• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allard

how so

TPM is again hyping this as a master stroke, all I see is another bill going nowhere - and another democrat moment of caving on the horizon.

They voted on two bills, one passed, the other didn't. Which means the house now has to come up with a reason why the senate bill can't be passed in the house when all it has is lower income/middle income tax cut brackets and none for the higher income. They could easily stonewall the legislation and force them to pass that or nothing else.

They voted on two bills, one passed, the other didn't. Which means the house now has to come up with a reason why the senate bill can't be passed in the house when all it has is lower income/middle income tax cut brackets and none for the higher income. They could easily stonewall the legislation and force them to pass that or nothing else.

and you think this will happen?

Tax cuts for the middle class only? Obama is once again pitting Americans against Americans.

/Cantor
This will happen and the media will play along.

Jooney

Just noticed Averon's post on the debate schedule, and saw the first debate being in Colorado and focused on domestic issues. What are the chances that gun control being brought up, and how do you think each candidate will respond?

Or republicans could refuse to do anything, and democrats could cave - like they always do. This changes nothing.

Chichikov

Tax cuts for the middle class only? Obama is once again pitting Americans against Americans.

/Cantor
You can't cut income tax only on the middle class even if you try.
The ultra rich still get that tax cut, they just don't get more than the middle class.

I know you're joking, but it's important to remind that to people.

Revenue raising bills are constitutionally required to originate in the House.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid can accept McConnell’s offer to hold the tax vote at a 50-vote threshold Wednesday (suggesting again that Reid has his members lined up to pass it), but insist on holding the vote under an agreement with McConnell that would resolve the blue slip problem. Specifically, when House Republicans pass their bill at the end of the month to extend all the Bush tax cuts, it would automatically be amended by the Senate with whichever bill that passes today, and sent back to the House.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/07/bush-tax-cuts-mcconnell-reid-boehner.php

Ha, another gentleman's agreement with McConnell. This is going nowhere, folks

Jooney

You can't cut income tax only on the middle class even if you try.
The ultra rich still get that tax cut, they just don't get more than the middle class.

I know you're joking, but it's important to remind that to people.

I was channeling my inner-Cantor and therefore left any sense of nuance at the door.

Loudninja

Romney On Taxes: Don’t Want To Give Dems ‘More Material Than Is Required’
Mitt Romney has no intention of releasing more than two years of tax returns because he doesn’t want to give Democrats more fodder for attacking him, he told NBC’s Brian Williams Wednesday. Romney repeated a point he has made several times, arguing that Democrats will twist the returns into something that can be used against him.

“And what we’ve noted is our Democrat friends, take what’s there, twist it, distort it – dishonestly use it in – in attack ads. I just don’t wanna give ‘em more material than is required,” Romney said.
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/romney-on-taxes-dont-want-to-give-dems--1

Chumly

If it's all clean, why would that be worse than not releasing it and having everyone assume the Dems are right? Even Romney "fans" think his taxes are full of shit.
Pretty much. Obviously there is some seriously shady shit that would be "spun" by democrats

"And what we’ve noted is our Democrat friends, take what’s there, twist it, distort it – dishonestly use it in – in attack ads. I just don’t wanna give ‘em more material than is required,” Romney said.

...I sometimes wonder if irony is a concept to foreign for Republicans.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Honestly, even on its most basic level, this is the worst argument I've seen in years.

You see, Mitt, if your taxes are clean, THERE IS NO MATERIAL TO TWIST OR DISTORT.

What an idiot.
Dude's guilty as fuck. If I didn't have a reason to doubt his taxes, now I do.
If it's all clean, why would that be worse than not releasing it and having everyone assume the Dems are right? Even Romney "fans" think his taxes are full of shit.
You would think the media would ask him this straightforward question, right? Too bad they're also just prolonging this nonsense.

Jooney

I don't expect Romney's refusal to release his tax returns to have an impact on Republicans, but I sure hope independents would be turned off by this.

'Why won't Romney release his worth certificate' should take off as a meme.

thatbox

Banned
Black Political Power Vanishes across the South - Jonathan Tilove, The Times-Picayune

When President Barack Obama arrives in New Orleans on Wednesday to speak before the National Urban League annual conference, he will touch down in a state where his party, less than a month before the qualifying deadline, has yet to find a congressional candidate for any district outside the black-majority seat held by Rep. Cedric Richmond, D-New Orleans.

For Sen. Karen Carter Peterson, D-New Orleans, who seized control of the party from Buddy Leach in April, it is a year for "grassroots rebuilding." But so too was last year, when the party failed to field a single major candidate for any statewide office, including governor.

Rebuilding is certainly the order of the day for the Democratic Party across much of the South, where the party's fortunes are lower than at any time since the end of Reconstruction, and where black political influence has suffered a sudden, symbiotic decline.

"Black voters and elected officials have less influence now than at any time since the civil rights era,"
David Bositis, an analyst at the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies in Washington, wrote in a stark analysis late last year. It is the culmination of nearly a half-century process that began with the dismantling of Jim Crow, the empowerment of black voters and an explosion in black representation, but that now finds its ironic coda in a once-dominating Democrat Party transformed into a largely African-American enterprise that is only occasionally able to scrounge enough white votes to compete effectively outside black districts. The result has been the loss of legislative control in every Southern state save Arkansas.

"In most Southern states, the 46-year transition from a multiracial Democratic political dominance is almost complete," Bositis wrote. "At the heart of this transition is racially polarized voting. Black state legislators, generally elected in black majority districts and long used to being in a majority coalition, are now almost entirely isolated in the minority. Republicans likewise dominate the statewide political offices in these states. Virtually all black elected officials are outsiders looking in."

For Democrats and African-Americans in the South, there appears no easy way out. The numbers in Bositis' brief are dramatic.

Before the 1994 Republican landslide, 99.5 percent of all black state legislators in the South were serving in the majority. After that election, the number dipped to 83.9 percent. By 2010, another fateful election year for Democrats, barely half of Southern black legislators were in the majority. By 2011, that number had plummeted to 4.8 percent.

"A resegregation in politics has taken place," Bositis wrote. "The achievement of complete power at the state level by people who support politics and actions that African-Americans oppose means that for the near future that legislation and budgeting in the South is unlikely to be aimed at helping African-Americans no matter how bad their unemployment levels, how poor their schools and dropout rates, and no matter how bad their health disparities. Those with power have also sought to push further into the future any relief or redress by making more difficult for black voices to be heard at the polls."

[....]

In the 2008 presidential election, Obama received 14 percent of the white vote in Louisiana, the lowest of any state except Alabama, at 10 percent, and Mississippi at 11 percent.

In the 2010 U.S. Senate election, Rep. Charlie Melancon, D-Napoleonville, a Cajun Blue Dog Democrat, won 22 percent of the white vote against Sen. David Vitter, R-La.

Outside Richmond's black majority district, there are two other Louisiana congressional districts -- the 4th and 5th -- where about 35 percent of the voting population is black. But Bositis said that is still shy of the 40 percent that an African-American Democrat would need to stand a decent chance of prevailing in a state with a history of racially polarized voting like Louisiana.

[....]​

It's a pretty well-done piece of the sort I'll be sorely missing when the T-P performs an elective lobotomy on itself in a couple of months.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
What people have a problem with in regards to Obama's spending is the increase in the DEFICIT, not year over year budget dollars. This is the graph they are referring to:

obama-deficit-2011.jpg

(*cue "Bush" tax cut talking points*)

Say you have an apartment that costs $1,000/month. Suppose you lost your job, and had no way to pay rent. The next month, you'd have a deficit of $1,000 (assuming your landlord doesn't kick you out right away).

Does this mean you suddenly went on a "spending binge"? Did you "grow the size" of your own little Kosmogoverment?

Also, will you ignore the roughly $300 billion in tax cuts from Obama's stimulus that added to the deficit?

Jooney

Al-ibn Kermit

A couple weeks ago, everybody (including me) believed that Romney was about to release his tax returns and announce his vp pick. It feels like Santa Claus didn't come.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
A couple weeks ago, everybody (including me) believed that Romney was about to release his tax returns and announce his vp pick. It feels like Santa Claus didn't come.

In a normal political environment he'd have withdrawn in disgrace. In this one, he's too anglosaxon to give up.

Tim-E

Just saw my district's state House of Delegates member drunk and playing Keno at a local restaurant screaming about how Obama is going to "blow up" coal mining. He was recently arrested for domestic battery. I just went to his Facebook page and his relationship status changed from "Married" to "Single."

Guess that explains the drinking. :lol

Tim-E

Good on Obama for taking a stance on gun control:

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ontrol-needed-for-criminals-and-mentally-ill-

President Obama on Wednesday vowed to pursue a consensus on violence reduction, “looking at everything we can do” to prevent gun crimes like the tragedy in Colorado last week.

In his first remarks on gun violence since the movie theater shooting that left 12 people dead and dozens injured, Obama reiterated his support for the Second Amendment. But the president also said there should be limitations on guns like AK47s, which “belong in the hands of soldiers, not in the hands of criminals.

“I like most Americans believe that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual the right to bear arms,” Obama said in a speech before the National Urban League in New Orleans. “I think we recognize the traditions of gun ownership passed on from generation to generation, that hunting and shooting are part of a cherished national heritage.

“But I also believe that a lot of gun owners would agree that AK47s belong in the hands of soldiers not in the hands of criminals, that they belong on the battlefield of war not on the streets of our cities,” he said.

In his remarks--the most extensive on the gun control topic during his presidency-- Obama said he believes most gun owners would agree “we should do everything possible" to prevent criminals and fugitives from purchasing weapons and that criminal records should be carefully examined before they obtain firearms. The president, who also spent time with victims of the Colorado shooting on Sunday, also offered that "a mentally unbalanced individual should not be able to get his hands on a gun so easily.

“These steps shouldn’t be controversial,” he said. “They should be common sense."

At the same time, Obama said parents and teachers should look after young people “so they do not have that void inside them.

“It’s up to us to spend time with them,” he said. “To pay more attention to them. To show them more love and they learn to love each other and they learn to love one another and they grow up knowing what it is to walk a mile in somebody else’s shoes and to view the world in somebody else’s eyes.

“We must also understand that when a child opens fire on other children, there’s a hole in his heart that no government can fill,” he said.

Obama wasn’t just referring to the massacres like the one in Colorado last week that grip the nation regularly but urban violence that regularly plagues city streets.

“Our hearts break for the victims of the massacre in Aurora,” he said. “We pray for those who were lost and we pray for those who loved them. We pray for those who are recovering with courage and with hope.

“And we also pray for those who succumb to the less publicized acts of violence that plague our communities in so many cities across the country every single day,” he said. "We can’t forget about that. For every Columbine or Virginia Tech, there are dozens gunned down on the streets of Chicago and Atlanta, here in New Orleans,” he said. “For every Tucson or Aurora, there is daily heartbreak over young Americans shot in Milwaukee or Cleveland."

Oblivion

Obama called for more steps to reduce gun violence

Cue the attacks tomorrow...

Look, I want to take away all the guns from White people and give them to the illegals as much as any leftist, but I think this is a really bad time for Obama to bring up the issue. He's gonna get hammered for this.

Actually, House has to decide whether they think that is an issue or not. House can pass the Senate version of the bill and it would be fine.
If they really want to hang themselves up on procedure in not passing tax cuts, go for it. It's going to look really bad for them though.

There's also this:

In a letter (PDF) dated July 18, some 127 House GOP lawmakers urged Boehner and Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) not to permit “any legislation” to come to the floor that includes Affordable Care Act implementation funds. The implied message: shut down the government unless Democrats agree to defund President Obama’s signature law.

“Since much of the implementation of ObamaCare is a function of the discretionary appropriations process, and since most of the citizens we represent believe that ObamaCare should never go into effect, we urge you not to bring to the House floor in the 112th Congress any legislation that provides or allows funds to implement ObamaCare through the Internal Revenue Service, the Department of Health and Human Services, or any other federal entity,” the 127 lawmakers wrote
That's a majority of the GOP caucus. Government shutdown incoming?

Oblivion

Btw, surprised this hasn't been posted. More adventures in rugged individualism:

The A.D. Morgan Corporation employs 50 people and has annual revenues of about $80 million, according to its website. The company lists more than 130 projects and developments. Impressive, no doubt. But the list is nearly all government projects. [...]

"We're not going to have an opportunity in the private sector, they have a tendency to use lump sum, low bid,"
Smith said, explaining how government bids work. "So by virtue of what it is that we do, we go to the client base that purchases construction services that way."

More lols:

As for Ramos, his company's Facebook page describes Value Enterprise Solutions as "providing value added service/education to businesses, local government, federal government, Department of Defense, and industry contract organizations." [...]
In the Air Force for 24 years, Ramos dismissed the role it played in providing him the training and expertise to run his business today.

"It wasn't handed to me," Ramos said. "I worked my butt off. My military experience taught me integrity. But that didn't come from the government."

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/...ses-to-say-government-doesn-t-help-businesses

:usacryeagle etc.

GhaleonEB

My military experience taught me integrity. But that didn't come from the government.​

This is right up there with "Keep the government away from my Medicare."

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
How does he manage to have the brain cells to run a business in the first place?

Chumly

Btw, surprised this hasn't been posted. More adventures in rugged individualism:

More lols:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/...ses-to-say-government-doesn-t-help-businesses

:usacryeagle etc.

Ugh I truly think we're in the age of selfishness which is promoted by republicans. Everything is mine mine mine. The fact that people like this can get government benefits then turn around and act like they shouldn't pay taxes to help others do the same as they did.....

SoulPlaya

more money than God
This Obama speech to the Urban League is fucking fantastic. I really hope we actually get some policy and law proposals out of this, instead of just words.

HyperionX

Because people will stop reading after the word 'gun' and start shouting about the Second Amendment instead of continuing to the word 'violence', which I don't think is covered by the Constitution and is the real problem.

I wish a major politician will come out and announce that he fully supports a repeal of the 2nd amendment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom