• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

Are you really that stupid or do you think we are that stupid?
WRlvK.gif

Kosmo

Banned
Yeah . . . Rupert Murdoch is well-known for being extremely unfair against Republicans. All his media outlets ever do is bash Republicans.

Are you really that stupid or do you think we are that stupid?

I really don't see this as any kind of issue that will affect the election in any way, nor does Murdoch, if I had to venture a guess. So if you're really asking what I think about people who think Murdoch would care enough to have exerted some editorial control over a silly issue like this (or would let it go because he doesn't like Romney), the answer would be yes, I think you are that stupid.

Because it's pointless to draw distinctions between bad policy. Bad is bad.

But if we are going to do it, I would argue that the tax cuts for the non-rich were actually worse because they represent a far larger amount of lost revenue over decades time. Which greatly influences and tempers policy decisions made down the road due to debt/deficit fearmongering.

We shouldn't make policy based on the future capacity for fearmongering. We need to stop talking about government revenue like it matters per se. The only thing government revenue "buys" you is fiscal space for the government to act. Taxation (removing money from the economy) induces deflation, which leaves more room for government participation in the economy. That's it. You have to decide what government you want, first, and then decide how much it must tax to make the fiscal space to act in the way you want without causing inflation. The next question, then, is what is taxed and what the distribution of that tax will be. Ultimately, our tax policy should be flexible enough to go up and down depending upon (1) what we government to be dong; and (2) what the economic needs of the time are.

Right now, because of sagging demand causing abundant idle capital and labor, the government has tons of "fiscal space" to act in the private sector without causing inflation, i.e., to spend. It can spend either by cutting taxes or creating new money. Tax raises aren't even--or shouldn't be--in the picture right now at all, given the economic situation. The single possible exception to this would be tax increases on very high income earners, if it is deemed that the benefits of increasing equality (the result of such a tax) outweigh the relatively small knock to aggregate demand (another result of such a tax) that that would entail.

Pimpwerx

Has anyone in here actually had their vote swung by any of this discussion? I check this thread periodically for lulz, and can't help butt think that despite 80+ pages of going back and forth, you're all gonna vote the same as when you entered this thread. Right now, I'm still voting Stein/Honkala this Fall. Fuck the treadmill. PEACE.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ugh, Cantor is on CBS This Morning... Refusing to condemn Bachmann, saying his views on "traditional marriage" deserve to be respected under the banner of "religious liberty."

He has to be one of the biggest tools in the entire government.

Ironic given Bachmann's husband's proclivities.

Has anyone in here actually had their vote swung by any of this discussion? I check this thread periodically for lulz, and can't help butt think that despite 80+ pages of going back and forth, you're all gonna vote the same as when you entered this thread. Right now, I'm still voting Stein/Honkala this Fall. Fuck the treadmill. PEACE.

It's just a distraction for them to forget about Obama's failure to improve the economy

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

I might vote Stein, whereas before I was going to write-in Daffy Duck. Don't be naive to think these threads accomplish no good. There is a great deal of persuasion and discussion in here.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling

I lurk in these threads largely because I either have nothing to say, or what I have to say is so closely mirrored by other people that there is no point in saying it. That being said, I never saw the stuff that happens in here as being about trying to sway anyone. I read this thread because the regular posters are good news aggregators for me. WAR.

ToxicAdam

But I think it's more useful to see benefits per dollar spent.

What were the benefits? What was the benefit of the middle class having a few thousand dollars every year in their pocket? Are they (collectively) in a better place because of it? They weren't saving it. They (like everyone else) were racking up historic personal debt and pouring all their money into inflated property prices. Were they able to buy more electronic gizmos that were manufactured overseas?

Wouldn't they have benefitted more from a beefier/lengthier ARRA or an expanded Health Care Reform?

Politics is the art of the possible.

By intentionally limiting your revenue (for the questionable short-term economic stimulus it provides), you limit or negate 'the possible' down the road.

By intentionally limiting your revenue for short-term economic stimulus, you limit 'the possible' in the long run.

And immediately limit your economy and reduce the welfare of the society. But what's all that about!?

What were the benefits? What was the benefit of the middle class having a few thousand dollars every year in their pocket? Are they (collectively) in a better place because of it? They weren't saving it. They (like everyone else) was racking up historic personal debt and pouring all their money into inflated property prices. Were they able to buy more electronic gizmos that were manufactured overseas?

Why do you think people seek out debt? When does debt become necessary?

We Ask America just released a poll of Ohio in which 19% of self-described Republicans say they will vote for Obama.

http://weaskamerica.com/2012/07/27/oh-bama/

Even they don't believe it. They ran it twice!

My dad's a registered republican but he's voting Obama in November -- again. He's absolutely baffled at how Mitt Romney got the nomination. He was rooting for Jon Huntsman in the primaries, but now he doesn't even identify as a republican as they are now.

Obama is the type of republican my dad likes :p

Tim-E

No significant number of business owners, or serious business owners are going to not hire when they need to and are able to just to play politics and hope it makes the guy you don't like look bad.

Stinkles

No significant number of business owners, or serious business owners are going to not hire when they need to and are able to just to play politics and hope it makes the guy you don't like look bad.
not to mention the fact that those stickers are simply naked political marketing - as is the sentiment. Stickers should read - "I do my masters' bidding even as they insert cognitive dissonance corndogs into my rectum and I do it because I am sort of racist."

Captain Pants

How do you guys feel about how the government/military handles budgeting? I work at a stone engraving shop, and right around this time every year, we start getting calls from the two local Air Force Bases. They tell us that they need to spend x amount of dollars or they'll have a smaller budget next year. In return, we get to work on some cool monuments and stone signage out on the bases. I guess I could see it as wasteful, but it is a pretty decent mini-stimulus for us and the people that we buy materials from. Part of me feels like it is wrong, but I see how much the local community benefits from this kind of spending.

In the end, it seems weird to have to throw money away so that you get the same budget next year. Wouldn't it make more sense for them to keep their excess money from each year rather than spend it?

Stinkles

How do you guys feel about how the government/military handles budgeting? I work at a stone engraving shop, and right around this time every year, we start getting calls from the two local Air Force Bases. They tell us that they need to spend x amount of dollars or they'll have a smaller budget next year. In return, we get to work on some cool monuments and stone signage out on the bases. I guess I could see it as wasteful, but it is a pretty decent mini-stimulus for us and the people that we buy materials from. Part of me feels like it is wrong, but I see how much the local community benefits from this kind of spending.

In the end, it seems weird to have to throw money away so that you get the same budget next year. Wouldn't it make more sense for them to keep their excess money from each year rather than spend it?
that kind of accounting is common in businesses and makes sense - reliable spending forecasts are a good thing - problem is, military isn't supposed to be a business.

Tamanon

Banned

Welcome to budgeting for anywhere.

Kosmo

Banned
that kind of accounting is common in businesses and makes sense - reliable spending forecasts are a good thing - problem is, military isn't supposed to be a business.

Yes, reliable spending forecasts are a good thing. Actually spending simply so you can use up all your budget is not necessarily a good thing.

In Washington, money is power. No area of government is going to willfully spend less to get their budget cut and lose power.

Captain Pants

Solid point.

Welcome to budgeting for anywhere.

Fair enough. I'm fairly ignorant of how that stuff works. I also know that what they are throwing our way is a drop in the bucket. It is good for us, and it is a fraction of their budget. I'm just always surprised to get a call where they just say "We're going to give you money today, and figure out what we actually want later."

ToxicAdam

We shouldn't make policy based on the future capacity for fearmongering.

It's not the future, it is the current one. It's been the paradigm for the past few decades and has helped drive some of the greatest political upheavals during this time. Which has been further exacerbated by more and more tax cuts.

We need to stop talking about government revenue like it matters per se.

It matters because it decides elections. Elections of people who make legislation.

Right now, because of sagging demand causing abundant idle capital and labor, the government has tons of "fiscal space" to act in the private sector without causing inflation, i.e., to spend. It can spend either by cutting taxes or creating new money.

The Bush Tax Cuts of 2001 and 2003 prove that these are not satisfactory stimulative measures.

Tax raises aren't even--or shouldn't be--in the picture right now at all, given the economic situation.

These aren't tax raises. They are correcting mistakes made over the past 15 years and returning our government's ledger back to the late 90's.

Stinkles

Yes, reliable spending forecasts are a good thing. Actually spending simply so you can use up all your budget is not necessarily a good thing.

In Washington, money is power. No area of government is going to willfully spend less to get their budget cut and lose power.

I don't think it's a good "thing" because I hate waste, but it's designed, in business, to create dsicipline and accountability, which in the long term have more benefits than small, counterintuitive abberations in spending.

But the military is an expenditure. They should spend what they need and return the excess (as a broad generalization). There is literally nothing preventing this beyond the interests of business and politicians.

The most eggregious and obvious examples are things like Battleships nobody wants but there are millions of these all over the country and it is a 100% bipartisan problem.

It's not the future, it is the current one. It's been the paradigm for the past few decades and has helped drive some of the greatest political upheavals during this time. Which has been further exacerbated by more and more tax cuts.

So the answer is to give in, impose austerity, and create more unemployment and underemployment?

The Bush Tax Cuts of 2001 and 2003 prove that these are not satisfactory stimulative measures.

No they don't. The Bush tax cuts went overwhelmingly to the highest income earners in the country. They were entirely inadequate to overcome what the Clinton surplus set in motion by draining the economy of money--a debt boom.

These aren't tax raises. They are correcting mistakes made over the past 15 years and returning our government's ledger back to the late 90's.

You mean this government ledger:

JT8Hj.jpg

See also:

First, let's make the simple point: [The Clinton surpluses] certainly didn't make the economy better. The late 90s were arguably the peak of the US economy, and since then it's basically been a long slog down, with one bubble (the housing bubble) interrupting the ride. We can all agree that the surpluses provided the US economy no protection against collapse or crisis or anything like that.

But, beyond that there's a straight line to be drawn between the government's lack of leverage, and the expansion of leverage elsewhere.

The lack of government Treasury issuance, for example, lead to huge demand for Fannie and Freddie debt among investors.

And you can see how government debt is mirrored in the private sector.

This chart shows household debt service payments (as a percentage of income) vs. the federal deficit.

CKgVA.jpg

As you can see, when the deficit was reduced in the late 90s, it corresponded with the initial spike in household leverage.

That household leverage didn't decline until government leverage shot up.

Here's another chart showing something similar.

F4Xi6.jpg

The change in total liabilities of household nicely mirrors government savings.

As the government saved more, household liability growth accelerated. As government savings collapsed (deficits exploded), households were able to deleverage.

Now let's talk about causation: Why were the Clinton surpluses associated with an increase in household leverage? It basically comes down to the fact that a surplus basically represents the government sucking money out of the economy through some combination of higher taxes (which Clinton hiked, and which the government got via bubblicious capital gains) and lower spending (welfare reform, etc.). Sure, spending grew under Clinton, but a switch from deficit to surplus by definition means a net decrease in government spending.

Thus for the private sector to keep on growing, it needs to find some way to offset the government drag, and that was done via more leverage.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-07-07/markets/30006821_1_leverage-household-private-sector

leroidys

I've certainly become better educated on a range of issues and had my opinions change on a huge amount of policy issues.

I'm glad you're so much more enlightened then us though. Thank you for coming in and talking down to us sheep again.

gcubed

Are UK papers owned by an Australian billionaire supposed to show deference to a Presidential candidate from the US? The reality distortion field Obamabots are living in has finally surpassed that of Apple fanboys bowing at the feet of Steve Jobs.

Aren't you cute!

The government "keeping" "excess" money doesn't make any sense. It has no capacity to save, because it creates money. It's like suggesting that a perpetual motion machine "save" its energy for later. The relevant question is not whether the government should "save" money, but, rather, whether the spending it does engage in is worthwhile. Now, spending on various monuments probably isn't the best use of money. It is stimulus, and that is a benefit, but the question is always whether something better could have been done with the labor and resources that were used. Money directs resources and labor.

Don't get me wrong, paying some people to dig holes and fill them back up can well be better than nothing, depending on the political and economic environment (and I am not equating building monuments to that, because a monument does have social utility as art). But if we have a choice, we should direct those resources and that labor somewhere that has a social benefit as opposed to somewhere that doesn't (e.g., build a bridge, a road, a school, a hospital, a park, etc.).

If you mean during this election, the no. If you mean since joining NeoGAF, then yes. Ask a few folks around here. I voted Bush in 2004, McCain in 2008, will be voting Obama 2012. Came to NeoGAF being against gay marriage, against a public option/universal health care, supporting the GOP. That isn't the case any longer and most of that metamorphosis took place during my time in PoliGAF.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
If you mean during this election, the no. If you mean since joining NeoGAF, then yes. Ask a few folks around here. I voted Bush in 2004, McCain in 2008, will be voting Obama 2012. Came to NeoGAF being against gay marriage, against a public option/universal health care, supporting the GOP. That isn't the case any longer and most of that metamorphosis took place during my time in PoliGAF.

The whole idea that people don't change their political compass during their lifetime is absurd. It might not be a forum like GAF that changes your mind, but something eventually does -- a political catalyst or two of some kind.

We Ask America - a GOP pollster - showed Obama leading Romney by 8 in Ohio. 48-40.

They found 18% of Republicans going for Obama. They actually called them back to make sure they had it right and they did.

Romney's so screwed.

We Ask America - a GOP pollster - showed Obama leading Romney by 8 in Ohio. 48-40.

They found 18% of Republicans going for Obama. They actually called them back to make sure they had it right and they did.

Romney's so screwed.

You honestly think the majority of those republicans won't come home by November? lol

Shitty GDP numbers are shitty

:(
They're actually slightly better than expected. As it pertains to the election, Alan Abramowitz's model said a growth rate of 1% or higher would guarantee Obama wins the popular vote. I'm not stressing.

PhoenixDark said:
You honestly think the majority of those republicans won't come home by November? lol
Ohio's economy is doing great and a huge part of that is due to the autobailout.

Romney on the other hand sucks as a candidate.

But hey, if it makes you feel any better, Rasmussen has Romney up today by 5. lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Since when is republicans going home to the republican nominee analogous to the ridiculous notion of women flocking to McCain due to Palin? Try harder next time

I forgot that there's never been an instance in US presidential elections where a candidate gets a significant chunk of voters to break for them from across party lines. That has never happened before, you got me.

They always come home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom