• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone honestly think the US does not have a military option on the table for Iran, outside of far right ideologues? Fucking Netanyahu

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
149437319-jpg_211944.jpg

Amazing shot.

Why does he look so sad? He's at the Olympics! I'd give my left nut to see the hundred meter final live! Hec k I'd probably throw in my right one as well.

He is sitting there thinking "Dang-nab-it. I really stepped in the bull doo-doo, yesterday. Gee-wilickers, I need to remember to be nice to these simple people with their small houses & roads."

Does anyone honestly think the US does not have a military option on the table for Iran, outside of far right ideologues? Fucking Netanyahu

Obama has said multiple times we already do.

Netanyahu knows he will have an easier time as leader if he keeps telling his public that we must attack Iran.

So has Obama.

I will never get it. Obama has always said he is prepared to launch at attack on Iran if needed. He is just not war mongering it in the way GOP and Bibi want.

They know there is a military option on the table. What they want is literally known as the "Madman theory".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madman_theory

They want to have someone that at least looks stupid/crazy enough to start a completely pointless expensive and bloody war.

The problem is that when you get such people, they sometimes actually are stupid enough to start pointless expensive war as Bush showed the world.

And it is also ironic/hypocritical since then endlessly whine about how Ahmedhinejad is a dangerous madman. They are getting played with their own game.

AntoneM

The US has a military option for Canada for fucks sake. It's like you're some obtuse flatulent child who announces every time he blows his colon as though the rest of the people in the room can't smell it.

The US has a military option for Canada for fucks sake. It's like you're some obtuse flatulent child who announces every time he blows his colon as though the rest of the people in the room can't smell it.

You must have misread my post. I am saying it's quite clear the US has a military option "on the table" for Iran, but Netanyahu and those on the right continually act like we don't. It's pathetic

Cheney would not comment on what he told Romney and Myers, but he was harsh in his assessment of McCain's decision to pick Palin.

"That one," Cheney said, "I don't think was well handled."

"The test to get on that small list has to be, 'Is this person capable of being president of the United States?'"

Cheney believes Sarah Palin failed that test.

"I like Governor Palin. I've met her. I know her. She - attractive candidate. But based on her background, she'd only been governor for, what, two years. I don't think she passed that test…of being ready to take over. And I think that was a mistake."

I loved that this came from Dick Cheney because he is even less popular than Palin. Hopefully the Palin supporters will rally for her.

It is to the two ugly base instincts of the GOP fighting against each other . . . the greedy/war-monger part against the stupid/evangelical part.

Stinkles

I loved that this came from Dick Cheney because he is even less popular than Palin. Hopefully the Palin supporters will rally for her.

It is to the two ugly base instincts of the GOP fighting against each other . . . the greedy/war-monger part against the stupid/evangelical part.

Cheney himself picked a candidate that put us into two unfounded and unfunded wars that directly profited his former employer to the tune of billions of dollars, one of which was utterly illegal and immoral and counterproductive and contributed directly to a great recession/depression and almost single handedly undid 100 years of American foreign policy and diplomacy. Cheney himself picked a candidate so vile, incompetent and in fact, evil, that he has no business at all complaining about Sarah Palin, no matter how ruthlessly shit she was.

Cheney should fucking leave this country and move to Argentina and never open his twisted mouth ever again. And even when god himself tried to explode Cheney's heart, he delayed his fatass passage through the eye of a needle by using money and influence to jump to he top of a waiting list that presumably stopped some better deserving candidate from getting a new heart.

Shut the fuck up, forever, Cheney you evil, destructive piece of shit. At least Bush was just a patsy.

Horrible coverage. Horrible delivery.

I wish there was a way to forcibly void their contract without reimbursing them a cent and give another company a chance.

I got really lucky in a sense this year, and am living in Belfast and can watch everything real time. I feel your pain from years past though. I will say, the pro UK slant kinda sucks as I'd like to see more US coverage but it's entirely understandable.

AntoneM

You must have misread my post. I am saying it's quite clear the US has a military option "on the table" for Iran, but Netanyahu and those on the right continually act like we don't. It's pathetic

Not really, just, what's the point in stating the obvious?

I get why politicians do it, it would kinda be like if Goodyear came out with adds emphasizing that they use REAL rubber in their tires to imply that other manufacturers don't. Just like Romney saying that he has a military option for Iran on the table. "No shit Romney, why not insult me more by saying 'I think dogs are mans best friend' or, 'Thanksgiving is awesome, in my opinion.'"

Israel is so crazy. Poll after poll shows the broad majority wants peaceful resolutions, but Warhawk right wingers and settlers have other ideas.

Kind of gives you hope that the unheard majority can get it done some day, though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Israel is so crazy. Poll after poll shows the broad majority wants peaceful resolutions, but Warhawk right wingers and settlers have other ideas.

Kind of gives you hope that the unheard majority can get it done some day, though.

It's always the squeaky wheel. A majority on both sides probably think the same way, maybe one day they'll decide to work together or something and just tell the warhawks to fuck off.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Jewish voters are highly educated and favor a pragmatic approach to the issue of Israel and Palestine rather than a cowboy solution that involves declaring whole Jerusalem as Israel's capital and nuking Iran. Only people Romney can court with his nonsense are Evangelicals.

Amazing generalization.

I remember in 2008, a friend who is Jewish was telling me McCain had to win, if Obama won Iran would attack Israel. And this is not something only he believed, all the kids from his generation in his entourage believed the same: must attack Iran, Obama is weak, if Obama is elected there will be war. And that was in Canada.

Add to this the people who directed US foreign police during the Bush years and pretty much all PNAC directors (Paul Wolfowitz, William Kristol, Elliott Abrams, Robert Kagan, Randy Scheunemann (McCain foreign adviser in 2008), etc.), you'd have to be joking to think Romney's doing this only for Christian evangelicals.

What the Israeli population themselves believe is a whole other story, and is often completely at odds with what the political figureheads believe, and of absolutely no bearing to the opinions and agenda US presidents, congressmen, etc. Israelis are facing the same problems we are facing when it comes to lack of political representation and accountability.

anyone rooting for romneys horse on thursday?;-)

I have this long list of items where I wonder what would Republicans say if Obama:
-Had a horse in an Olympic event with a French name (Dressage) and often known as "Horse ballet"
-had 5 sons with none in military
-Refused to release more than 2 years of his tax returns
-Avoided the draft by hanging out in Paris, France trying to get people to join his outside-the-mainstream religion
-etc.

You know they would go berserk with all that material.

FyreWulff

I have this long list of items where I wonder what would Republicans say if Obama:
-Had a horse in an Olympic event with a French name (Dressage) and often known as "Horse ballet"
-had 5 sons with none in military
-Refused to release more than 2 years of his tax returns
-Avoided the draft by hanging out in Paris, France trying to get people to join his outside-the-mainstream religion
-etc.

You know they would go berserk with all that material.

I just realized.

Is this the first election for the US presidency where neither of the two lead candidates have been in the military?

edit: off the top of my head in recent history:

2008: McCain
2004: Bush and Kerrey
2000: Bush and Gore
1996: Dole
1992: Bush Sr
1988: Bush Sr and Dukakis
1984: Reagan and Mondale

etc

DeWitt Clinton and James Madison (1812) never served IIRC.

That was the first campaign where there were really only two candidates.

I guess after I eat some lunch I could go check manually. Have to have something to do while stuff compiles, heh

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
DeWitt Clinton and James Madison (1812) never served IIRC.

That was the first campaign where there were really only two candidates.

FDR vs. Dewey 1944 would be the previous one? I only assume that FDR never served, he's a bit later than my time of interest.

Chichikov

Amazing generalization.

I remember in 2008, a friend who is Jewish was telling me McCain had to win, if Obama won Iran would attack Israel. And this is not something only he believed, all the kids from his generation in his entourage believed the same: must attack Iran, Obama is weak, if Obama is elected there will be war. And that was in Canada.

Add to this the people who directed US foreign police during the Bush years and pretty much all PNAC directors (Paul Wolfowitz, William Kristol, Elliott Abrams, Robert Kagan, Randy Scheunemann (McCain foreign adviser in 2008), etc.), you'd have to be joking to think Romney's doing this only for Christian evangelicals.

What the Israeli population themselves believe is a whole other story, and is often completely at odds with what the political figureheads believe, and of absolutely no bearing to the opinions and agenda US presidents, congressmen, etc. Israelis are facing the same problems we are facing when it comes to lack of political representation and accountability.
And yet Jews broke for Obama 78 to 22.
Not that it would matter all that much either way, Jews are less than 2% of the population and last time they favored a Republican candidate was, well, never, at least since we started measuring such things (and yeah, that includes Mondale, Dukakis, Carter and Stevenson).

This is mostly for evangelicals/the anti-Muslim crowd and a little bit for the money.

Anyone see Michelle hug the entire Olympic team?
She's lucky Kobe doesn't really like black chicks.

Holy crap at the shit spewing out of Romeny's mouth on CNN in his Israeli speech.

Disgusting speech. He would literally destroy our relation with every arab state.

Calling Jersualem the capital, no mention of Palestinians nor peace. Bathering on about Values and Capitalism. This guy can't become president.

And I'm considered disgustingly pro-israel on here.

Measley

Holy crap at the shit spewing out of Romeny's mouth on CNN in his Israeli speech.

Disgusting speech. He would literally destroy our relation with every arab state.

Calling Jersualem the capital, no mention of Palestinians nor peace. Bathering on about Values and Capitalism. This guy can't become president.

And I'm considered disgustingly pro-israel on here.

No one should be surprised. He has to be to the right of Obama on foreign policy, so the only way you can go from there is to declare war on the Arabs.

He also wants to line the pockets of numerous businesses that would benefit from a ramped up U.S. war machine.

Stinkles

Amazing generalization.

Sure. There are lots of stupid uneducated Jewish people, but it's fair to say that even a Jewish, or specifically Israeli dumbass, has a far better grasp of the local geopolitics than Mitt Romney and his base, no matter how mild, middling or radical their biases may be.

Romney is a clown. Bush was more eloquent on foreign policy than the gutless Romney. I enjoy the fact that the whole frickin world doesn't mock the president anymore.

Speaking of fun things, the GOP Texas Senate runoff is tomorrow. I'm interested to see if all of the out of state support for Cruz fails. He's running on a platform that Dewhurtst has *gasp* cooperated with Democrats and thus is not fit for the GOP nomination. I hate to have been inspired by Newsroom, but the idiocy of the Tea Party never ceases to amaze me.

I'm actually pulling for Dewhurst in this one.

Romney is a clown. Bush was more eloquent on foreign policy than the gutless Romney. I enjoy the fact that the whole frickin world doesn't mock the president anymore.

Speaking of fun things, the GOP Texas Senate runoff is tomorrow. I'm interested to see if all of the out of state support for Cruz fails. He's running on a platform that Dewhurtst has *gasp* cooperated with Democrats and thus is not fit for the GOP nomination. I hate to have been inspired by Newsroom, but the idiocy of the Tea Party never ceases to amaze me.

I'm actually pulling for Dewhurst in this one.
if cruz wins ive lost all hope for texas

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
No one should be surprised. He has to be to the right of Obama on foreign policy, so the only way you can go from there is to declare war on the Arabs.

He also wants to line the pockets of numerous businesses that would benefit from a ramped up U.S. war machine.

Last economic boom started with the Iraq invasion (March 19 2003).

2hG3c.jpg

Last economic boom started with the Iraq invasion (March 19 2003).

2hG3c.jpg
Is that the stock market? That's not the economy.

We're not talking about going to war due to some evil contractors. It's because his advisors and neo cons. Need a Soviet type advisory. They can't understand the world has changed and are trying to make islamists into some kind of mythical evil empire. Iran is the face to their enemy

Jooney

Can someone please explain the 'let's move the capital to Jerusalem' idea? Why is America dictating to another country where they should have their capital?

Jooney

I have a serious question for republican GAF. Does anyone think Romney is a good candidate?

He would have made a respectable candidate for a different cycle. As it stands now, he is not a good fit given where the republican party is at, his opponent's platform, and the current perception of his industry experience.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Can someone please explain the 'let's move the capital to Jerusalem' idea? Why is America dictating to another country where they should have their capital?

Israel says that Jerusalem is the capital, but Tel Aviv is the internationally recognized capital. Basically a lot of the israel/palestine tension is over Jerusalem as well as the west bank. The way it is now is we are sort of on the fence about it so we don't fuck over the peace process.

Like Obama, you wouldn't understand. Its a special relationship because of our shared Sun/War God heritage.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Amazing generalization.

It's not a generalization. Obama got an overwhelmingly majority of Jewish voters. Somewhere around 70% or so. So those kids you talked to are in the minority. Jews usually vote democratic in those numbers.

Jooney

Israel says that Jerusalem is the capital, but Tel Aviv is the internationally recognized capital. Basically a lot of the israel/palestine tension is over Jerusalem as well as the west bank. The way it is now is we are sort of on the fence about it so we don't fuck over the peace process.

Thanks. So basically moving the capital there would enflame the Palestinians and push back the peace process back, no? Seems like an awful idea, which is why I'm not surprised Gingrinch and Romney are for it.

Thanks. So basically moving the capital there would enflame the Palestinians and push back the peace process back, no? Seems like an awful idea, which is why I'm not surprised Gingrinch and Romney are for it.

Jerusalem is a city claimed as holy by all three of the Abrahamic religions. Israel had part of Jerusalem pre 67 but took it all in the 6-day war. Both the Palestinians and the Israelis would like to claim Jerusalem as their capital. A lot of peace plans like to punt on the issue and just say Jerusalem should be declared an international city. Giving it solidly to Israel ensures no peace.

Amazing generalization.

Jewish Beltway types are detached from the greater Jewish community in a similar fashion to Beltway Catholic and Bishop organizations being unrepresentative of the greater Catholic polity.

On the Left, I'd say Labor Union leaders are generally further left of their membership.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Jerusalem is a city claimed as holy by all three of the Abrahamic religions. Israel had part of Jerusalem pre 67 but took it all in the 6-day war. Both the Palestinians and the Israelis would like to claim Jerusalem as their capital. A lot of peace plans like to punt on the issue and just say Jerusalem should be declared an international city. Giving it solidly to Israel ensures no peace.

I wouldn't call it a punt on the issue, really unless the two countries come together as one (never gonna happen) something will need to be done with the city. Giving it to either side will just fuck the whole process over.

I guess I should have expected it but unlike Bush who I think really did care about Arabs even though he obviously was wrong. Romney seems actually hostile to them and like he doesn't care. Romney talks about Islamists like they are always evil people but Bush to his credit spent much of his time talking about how the vast majority of Muslims were good decent people and that the terrorist and those that twist the religion are a very small minority (obviously his wars didn't reflect this but retorically and I think personally he thought this.) Romney and the tea party on the other hand seems to really believe Islam is by nature something extreamly alien to Christianity and that muslims have to actively prove that they are good instead of the other way around. I mean you had the GOP leadership defending Bachman's comments.

Also did Romeny really say this? When refering to Israel and the US in his speech.
We both believe in democracy, in the right of every people to select their leaders and choose their nation's course.

We both believe in the rule of law, knowing that in its absence, willful men may incline to oppress the weak.
without the slightest sense of irony?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom