stagnant, and will likely decrease as the economy worsens over the summer. By just about any historical indicator, he's done.
7CBfA.png

Meh.

I know it's a rolling average but god damn. He needs to say at like 48-52 and trend upward heading into the fall.

I don't understand the difference. Carr's "correct" comment clearly implies the "incorrect" one. Carr is still an idiot. His "correct" comment is no less absurd than the "incorrect" (same) one.

Does his statement even necessarily imply balancing the budget?

Ha. Apparently, I think so. What the hell else would it mean if not? Just word salad?

GhaleonEB

7CBfA.png

Meh.

I know it's a rolling average but god damn. He needs to say at like 48-52 and trend upward heading into the fall.

Swings like that have been pretty common with Gallup, and are often the result of an odd day in polling. Three days from now, that day will roll off and he'll be back to about even, as he has been.

And not only is it bad for Romney that he misrepresented the comments, but he made Carr look bad. Officials don't talk shit about an allied country in public while visiting them. Romney took Carr's private meeting and turned it into an embarrassment for both of them. That's just going to make leaders that Romney meets with during his trip even more careful with him, having seen what he will do with their private meetings.

What a fool.

7CBfA.png

Meh.

You know that's going to bounce back in like three days, right?

Did we not just have this happen like a month ago where you were flipping shit because his approval was 42% and then it was 50% a week later?

Maybe I'm just thinking in local terms, but in California, a "budget deal" just means any budget that's been able to get passed by the legislature.

But how would something as routine as passing a budget (something the US government does every year) "end all talk of America being in decline"? That's what makes it word salad if nothing else is implied. It's just gibberish. Why didn't the last budget end that talk? Or the one before that? What is special about the next one? The budget's substance is totally irrelevant to whether America is in decline, only its existence matters? It's just nonsense.

Plus, balanced budgets are all the rage in Australia. Of course, Australia runs a trade surplus, so its balanced budget does not have the effect of driving the private sector bankrupt. An American balanced budget would be utterly disastrous given its large trade deficit.

Kosmo

Banned
But how would something as routine as passing a budget (something the US government does every year) "end all talk of America being in decline"? That's what makes it word salad if nothing else is implied. It's just gibberish. Why didn't the last budget end that talk? Or the one before that? What is special about the next one? The budget's substance is totally irrelevant to whether America is in decline, only its existence matters? It's just nonsense.

LOL, where have you been the last few years? Congress has not passed a budget in over 3 years.

GhaleonEB

Gallup is also flagged by 538's blog as the most conservative leaning poll.

IIRC, they are weighting the electorate according to the 2010 turnout. I'm kinda surprised every time Obama leads at all with them.

LOL, where have you been the last few years? Congress has not passed a budget in over 3 years.

You mean a non-binding budget resolution? Correct. But they've been passing the actual budget.

And not only is it bad for Romney that he misrepresented the comments, but he made Carr look bad. Officials don't talk shit about an allied country in public while visiting them. Romney took Carr's private meeting and turned it into an embarrassment for both of them. That's just going to make leaders that Romney meets with during his trip even more careful with him, having seen what he will do with their private meetings.

What a fool.

Exactly. Also, how does Romney respond to this pushback? He's not like he can double down say something like "he knows what he said, as do I." This strikes me as a case of someone being so used to having no consequences to his words/lies finally leaving the bubble and getting in trouble.

This thread is, like, half actual discussion, half responses to Kosmo saying something stupid. I mean, fairly consistently at this point.

It's kind of annoying.

He keeps it interesting. What else do we have to talk about, Romeny just flip flopping some more. Nothing really interesting until the debates. Since congress is pretty much at a standstill until after the elections.

Jesus. That article is fantastic. It is almost a direct parallel to what Obama said that Rmoney lambasted him on.

GhaleonEB

Exactly. Also, how does Romney respond to this pushback? He's not like he can double down say something like "he knows what he said, as do I." This strikes me as a case of someone being so used to having no consequences to his words/lies finally leaving the bubble and getting in trouble.

A good observation, I think that may have played into it.

Unrelated, Obama's new ad is a good one.

Jackson50

I'm getting Kerry deja vu again. What was the misstep Kerry had regarding foreign leaders?
He claimed certain foreign leaders had intimated they preferred him to Bush. Only, he wouldn't list any of them.
Except he's kind of stepped in it here.

Meeting with international leaders and then misrepresenting their private comments to benefit your political campaign. Good start, dude. Can't wait for that overseas trip you're planning.
The whole ordeal is bemusing. I'm not sure if Romney misrepresented him, or the media misinterpreted his comments. Still, I have no doubt Romney's going to painfully embarrass himself on this tour. When the McCain Campaign dossier on Romney assessed he had no experience on foreign policy...they meant it.

Tamanon

Banned
I don't think Romney understands why he's taking this international trip.

He's not doing it to build his case for winning, he's doing it to show that leaders will be comfortable working with him even if they disagree.

That's what makes immediately trying to turn it into a tacit endorsement of his "policy" is extremely silly.

Loudninja

Justice Department Investigates Pennsylvania Voter ID Law
The Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division has launched a formal investigation into whether Pennsylvania’s voter ID law discriminates against minorities, TPM has learned.

In a letter to Pennsylvania officials on Monday, the Justice Department requested state data on registered voters as well as the state’s list of individuals with driver’s licenses and ID cards.

Pennsylvania has said that over 750,000 voters lack an adequate form of voter ID, a number greater than President Obama’s margin of victory in the state in 2008. One top Republican even said the voter ID law would help Mitt Romney win the state. As TPM reported, the public relations firm contracted to educate the public about the new voter ID law is stacked with Republicans.

DOJ’s probe marks the first time it has publicly acknowledged a formal investigation of a voter ID law passed in a state which is not covered by Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act, which requires certain states with a history of racial discrimination to have changes to their voting laws precleared. The Pennsylvania investigation falls under Section 2 of the VRA, which prohibits any state from enacting a “voting standard, practice, or procedure that results in the denial or abridgement of the right of any citizen to vote on account of race, color, or membership in a language minority group.”
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsme..._pennsylvania_voter_id_law.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

tranciful

. To say nothing of then suggesting that his daughter might be "working for" them.
She didn't.
eQMFU.png

From that fucking ridiculous letter you're bugging us all to read.

edit: turns out I didn't read it fully. I assumed this was the original letter and not a reply to criticism because that seemed to be the context Kosmo put it in.

Here's her original letter http://bachmann.house.gov/uploadedfiles/ig_letter_dept_of_state.pdf

She claims that Abedin has ties with the muslim brotherhood and that, as a result, the actions and policies of the state department have been influenced in a way to benefit the muslim brotherhood.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Her father supported a guy who worked for another organization that was known to work with The Muslim Brotherhood? Really? I'm pretty sure every one of us have relatives with similar "connections" to something distasteful.

Then you, by extension, may be working on their behalf.

And Kosmo, by extension, may be half retarded.

RDreamer

I really have to say I hate it when people (conservatives usually) pull the "Answer this question, but you can't use talking points" or "That answer is just a talking point!" crap. It's like someone asking you what 1+1 is, and when you answer 2 they go "That's just a talking point." Well... uh... how about you try and argue why it's wrong. Who gives a shit whether it's some nebulous "talking point." If you can't actually refute it, then that's what actually matters.

Just pisses me off because that's how my dad dismissed that one email I sent him, and a few times when talking to him he'd just say "Well, that's just a liberal talking point" with no real refutation to whatever I was saying. It was just wrong, obviously, because of its apparent status as a talking point... or something.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm so glad you watch the Daily Show - I should have disqualified their talking points as well.

Correct, as was the case here. And as is typically the case, they are determined to be no threat at all, as happened here.

Since I know you guys are lazy, here is the text - which part are you taking issue with?

LNdlf.png

Ot62R.png

I read that, and there's nothing substantive in there whatsoever. It's pure guilt by association right wing garbage. But if you want to play it like that, well I've got news for you, guess who else is a supported of the Muslim Brotherhood?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/...claims-norquist-linked-to-muslim-brotherhood/

Jooney

As I mentioned in an earlier post, this is nothing but pure political theatre to galvanise her base.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0712/78830.html

Accusing two prominent Muslims — State Department aide Huma Abedin and Democratic Rep. Keith Ellison of Minnesota — of being tied to the Muslim Brotherhood was a step too far, even for the conservative firebrand.

But the Northeast corridor’s stunned disbelief at what it saw as a loony conspiracy theory is replaced with hollers of support among Bachmann’s many devoted fans here in the exurbs north of the Twin Cities that she represents.

(Also on POLITICO: Republicans line up to rip Michele Bachmann)

If anything, the uproar seems to have galvanized her base. And the contrasting reaction demonstrates why Democrats will have a hard time in their latest effort to unseat the GOP lightning rod.

Supporters like Duane Halstad, a 69-year-old who was sitting on a porch watching a parade here, said Bachmann is the “only one telling the truth about this thing.” He also said he believes President Barack Obama vacations on Martha’s Vineyard to observe the Islamic holiday of Ramadan. Obama is a Christian.

Rachel Olson, a 41-year-old from Isanti said flatly that she doesn’t “think [Bachmann] would make something up.”

The theme that emerged in roughly two dozen interviews over the weekend — at parades and a county fair — is echoed within Bachmann’s inner circle.

(PHOTOS: Moments from Bachmann's political career)

Bachmann has long been drawn to the idea that Muslim Brotherhood agents are infiltrating the government — even before she landed a seat on the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. Ron Carey, former chairman of the Minnesota Republican Party and Bachmann’s chief of staff in 2010, said he was present during a private briefing in her office about the group. Bachmann is simply “privy to information that you and I don’t have.”

“It was very sobering, some of the information this individual was sharing in this private meeting about the Muslim Brotherhood,” Carey said. “I think she’s been exposed to a lot of discussion on the Hill, and it’s been an area of tremendous interest with her.”

/// more at link

big lol at the bolded part.

pigeon

Banned
As I mentioned in an earlier post, this is nothing but pure political theatre to galvanise her base.

At this point I just want to see what she does next time her numbers start dropping. I'll put $5 on her declaring herself a freeman on the land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom