• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jooney

Jerusalem is a city claimed as holy by all three of the Abrahamic religions. Israel had part of Jerusalem pre 67 but took it all in the 6-day war. Both the Palestinians and the Israelis would like to claim Jerusalem as their capital. A lot of peace plans like to punt on the issue and just say Jerusalem should be declared an international city. Giving it solidly to Israel ensures no peace.

Thanks Spec.

I have a serious question for republican GAF. Does anyone think Romney is a good candidate?

Republicans would disagree entirely with your portrayal of America.

The GAFFERs who present themselves as Republicans, who would talk politics in this thread are far to the left of the typical Republican thought.

That includes folks like Kosmo.

Your typical Republican believes that America is moving away from its Christian roots, we no longer pledge allegiance to the flag, and that Obama is ruining our image in foreign countries eyes.

When you talk about Romney's miscues with this speech, Republicans instead will focus on this article:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/n...top-ten-insults-against-britain-2012-edition/

Personally, what worries me about Romney isn't this British nonsense. His comments regarding Russia display an alarming lack of knowledge about modern foreign policy, and are extremely worrisome. His comments regarding Israel are also powder keg comments. I guarantee you Iran will start producing highly enriched uranium ASAP if he's elected.

thatbox

Banned
Republicans would disagree entirely with your portrayal of America.

The GAFFERs who present themselves as Republicans, who would talk politics in this thread are far to the left of the typical Republican thought.

That includes folks like Kosmo.

Your typical Republican believes that America is moving away from its Christian roots, we no longer pledge allegiance to the flag, and that Obama is ruining our image in foreign countries eyes.

When you talk about Romney's miscues with this speech, Republicans instead will focus on this article:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/n...top-ten-insults-against-britain-2012-edition/

Personally, what worries me about Romney isn't this British nonsense. His comments regarding Russia display an alarming lack of knowledge about modern foreign policy, and are extremely worrisome. His comments regarding Israel are also powder keg comments. I guarantee you Iran will start producing highly enriched uranium ASAP if he's elected.

I was in France during November of 2008 and, as far as I could tell, very nearly all of Europe was hoping for an Obama victory.

I was in France during November of 2008 and, as far as I could tell, very nearly all of Europe was hoping for an Obama victory.

And all of Europe is still hoping for an Obama victory.

However, you are dealing with a group of people who have their own version of reality.

Jooney

Bill Clinton to deliver key speech at the convention:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/u...ve-marquee-role-at-democratic-convention.html

Former President Bill Clinton is set to play a central part in the Democratic convention, aides said, and will formally place President Obama’s name into nomination by delivering a prime-time speech designed to present a forceful economic argument for why Mr. Obama deserves to win a second term.

The prominent role of Mr. Clinton, which is scheduled to be announced on Monday, signals an effort by the Obama campaign to pull out all the stops to rally Democrats when they gather for their party’s national convention in Charlotte, N.C. An even more important audience will be the voters across the country who will see the address carried by television networks.

“There isn’t anybody on the planet who has a greater perspective on not just the last four years, but the last two decades, than Bill Clinton,” David Axelrod, a top strategist to the Obama campaign, said in an interview on Sunday. “He can really articulate the choice that is before people.”

The decision to give Mr. Clinton a marquee speech on Sept. 5 at the convention means that Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. will not speak until the final night, aides said, when he and Mr. Obama will appear together outdoors at Bank of America Stadium. The vice president will introduce Mr. Obama before they accept the party’s nomination for a second term in the White House.

Bill Clinton: Less Tax, More Sax.

I doubt any recent presidents outside of Clinton will be non-toxic enough to do that at conventions. Bush can't do one, Obama probably won't even be allowed to attend the 2016 dem convention considering candidates will be running away from his record while trying to beat President Romney

bananas

Banned
I doubt any recent presidents outside of Clinton will be non-toxic enough to do that at conventions. Bush can't do one, Obama probably won't even be allowed to attend the 2016 dem convention considering candidates will be running away from his record while trying to beat President Romney

It's easy to type that. I'd love to see you say it aloud while keeping a straight face.

Also Mark Warner makes sense. I'm not a fan, but he seems quite potent. Business owner, popular governor, senator, from a swing state...

Anyone but Cuomo

Jooney

149437319-jpg_211944.jpg

I know you can read my thoughts, America. Just remember, if I find out you voted Obama, your ass is mine. Yes, you heard me. I think words I would never say.

I can't be the only one that sees it...?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Eh... I'll give it a 6/10. Possibly a 6.8.

Averon

George W Bush is done with politics, I think. He seems to enjoy being a private citizen, and I heard nothing from him that suggests his desire to jump back into the fray. In fact, I don't think he even likes what the GOP has become since he left office.

Jerusalem is a city claimed as holy by all three of the Abrahamic religions. Israel had part of Jerusalem pre 67 but took it all in the 6-day war. Both the Palestinians and the Israelis would like to claim Jerusalem as their capital. A lot of peace plans like to punt on the issue and just say Jerusalem should be declared an international city. Giving it solidly to Israel ensures no peace.
West jerusalem was israels capital and east jerusalem was part of jordan as per armistice lines, but israel annexed east jerusalem (which hosts temple mount/ aqsa) after six day war and refused to concede it ever since

RDreamer

George W Bush is done with politics, I think. He seems to enjoy being a private citizen, and I heard nothing from him that suggests his desire to jump back into the fray. In fact, I don't think he even likes what the GOP has become since he left office.

BaP4i.jpg

Are you going to have a heart attack if/when Obama wins? Or will you just start talking about dems in 2014 are screwed.

RDreamer

I kind of feel silly for it. I kind of feel like it's probably the same sky is falling sort of stuff that the right felt when Obama was elected, but I still can't shake it. I feel like they should have been able to logically look at it and say "Ok it won't be so bad," whereas I really can't logically see how that outcome could be anything but completely awful.... and coming at such a crucial time in my life, when I'm supposed to be building a family and really starting out just makes it worse.

I kind of feel silly for it. I kind of feel like it's probably the same sky is falling sort of stuff that the right felt when Obama was elected, but I still can't shake it. I feel like they should have been able to logically look at it and say "Ok it won't be so bad," whereas I really can't logically see how that outcome could be anything but completely awful.... and coming at such a crucial time in my life, when I'm supposed to be building a family and really starting out just makes it worse.

I know a lot of what they say they want will be fought I mean look how neutered Obama was even with a supermajority.

But the rhetoric does scare me.

Chichikov

Just a few years ago we had a Republican congress and a Republican white house with 70% approval rating.
And yeah, they started a stupid ass war, on the domestic front (which I assume is what you're worried about), what were they able to achieve?
They can't cut medicare or social security, so they'll make their only move - cut taxes to create a crisis we just have to deal with.
But they've been doing it already, and it still didn't persuade the American public to cut the big 3.

Gray Man

Banned
Viable, intelligent, decent, electable.

I think Mitt Romney would be a much better candidate if the GOP wasn't in such a fractured, unstable, radical state.

I'm a little worried PoliGAF. I know I shouldn't vote for Mitt Romney for some very good reasons, but at the same time I'm just not convinced about Obama's handling of the economy... Its not going anywhere, people are growing impatient.

Karakand

That's why I said a Portion, like Sheldon Adelson and a few other Romney bundlers. Obama will have a lower share among Jewish voters than 2008 for the simple reason that economy sucks.

Let's be real, you used a slimy qualifier to distinguish an irrelevant electoral body so no one would tell you to take it back to Stormfront.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Wait, what's this referencing?

PD occasionally attempts a particularly galling troll, and we occasionally rate them on a scale of obvious to outstanding, depending on how many non-regulars he ropes in with the bullshit. He's a closet Obama fan, knows the economy is improving, and has all the evidence he needs -- just like all of us -- that Obama will win with 320+ EV, but for whatever reason he has to pretend otherwise. Some say it's over a stupid avatar bet, others, like me, think it's something much, much deeper.

PD occasionally attempts a particularly galling troll, and we occasionally rate them on a scale of obvious to outstanding, depending on how many non-regulars he ropes in with the bullshit. He's a closet Obama fan, knows the economy is improving, and has all the evidence he needs -- just like all of us -- that Obama will win with 320+ EV, but for whatever reason he has to pretend otherwise. Some say it's over a stupid avatar bet, others, like me, think it's something much, much deeper.

We have to go deeper.

Obamaception.

RDreamer

Just a few years ago we had a Republican congress and a Republican white house with 70% approval rating.
And yeah, they started a stupid ass war, on the domestic front (which I assume is what you're worried about), what were they able to achieve?
They can't cut medicare or social security, so they'll make their only move - cut taxes to create a crisis we just have to deal with.
But they've been doing it already, and it still didn't persuade the American public to cut the big 3.

Not really. That's just kind of the cherry on the top. A really fucking scary cherry on they top, but still.

I'm worried that inequality will grow even further.

I'm worried we'll be back to square one with health care.

I'm worried that the economy would dip again.

I'm worried that the supreme court could get even more conservative, and that could stay for quite some time.

I'm worried that they will muck around with social security and making medicare into a voucher system.

I'm worried regulations will not be put into place and even possibly put further back, meaning another collapse like the one that caused the recession could happen again at any point.

I'm worried that the push for less and less spending means our infrastructure and education system will continue to fall behind, and soon most civilized countries around the world will be far ahead of us to a point where we just won't be able to compete on a global scale on things.

I also personally want to see a complete revamp of our higher education system, and I think this is vital to the future of the country. I really don't have that much faith in the democrats doing this, but I have faith that Romney and the GOP will go backwards on it.

I also don't want to go backwards on social issues, or even get stalled on them. Sure Romney may not be able to pass some sort of federal marriage amendment, but he sure as hell isn't going to progress things at all.

Sure, some of these things, like mucking with social security and making medicare into a voucher system could be unraveled by the time I'm supposed to take advantage of them, but that still puts us back years of progression in my mind. Also the other things really screw up a time when, again, I'm supposed to be growing and building a family. If the economy dips again and inequality continues to grow that fucks over a lot of us young people quite a bit. Most of your monetary gain throughout your entire career happens in your beginning years, and mine have already been not so great monetarily.

I think Mitt Romney would be a much better candidate if the GOP wasn't in such a fractured, unstable, radical state.

I'm a little worried PoliGAF. I know I shouldn't vote for Mitt Romney for some very good reasons, but at the same time I'm just not convinced about Obama's handling of the economy... Its not going anywhere, people are growing impatient.

It's going somewhere. If you take out the first 6 months to a year of his presidency, where his policies had yet to really take much effect, you have an upward trajectory. Yes it's going slow, but if you were to take a look at some of the previous pages you'd see why. The government and its share in job creation is shrinking at a time when it absolutely should not be. The only way Romney might fix this is... by going to war with Iran and spending government money. I dunno about you, but I'd rather have government spending be in the areas of infrastructure and our future rather than making all brown people our enemy from now on...

thatbox

Banned
This is just an incredibly polite way of saying that Mitt Romney takes on the shape of his container.

What Romney policies do you think will improve it faster?

They can't cut medicare or social security...

I'm not sure that's true anymore. Much of the politically aware are radicalized in a very dangerous way. The very fact that politicans are openly declaring that is what they will do means that there is a significant base of politically active people willing to support it. The political landscape has changed greatly, thanks to AM radio and Fox News, i.e., thanks to the precursor efforts of business to deregulate media. Liberals underestimate the strength of this proto-fascist movement.

But what is the GOP going to do to make the economy better? Their whole schtick is "do nothing".

The GOP's plan seems to be repeal ACA and repeal Dodd-Frank so we reset things to exactly where they were when Bush left office. Yeah, and the economy was doing great with those polices. Yee-haw.

Mitt won't say what his real plans are . . . he just issues the vague "cut tax rates, eliminate deductions, broaden the base". But people familiar with the tax code know what that means . . . it means raise taxes on the lower & middle class while cutting them for the rich. Will that help the economy? I doubt it. But his friends will benefit. Of course, I doubt they'll be able to pass much of it . . . how are they gonna cut taxes when deficits are already so huge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom