• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
And you know . . . why isn't he visiting France? I mean it is so sad that he can't go to France and he can't admit he can speak some French because he's afraid of being tainted. An ability to speak a foreign language of an ally is an asset but he has to act like he can't because someone might call him a cheese-eating surrender monkey or something.

Some? He's fluent

It's news; it isn't the ending of a movie or TV episode.

And this is relevant to political discussion how? Because Mitt Romney made a prediction...woopededo. I'm sure the results are spoiled all over the net and thus I'm doing my best not to hear the results until I get to watch it...which hasn't happened yet thanks to NBC dipshits not having a free streaming service to people without cable. Didn't expect to hear Phelps didn't win in a political topic.

Chichikov

banned.

get that shit out of here dude. Thanks for ruining my night.
The Olympics is a news event, you can't spoil the news.
I think you should take your complaints to NBC.
And seriously, FUCK NBC, this shit is shameful, I would've boycott them, but I don't really watch that network.

And this is relevant to political discussion how? Because Mitt Romney made a prediction...woopededo. I'm sure the results are spoiled all over the net and thus I'm doing my best not to hear the results until I get to watch it...which hasn't happened yet thanks to NBC dipshits not having a free streaming service to people without cable. Didn't expect to hear Phelps didn't win in a political topic.
You can't expect people to know and respect NBC's shitty timezone specific schedule.
I mean, are we waiting until it airs in the west coast?
What about Hawaii?
Are we going to not talk about NBA games because they're showed in tape delay in Europe?
Come on now.
Don't get me wrong, it's a shitty situation, but I don't think the solution is to everyone to censor themselves for the benefits of Americans with a slow internet connection.

why should GAFfers get banned because NBC sucks ass with the Olympic coverage?
back to politics

---

ErasureAcer, that event happened like 4 hours ago, if NBC can't cover that event properly it's NBC's fault

The Olympics is a news event, you can't spoil the news.
I think you should take your complaints to NBC.
And seriously, FUCK NBC, this shit is shameful, I would've boycott them, but I don't really watch that network.

You can't expect people to know and respect NBC's shitty timezone specific schedule.
I mean, are we waiting until it airs in the west coast?
What about Hawaii?
Are we going to not talk about NBA games because they're showed in tape delay in Europe?
Come on now.
Don't get me wrong, it's a shitty situation, but I don't think the solution is to everyone to censor themselves for the benefits of Americans with a slow internet connection.

I have cable internet. I don't have cable tv. The latter being what you need to get the NBC stream. Comparing the Olympics to a Charlotte Bobcats/New Orleans Hornets game is ridiculous.

I totally agree NBC sucks. They fucking cancelled Awake!

Loudninja

Romney bans media from Jerusalem fundraiser, violating pre-established protocol
But Romney’s campaign announced Saturday that it would block the news media from covering the event, which will be held at the King David Hotel. The campaign’s decision to close the fundraiser to the press violates the ground rules it negotiated with news organizations in April, when Romney wrapped up the Republican nomination and began opening some of his finance events to the news media.

Under the agreement, a pool of wire, print and television reporters can cover every Romney fundraiser held in public venues, including hotels and country clubs. The campaign does not allow media coverage of fundraisers held in private residences.

Campaign spokesman Rick Gorka declined to explain the campaign’s decision to violate protocol with the Jerusalem event. Pressed repeatedly by reporters to offer an explanation, Gorka said only that the fundraiser was “closed press.”

“That’s all I’ve got for you — it’s closed press,” Gorka said.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...tocol/2012/07/28/gJQAAaeVGX_blog.html#excerpt

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I was just coming for this. Bubble boy seals the bubble even further.

Exactly, his advisors realise he cannot be trusted - he's just not socially skilled - so they are going to be locking him up nice and tight. A travesty for democracy.

EDIT: Ironically, a self-made problem as a result of trying to be all things to all republicans.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Exactly, his advisors realise he cannot be trusted - he's just not socially skilled - so they are going to be locking him up nice and tight. A travesty for democracy.

EDIT: Ironically, a self-made problem as a result of trying to be all things to all republicans.

And a travesty for his campaign, people don't just vote on policy in a vacuum. They need to know the person as well, is he trustworthy, does he have my best interest at heart. Closing himself off won't help with those things.

Al-ibn Kermit

I have a relative who does dressage, I still can't believe it's an actual sport.

But really, you would think that Romney is the first rich guy to run for the presidency with how afraid he is of his wealth. He needs to make jokes about his superpac not willing to "buy him a landslide" or something.

Kosmo in particular went all in with his usual partisan hackery, questioning whether the groups donated to were actually "anti-gay", and ignoring responses proving they were.

I realize I'm a day behind, but how come he hasn't been banned for doing that in this thread, every single day?

Chichikov

Its not going to have any effect?

Only thing that can do anything is if someone sneaks out cell phone footage of what happens at the fund raiser.
It's not smart to piss the media.
I know some on the right think they all shill for the DNC, but interpersonal relationship with the people that cover you still matter.
Bush knew that.

Oh man, what if its like an orgy or the court of owls or something?
I decided a long time ago to imagine that every event closed to the media is Eyes Wide Shut orgy.
It's not intended as a factual statement, but life is much more awesome when you accept it into your life.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
For the record, fuck NBC.

Four years ago with Beijing you could watch the sports you actually wanted to watch online, but now you need to provide cable or satellite info. Oh wait, I don't pay for that directly under my own name.

Fuck NBC.

Chichikov

Four years ago with Beijing you could watch the sports you actually wanted to watch online, but now you need to provide cable or satellite info. Oh wait, I don't pay for that directly under my own name.

Fuck NBC.
I have never seen a more morally justifiable case for watching illegal streams in my life.
Especially when you remember that the athletes are not payed.

p.s.
Can't wait for all the awesome cross media marketing I'm going to get now that NBC has my DirecTV costumer info.
The Olympics - in a spirit of chivalry, for the honour of our country and for the glory of corporate synergy!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I've been out of the loop on the whole Olympic thing, why exactly does NBC suck?
Horrible coverage. Horrible delivery.

I wish there was a way to forcibly void their contract without reimbursing them a cent and give another company a chance.

I've been out of the loop on the whole Olympic thing, why exactly does NBC suck?

Terrible commentary, shitty HD quality, pre recorded bullshit, and the actual coverage is terrible outside of the online stuff which as already mentioned needs info some of us don't have. I'm honestly not even watching the thing anymore. I just catch the results later

Horrible coverage. Horrible delivery.

I wish there was a way to forcibly void their contract without reimbursing them a cent and give another company a chance.

For some reason, I don't think any US broadcaster would be good here. They would all follow the same thing NBC does, maybe different commentators.

RDreamer

Man, I'm seeing a lot of commercials thrashing other Republicans for voting to raise the debt limit. Wasn't this like... a normal part of government before the last few years? Now voting to raise it like usual is some terrible awful thing?

AntoneM

Washington Post: Romney bans media from Jerusalem fundraiser, violating pre-established protocol

Romney's spokesperson didn't even attempt to offer an explanation. Just kept saying it was now "closed press".

Exactly, he should just own it, but he's seemingly uncomfortable in his own skin at all times. At this point, I doubt he even knows himself. He's spent so much time and effort being so many different people for different audiences, I don't think he could own anything.

I wish the press would respond in kind and not report on the Romeny campaign whatsoever from here on out, but, that is wish which won't come true.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Man, I'm seeing a lot of commercials thrashing other Republicans for voting to raise the debt limit. Wasn't this like... a normal part of government before the last few years? Now voting to raise it like usual is some terrible awful thing?

It actually used to be something that was done automatically, for the longest time it was something that was never voted on. A debt limit vote is a relatively recent thing if I remember right.

That was because, up until last year, the vast, VAST majority of Americans didn't even know there even WAS a debt ceiling to be voted on. Republicans played off on the ignorance of Americans about it and used it as a political talking point to play hardball and try to undermine the Obama administration.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Obama being president caused previously run of the mill, votes to be retroactively communist in nature.

Fuck NBC.
Can't you just find another country's stream online..? NBC can't have any control over that in other countries, right? Like a Japanese or French stream or something?

I'm not watching the Olympics at all, so apologies for what I suspect is a stupid question. Haha.

Chichikov

Can't you just find another country's stream online..? NBC can't have any control over that in other countries, right? Like a Japanese or French stream or something?

I'm not watching the Olympics at all, so apologies for what I suspect is a stupid question. Haha.
As far as I know, the broadcast rights include streaming, so yeah, they're trying.
Now it's the internet, so they'll never succeed, but I don't think there is an official or legal way you can watch streams that NBC doesn't want you to watch.

The system is failing the consumers.

AntoneM

As far as I know, the broadcast rights include streaming, so yeah, they're trying.
Now it's the internet, so they'll never succeed, but I don't think there is an official or legal way you can watch streams that NBC doesn't want you to watch.

Well since I have cable TV this shit is pretty awesome 2:38:00 of swimming Prelim. heats from the July 28 morning session of swimming are the men's 400m IM, women's 100m fly, men's 400m free, women's 400m IM, men's 100m breast and women's 4x100m free relay. and no commercials!

RDreamer

Obama being president caused previously run of the mill, votes to be retroactively communist in nature.

I think even without Obama specifically we were already heading this direction. I think our media culture and the power of marketing would always lead to this without some really really strong regulations. I feel like it's nearly impossible to have a real, functional democracy when you also have the saying "If you have to explain, then you've lost" come true.

Wait doesn't BBC do free streaming or if not streams they put all their content out there for free? If so, how would it be illegal to watch one of their streams?

Oblivion

Washington Post: Romney bans media from Jerusalem fundraiser, violating pre-established protocol

Romney's spokesperson didn't even attempt to offer an explanation. Just kept saying it was now "closed press".

Exactly, he should just own it, but he's seemingly uncomfortable in his own skin at all times. At this point, I doubt he even knows himself. He's spent so much time and effort being so many different people for different audiences, I don't think he could own anything.

LOLGOP twitter said:
Mitt Romney has figured out that the problem isn't that he says inane things. The problem is that people write them down.

edit:

LOLGOP Twitter said:
Worst possible Romney gaffe he could make on his tour? How about: "I'm just not sure Israel is ready for Jesus' return."?

Holy shit.

Chichikov

Well since I have cable TV this shit is pretty awesome 2:38:00 of swimming Prelim. heats from the July 28 morning session of swimming are the men's 400m IM, women's 100m fly, men's 400m free, women's 400m IM, men's 100m breast and women's 4x100m free relay. and no commercials!
I have DirecTV, and pretty sweet (if I may say) HTPC setup, so I'm good on that front, but this is just so fucking petty.
How much money do they save by blocking people without cable?

And the fact that you pretty much can't watch any of that live in bars pisses me off.

This is all a function of the stupid way we monetize network television.

But how do people in other countries watch online then? People in Japan don't have the ability to have NBC's crappy services. That can't possibly be fair to prevent billions of people from watching like that.

Averon

NBC's Olympic coverage is so bad. I'm getting better coverage of the games from third party online streaming sites. Fucking ridiculous.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I realize I'm a day behind, but how come he hasn't been banned for doing that in this thread, every single day?
I dunno. I guess a combination of him going further than he usually does and into a place where people don't already know to roll their eyes and move on.

Oblivion

iTXu6dm8N7jSR.png

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

Fuck NBC.

Yeah, same here. We actually regressed, as far as technology and access is concerned, in the past four years. It's a shitty pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom